Start by marking “Trail Of Feathers: Searching for Philip True” as Want to Read:
Trail Of Feathers: Searching for Philip True

Trail Of Feathers: Searching for Philip True

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In December 1998, San Antonio Express-News reporter Philip True vanished during a solo backcountry trek in western Mexico, home of the reclusive Huichol Indians and the Chapalagana, the Twisted Serpent Canyon, a 150-mile long gash that twists and plunges through the heart of the Sierra Madre. Five days later his editor, Robert Rivard, was part of a small search party that, ...more
Published October 24th 2006 by PublicAffairs (first published October 17th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Trail Of Feathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trail Of Feathers

Florence
The mysterious death of a newspaper journalist in Mexico's Huichol lands sends his widow, Martha True, and colleague, Robert Rivard, off on a six year quest to see his murderers brought to justice. The land of Mexico's indigenous Huichol tribe is remote and virtually unknown to outsiders. Philip True was on a personal quest to understand the culture and experience the wilderness. The motive of his murder never becomes completely clear. This much I know from personal experience while traveling in ...more
Bookmarks Magazine

Rivard, who has served as editor of the San Antonio Express-News for almost a decade, positions True not only as a victim of a marginalized Indian tribe's violence but also as a symbol of the fragile relationship between the U.S. and Mexico. Critics agree that Trail of Feathers is a model of its genre. Told with unflinching honesty and sensitivity, the book recounts True's blue-collar upbringing, evolution as a journalist, and marriage to a Mexican woman pregnant with their first child__experien

Renee
This is a very moving book about the search for the truth. When Philip True a reporter does not return from a trip in to Mexico's mountains his wife reaches out to friends colleagues and the paper for which Philip works. It is written by Robert Rivard his editor, in trying to solve this mystery, a picture emerges of Philip True, Mexico and all the complications that lead to the unfortunate and tragic death of a seasoned reported and trekker.
Diana
Somehow I've gotten on a kick for books about men going off on stupid and wacky solo adventures. It was a little interesting to read about Huichel people of Mexico, less interesting to read about the dope who got himself killed there, and frustrating to know about the murderers never being jailed. I just flew over this region on my way back from Mexico City and it is as beautifully rugged and remote as the book suggests.
Hilary
Sad story about Philip True, written by his editor. Sometimes Rivard is just too close and uses this book as an opportunity to process. As therapy session for Rivard, I'd skip the book unless you were interested in True or the Huichol.
Kristine
Oct 15, 2007 Kristine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joyce
Excellent story of an editor's search for the truth after his reporter in Mexico is murdered. Even if you're not into journalism, it's a good adventure. I learned a lot about Mexico, too.
Jeff
Apr 03, 2013 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I loved this book. A true crime story that indulges my passion for reading about the infamous Sierra Madre area of Mexico. Compelling and compassionate.
Angelica
slow at first but got better as I continued, very good bo0k, historical and good description of the natives in Mexico
R.Joseph
True story about a journalist who was killed in Mexico. Shows the contrast between the indigenous people and the law.
Florenceweinberg
The suspenseful and true story of the disappearance of Philip True. Good reading.
Teofila
I learned that one must be careful when traveling.
Cory Bakke
Cory Bakke is currently reading it
May 22, 2015
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Allie
Allie added it
Dec 03, 2014
Glenn Knight
Glenn Knight marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Lauren Peek
Lauren Peek marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Underground Library
Underground Library marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
R
R marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Towers
Towers added it
Feb 04, 2014
Heidi Maricle
Heidi Maricle marked it as to-read
May 22, 2013