Start by marking “Next Stop, Grand Central” as Want to Read:
Next Stop, Grand Central

Next Stop, Grand Central

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Maira Kalman’s joyous celebration of this dazzling landmark brilliantly captures the wonder, complexity and grandiosity of Grand Central and all the people who are part of it.

Kalman’s witty text and bright, detailed illustrations bring to life “the biggest, fastest, busiest place there is.”

This special hardcover edition is being published to coincide with Grand Central’s...more
Hardcover
Published January 25th 1999 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Next Stop, Grand Central, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Next Stop, Grand Central

Edward Sullivan
A frantic, crowded, whimsical, entertaining celebration of Grand Central. Love the behidn-the-scenes look at the people who keep the station running. Reissued for the Grand Central centennial.
Meredith
My mom grew up in Brooklyn and the majority of her friends still live in New York and in the North East. Perhaps my favorite of her friends, who still lives in New York, bough this book for my sister and I when we were little.

I'd always remembered loving it, but I hadn't read it in probably a good 5 or 6 years. When going through our old picture books the other day (sad, I know), I came across Next Stop, Grand Central once more, and was brought back to the quirkiness that is Maira Kalman with al...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
To celebrate the 100th year anniversary of Grand Central Station Maria Kalman wrote this wonderful picture book. This book illustrates the workings of Grand Central Station, who uses it, who works there, and what they do. It is a great picture book for ages 5-7. This can be read to the younger set but there is a lot of facts and information that would be difficult for children under age 5 to process. Reading this to my niece I learned some things. I definitely think this was a very good book. I...more
Emmeline Guest
I adore ANYTHING Maira Kalman, but this is one of my favorites, simple because it is my son's favorite.

I get to check out the wonderful, whimsical, and wacky illustrations of Maira Kalman, and he gets to learn all about Grand Central station. I can see the words zip, rush, zoom off the page into his imagination.

Kalman is not known for her typical children's stories, and this book is no different - there is no "all aboard" or "chug chug chug" in this story, instead Kalman creates a chaotic world...more
Amy
This is a really fun and different story to read to children. It shows them the aspects of travel through train at Grand Central in New York and describes all the many people who are traveling, as well as why they are traveling and where they may be going (on a business trip, to see family, to meet a lover after a trip, etc.) It's exciting to read with children because they can see a different method of transportation as well as the diversity of people going from one place to another. The langua...more
Nicole Cingiser
Maira Kalman is among my favorite writers/artists/thinkers, and her work for children and adults is equally engaging. Next Stop, Grand Central has so much to offer to its readers. Rich language, whimsical illustrations, insight into how a complex institution (Grand Central Terminal and the associated railroads) works, and connection to the geography of the area are among some of the things that I love about the book. It's great fun to read aloud (especially names that include Zagwat Holstein, an...more
Elisabeth
One of my favorite things to see during a REALLY quick visit to NYC was Grand Central. It's amazing. This book captures the hectic, the interesting, the beautiful. A wonderful and exciting blur!
Rachael
Look at all the people you might encounter at the train station! It takes lots of people to keep things running smoothly and cleanly.

A dramatic play station/center around the idea of a train station - this book would be great to read as an introduction, prior to modeling the behavior that might be seen in the center. Also, important to leave in or near the station, or in the reading/writing area for students to identify words or pictures that they may want to write about. Reflection on play time...more
Patricia Baker
Received this book in the mail today as a winner of the Bookish 12 Days of Giveaways. Thank you Bookish.

Loved this hardback book about Grand Central. Lived for a while in NJ and went thru this big place once. Such a huge building with many nations of people moving to and from places. Love all the names of the characters on the pages. drawings are interesting. Script and font is fun to read.

Will be taking this book with me when I visit my grandsons in Oklahoma this weekend.
Lillian Collier
This is a great picture book which may be best for older students, but can also be enjoyed by young students. The illustrations include multiple cultures, the vocabulary is rich, and the writing has strong voice. This would be a great model for writing about a place, or for persuasive writing. This text could be used for a million different purposes- connections, prompts for writing or discussion, use of time, etc.
Emilia P
Oh god, man.
He's growing to grow up to be a famous scientist because he eats his beets, indeed.
This book is a wonderful, busy, bustling, free-form slice of life of the train station after which it is named. Oh man, did it make me want to jump on a train right now. Yes it did.
Maira, will you write my biography? Or... just. Anything. Can we hang out? Call me maybeee.
Maria
I came across Next Stop Grand Central while I was shelving the picture books this afternoon. Ms. Kalman manages to capture the frenetic pace of Grand Central Station in her illustrations, while telling the story of what you might encounter during one day at the station.

Great to share with just one or a larger group too.
Karen
This is a wonderful children's book which really captures the flavor of Grand Central Station--the wide variety of people who pass through, and the many different activities going on at the same time. I love Kalman's illustrations and I think children would be captivated by the little details.
Becca
Any book that makes milk come out of Walker's nose is A-OK! When we first got some of her books the boys were too young-they were just too long and twisty. Now they love them. We have to go back to the shelves and dig out the rest. Just remember to not drink milk while reading them.
Mrs Bond
Another beautifully fun book from Maira Kalman. An invitation for the reader to visit Grand Central Station in New York. Introduces the reader to the people who help keep Grand Central moving. Talks about the people who pass through on their way to work and life.
Marcie
I could see using this prior to any field trip to talk about being an observer. It also might be useful when talking about jobs or community helpers. Although I've only beem to Grand Central once, this was the most artistic creation of the felling I got.
Amy
This book was ALL.OVER.THE.PLACE. It just had too many quirky sayings throughout the book. I know kids like that type of thing, but I think it was just too over the top. Great idea to celebrate such a fantastic building, but just not for me.
Christine
Maria Kalman books are always great - for kids and their parents. (Guaranteed to not make your eyes glaze over - you'll get a kick out of her books as much as your kids will!)
Such a good kid present. I adore Maira Kalman's drawings and her goofy sense of humor. I wish she was my friend.
Virginia
all of her books are so smart and full of suprises, i wish i had grown up with them in my life.
Rebecca
given to lia, i have read this one several times and each time i giggle out loud!
Linda Atkinson
omg! I feel as if I was really there! Happy 100th Grand Central!
courtney
i wish maira kalman was my aunt.
Danie P.
Great for pictures...
Tiah Keever
Maira Kalman is great!
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Maira Kalman was born in Tel Aviv and moved to New York with her family at the age of four. She has worked as a designer, author, illustrator and artist for more than thirty years without formal training. Her work is a narrative journal of her life and all its absurdities. She has written and illustrated twelve children's books including Ooh-la-la- Max in Love, What Pete Ate, and Swami on Rye . Sh...more
More about Maira Kalman...
The Principles of Uncertainty And the Pursuit of Happiness Looking at Lincoln Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey Ooh-la-la: Max in Love