Start by marking “Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)” as Want to Read:
Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)

Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby #1)

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  27,330 Ratings  ·  1,045 Reviews
Buckle your seat belts. Number-one New York Times bestselling author Janet Evanovich is moving into the fast lane with Metro Girl, a thrilling, high-octane misadventure with high stakes, hot nights, cold-blooded murder, sunken treasure, a woman with a chassis built for speed, and one very good, very sexy NASCAR driver who's along for the ride.

"Wild" Bill Barnaby's dropped
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published November 2nd 2004 by HarperAudio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Metro Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metro Girl

Having just read A Thousand Acres, I needed something "lite", and this perfectly fit the bill. I found it fun and silly, and some of the writing was quite clever. Calling Hooker "NASCAR guy" was genius. Judey was a little bit of a characature, but the lines about him having "two eyebrows" made me LOL.

One of the things I liked was all the pop culture references. I've often found things like that missing in the Sue Grafton "alphabet series" (it's ok though; that's an older series -- I just find th
Feb 12, 2012 Marla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the hardcover, large print edition of this, which I point out because it got really funny around pages 280/300. As usual for a Janet Evanovich book one of the characters was driving a Porsche, it was not however a Cayenne or a Turbo(gasp!), but they did mention they were thinking of upgrading to a Turbo so there's that. =P There was also a Mini Cooper which I believe Stephanie drove at one point in her books. =)

This takes place in Miami and I couldn't help but think they needed to get in
Feb 28, 2009 Parisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm sorry, Janet. But seriously. This book was filled with exactly the same characters as the Plum series, but they had different names. Come on. I liked the Plum series for the most part, but that doesn't mean I want to read it over and over again under the pretense of it being a new story with new people.
This was a lot of fun to read. I'd been told that these weren't as good as the Stephanie Plum novels so I was delightfully surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It almost read like a Carl Hiaasen novel; mostly owing to the south Florida setting and odd ball characters. Some of the action in the book was a little preposterous at times but nowhere near the almost unbelievable level of a Plum book. Overall a solid story with enough suspense that had me reading it all in one sitting. Just the summer r ...more
Feb 05, 2009 Jamieson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janet Evanovich is best known for her Stephanie Plum series (“One for the Money”, “Two For the Doe”, “Three To Get Deadly”, etc) featuring Stephanie Plum: A so-so bounty hunter with big hair, a big mouth and a gun. Each of the novels has rocketed to the New York Times Best Seller List and has made her a publishing phenomenon. The books are laugh out loud funny and Evanovich has amassed herself quite the loyal fan base. Myself included.

I for one love her Stephanie Plum novels, so I was extremely
I'm calling this done.

I've still got about 40 minutes of listening left in the audiobook, but as the minutes wind down at work on this Christmas Eve, I don't know if I'll finish it before they release us. And frankly, at this moment I don't care if I finish it or not. I kind of just want to stop.

This book is dumb.
I never cared about any of the characters, the plot is weak and absolutely absurd (She also apparently doesn't have a clue about owning boats in Cuba... and how people DON'T. Because th
Sep 10, 2007 C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this while waiting for Lean Mean 13 to become available at my local library. I was disappointed to find that the characters and premise were very similar to the Stephanie Plum series; I would go so far as to say that Metro Girl is just Plum-lite, the only difference being that while I love Stephanie, I find Barney barely tolerable.

In spite of the similarities and the annoying protagonist, you're better off reading this than either of the "between-the-numbers" books.
Dec 07, 2014 Dagny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too many coincidences. Unbelievable scrapes and escapes. Even the characters can't believe what's happening. "I'm awake, right? This is real?" Loads of fun to read!

After being put off by the title for years, I finally decided to read this book after spotting it on sale. No way I could like it anywhere near as much as Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Wrong. Not only were there plenty of laughs, but more suspense than seemed possible given the improbable goings-on. The last half of the book is a
Just - The romance reader
I can tell this will be the first of many Janet Evanovich novels for me. Chick-lit mixed with a good mystery and lots of action, Metro Girl was truly entertaining. Alex "Barney" Barnaby and Sam Hooker make quite the pair, thrown together for very different reasons, both are in search of Barney's missing brother Wild Bill. They go on a dangerous adventure with lots of chaos and drama, while the Nascar driving Hooker tries to steal Barney's heart.
Bark's Book Nonsense
I listened to this on my Ipod while cooking and cleaning various messes around my house. I thought it was very similar in style to the Plumb books.

This time around the heroine is Barney, a blond gal who grew up around mechanics. Her love interest is a blond Nascar driver who thinks he's just the hottest thing ever. The two meet and pair up when Barney's brother goes missing. It was very cute, light and fluffy and just the thing to distract me from the grossities that I must clean up.
Nov 22, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this and really liked it. I liked the characters and the story line. I like Evanovich. Love the Plum series, and this is my second favorite!
Jul 31, 2014 Glass marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, suspense
Anita H
Aug 22, 2009 Anita H rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Janet Evanocich. Her Stephanie Plum novels are a fun, put your mind on hold, good time. This book, however, was beyond stupid. It was so dumb that I was mad at myself for taking time out of my day to read it.
Julie Burns
Sep 06, 2007 Julie Burns rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I couldn't finish this book. I'm a big fan of the Stephanie Plum series and maybe my expectations were set too high, but I thought Metro Girl was too fluffy. I had no desire to stick with it and wished Evanovich would simply get back to her primary series.
This is one that I want to re-read. It's been a few years now and when I think back to the elements of it - I really enjoyed the ride.(HA! I made a funny!)
Laurie Hanan
Jul 16, 2008 Laurie Hanan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a disappointment, even from Evanovich.
Aug 09, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Funny, Laughed Out Loud Many Times Reading This Book.
Alicia Prevost
I read a Janet Evanovich book years ago...and didn't enjoy it so have avoided her ever since but...I found this book and I felt like something with a little bit of a racing flare so...I figured I'd give her a second chance.

And I just don't like her writing.

This book was was too much, way too much. Like half way through and I was already tired of all the drama and wondering why they didn't just take what they had to the police and go home because they were just being dumb. Honestly, tha
Sarah Gonalez
Jan 22, 2009 Sarah Gonalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Metro Girl was a mystery that turned out to be a comedy at the same time. It's about a woman named Alexandra Barnaby who is in search of her lost brother, Bill. While in her search, she's accompanied by an arrogant, egotistic, and at the samae time Handsome race car driver in search of his missing boat. Both characters scope out different people in this long search for Bill. As the story precedes and they learn more and more about the situation her brother is involved and without even knowing in ...more
Shannon Anicas
I have never read anything by Ms. Evanovich before reading this so I don't have her other stories to compare to but I can say this isn't a good one to start with. I give it one star for the overall story. If she would have left out the 15 times a page reference to NASCAR in the first 5 chapters it might have not been so bad. But when she misspelled Talladega (she had Taledega pg 104 line 16) it was ruined for me being a NASCAR fanatic. The stereotyping of every character was another annoyance, t ...more
Sep 17, 2015 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book honestly had me angry several times while reading it. First, I'm a NASCAR fan, so the jokes and hillbilly-esq references started to grate on my nerves. Second, it's AGAIN a story that feels paint by numbers. Third: TALLADEGA. How on earth does it get thru countless editors and proofreaders and yet it is spelled wrong? Forth: bikers, really??

Jesus. Don't, just don't.
Summer Ann
I liked this book. But it was hard since you can't help comparing it to the Stephanie Plum series. It's not as good as the Stephanie books but it was still good enough for me to want to read the next one sometime.
Sep 19, 2008 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-offer-refused
Don't bother.

Boring isn't the word.

Also, it's Stephanie Plum meets high humidity.

By the end of the book, I was pulling for an alligator to eat them all.

Read the Stephanie Plum books instead, and skip this one.
May 14, 2012 Daphne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, adult, mini-review
It was funny, but Alex Barnaby is no Stephanie Plum and Sam Hooker is no Joe Morelli. I may be interested in reading the next one…haven’t decided yet. I got this on audiobook, and I didn’t like the reader, so maybe that’s why. 3.5/5

Jun 24, 2012 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guilty-pleasure
I really wanted to like this new series, but I didn't. I love Janet, but I just don't care about these characters.
The Genre Minx
This book was lost on me. I did not really enjoy the dialogue, humor attempts, or the character who kept referring to himself as the "nascar guy."
Jan 04, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read one of Janet Evanovich,you are going to love them. I love the fact the main character is always female. Howevere there is always something to laugh about and cry also. Give its try.
This book is far-fetched, impractical and entirely entertaining. Easy read. I read this book, as in a real book with pages... So it took me 4 months.
Not one of my favs by Janet Evanovich. It is still readable.
Jun 15, 2015 Cyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Love Janet Evanovich! No deep thinking or blood and guts, just plain entertainment.
Janet Evanovich B...: Motor Mouth Movie 1 20 Feb 12, 2013 03:57PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Metro Girl 2 4 Nov 26, 2012 06:41PM
Join in the discussions! 1 25 Apr 30, 2009 01:29PM
  • Foul Play
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Bubbles Ablaze (Bubbles Yablonsky, #3)
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Don't Look Down
  • 6 Killer Bodies (Body Movers, #6)
  • Maggie Without A Clue (Maggie Kelly Mystery, #3)
  • Code Name: Nanny (SEAL and Code Name, #5)
  • G'Day to Die (Passport to Peril,  #5)
  • No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow, #7)
  • Guns Will Keep Us Together (Bombay Assassins, #2)
  • Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #2)
  • Unmanned (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #4)
  • Perfectly Plum: Unauthorized Essays On the Life, Loves And Other Disasters of Stephanie Plum, Trenton Bounty Hunter
  • Undercover in High Heels (High Heels, #3)
More about Janet Evanovich...

Alex Barnaby (4 books)
  • Motor Mouth (Alex Barnaby #2)
  • Troublemaker (Alex Barnaby #3)
  • Troublemaker 2 (Alex Barnaby #4)

“Just because i know how to change a guys oil doesn't mean i want to spend the rest of my life on my back, staring up his undercarriage.” 38 likes