Start by marking “This Little Light of Mine” as Want to Read:
This Little Light of Mine

This Little Light of Mine

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  25 reviews
There is a light inside of

YOU.

Let it shine,

let it shine,

let it shine!

"This Little Light of Mine" is an African-American spiritual dating back to the days of slavery. The score is included in this book so that you can learn to play and sing and shine your light for everyone to see.
Published January 1st 2005 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about This Little Light of Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Little Light of Mine

This book is a great celebration and ode to African American culture.

The book starts with a little boy in a home who goes out for the day and "shines his light" on those he meets. He hugs his mom when he wakes up in the morning, he helps an old lady with her groceries, he greets the men outside on the storefront, and he invites a boy who looks sad to play basketball with his friends. The book shows how light is not hidden. It also teaches children what they should do around the community if they
Dana Beyer
This is an amazing book with the words of the familiar African/American. Spiritual. The smiling yellow-shirted boy carries his Light through his everyday activities. E. B. Lewis is a highly acclaimed illustrator of more than 30 picture books. I agree with the jacket cover. This illustrator "shines his light to the world through his artwork." I like the arrangement of the score included in the book. In the key of G and chorded makes it easy to play and sing. Yes, believe in the light inside of Y ...more
Krista Toomey
This book is a great way for kids to understand the spirit the African Americans had. I am still in shock how much hope they had when they were in slavery and this songs is a song of hope. I also think this book has a valuable lesson teaching and saying that each one of us is important and to to let our light shine. This is important for kids to understand because a lot of kids have a confidence problem but this book and song can give them hope. It is also a fun song to sing in a round.
Brittany
This book is adorable. I have always loved this song. It is a fun song to sing to kids, and it gives them a great message that they can shine happiness. They can be a ray of sunshine to others and to themselves. As I read this book, not only did I love the song and the message, I love the story that they show through the artwork. It was really touching. Overall, I rate this book a 5/5!
Ali Dunn
Great book teachers can use to implement critical pedagogy with in to their classrooms. This book breaks down the stereotypes society has put on a certain culture while also giving the audience encouragement and hope through the "light" of a little boy. Anyone and everyone is capable of doing something great, you just have to be confident and take action!
Ryan Fenn
This book was great. It had a powerful message of being a bright light to others. It teaches children to help others and does so in a great way through examples. The way that the art and illustration is done goes along great with the story as well. Great book that I would definitely read as a teacher.
Olivia Kirkham
I loved the art work in this book. Very beautiful and the story they told through the pictures are touching and they go along perfectly with the song, "This Little Light of Mine." It encourages serving others and being a light to people no matter where you go and to always believe in yourself. Cute story.
Julianna
This book was really cute. I liked the illustrations and I thought that they worked really well with the song. It is also a really cute, and accurate, and nice, way to show kids how they can be a good example to others in real-life ways.
Cory
Mar 26, 2014 Cory rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: march
I loved this book. Its a really cool to see African American culture from the perspective of this wonderful song. I would recommend this book to anyone because it teaches great values that everyone needs to know.
Robert J
This Little Light of Mine is based on the African-American spiritual put into picture book form. The pictures work in combination with the song to inspire. The end of the book includes the songs score.
Beth Pearson
This book really could be used for students of all ages. Great message and is inspiring. I could see using this to motivate students to do good. You could base a semester project off this book.
Breanne Driesel
This song book really touched my heart because of the words that were said and how you could see the meaning of them displayed in the story of the pictures. It was a very inspiring book!
Rachel
I enjoyed this book and had the song stuck in my head afterwards. I would use this book to teach integrity, service, and kindness. The artwork is done in a watercolor style.
Urvi
this book is so good, I use it to make my spirits high when they are low.
Alissa Sparks
This is a wonderful childhood memory of mine--the song itself, I mean.
Rachael Bingham
I LOVE the illustrations in this book. It helped my students learn to get more out of the text by paying attention to the pictures. It teaches a beautiful lesson about be a shining light to the world. And, I am able to teach church lessons in a public school setting without explicitly talking about my faith.
Nancy Mosqueda
E.B Lewis, created a book that shows us its meaning everytime in the images, in the faces of the characters. One only has to look into the boys' eyes and see that the light that shines there most definately will not stop shining. Not only that, but it will also make many more lights shine. This story is one of perseverence, strength and happiness, all of which can be seen in the images.
Mackenzie Raatz
This is a wonderful book and song that students may not be familiar with. It is an inspiring book about letting your light shine. It shows how we are different and unique. We have gifts that should shine!
Ashley Douglas
This children's book beautifully illustrates the idea of what is is to be a light to another person. Though this story is simply the lyrics to the song "This Little Light of Mine," the illustrations show the main character doing what the lyrics state, such as helping a woman with groceries and being a light in that way.
Ashley Travers
The book is a great supporting text to talking about slavery, but I wouldn't use it to start a slavery unit. It would be great to use if music is being incorporated. I enjoyed looking at the illustrations as I sang the song.
Amy Eikenberry
This is a great book that can be used encourage students to press forward even in difficult situations. The song that goes with the words is a great way to engage students!
Melanie
An amazingly illustrated version of the gospel song. A great song to sing in storytime as it encourages participation and most kids know this song.
Heather
Children love this song and will have lots to say about the pictures in the book of how we can help one another
Wendy
Beautiful illustrations by E.B. Lewis bring new life to that sweet spiritual that so many of us learned as children.
Michele Darmanin
Michele Darmanin marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
E.B. Lewis has illustrated more than thirty books for children, including Nikki Grimes' Talkin' About Bessie: The Story of Aviator Elizabeth Coleman, the 2003 Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award Winner; Alice Schertle's Down the Road, an ALA Notable Book; Tolowa M. Mollel's My Rows and Piles of Coins, an ALA Notable Book and a Coretta Scott King Honor Book; Bat Boy and His Violin by Garvin Curtis ...more
More about E.B. Lewis...
Creativity Untitled Picture Book The Other Side Each Kindness The Negro Speaks of Rivers