Start by marking “Master Of The Game” as Want to Read:
Master Of The Game
Sidney Sheldon

Master Of The Game

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  35,958 ratings  ·  1,048 reviews
Ta igatses üle kõige võimu ja temast sai meistermängur!
Kate Blackwell on üks maailma rikkamaid naisi. Ta on mõistatus, kes on ümbritsetud tuhandetest vastamata küsimustest. Tema vanaisa oli varas, tema isa hulljulge aareteotsija, ta ise valitseb kogu maailma. Tema perekonnaga seotud skandaalid summutatakse, mõrvad jäävad lahenduseta...
Kate teab, et igaühel on oma hind, ja
Published by Doubleday Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Master Of The Game, please sign up.

Christina Thomas oh definitely! you will be glad you wont have to put it down to leave for work!

I know what you're thinking. "How can you possibly rate this soap opera of a novel as highly as The Bell Jar?! You have lost all credibility now that you've included pseudo-romance novels on your goodreads list!"

All I can say is, this book is the literary equivalent of crack.

Sidney Sheldon is a surprisingly talented writer, and the plot twists are many and dramatic. You might throw your copy against a wall in frustration over a character's actions. You will definitely lose sleep when you obses
WHAT THE HELL DID I READ!!!!!! WILL SOMEONE TELL ME?????? I am speechless,this book is absoultely BRILLIANT!!!!! Too good for words. I have never in my life read such kind of book. I don't have any idea how in living hell am I gonna review this book because I don't think I am capable enough or good enough with words to describe what I went through while reading it or what I am feeling after completing it.

This book is truely entertaining and it's a kind of book which you get to read once in 10 y

This is the first Sheldon's book I read and I want to applaud. Not only it's unputdownable but also unpredictable book. What can I say? The writing style is superb! Every chapter does not end with the cliff-hanger, but it end with the twist.

The story is very well-planed. Master of the Game told the story of the Mcgregor, the Diamond-trading
Gatha G
This was my first Sheldon novel and I had no idea what to expect.Now after completing this book I sit with a regret as to why I haven't tried any Sidney Sheldons.

About this book;
This book narrates five generations of Blackwell family who owns the most famous Kruger-Brent company.It is set in the backgrounds of South Africa.

The way this book started,I wondered what was going to happen and now I feel like 'wow!!!'.The writing style is effortless and has a flow.I never got bored.The way the story u
Erm.. This was my first Sheldon novel when I was still in the idea that he was a she. I'm still perplexed as to whether put this as a book which I love to hate or hate to love.

I was wildly cheering for Jamie all though his doomed-to-fail crazy plan to steal the Van der Merve diamonds with Banda.
And then he did a total 180 with Margaret and became a twit.
Same with Kate. Liked her when she risked all for Banda. But all along she was a manipulative keek.
Poor Tony. And I refuse to consider the evi
Angie B
I first read this book when I was 12 years old; I had nothing to read one Friday night, so borrowed this from my Mum's bookshelf, without asking her. I started reading and from the prologue onwards I was completely hooked! I huddled under my duvet, with a torch, unable to put it down and had finished it by Sunday. I was completely mesmorised by the sheer scope of the material; the locations, the exciting adventures of Jamie and Banda and their tentative yet heartfelt friendship. I felt sorry for ...more
Sheldon's story of big business, lust, greed, and revenge spans four generations, starting with Jamie McGregor, who leaves Scotland in 1850 to strike it rich in the diamond fields of South Africa. He overcomes many hardships, becomes a millionaire, and starts the Kruger-Brent company.

His daughter, Kate, pushes the company until it becomes a world-wide conglomerate, and moves her headquarters to America. To her chagrin, her son Tony wants to be a painter, not a businessman. His twin daughters, A
suffiyan saleem
its my third book from sidney sheldon. i started it last night and even though today is a work day, i've already read more than 200 pages! im losing my sleep for "just one more page" and god knows i'm gonna read all of his books now! definately a good one but it drove me nuts at some points! but till now, its like so good!

ok change of review after reading the book!

its my third book from sidney sheldon. and i finihed it in like 2 days. loved it in the beginning but then after the 3rd generation,
About ten pages into this book I was reminded of a time when the book publishing world was full of these kinds of sprawling, multi-generational sagas that were just begging to be made into television mini-series events. I had read some of those books, but I'd never read any by Sidney Sheldon. This book was compulsively readable, especially the first half, with its descriptions of diamond-fever in South Africa, and its larger-than-life characters. By the second half, I was usually a step ahead, a ...more
This is a saga of a millionaire family spanning five generations during the XX century from the beginning of times in South Africa where a recent arrived Scottish penny less cunning and ambitious immigrant, Jamie Blackwell pushed his luck to make the beginning of a huge fortune in the diamond business, all the way to the end of the century where his daughter Kate almost ninety years old get desperate to find her successor to run the family now multi million dollar conglomerate.
Actually I got this book from my Aunt, she loves reading Sidney Sheldon novels and the book itself is old, hmm I love those old books.. So, I decided to give it a try. . It's been a week that I haven't continue this.. Whole week for exams and tons to study. The story here is per generation.. Starting with Jamie McGregor, then her daughter Kate Blackwell,then her son Tony, and lastly Kate's two granddaughters Eve and Alexandra.

the Main Characters, Kate Blackwell is manipulative. She wants what i
This book was gifted to me by a friend and so I read my first Sidney Sheldon. I had expected much from such a well known author but as with many famous books, I found this more hyped than it deserves.

Though the story spans a 100 years and intrigues the reader in the beginning, the simple writing style soon ruins it. I do not mind if the narration is straight forward, but in this book the narration was so simple it could have been a 6th grade text book had it not been for the adult content. Full
I don't know what's wrong with me but I just feel like rating all the books I read when I was in 8th grade or so. This was my first real novel actually. I'd read only kid stuff from libraries before this;books that we got from the school library.
Funny story of how I read this book: I was bored and there was nothing on the TV that could keep me interested so I just started going through my cousin's books and stuff. I came across this and opened a random chapter and started reading it. The chapte
Kaung Myat Han
A close friend's stepfather insisted me to read this novel "Master of the Game" by Sidney Sheldon telling me that it was one of his all-time favorite novels. He even felt obliged to lend me his copy. Well, what could I say? I looked at the paperback book and it's nearly 500 pages long. I finished the book anyway. It is about four generations of McGregor family. So, it's more like an epic story. My only favorite part was the captivating story about Jamie McGregor's adventures and how he tried har ...more
It should have been 4 stars but as Kate said, "I am a woman. I have a right to change my mind.". And please forgive me if you found my choice of words offensive. I am quite nice in person. Really.

When Van der Merwe asked Jamie to sign a contract written in foreign language, I was suspicious. You can be duped even if a contract was in a language that you understand. And Jamie signing a contract with a stranger in a language that he doesn't understand was downright lunacy.
Van der Merwe is a low-li
I first read this book 24 years ago in the summer after 7th grade. I was burned out from required reading and couldn't settle on anything new to read. My mom suggested this title, and I devoured it; it reminded me that reading can be fun, and I loved that my mother trusted me to handle the ::ahem:: "adult" material.

Fast forward to three days ago. I had purchased a copy of the book at a used book sale a few weeks back for old-times' sake (and because it was only 50 cents), and I grabbed it off th
I had a hard time writing a review for this PURELY AWESOME book.
I found exactly in this novel the things (not to mention the quality) I'm looking for. SERIOUSLY.
This is truly one of Sheldon's most sensational masterpiece!
A Sheldon Magic!

Once again Sheldon you created an "unputdownable" book that would make us -- the reader’s heart beat faster with the turn of each page.

Ahmad Sharabiani
Master of the Game, Sidney Sheldon
عنوان: استاد بازی؛ نویسنده: سیدنی شلدون؛ مترجم: میترا معتضد؛ مشخصات نشر: آسمان - چاپ اول، سال ؛ انتشارات البرز؛ شابک: 9644422945؛ در 684 ص، موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان آمریکایی قرن 20 م
Parva 'chhanu'
All his life, Jamie has only one ambition; to be able to buy every good thing he and his family desire. In a hope of becoming rich, Jamie travels to Klipdrift, South Africa from Scotland in search for diamond. Initially, he gets tricked by his own to be father-in-law, Salomon Van Der Merwe but as faith would have it, he comes back stronger, boiled in vengeance. As he starts destroying Salomon, he becomes richer and richer every day and eventually forms a company, Kruger-Brent Ltd.

Kate and
i got this book and mutant message down under back when i was 15 or so from a friend. i traded her 'the stand' and another book for these two.

i remembered mmdu and thought of it as a book that opened up my ideas of life and fell back on the idea of that book as a building block for my future. whatever the hell that means.

but, i couldnt recall this book. and i thought that this book changed me in a similar way. fast forward about 13 years and i find that lady again via the internet, my main goal
I picked up this as a paperback for my to-read pile, not knowing Sidney Sheldon. I started reading it a couple of days ago and could not put it down, it is a page-turner! Very engrossing, on-the-edge of your seat story!

After I put it down, I thought this over and reflected that it is a brilliant story-telling saga of a family but it is built very much like a soap opera... Not necessarily realistic or plausible. But it makes for gripping reading!

On one level, it is just a family saga, starting wi

It is set up as a biography. Of the life of 'Kate Blackwell' and her company 'Kruger-Brent ltd'. Even though it could be looked at as a biography it quickly turns into a page-turning suspenseful adventure story, a murder mystery, and a tragedy.

Read as the life of Kate Blackwell and tells the story of the family through four generations is told. Spanning from the 1850's to 1980's.

It begins in South Africa. A young ambitious Scotsman, James McGregor, emigrates to South Africa to hunt for diamond
Sarah Kayes
I'll start with why I liked this book: It opens with Kate Blackwell's 90th birthday party then swings back 100 years to how the family's story all began. By end of the four page prologue addressing just her 90th birthday party, I was hooked. How did Kate end up where she was with the issues she eluded to while thinking of her life? I had to know how it all played out. Well done, Mr. Sheldon. Not a chapter went by where I wasn't dying to at least know what came next, how the character would get o ...more
Alessandra Torre
Picked up this book at a used bookstore somewhere - hadn't read Sidney Sheldon in a while.

The storyline of this book was amazing - twists and turns, action and deceit, through five generations of one family. You know how in every freaking writing class out there, the teacher harps on you 'not to tell things, but show them". This book is a lot of telling. It almost has to be, because the author's trying to fit so damn much in one book. I would have preferred to see this book as five separate nove
Delicious Strawberry
I received this book as an hand me down along with a bunch of others, and I am glad I got it. Generally I will read just about anything and will try any author that I have never read. This was the first Sheldon book I had ever read, and I rather liked it. It's just a bit dated as it's a 80's novel, but sometimes classic novels are better than modern ones. This might not be a novel for everybody, but I enjoyed the character of Katherine. She's tough, but at the same time she's all too human and m ...more
Well i really didn't see much of the difference between this and "Starts shine Down". Yes the story is more gripping with more twists but the topic is nearly same...taking on the world even if u start from nothing.
Some of the escape sequences in the novel are great...especially the Jamie's escape...
The way tony was treated wasn't great...i mean kate did a really big mistake by doing such a thing to a talented artist...
in the end i thought the plot of eve and alexandra was a bit overdrawn...
In th
Gautami Narkar
Being a Sidney Sheldon fan, I was obligated to give this a 4 star rating but to be honest, even though all the typical brilliant elements of SS novels are present, this book did not keep me hooked on. The whole family saga, spanning 4 generations with not one character particularly standing out for me, kind of put me off. The plot was exceptional but it just wasn't enough.
But then again, this is my 14 yo self reviewing this book from the past. I probably wasn't fond of the manipulative and decei
Julia Grundling
okay, this is one of those books that you simply can't put down ... you HAVE to know what happens next.

that said, i won't read any of his books again. i've always wanted to read his books, but one is enough for me. i think what bothered me was the abrupt stop and change of time periods - it didn't flow at all. it was also very graphic and gruesome, but i suppose that's a personal thing - i don't do well with too graphic. yes, good triumphs over evil, but not enough, if you know what i mean.

i p
My first Sidney Sheldon read and I'm blown away by the intense, straightforward plot. Lots of totally unexpected crazy twists. Definitely reading more of his books and this one just made it to my top 10 favorite books of all time.
Que buen libro!!! La verdad sin palabras valio la pena leer las 500 paginas! Y pensar que todo el libro trascurre en 100 años! ;)
wahaaa 32 237 Sep 27, 2014 03:33AM
What's The Name o...: Book Series (6-8 books?) family who's fortune was made by gold [s] 3 33 Jan 20, 2014 04:08PM
  • The Prodigal Daughter (Kane & Abel, #2)
  • The Almighty
  • The Class
  • Remembrance
  • Hotel
  • Lucky (Lucky Santangelo, #2)
  • Never Love a Stranger
Was an American writer who won awards in three careers—a Broadway playwright, a Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter, and a best-selling novelist. His TV works spanned a 20-year period during which he created I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70), Hart to Hart (1979-84), and The Patty Duke Show (1963-66), but it was not until after he turned 50 and began writing best-selling novels such as Master of the Gam ...more
More about Sidney Sheldon...

“I'm a woman. I have a right to change my mind.” 254 likes
“Business is a game, played for fantastic stakes, and you're in competition with experts. If you want to win, you have to learn to be a master of the game.” 146 likes