Start by marking “War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death” as Want to Read:
War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death

War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
War Made Easy cuts through the dense web of spin to probe and scrutinize the key "perception management" techniques that have played huge roles in the promotion of American wars in recent decades. This guide to disinformation analyzes American military adventures past and present to reveal striking similarities in the efforts of various administrations to justify, and reta ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Wiley (first published June 1st 2005)

Brent
Mar 08, 2009 Brent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a feel-good book. As the title implies, the book details many of the times that government officials have lied to the American people in order to gain support for their war plans. It isn't pleasant to think that our leaders lie to us--it seems like something that only happens in other countries--but it is an ugly truth that we should know about.

We already know about many of the lies surrounding the Vietnam war and the recent Iraq war, but the book also details lies surrounding the in
Christopher Carbone
Apr 16, 2009 Christopher Carbone rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to read about mass marketing war
I must stress that this book is, basically, “preaching to the converted” insofar as anyone who believes the US goes to war too easily will love it, while those who think “US All the Way” will barely get by the prologue. However, the book has some great insights into how the United States packages its war for mass consumption; how we are usually the aggressor but claim otherwise; how we gather “evidence” and then when its proven wrong pretend like we never meant it in the first place, and how no ...more
Claire
Jun 14, 2015 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about how to spot a propaganda campaign and differentiate it from news. No wonder at first I disliked it, since I had just been Marxist-Leninist'ed into last century.

I was thinking I might not want to mention I had this book at all, since I did not like it on face value, but then I decided, I can't fill Goodreads with only my 4- and 5-star adoration reviews if I want to be regarded as an honest reader, as everyone has likes and dislikes. (There's little I can do about my fixations o
Mlg
Nov 13, 2013 Mlg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goering once said "The people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders" and this book shows how right he was. Taking just the period from the 1960's to the present, Solomon shows how Presidents and the government lie to the people and manipulate the data in order to get the country to go to war. Newspapers are also complicit, parroting administration lies instead of doing real, investigative journalism. They assist in downplaying the realities of war calling civilian casualties "c ...more
Kevin Summers
Apr 30, 2015 Kevin Summers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sample quote: "As an astute cliche says, truth is the first casualty of war. But another early casualty is conscience. ... Conscience is not on the military's radar screen, and it's not on our television screen. But government officials and media messages do not define the limits and possibilities of conscience. We do."
Bob Hochstein
Apr 20, 2012 Bob Hochstein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really laid it out and spelled out how sometimes President in conjunction with the media and Congress put their spin when it comes to going to war. It clearly shows that when a President is bound and determined to go to war for various reasons, that there is nothing stopping them unless the key advisors and members of Congress raise enough questions.
Larry Bassett
Jun 02, 2010 Larry Bassett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, political
This is definitely a preaching to the choir book. But I completely enjoyed reading it. I have to remember Vietnam was 45 years ago so it might be a bit over covered here. But the story is probably not familiar to the new generations and it is repeated here fairly well.
Bruce
Mar 03, 2009 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because of our leaders and pundits propensity to lie we have a problem: When nothing need be proven, then no war need be justified, ahead of time or later on. Power is a great aphrodisiac.
nathan
Oct 22, 2007 nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any left wing pundit
This is a good solid read about how the Media and the U.S government come together to sell the american people wars.
Go to you tube and type in war made easy part 2..an excellent little video there.
Doug
Mar 09, 2010 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An insightful, well-written tour of the pattern of presidential war deceptions over the past few decades. If you can't read the book get the film documentary with the same name.
Hugh Macnab
Hugh Macnab rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Shelby MacArthur
Shelby MacArthur marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
stephen joseph terry
stephen joseph terry rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Roundwater
Roundwater marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Maamar Huq
Maamar Huq marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Adriana
Adriana marked it as to-read
Zaka
Zaka marked it as to-read
Austin Josephs
Austin Josephs marked it as to-read
Svetlio Vasilev
Svetlio Vasilev marked it as to-read
Veronica Goin
Veronica Goin marked it as to-read
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Cory Hall
Cory Hall marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
sirinsy guadarrama
sirinsy guadarrama marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
George
George marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Castillo family
Castillo family rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Randy Johnson
Randy Johnson rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
  • PR!: A Social History Of Spin
  • A Pretext for War: 9/11, Iraq, and the  Abuse of America's Intelligence Agencies
  • Overblown: How Politicians and the Terrorism Industry Inflate National Security Threats, and Why We Believe Them
  • The Age of McCarthyism: A Brief History with Documents
  • Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media
  • American Orientalism: The United States and the Middle East Since 1945
  • The Liberal Defence of Murder
  • Rethinking Camelot: JFK, the Vietnam War and US Political Culture
  • Through Our Enemies' Eyes: Osama bin Laden, Radical Islam, and the Future of America
  • Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism
  • A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order
Norman Solomon is an American journalist, media critic, antiwar activist, and former candidate in 2012 for the United States House of Representatives.

Solomon is a longtime associate of the media watch group Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting (FAIR).

In 1997 he founded the Institute for Public Accuracy, which works to provide alternative sources for journalists, and served as its executive directo
More about Norman Solomon...