Start by marking “Hamburger Hill: The Brutal Battle for Dong Ap Bia: May 11-20, 1969” as Want to Read:
Hamburger Hill: The Brutal Battle for Dong Ap Bia: May 11-20, 1969

Hamburger Hill: The Brutal Battle for Dong Ap Bia: May 11-20, 1969

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The battle for Ap Bia Mountain (Hill 937), was one of the fiercest of the entire Vietnam War.
Published December 6th 1999 by Presidio Press (first published October 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Hamburger Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hamburger Hill

Nick
I read the book Hamburger Hill by Samuel Zaffiri. It was about the large battle that took place between May 11th to the 20th. The story was based in Vietnam on Mount. Dong Ap Bia. The story began telling the history of the mount. starting when the indians settled there and went all the way up till the war started and units of the 101st airborne moved into the valley surrounding it. That was the beginning of the violent battle that would be known as “hamburger hill”.
This was a good book, it was
David Gray
Samuel Zaffiri has written an excelent book on one of the key battles of the Vietnam War and US History.The valor of the Soldiers that fought for this hill is in keeping with the best traditions of the US Military. Sadly it took fighting this battle, then retrograding off the terrain, to convince the Senior Leadership of the nation that the war could not be fought in this manner. The result was Vietnamization and the eventual withdrawl of US troops from Vietnam. I recommend this work to anyone t ...more
John Williams

Awesome read! The pace of the book is outstanding. The author does an amazing job conveying the feel of the battlefield. Describing the various issues faced by squad, platoon, company, battalion, as well as brigade level of command. This was an amazing fight with both sides pouring in all they have. The fact that we were focused on destroying the enemy, not terrain oriented, shows how the US wanted to find and destroy the NVA. There is nothing wrong with this. The NVA wanted a fight and they go
Jonathan
On "Vietnam in HD" on the History Channel, one of the highlights and most brutal battles was the battle to take over "Hamburger Hill," one of the scariest hills in the world. I wanted to know more, so I read this very informational and knowledgeable book.
Kevin G
Every conflict has a defining battle; Hamburger Hill defined the Vietnam war. Good men died to win the Battle for Ap Bia, this is sometimes forgotten, this book reminds us.
John
A good account of what happened at Hamburger Hill. I wasn't there, but heard a lot about it - good read if you are interested in that era.
Crystal vasquez
I love this book. It has a great view of the vietnam war. If you enjoy history then this book is just a great read.
Bigaldye
My uncle is in this book. He never talks about his Vietnam experiences but this tells it perfectly.
Debbie Joygood
Debbie Joygood marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Robert Scrivner
Robert Scrivner marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Debra Matson
Debra Matson marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Alvin Mcchester
Alvin Mcchester marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Tom
Tom added it
Jun 03, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Seamus Mcduff
Seamus Mcduff marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
happy
happy marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Michael Evans
Michael Evans marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014