Start by marking “UFOs, JFK & Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have to Be Crazy to Believe” as Want to Read:
UFOs, JFK & Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have to Be Crazy to Believe

UFOs, JFK & Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have to Be Crazy to Believe

I'm not asking you to believe every conspiracy theory you'll find in this book. . . . I didn't write this book to give you all the answers. The Warren Commission did that, and the answers were all wrong. I wrote this book to inspire you to do what the powers that be wish you wouldn't: to question authority . . . and to keep an eye out for Elvis."
--RICHARD BELZER
In UFOs, J
Published September 9th 2009 by Ballantine Books (NY) (first published May 18th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about UFOs, JFK & Elvis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UFOs, JFK & Elvis

Robert
I have to say that this is the real thing when it comes to books on conspiracy theories. And I have the evidence in my hot little hands. I checked this book out from our local public library. A regular bastion of information for the public. Well as I was reading I observed that two pages had been carefully removed, as in cut out, from this book. One page was missing in the area where Belzer was discussing the JFK assassination and the other was during the discussion of the Roswell incident. I be ...more
Rich Meyer
Dec 31, 2011 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it
Great primer for the conspiracy aficionado, centered on two of the more popular ones: the JFK assassination and UFOs. I've read the book a few times and just listened to the audiobook version (narrated by Richard Belzer himself) and it's a great overview for a subject that can be touchy in "polite" company. Belzer covers most of the high (well, more like low) points in the Kennedy Assassination rigmarole, and delves into flying saucers, the Moon landing hoax, the face on Mars and many other topi ...more
Susan
Aug 08, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
The older I get, I walk further down the path of conspiracy nut. I don't mind! It's fun! And Richard Belzer is my kind of guy that I want to walk along the path with, chatting to about all sorts of things. I only knew him from his crime TV shows, but he's also a comedian. And also an author. And also a conspiracy theorist. Go figure.

Hey, so Belzer here thinks that that dude, what's-his-face, didn't kill JFK. No lone gunman theory for him. He posits all kinds of other theories and gives well-thou
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 18, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
I can't say that I really believe the theories in this book, but Belzer's jokes and wit throughout the pages, coupled with the history and politics behind the cases, made this a very interesting one to read.
Theresahpir
Dec 10, 2015 Theresahpir rated it liked it
As posted on my blog, Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State:

This book isn't a new release by far---it was published in 1999---and it feels like its been on my Amazon Wishlist for nearly as long. It wasn't really a top priority for me in a sea of so many other awesome paranormal and weird history books, but it was on Book Outlet during their mega Black Friday sale, so I added it to the cart.

It turned out to be a good purchase!

It was a good purchase for me, but I should preface this by saying
Erik Graff
Dec 01, 2008 Erik Graff rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: conspiracy & pop culture fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Having dropped off a knapsack worth of books at the local cafe, I righteously picked up this one, intrigued by its title. A comic take on conspiracy theories! Surely, some of my friends would find this amusing.

As it happens, the book is not very funny. Indeed, the fact that its author disbelieves the government both as regards the JFK assassination and as regards UFOs works against the possibility of humor. The jokes are strained, out of place in what is basically a serious effort.

The greatest v
Jamii
I love Richard Belzer as an actor so I was ecstatic to come across this book. I'm not one who puts much thought into conspiracies, do I think the government lies or covers up things? Absolutely I just typically don't care enough to think about it in detail but this was a lovely book that went into great detail about several conspiracies and various possible scenarios and it did a fantastic job at outlining those details. Belzer is a funny man so I really enjoyed this book though there was only o ...more
M. Shannon
May 16, 2013 M. Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, 2013
The title of this book is a little misleading, Belzer makes no mention of Elvis. What he does do is a wonderful job of taking readers through all the various conspiracies surrounding the assassination of JFK and whether UFOs have made contact. As an added bonus I listened to the audio version where Belzer reads and even breaks out into song on occasion. An absolute must read/listen for anyone interested in the JFK assassination and/or UFOs.
Brian Murphy
Apr 08, 2014 Brian Murphy rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. I really love conspiracy theories and this book makes for a really smooth read. It gives you some additional info in the side bars which I also found great. Ex. Websites to see alien structures and background info about the JFK conspiracies. I would suggest this book to anyone that likes a good conspiracy theory and doesn't want to read a 1000 page book filled with 500 pages of additional info you'll never remember.
Tammy
Mar 05, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it
While I think almost every conspiracy is totally nuts, I think Belzer has a great sense of humor and I enjoyed reading this book as just a look into that world.
Matthew Hopewell
Mar 21, 2015 Matthew Hopewell rated it really liked it
Could have used more Elvis. Other than that it was a fun ride.
Brenda
Jun 20, 2016 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2016-read
I don't know if I would believe everything I read in this book but I don't trust our government very much so I could see it as plausible. doesn't get four stars for a lack of Elvis
Kommy Yazdian
Nov 22, 2015 Kommy Yazdian rated it it was amazing
I consider myself lucky to have lived long enough to have read this book this year.
Holly
May 13, 2017 Holly rated it liked it
This was a highly amusing book, but if I had not read it I would not have missed anything essential.
Mona
Dec 31, 2016 Mona rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
WHY I CHOSE THIS BOOK: I figured Richard Belzer would be funny and this would be a quick listen to end the year
SUMMARY: Belzer recounts various conspiracy theories
REVIEW: Even though I was not predisposed to conspiracy theories - many just seem cuckoo, I figured I might learn something new. Sometimes Belzer's wise-acre delivery was funny but sometimes it was just irritating. The part about JFK was the more interesting part. I certainly have questions about the official story. But some of the the
Kelly
Sep 15, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of conspiracy theories. Huge fan. Fangirl fan. And I was totally on board with the JFK stuff. It could all be true. I am even willing to believe in extraterrestrial life bc the universe is enormous and anything can be true, and is likely true. But also, why do aliens only probe farmers? It seems weird right? Like, I get you can't probe the president or whatever, but like, maybe probe someone who has a little more power, like ... an author or actor or something. Lastly, I am so bu ...more
Stacia
Jan 16, 2013 Stacia rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
This is not my normal reading fare, but I picked it up as part of a Dewey Decimal Reading Challenge (000s). So far, I'm finding it to be an entertaining look at conspiracy theories around the JFK assassination. I saw Oliver Stone's JFK movie so long ago (& don't remember many specific details about it), but this book somehow reminds me of the Stone movie....

Update: I finished the book & found it somewhat funny & entertaining. The JFK conspiracy stuff was mostly nothing new to me; I'm
Zach
May 25, 2015 Zach rated it it was ok
Okay. It was not as funny as I would have hoped.

The first half of the book focuses entirely on the JFK assassination. At times, it felt like I was reading a high school term paper, lots of referencing what other people have said/written without providing any really new insight. The one interesting part of this section was Belzer's analysis of why some of the conspiracies are more implausible (ie how would the KGB or a Cuban hit squad been able to pull of such a conspiracy in the US).

The remain
Cardinal
Aug 16, 2012 Cardinal rated it it was amazing
Extremely entertaining book about conspiracies near and dear to Richard Belzer's heart. The speculation and facts go down well, thanks to his comedic ability. I was hooked by this book and couldn't put it down. His penchant for research definitely shows, and you can easily tell he's a well-read intellectual. (My kind of guy!) I enjoyed this so much, I went to Audible.com and bought the audiobook.
Adam Watson
Jan 18, 2010 Adam Watson rated it liked it
Very good if you appreciate Belzer's wit and want a quick introduction to major conspiracy UFO and JFK conspiracies. It would be interesting to see him take on other conspiracy / cryptozoologist topics. Thin in content, but even so, I learned some new facts. I was irritated by the layout -- the text is constantly interrupted by sidebars that sometimes go on for two or three pages before coming back.
Danny Volt
Aug 18, 2013 Danny Volt rated it it was ok
The most effective way to read this book is to imagine it's a transcript of Belzer in a stand-up routine, bebunking and poking fun at "party line" against conspiracy theories.

I say "most effective" because it doesn't consider any counter-counter-arguments to JFK/UFO conspiracies — All of it is hogwash. It makes me think he's doing a send-up/satire of anti-Warren Commission/Roswell-coverup material.

If so, I'm not sure if I like that more, or less.

"But don't go by me."
Scottie Binions
Oct 04, 2015 Scottie Binions rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not very funny or insightful. More like a nagging overview of conspiracy theory that tries too hard. Many of the jokes are one step above fart joke type humor. I thought it would be funny or interesting, maybe thought provoking, but it was none of those. The writing style is disjointed, with blurbs and sidebars appearing everywhere in these 3-4 page chapters.

Final verdict? Take a pass if you come across this book.
Gina Lane
Aug 10, 2015 Gina Lane rated it really liked it
Shelves: conspiracies
I have always liked Richard Belzer the actor. I was pleasantly surprised that he was so heavily into conspiracies. This is a good book for those who are not familiar with the Kennedy and UFO controversies. His book reads like a "Conspiracy for Dummies." The first part of the book on Kennedy was very familiar. The 2nd part dealt with UFOs. The 2nd part was of less interest to me since I'm not a fan of the UFO conspiracies. It's a quick read which I read mostly on my bus commute.
Nicole
Jun 20, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: real-life
I enjoyed this conspiracy theory book. Listening to the audio book adds something fun since I love Mr. Belzer on Law and Order SVU. I wouldn't say I completely believe him, but he's well read, and researched. He weaves a compelling case about JFK, but I can't believe it entirely without corroborating and I choose not to as I listened to this more for entertainment than to take as the new gospel on what he speaks about.
Nicole
Feb 01, 2017 Nicole rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I tried to listen to the audiobook version of this and while the content was interesting enough Belzer mumbles throughout the book which means you have to turn it up but then they peppered the audio with jarring sounds like gunshots or metal clanging that was 10x louder than the authors voice. It was way too distracting and really irked me so I couldn't finish it.
Neida
Aug 29, 2011 Neida rated it liked it
Contains a great expose of the inconsitencies and outright fiction tales that the American people are told to swallow by the powers that be... I if was to get this book again though, I would go for the written kind and not the audiobook. The sound effects were totally distracting and totally unnecessary.
AB
Jun 29, 2010 AB rated it liked it
Shelves: read-audio
I think I might have missed the last few chapters, or maybe the entire book is 75% JFK-obsessed. I like weird conspiracy stuff, and I"m pretty sure Richard Belzer was the inspiration for the X-files' lone gunmen. Not sure if it translates very well to audio format, but it spiced up my day at the office a bit and even had me laughing at some points. Not an entire waste of a few hours.
Regan
Sep 22, 2012 Regan rated it it was amazing
Funny, but also true, Belzer knows what he's talking about. Anyone, such as UFO researchers, etc. will recognize that Belzer is not just a funny man making light of these subjects. If you're expecting Belzer to mock the conspiracy-paranormal-UFO field, you're going to be disappointed. I appreciate that Belzer isn't afraid to come out with his opinions on these subjects.
Devon
Apr 24, 2008 Devon rated it liked it
Who knew that Richard Belzer was a conspiracy theorist? I certainly didn't, until I read this book. I ordered it via library loan not knowing who Belzer was and then I was incredibly excited when I got the book and realized it was Detective Munch.

Like all conspiracy theorists, he doesn't exactly back up his facts like any proof. But it is an entertaining read, most definitely.
Tom Schulte
Jul 02, 2011 Tom Schulte rated it it was ok
I am rating it as 2.5 judging this zany conspiracy smorgasborg as entertainment. I think this may be the work imagined as "Conspiracy A-Go-Go" in the movie Slacker...

As investigative journalism, I'd have to give it a 0.5
  • 60 Greatest Conspiracies Of All Time - History's Biggest Mysteries, Cover-ups, And Cabals
  • Above Top Secret: Uncover the Mysteries of the Digital Age
  • Secret Life: Firsthand, Documented Accounts of Ufo Abductions
  • A Question of Character: A Life of John F. Kennedy
  • Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults and Cover-ups
  • Deep Politics and the Death of JFK
  • The Very Best Men: The Daring Early Years of the CIA
  • The Secret Team: The CIA & its Allies in Control of the United States & the World
  • Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens
  • The Cold War: A History
  • The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups: The 100 Most Terrifying Conspiracies of All Time
  • UFOs and the National Security State 1: Chronology of a Coverup 1941-73
  • The Sixties: Years of Hope, Days of Rage
  • Reaching for Glory: Lyndon Johnson's Secret White House Tapes 1964-65
  • The Secret School: Preparation for Contact
  • American Conspiracies: Lies, Lies, and More Dirty Lies that the Government Tells Us
  • Give Me Liberty!: An American History, Volume 2
  • The Kennedy Conspiracy
Belzer is the author of four books, the last two of which were a crime fiction series co-written with Michael Black that featured Belzer as the mystery-solving protagonist. I’m Not a Cop, the first of the two, was published in 2008, followed by the sequel, I’m Not a Psychic, in 2009. Belzer penned UFOs, JFK and Elvis: Conspiracies You Don’t Have to Be Crazy to Believe in 2000, and co-authored How ...more
More about Richard Belzer...