Start by marking “Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat, or, under the Ocean for Sunken Treasure (Tom Swift Sr, #4)” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat, or, under the Ocean for Sunken Treasure (Tom Swift #4)

American boys' fiction under pseudonym used by the Stratemeyer Syndicate who produced Tom Swift series, Nancy Drew mysteries, the Hardy Boys, Dave Fearless and many others.
Published July 7th 2006 by Dodo Press (first published January 1st 1910)

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat, or, under the Ocean for Sunken Treasure

Erik Graff
Mar 03, 2013 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-adolescent boys
Recommended to Erik by: Mrs. Whittaker
Shelves: literature
At age five Dad got a house in unincorporated Kane County, Illinois. Although far from his job at Honeywell in Rosemont, he snapped it up because of a G.I. subsidy which had the government pick up the tab on the downpayment. The Meadowdale development was so new that there were no lawns, no sidewalks and nothing nearby except farms, a creek and a wooded hill. There wasn't even a school yet so the move ended my brief experience of kindergarten. All the houses looked the same, just different color ...more
John Oswalt
Not horrible fast-paced adventure fiction, aimed at early teens. But I'm afraid the scientific inaccuracies piled up too fast and deep for me to ignore them, and I can't give it more than 2 stars. I know it was written in 1910, but diving suits and sharks and giant squids at 2 miles depth? Cruising for days a mile and a half deep? Positive and negative electric plates fore and aft as a propulsion system? And it isn't so easy to tail a submarine as the bad guys manage to do (without sonar, even), ...more
David Hibberd
I read the Tom Swift Sr. books as a child and again when I got my Kindle in 2010. They are an easy read and enjoyable. It is interesting to see how writing has changed since these books were written.
Marty Greenwell
Dec 07, 2015 Marty Greenwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting to read a 105 year old book on my 61st birthday. Part of it I read in my "man cave" on the 3rd floor. The story was not challenging but the prose was so polite, either because of who wrote it or the times of 1910. Interesting but don't need to do this again. Tom Swift the adventurer!
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
Really good old classic young readers book about a young inventor that invents this awesome inventions and then goes on these wild and crazy adventures, sometimes getting into trouble in the process.
Rich Meyer
Dec 18, 2015 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Excellent Tom Swift adventure. This one was the first in the original series to have an actual pulp adventure feel to me. The. writing also was a step up from the usual on these sorts of tales.
Darius
Jul 18, 2013 Darius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure at what age I read Tom Swift, but I remembered nothing at all, except that he was a boy-inventor. So, I wanted to check it out.

The book had a lot of twists and turns -- I suspect chapters may have been serialized in a newspaper or magazine. It completely lacks teenage angst and cynicism. (Lot's of action-oriented melodrama, no drama.)

The level is probably elementary grades, a bit below the first Harry Potter book. Though it is a bit dated, I think kids might still like it, at that a
Gail
Generally I find the Tom Swift novels moderately entertaining as a peek into the past of 100 years ago.

I'm not always sure if I know more than the authors because my education was better than theirs, or if I'm just older and had more time to learn. Or maybe they didn’t want to strain their readers’ credulity. Sometimes knowledge has progressed beyond what was known at the time of writing.

There are many faults to be found within these pages but still, they have something.
Bill Bean
Dec 30, 2015 Bill Bean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Capital! Good read!

Tom Swift's adventures are great, old stories and wholesome classics! I thoroughly enjoyed it and I definitely recommend reading it
Travis Binkley
May 02, 2012 Travis Binkley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
all tom swift books are awsome.
Nana
Dec 22, 2013 Nana marked it as homeschool-past  ·  review of another edition
Good series
Kevin Kauffman
Kevin Kauffman marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Christian Linn
Christian Linn rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Debbie Ruryk
Debbie Ruryk marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Jnlrussell
Jnlrussell marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Nathan Sorenson
Nathan Sorenson is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2016
Eric Coop
Eric Coop rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Heidi Zielke
Heidi Zielke marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Melissa Ondercin
Melissa Ondercin rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Greg Giordano
Greg Giordano rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Tim J Campbell
Tim J Campbell rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Nancy
Nancy added it
Apr 23, 2016
Sus
Sus added it
Apr 18, 2016
Stephen Campbell
Stephen Campbell rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Alan Gold
Alan Gold rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Frank Bruni
Frank Bruni rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
  • Tom Swift and the Electronic Hydrolung  (Tom Swift Jr, #18)
  • The Bobbsey Twins on a Houseboat (Bobbsey Twins, #6)
  • The Lion of St. Mark: A Story of Venice in the 14th Century
Victor Appleton was a house pseudonym used by the Stratemeyer Syndicate and its successors, most famous for being associated with the Tom Swift series of books.

The character of Tom Swift was conceived in 1910 by Edward Stratemeyer, founder of the Stratemeyer Syndicate, a book-packaging company. Stratemeyer invented the series to capitalize on the market for
More about Victor Appleton...

Tom Swift (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Tom Swift and His Motor-Cycle, or, Fun and Adventures on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #1)
  • Tom Swift And His Motor-boat (Tom Swift Sr, #2)
  • Tom Swift and His Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #3)
  • Tom Swift and His Electric Runabout, or, the Speediest Car on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #5)
  • Tom Swift and His Wireless Message: or, the castaways of Earthquake island (Tom Swift Sr, #6)
  • Tom Swift Among the Diamond Makers, or, the Secret of Phantom Mountain (Tom Swift Sr, #7)
  • Tom Swift in the Caves of Ice, or, the Wreck of the Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #8)
  • Tom Swift and His Sky Racer, or, the Quickest Flight on Record (Tom Swift Sr, #9)
  • Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift Sr, #10)
  • Tom Swift in the City of Gold (Tom Swift Sr, #11)