Start by marking “Descendant” as Want to Read:
Descendant

Descendant

Californian James Falcon's compelling Romanian mother told him so many folk stories that by the time he reaches college in 1943, he is something of an expert on the strigoi, the legendary, undying vampires who infested the most isolated forests of Wallachia. Mostly as a joke, he writes a term paper on the strigoi. But the joke turns serious when US counterintelligence appr ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Severn House Publishers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Descendant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Descendant

Anna
Jun 07, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires
ok, I am totally unforgiven that I also forgot I read that book as well.....

Being a goth some years ago, I was obsessed about vampire literature. Of course I read Twilight, I enjoyed it in its own way that time, but ok.... Vampires are not sensitive young vegan boys... vampire desire blood, and they always get what they want (yeah, I am a Lestat fan!). They are dangerous for the public and people must know nothing of their existence. They are charming as hell, lethal and share no feeling.

The s
Ken
Nov 20, 2014 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "Descendant", Masterton draws on the Romanian folklore of the strigoi, the immortal vampires, to weave a tale that crosses WWII and the decade or so after its end.

Jim Falcon, is an American academician who, due to a paper he wrote, is called upon to hunt strigoi in WWII's European theater. After the war, Jim is happy to walk away and live his happy life.

But, when post-war evidence of strigoi emerges in London, Jim is again called upon to address what has become his specialty.

I really enjoyed
Bandit
Nov 16, 2011 Bandit rated it really liked it
Graham Masterton is simply too good of a writer to put out a crap book. This, however, isn't his strongest effort. It's short and entertaining, but I'd caution anyone against judging Masterton's talents based on this book. It's a take on a classic vampire hunter against vampires story, starring Romanian strigoi. I like the fact that it feels like Masterton does research for every book, but never bores you with it, merely adds color and detail and vividness. What I didn't like was the morality (i ...more
Tammy
Jun 27, 2011 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
Enjoyable read. But the protagonist wasn't the swiftest vamp hunter. He was awfully cavalier about squandering Last Supper bullets.
Viola
Oct 14, 2014 Viola rated it it was amazing
I love Masterton's interpretation of vampires. he keeps things freaky
Odinson
Το μόνο πρόβλημα που είχε πάντα ο κατα τα άλλα υπέροχος Graham Masterton είναι τα τελιώματα στα βιβλία του, κατα την προσωπική μου άποψη. Σε αυτό εδώ το πολύ καλό βιβλίο, δεν υπάρχει αυτό το "μειονέκτημα", αλλά δυστυχώς για εμένα, είχα καταλάβει το τέλος πολύ πριν το διαβάσω. Πάντως οι εικόνες που δημιουργεί είναι πάρα πολύ καλές για το είδος και το προτείνω σίγουρα στους φαν.
Xenophon Hendrix
Ben
Jan 20, 2015 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cold War intrigue AND a horde of ancient immortal vampires swarming across the Eastern Bloc? Yes, please.
Brittany
Mar 23, 2014 Brittany rated it really liked it
A nice read with vivid imagery till the very end, which makes no sense at all. I can't understand who is narrating the end of the narrative frame.
Glen
Jul 26, 2014 Glen rated it it was amazing
brilliant "vampire" novel
Edward Smith
Aug 27, 2016 Edward Smith rated it it was amazing
Always a thrill to read Graham Masterson. If you haven't read him you are missing one of the best in Horror.
Linda
Aug 30, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
This book had an interesting twist on vampires. I'm glad I read it but again I can only give it 3 stars. Too many slow parts when you felt like it should be fast. When the story line was moving quickly it was hard to put it down. I will try another book by this author in the future.
Robin Edman
Fi
I used to read every Masterton book I could get my hands on but this was one of the last I read. A huge disappointment and definitely not on a par with most of his earlier work.
Michala
Mar 21, 2013 Michala rated it it was amazing
fantastic book really enjoyed this
Blair
Nov 15, 2011 Blair rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very fast halloween read.
Leigh Wilkinson
Leigh Wilkinson marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Baru De
Baru De rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Cathy Sedgwick
Cathy Sedgwick marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Sam Malane
Sam Malane rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Ysabol Humphrey-Roberts
Ysabol Humphrey-Roberts rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Drweeny
Drweeny marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
steve martella
steve martella rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Ben Varner
Ben Varner marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Agnes Tan Li Keng
Agnes Tan Li Keng rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Myst
Myst marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
  • God's Eye
  • Sunrise in a Garden of Love & Evil (Bayou Gavotte, #2)
  • Anything can be Dangerous
  • The Minotauress
  • Lot Lizards
  • Bob Moore: No Hero  (Bob Moore, #1)
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
  • If I Were You (Stories from the Golden Age, #5)
  • The Spear
  • Mozart's Blood
  • Ancient Images
  • Crustaceans
  • Wild Blood
  • Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter (Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter Book 1)
  • Bloodwar
  • 23 Hours (Laura Caxton, #4)
  • Funland
  • Skin Medicine
Graham Masterton was born in Edinburgh in 1946. His grandfather was Thomas Thorne Baker, the eminent scientist who invented DayGlo and was the first man to transmit news photographs by wireless. After training as a newspaper reporter, Graham went on to edit the new British men's magazine Mayfair, where he encouraged William Burroughs to develop a series of scientific and philosophical articles whi ...more
More about Graham Masterton...