How to Teach Your Baby to Read

How to Teach Your Baby to Read

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  44 reviews
This book presents four tenets: Tiny children can learn to
Hardcover, Revised & Updated 40th Anniversary Edition, 281 pages
Published October 25th 2002 by Gentle Revolution Press (first published October 1964)

The Book of Mormon by MórmonThe Complete Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow by Henry Wadsworth LongfellowHoly Bible by AnonymousA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensBook of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price by The Church of Jesus Christ ...
Thomas S. Monson's quoted books
38th out of 41 books — 6 voters
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyWatership Down by Richard AdamsGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
Fascinating Titles
165th out of 198 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Pete
To ANYONE who wants their kids to grow up with super reading skills...this is it. Scientifically created by a brain researcher. The original was published way back in the 60's (or maybe 50's). I used it to teach both my kids to read, starting at 18 months. That's right, months. Both learned to read by 3, and my son had read all the early grade school books by 4. We couldn't find enough with big print. By 5 he was through most of the middle school books.

I measured his reading speed (better than...more
Valerie
Reading this book changed my perception of babies and their potential. They are capable of so much, and I appreciated being able to feel like I was really teaching them rather than just waiting for them to grow out of the cute "blob" stage. I've applied these ideas of teaching babies from all the books the Domans have written, and had my children reading at age 3, learning to speak by reading (my autistic son), recognizing a "giant walkingstick" in a natural history museum (even though he was so...more
Tim Headley
The most WONDERFUL experience in life is teaching your 2-year old how to read, and watching her LOVE to read, really read books, at age 3. Sure, it will make your baby much more intelligent, but just as important, you will have such sweet memories of those special times with your child cuddled on your lap, reading aloud to you.
Cheryl
Every parent should read all of Doman's books. Even if you don't agree with 100% of his methods, you will learn how important it is to take advantage of the child's early years when their mind is like a sponge.
Jen
Sep 22, 2008 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who hangs out with children!
I love, love, love this book. My 4 year old is reading everything he see's now, and my 1 year old is trying too. This will be my new gift for all new parents.
Christina
Interesting idea. The basic premise is that reading is a natural brain function, just like learning to understand spoken language. According to the authors, kids don't learn to read earlier on their own because generally print is too small for their underdeveloped vision. Apparently the method described in the book (using very large, bold flashcards) has worked for thousands of families, and I plan to start trying it with Isobel within the next few months.
That said, the writing was poor, and the...more
Amy
I'm definitely intrigued by the idea, and I desperately want to try it...and yet I'm hesitant. I agree with the author that young children soak up knowledge with an unfathomable rapidity, so I think my son would love it. I'm just nervous because there is no phonics involved whatsoever...the child is taught solely through sight words, which gets to be a LOT of words on cards! My concern is that he will learn to read and yet be missing some of the most basic tools he needs to continue learning on...more
Paul
According to this book, little children (0-5 years old) are more intelligent and capable of learning than previously imagined. After it is understood that they have a huge amount of curiosity about the world around them, the authors strongly recommend enriching a child’s environment by teaching them to read.

The Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential (the group behind this book) was begun to see if it was possible to teach brain-damaged children to read. In this case, "brain-damaged" m...more
Jessica
Glenn Doman's advice on teaching a baby to read is both refreshingly straightforward and precise (down to the number of inches tall your letters should be and what color of felt tip marker you ought to use to make them). While not all of these injunctions seem proven or perhaps necessary to the working of this plan, they are what worked for Doman and so he relates them. It is nice that he put the pragmatic portions of the book separate from the philosophical because it makes turning back to it w...more
Amy
An easy read and a great concept with convincing arguments and testimonials. I sent away for my reading cards immediately! Just started teaching him last week and already my 2.5-year-old is reading a couple of words. I was most intrigued by the chicken and egg question presented by the authors about so many early readers entering gifted programs. Did they read early because they were gifted or did they excel (and thereby acquire the gifted label becuase they read early????)
Marcus
A large part of the book is spent explaining whether and why anyone would want to teach their baby to read. Will it HURT them? Will it RETARD their growth? Will it OVER-PRESSURE them? Etc. If you're already convinced that teaching your baby to read isn't going to mortally wound their infant souls then you'll be happy to have your intuition confirmed by data, and you can then proceed to skim the first 100 pages

The rest of the book gives a system for creating cards and starting to expose the baby...more
Tori
This book was far more interesting than I had thought it would be going into it. I thought it would be more of a how-to book, but it surprised me--quite pleasantly, I might add--that it spends more of the time telling you WHY you should teach your child to read young and HOW they actually learn.

I also now feel bad about not starting to teach my son German already.

Parental guilt aside, it was really interesting to me to read about the studies that have led up to the book's initial goal of teach...more
Ivanny Fuller
No tengo hijos, descargué este libro para enseñarle a leer a mi sobrina. No esperaba que fuese tan interesante. La información sobre el proyecto, la parte cientifica, los niños especiales, las anécdotas y los comentarios & facts sobre educacion fueron lo que hicieron que este libro me gustara tanto y que quisiera hablar de el.
Kimberly Smith
I love this book for many reasons. I love that it opened my eyes to what our children are capable of - absolutely amazing things. I love that it inspired me to be a more dedicated mother. I love that it teaches us how to teach our children. It emphasizes making learning fun to keep the kids interested. Make learning a game. That may seem common sense, but I definitely wasn't raised to learn that way. I have used this on my children as infants and toddlers and I strongly believe it is one reason...more
Barbara
Il metodo Dolman, che ignoravo completamente, nasce dalla cura dei bambini affetti da lesioni cerebrali. L'equipe di questo professore americano, nell'arco di trent'anni, si è resa conto che stimolando opportunamente bambini affetti da grave ritardo mentale si ottenevano risultati strabilianti. Da qui la conclusione che applicando lo stesso metodo ai bambini "normali" si potesse stimolare notevolmente la loro intelligenza.
In particolare questo testo dimostra come sia possibile insegnare a legger...more
Jenny
Feb 07, 2010 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: any parent of young children
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Recently I have had a desire to help my daughter love learning. She already does, so I wanted to find a way to help maintain that throughout her life. She is two years old and I marvel at her enthusiasm to learn and, plainly, at how bright she is. So when it was recommended I read this book, I loved the idea...and I loved the book. I have begun to implement the plan to teach your young children to read and Callie loves it. She looks forward to seeing her words eve...more
I'm really excited about what I learned from this book. I would love to instill an early love (and ability) for reading in my child. This book outlines a method to do so. He suggests ways to begin at birth and on up. My main issue with this book was the derogatory tone towards mothers: his assumption that parents put their children in play pens all day every day, never let them explore, discourage children from appropriate neurological development, and that no one takes mothers seriously. Basica...more
Fifa
Nov 16, 2007 Fifa rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: new parents
Shelves: non-fics
Don't you ever let your baby grows without you, as his/her parents, reading this.

Babies are natural born geniuses. But we have tendencies to degeniusing them. So what can we do to maintain their superior brain and logic?

First, you can teach them to read. It will save you a lot of fuss someday when they're big enough, already bored with their shining bright coloured toys, and start to whining for your attention. Just toss them their favorite books and you can enjoy your cup of tea peacefully (I...more
Eliza Mansuetto Uribe
I read this book and went out and bought all the poster paper, black markers, etc. I wrote the huge words on them and tried doing it with my son. He was 18 months when we started. Totally bombed. I stopped. He is almost 3 now. Once in a while I pull out the cards but honestly, reading to your kids seems like the best way and this book doesn't really talk about reading to your kids. You know... the old fashioned way. Good in theory. Can't say it works, though.
Alissa
I thought this would be interesting, but the program is so involved as a parent. I could never remember to do the flashcards and then when I thought really hard about why I wanted to do this, is was more for a show-off factor for me than for knowledge for my child. I think all my kids will know of my love for reading and hopefully catch some of that, but I don't want them to feel pressured by being put on some sort of a regimented schedule with flashcards.
Banahaw
Best book I've read for my toddler.
Codrut
Jan 22, 2014 Codrut added it
ewfrewfr
Chad
Jan 24, 2010 Chad rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who wants to teach their baby to read (DUH).
The system, and the reasoning behind it, appears solid and workable. Seems like it will require alot of prep time making cue-cards though.

The only real problem I had was that the first 80% of the book is spent explaining WHY you should teach pre-schoolers to read and WHY their system works. The HOW part feels like a foot-note tacked on to the end.
Tiffany
I read the first part of this book and was really inspired to spend QUALITY time with my boys. Then I read the second half and was excited to teach my boys how to read. Then I heard about induced dyslexia or educational dyslexia from children learning to read through the whole word method and I decided not to use the techniques it taught in this book.
Teri
I'm not even half way thru it and wow.....I sooo love it!

Update: I did finish the book and wow.....it sounds great! I haven't yet started the process with Phoebe but I am hoping to do so during the summer. I'd like to see if it actually works. I might use it with Logan, too. Although he might be past that stage now.
Michelle
Nov 11, 2009 Michelle marked it as to-read
A friend of Hatton's recommended this. I was suspicious at first, wondering if it's really wise to push reading on super young kids. But according to the reviews of those who've tried it, it's brought really positive results to their families. I'm curious enough to give it a look (even without a baby to experiment on).
Sangkan Tambunan
Good books for parents who are currently raising their kids/baby. This book tell us that our baby's intelligence is much more than we think they are. You can teach them to read very early, even from their very first or second months of age. The book also give a thorough step-by-step to follow on how to teach a baby to read.
Kellie Barlow
I wish I had read this 8 years ago! I can't wait to try this out with Jack, and see if it really works. I really enjoyed all of the information on child development that was included in this book. Everything was easy to understand, and seemed very logical. A surprisingly good read.
Maggie
I'm sur eit's great if you actually DO it and stick with it. But I didn't do it - for very long. I only lasted a few weeks with Maya. I felt it was a waste of time. Maybe now that she's older it might work, I could pull out those visuals again and see.
Lisa
What can I say about this method? It is one of the most wonderful ways to encourage early brain development, not to mention the freedom the kids have once they are able to read by themselves when they are 2 or 3 years old.
  • The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child: Your Complete Guide to Getting Off to the Right Start
  • Pocketful Of Pinecones: Nature Study With The Gentle Art Of Learning:  A Story For Mother Culture
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children
  • The Way They Learn: How to Discover and Teach to Your Child's Strengths
  • The No-Cry Potty Training Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Child Say Good-Bye to Diapers
  • Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School
  • A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion
  • Nurtured by Love: The Classic Approach to Talent Education
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • Learning All The Time
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
  • Positive Discipline
  • The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
GLENN DOMAN is the founder of The Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential to which parents from every continent have been finding their way for more than a half of a century. He and The Institutes are famous for their pioneering work with brain-injured children and for their work in early development for well children.

In addition to dealing intimately with more than twenty thousand fami...more
More about Glenn Doman...
How to Teach Your Baby Math How to Multiply Your Baby's Intelligence: The Gentle Revolution What to Do about Your Brain-Injured Child: Or Your Brain-Damaged, Mentally Retarded, Mentally Deficient, Cerebral-Palsied, Epileptic, Autistic, Athetoid, Hyperactive, Attention Deficit Disordered, Developmentally Delayed, Down's Child How Smart Is Your Baby?: Develop and Nurture Your Newborn's Full Potential How to Give Your Baby Encyclopedic Knowledge: The Gentle Revolution