Start by marking “7 Keys to Comprehension: How to Help Your Kids Read It and Get It!” as Want to Read:
7 Keys to Comprehension: How to Help Your Kids Read It and Get It!

7 Keys to Comprehension: How to Help Your Kids Read It and Get It!

It's simple: If children don't understand what they read, they will never embrace reading. And that limits what they can learn while in school. This fact frightens parents, worries teachers, and ultimately hurts children.

7 Keys to Comprehension is the result of cutting-edge research. It gives parents and teachers—those who aren't already using this valuable program—practic
Published July 22nd 2003 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about 7 Keys to Comprehension, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Keys to Comprehension

Connie  Kuntz
Sep 26, 2012 Connie Kuntz rated it really liked it
Here is another enjoyable book that promotes critical thinking. I get a kick from these books because they help me prepare the kids to work closer with experts, academics, and teams.

By now you have heard about how panicked society gets at the thought of how un-socialized homeschooled kids are. Eeeeek! The horror of it all! I don't really understand what all that fuss is all about, but I do care that my kids will be able to work on teams, and be a part of their communities.

Since I'm here, I'd l
Olivia
Jun 16, 2017 Olivia rated it really liked it
This seems like a good pace to start in learning about reading comprehension strategies. I would whole-heartedly recommend it to parents. As a teacher, I love it's clarity. I am interested to compare it with recent research on reading comprehension to see how closely if matches research-proven, high-impact activities and methods in teaching comprehension.
Refine Lubis
Aug 07, 2013 Refine Lubis rated it really liked it
this book is full of tips for teachers and parent who keen to help their kids improve reading comprehension. however i find this book is good for adult too. basically this book emphasize the importance of being an active reader. it suggested to activate our analysis, our visual imagination, asking questions, draw conclusion and relate what we read with our own personal referenced like things we read in the past, movie we watched, places we went, food we ate etc. this book is nicely organized, th ...more
Nan
Jun 07, 2009 Nan rated it it was ok
Ever since Stephen Covey published The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, everyone everywhere has been looking for the 7 somethings to success. The result is usually a book that costs a lot and says very little. This book is no exception. Instead of stating 7 different paths to comprehension, the book states 1 thing over and over and over again -- get involved with your child's learning and model good reading. Its reading lists are great. Its approach is superficial. It assumes a certain " ...more
Rhonda
Jan 23, 2015 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
I read this book for a class on how to help students be better readers. I knew a lot of the information already, but it did contain good tips and ideas as well as an extensive list of material to help children work on each key. I only gave it four stars because of my background. If I was a parent reading it to help my child, it would have been a 5 star book because it was written more for parents without an education background than for teachers. I highly recommend to anyone who wants to help th ...more
Brynn
Sep 11, 2010 Brynn rated it really liked it
This is an absolutely excellent book for understanding the basics of reading. Geared towards parents more than teachers, this title still covers the information in a clear, concise manner with specific examples. It also avoids being wordy or using complicated language. The authors make an effort to ensure that most readers will walk away with further knowledge of how kids begin to really read (meaning: comprehend) and what small, manageable things every parent can do to encourage that growth. Th ...more
Natalie
Jan 19, 2009 Natalie rated it it was ok
Shelves: education
This went along with our professional development at work. It presents some good ideas and would be a good overview for someone just beginning to teach reading. There are better choices that outline comprehension strategies to teach however.
Choose Debbie Miller's--Reading with Meaning or Stephanie Harvey's--Strategies that work.

I found this book to be more of the same.
Tamara
Jan 31, 2009 Tamara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents, Teachers
Recommended to Tamara by: Karen, my boss
I think I would like to make copies of the "crafting session" notes, as well as the book list. Good tips, great examples. This is mostly common sense for good readers, but good readers' children need guidance too. I am sure I can apply lessons from this book to my work at school and reading at home with Nicco.
Angie Miller
Jul 15, 2014 Angie Miller rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone teaching children to read. It gives simple explanations for a extremely complex skill. The authors give recommendations and ideas on how to help increase areas needed to improve reading skills. I highly recommend this book for anyone that wants to help improve reading comprehension in those they are working with.
Michael Brockley
Feb 02, 2015 Michael Brockley rated it it was amazing
In 7 Keys to Comprehension, Susan Zimmerman and Chryse Hutchins have written a practical how-to for teachers and parents that provides not only tips on how to use the seven research-based reading comprehension strategies, but also a chapter devoted to repairing comprehension breakdowns.
Detroitangel
Nov 12, 2012 Detroitangel rated it really liked it
I've read this twice for a book study through my childrens' school. The teachers adopted these tools and have had a great response.
It is very easy to follow and gives great references for activities.
Dawn
Feb 08, 2008 Dawn rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best for helping children comprehend and thoroughly enjoy reading! It's a must for teachers and parents. It has the potential to change how you as an adult read and certainly how you share reading with the children in your life. I keep coming back to it again and again!
Amy
May 02, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Im reading this to help one of my boys with his comprehension. Excellent thought here on HOW to develop a reader and YES it can be taught. I think it has strengthened my win reading and I'm already using it with the boys. Definitely recommend.
Nancy
Sep 10, 2007 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Probably the easiest to read professional book on teaching reading comprehension strategies (maybe because it's pitched to parents rather than to teachers?) I highly recommend it, especially to new elementary teachers.
Katie
Oct 02, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful resource for teachers and parents. Along with each comprehension strategy, Susan Zimmermann lists some children's literature that can help teach each particular skill. I would recommend it, and I will be referencing this for many years to come, I am sure.
Judith
Jul 27, 2011 Judith rated it really liked it
Good book for both beginning teachers and parents. The authors give some clear directions and ideas for how to teach reading strategies. The authors stress the importance of comprehension as a major necessity for readers of all levels.
Jeannette
Mar 09, 2009 Jeannette is currently reading it
Recommends it for: all parents
Recommended to Jeannette by: Ms. Tolliver
great tips for reading with your children, getting your kids to read and understand.
Jeff
Feb 27, 2016 Jeff rated it it was ok
boring, common sense, utopian stories.
Kelly
Jul 22, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pd
Should be referred to often. Clear steps to comprehension. Emphasis on reading. Practical classroom applications.
Kirsten
Feb 14, 2009 Kirsten is currently reading it
So far it's going real well, an easy read that has some great tips for teaching children to read, and enjoy it.
Melissa
Nov 06, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
Great companion book to Mosaic of Thought.
Kendra Kruse
Aug 17, 2016 Kendra Kruse rated it it was amazing
Accessible and thought-provoking for my entry into really digging into reading metacognition.
Trista
Mar 13, 2008 Trista rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacherreads
This is a great book that outlines what students need to be taught to become more proficient readers.
Elisabeth
Jul 19, 2007 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
I read this for work, but its great!! easy to read and helpful on how to help kids understand what they read.
Carrie
Feb 28, 2010 Carrie rated it did not like it
Seems a little like commen sense.
Tracy
Oct 27, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
This probably was a really good read for the beginning teacher or parent. However a lot of things mentioned I already knew about. I did take away a couple of new strategies.
Monica
Oct 05, 2009 Monica rated it liked it
Great book. Broekn down wonderfully. This book is a great tool for not just language arts teachers but a great book for any subject. I can use a lot of these keys in the science classroom as well.
Karen
Jul 25, 2007 Karen rated it it was amazing
Top notch reading for both parents and teachers supporting readers in using thinking strategies.
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • Literacy Work Stations: Making Centers Work
  • Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literacy Assessment and Instruction
  • Guiding Readers and Writers (Grades 3-6): Teaching, Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Wondrous Words: Writers and Writing in the Elementary Classroom
  • How's It Going?: A Practical Guide to Conferring with Student Writers
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers