Start by marking “Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)” as Want to Read:
Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)

Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  25,749 ratings  ·  983 reviews
Buckle your seat belts. Number-one New York Times bestselling author Janet Evanovich is moving into the fast lane with Metro Girl, a thrilling, high-octane misadventure with high stakes, hot nights, cold-blooded murder, sunken treasure, a woman with a chassis built for speed, and one very good, very sexy NASCAR driver who's along for the ride.

"Wild" Bill Barnaby's dropped
Audio CD
Published November 2nd 2004 by HarperAudio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Metro Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metro Girl

Having just read A Thousand Acres, I needed something "lite", and this perfectly fit the bill. I found it fun and silly, and some of the writing was quite clever. Calling Hooker "NASCAR guy" was genius. Judey was a little bit of a characature, but the lines about him having "two eyebrows" made me LOL.

One of the things I liked was all the pop culture references. I've often found things like that missing in the Sue Grafton "alphabet series" (it's ok though; that's an older series -- I just find th
I read the hardcover, large print edition of this, which I point out because it got really funny around pages 280/300. As usual for a Janet Evanovich book one of the characters was driving a Porsche, it was not however a Cayenne or a Turbo(gasp!), but they did mention they were thinking of upgrading to a Turbo so there's that. =P There was also a Mini Cooper which I believe Stephanie drove at one point in her books. =)

This takes place in Miami and I couldn't help but think they needed to get in
This was a lot of fun to read. I'd been told that these weren't as good as the Stephanie Plum novels so I was delightfully surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It almost read like a Carl Hiaasen novel; mostly owing to the south Florida setting and odd ball characters. Some of the action in the book was a little preposterous at times but nowhere near the almost unbelievable level of a Plum book. Overall a solid story with enough suspense that had me reading it all in one sitting. Just the summer r ...more
Janet Evanovich is best known for her Stephanie Plum series (“One for the Money”, “Two For the Doe”, “Three To Get Deadly”, etc) featuring Stephanie Plum: A so-so bounty hunter with big hair, a big mouth and a gun. Each of the novels has rocketed to the New York Times Best Seller List and has made her a publishing phenomenon. The books are laugh out loud funny and Evanovich has amassed herself quite the loyal fan base. Myself included.

I for one love her Stephanie Plum novels, so I was extremely
Read this and really liked it. I liked the characters and the story line. I like Evanovich. Love the Plum series, and this is my second favorite!
Too many coincidences. Unbelievable scrapes and escapes. Even the characters can't believe what's happening. "I'm awake, right? This is real?" Loads of fun to read!

After being put off by the title for years, I finally decided to read this book after spotting it on sale. No way I could like it anywhere near as much as Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Wrong. Not only were there plenty of laughs, but more suspense than seemed possible given the improbable goings-on. The last half of the book is a
I read this while waiting for Lean Mean 13 to become available at my local library. I was disappointed to find that the characters and premise were very similar to the Stephanie Plum series; I would go so far as to say that Metro Girl is just Plum-lite, the only difference being that while I love Stephanie, I find Barney barely tolerable.

In spite of the similarities and the annoying protagonist, you're better off reading this than either of the "between-the-numbers" books.
Bark's Book Nonsense
I listened to this on my Ipod while cooking and cleaning various messes around my house. I thought it was very similar in style to the Plumb books.

This time around the heroine is Barney, a blond gal who grew up around mechanics. Her love interest is a blond Nascar driver who thinks he's just the hottest thing ever. The two meet and pair up when Barney's brother goes missing. It was very cute, light and fluffy and just the thing to distract me from the grossities that I must clean up.
Just - The romance reader
I can tell this will be the first of many Janet Evanovich novels for me. Chick-lit mixed with a good mystery and lots of action, Metro Girl was truly entertaining. Alex "Barney" Barnaby and Sam Hooker make quite the pair, thrown together for very different reasons, both are in search of Barney's missing brother Wild Bill. They go on a dangerous adventure with lots of chaos and drama, while the Nascar driving Hooker tries to steal Barney's heart.
Jul 31, 2014 Glass marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, suspense
I'm sorry, Janet. But seriously. This book was filled with exactly the same characters as the Plum series, but they had different names. Come on. I liked the Plum series for the most part, but that doesn't mean I want to read it over and over again under the pretense of it being a new story with new people.
This is one that I want to re-read. It's been a few years now and when I think back to the elements of it - I really enjoyed the ride.(HA! I made a funny!)
Very Funny, Laughed Out Loud Many Times Reading This Book.
Sarah Gonalez
Metro Girl was a mystery that turned out to be a comedy at the same time. It's about a woman named Alexandra Barnaby who is in search of her lost brother, Bill. While in her search, she's accompanied by an arrogant, egotistic, and at the samae time Handsome race car driver in search of his missing boat. Both characters scope out different people in this long search for Bill. As the story precedes and they learn more and more about the situation her brother is involved and without even knowing in ...more
Cyndi McGinnes
Love Janet Evanovich! No deep thinking or blood and guts, just plain entertainment.
Sep 04, 2014 HeavyReader rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fiction
Why did I waste my time reading this book?

I picked it up from a free shelf in a laundromat, thinking I would give it away on BookMooch. Then I gave it to a friend I thought would enjoy reading it (she did), but she gave it back to me when she was done. So I started reading it, and even though I didn’t really like it, I had a really difficult time putting it down. There was no way I wasn’t going to find out what happened in the end. I guess in that sense, Janet Evanovich did her job well. An auth
Older sister Alexandra Barnaby affectionately known as Barney received an unsettling early morning phone call from her wild brother Bill ending with the scream of an unknown woman. Rushing to her brother’s aid once again, Barney arrived in South Beach to discover Bill was missing and his friend Sam Hooker was not happy to find his sixty-five foot luxury boat gone with Bill. Sam and Barney scoured the clubs looking for Bill’s whereabouts only to realize whatever Bill was mixed up in was bad enoug ...more
Amy H
This was a very enjoyable book. I love the stephanie plum series, so it was nice to read about another lead lady.

This story is about a girl who is looking for her brother. She goes by the name of Barney. She worked at her dads garage and can fix any car. She also used to race them. Now, she is trying to be girly. That is until she got a phone call from her brother at 3 a.m. telling her he is leaving not to worry and don't tell anyone about him.

Barney didn't like the sound of that phone call so s
Kiera Beddes
Genre: kidnapping, treasure hunting, psychopaths, etc.
Summary: Alex Barnaby "Barney" grew up in a mechanic shop, so she knows her way around cars. When her good-for-nothing brother "Wild" Bill calls her in the middle of the night. Alex knows something is wrong, so she flies down to Miami to help him out. In Miami, she finds out that Bill stole NASCAR Sam Hooker's boat, and he'd like it back. Hereafter comes a long list of everything that could go wrong, does. Alex and Sam manage to find Bill, pi
This book honestly had me angry several times while reading it. First, I'm a NASCAR fan, so the jokes and hillbilly-esq references started to grate on my nerves. Second, it's AGAIN a story that feels paint by numbers. Third: TALLADEGA. How on earth does it get thru countless editors and proofreaders and yet it is spelled wrong? Forth: bikers, really??

Jesus. Don't, just don't.
Laura Radniecki
I would have given this 3.5 stars, if we were able to give half-stars here on Goodreads.

I love Janet Evanovich's writing style and the way her characters come to life for me. The mix of humor and suspense and a little bit of romance is the perfect blend, and it echoes throughout all of her books that I've read.

I enjoyed the characters in this book and the storyline was fun and interesting for the most part.

Some parts of it felt a little rushed and flat to me though; particularly the ending. I fe
Kris - My Novelesque Life

"Alexandra (Barney) Barnaby roars onto the Miami Beach scene in hot pursuit of her missing baby brother, "Wild" Bill. Leave it to the maverick of the family to get Barney involved with high-speed car chases, a search for sunken treasure, and Sam Hooker, a NASCAR driver who's good at revving a woman's engine.

Engaged in a deadly race, Bill has "borrowed" Hooker's sixty-five-foot Hatteras and sailed off into the sunset...just when Hooker has plans for the boat. Hooker figures he'll attach hi
Alexandra Barnaby gets a call from her brother in Miami that ends with a woman screaming. She knows something isn't right so she heads down to Florida to try and find him, coming across NASCAR driver Sam Hooker. Alex's brother stole Hooker's boat so he has reason to try and find him.

Evanovich is known for her fun-loving characters, specifically with the number series and Stephanie Plum. The problem that I had with this book is that it felt like a cheap copy of the characters from Evanovich's nu
An Odd1
Narrator Alexander 'Alex' Barnaby 30, blue-eyed bleached blonde, on phone with younger brother 'Wild Bill', hears after "I have to go. I have to ... oh shit .. a woman scream in the background, and the line went dead" p 4. He's "a great guy .. history of getting his brains caught in his zipper" p 86.

She packs her bags for Miami, lands two days later, finds his apartment trashed - twice. He quit as captain of Flex II, but employer Moran and Fidel pal Luis Salzar want something. Salzar's henchman
Julie Burns
I couldn't finish this book. I'm a big fan of the Stephanie Plum series and maybe my expectations were set too high, but I thought Metro Girl was too fluffy. I had no desire to stick with it and wished Evanovich would simply get back to her primary series.
David Caldwell
Alexandra (Barney) Barnaby takes off for Miami when her brother (Wild Bill) goes missing. The last anyone heard from him was a mysterious phone call as he was stealing the boat that belongs to the NASCAR race car driver, Sam Hooker. Barney and Hooker team up to find Bill (and the boat), but along the way they will get mixed up with gangsters, sunken treasure, and a few other nasty surprises.

First off, how does this compare to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series? Well, there are a lot of simi
It was funny, but Alex Barnaby is no Stephanie Plum and Sam Hooker is no Joe Morelli. I may be interested in reading the next one…haven’t decided yet. I got this on audiobook, and I didn’t like the reader, so maybe that’s why. 3.5/5

Don't bother.

Boring isn't the word.

Also, it's Stephanie Plum meets high humidity.

By the end of the book, I was pulling for an alligator to eat them all.

Read the Stephanie Plum books instead, and skip this one.
Anita H
I really enjoy Janet Evanocich. Her Stephanie Plum novels are a fun, put your mind on hold, good time. This book, however, was beyond stupid. It was so dumb that I was mad at myself for taking time out of my day to read it.
I liked this book. But it was hard since you can't help comparing it to the Stephanie Plum series. It's not as good as the Stephanie books but it was still good enough for me to want to read the next one sometime.
Janet Evanovich B...: Motor Mouth Movie 1 20 Feb 12, 2013 03:57PM
Join in the discussions! 1 25 Apr 30, 2009 01:29PM
  • Bubbles Betrothed (Bubbles Yablonsky, #5)
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • 4 Bodies and a Funeral (Body Movers, #4)
  • Murder Melts in Your Mouth (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #7)
  • Mayhem in High Heels (High Heels, #5)
  • Agnes and the Hitman
  • Code Name: Blondie (SEAL and Code Name, #8)
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Calamity Jayne Rides Again (Calamity Jayne Mystery, #2)
  • Under the Boardwalk (Costas Sisters #1)
  • Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Getting Old Is the Best Revenge (Gladdy Gold, #2)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
  • Nerd Gone Wild (Nerds, #3)
More about Janet Evanovich...

Alex Barnaby (4 books)
  • Motor Mouth (Alex Barnaby #2)
  • Troublemaker (Alex Barnaby #3)
  • Troublemaker 2 (A Barnaby and Hooker Graphic Novel #2)

“Just because i know how to change a guys oil doesn't mean i want to spend the rest of my life on my back, staring up his undercarriage.” 37 likes