Start by marking “Next Stop, Grand Central” as Want to Read:
Next Stop, Grand Central

Next Stop, Grand Central

Maira Kalman’s joyous celebration of this dazzling landmark brilliantly captures the wonder, complexity and grandiosity of Grand Central and all the people who are part of it.

Kalman’s witty text and bright, detailed illustrations bring to life “the biggest, fastest, busiest place there is.”

This special hardcover edition is being published to coincide with Grand Centr
Hardcover
Published January 25th 1999 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Next Stop, Grand Central, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Next Stop, Grand Central

Edward Sullivan
Mar 18, 2013 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A frantic, crowded, whimsical, entertaining celebration of Grand Central. Love the behidn-the-scenes look at the people who keep the station running. Reissued for the Grand Central centennial.
Meredith
Feb 21, 2012 Meredith rated it it was amazing
My mom grew up in Brooklyn and the majority of her friends still live in New York and in the North East. Perhaps my favorite of her friends, who still lives in New York, bough this book for my sister and I when we were little.

I'd always remembered loving it, but I hadn't read it in probably a good 5 or 6 years. When going through our old picture books the other day (sad, I know), I came across Next Stop, Grand Central once more, and was brought back to the quirkiness that is Maira Kalman with al
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
To celebrate the 100th year anniversary of Grand Central Station Maria Kalman wrote this wonderful picture book. This book illustrates the workings of Grand Central Station, who uses it, who works there, and what they do. It is a great picture book for ages 5-7. This can be read to the younger set but there is a lot of facts and information that would be difficult for children under age 5 to process. Reading this to my niece I learned some things. I definitely think this was a very good book. I ...more
Emmeline Guest
Aug 30, 2009 Emmeline Guest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore ANYTHING Maira Kalman, but this is one of my favorites, simple because it is my son's favorite.

I get to check out the wonderful, whimsical, and wacky illustrations of Maira Kalman, and he gets to learn all about Grand Central station. I can see the words zip, rush, zoom off the page into his imagination.

Kalman is not known for her typical children's stories, and this book is no different - there is no "all aboard" or "chug chug chug" in this story, instead Kalman creates a chaotic world
Olivia Lagore
Told with humor and warmth, this book is filled with fun illustrations and an equally fun story, telling about the lives of the people who travel through, work in, and visit Grand Central Station. The story does not really have a main character, except perhaps for the station itself, but this adds to the charm. It feels as though the narrator has sat in the station for years, watching and getting to know everyone, and is now showing us around and introducing us.
This book will appeal to any "wat
Amy
This is a really fun and different story to read to children. It shows them the aspects of travel through train at Grand Central in New York and describes all the many people who are traveling, as well as why they are traveling and where they may be going (on a business trip, to see family, to meet a lover after a trip, etc.) It's exciting to read with children because they can see a different method of transportation as well as the diversity of people going from one place to another. The langua ...more
Nicole Cingiser
Maira Kalman is among my favorite writers/artists/thinkers, and her work for children and adults is equally engaging. Next Stop, Grand Central has so much to offer to its readers. Rich language, whimsical illustrations, insight into how a complex institution (Grand Central Terminal and the associated railroads) works, and connection to the geography of the area are among some of the things that I love about the book. It's great fun to read aloud (especially names that include Zagwat Holstein, an ...more
Rachael
Look at all the people you might encounter at the train station! It takes lots of people to keep things running smoothly and cleanly.

A dramatic play station/center around the idea of a train station - this book would be great to read as an introduction, prior to modeling the behavior that might be seen in the center. Also, important to leave in or near the station, or in the reading/writing area for students to identify words or pictures that they may want to write about. Reflection on play time
Abby Kenski
I have always loved New York City, it's one of my favorite places in the world. I was really excited when I found this, because it describes the fast pace lives of people in NYC, how they travel, their lifestyle, work, and their visit to Grand Central Station. As I read this story, it was very accurate about how the author described and made Grand Central look. It felt as if I was there again. What I also really liked about this book was that it also added a lot of humor to it and the words thro ...more
Patricia Baker
Received this book in the mail today as a winner of the Bookish 12 Days of Giveaways. Thank you Bookish.

Loved this hardback book about Grand Central. Lived for a while in NJ and went thru this big place once. Such a huge building with many nations of people moving to and from places. Love all the names of the characters on the pages. drawings are interesting. Script and font is fun to read.

Will be taking this book with me when I visit my grandsons in Oklahoma this weekend.
Lillian Collier
This is a great picture book which may be best for older students, but can also be enjoyed by young students. The illustrations include multiple cultures, the vocabulary is rich, and the writing has strong voice. This would be a great model for writing about a place, or for persuasive writing. This text could be used for a million different purposes- connections, prompts for writing or discussion, use of time, etc.
Maria
May 12, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
I came across Next Stop Grand Central while I was shelving the picture books this afternoon. Ms. Kalman manages to capture the frenetic pace of Grand Central Station in her illustrations, while telling the story of what you might encounter during one day at the station.

Great to share with just one or a larger group too.
Emilia P
Oct 17, 2012 Emilia P rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-stuff
Oh god, man.
He's growing to grow up to be a famous scientist because he eats his beets, indeed.
This book is a wonderful, busy, bustling, free-form slice of life of the train station after which it is named. Oh man, did it make me want to jump on a train right now. Yes it did.
Maira, will you write my biography? Or... just. Anything. Can we hang out? Call me maybeee.
Nancy Kotkin
I've spent some time in Grand Central Station, New York; it's a wonderful setting for a children's picture book about train stations and travel. I wish the art conveyed a more realistic depiction of the actual location, rather than all the random images of people with odd names. But I love the uniquely styled copyright page.
Paul
Oct 30, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book doesn't look or read like so many children's books. It's not cute or linear, but there is a visual energy and wit that is paired with an affectionate look at the place, the employees, and passers-through who populate this NYC fixture.
Becca
Nov 12, 2010 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any book that makes milk come out of Walker's nose is A-OK! When we first got some of her books the boys were too young-they were just too long and twisty. Now they love them. We have to go back to the shelves and dig out the rest. Just remember to not drink milk while reading them.
Amy
May 20, 2013 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ALL.OVER.THE.PLACE. It just had too many quirky sayings throughout the book. I know kids like that type of thing, but I think it was just too over the top. Great idea to celebrate such a fantastic building, but just not for me.
Mrs Bond
Mar 10, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook
Another beautifully fun book from Maira Kalman. An invitation for the reader to visit Grand Central Station in New York. Introduces the reader to the people who help keep Grand Central moving. Talks about the people who pass through on their way to work and life.
Marcie
Jun 01, 2011 Marcie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could see using this prior to any field trip to talk about being an observer. It also might be useful when talking about jobs or community helpers. Although I've only beem to Grand Central once, this was the most artistic creation of the felling I got.
Karen
Feb 13, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful children's book which really captures the flavor of Grand Central Station--the wide variety of people who pass through, and the many different activities going on at the same time. I love Kalman's illustrations and I think children would be captivated by the little details.
Jan 12, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was ok
This was dated (written 1999). I liked all the detail; there was a lot to look at...but so much has changed there since then I doubt it's close to accurate.
courtney
Jul 01, 2008 courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i wish maira kalman was my aunt.
Virginia
Nov 26, 2007 Virginia rated it it was amazing
all of her books are so smart and full of suprises, i wish i had grown up with them in my life.
Elisabeth
Jan 29, 2014 Elisabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite things to see during a REALLY quick visit to NYC was Grand Central. It's amazing. This book captures the hectic, the interesting, the beautiful. A wonderful and exciting blur!
Linda Atkinson
Jan 16, 2013 Linda Atkinson rated it really liked it
omg! I feel as if I was really there! Happy 100th Grand Central!
Jesse
Aug 17, 2009 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
marry me
Christine
May 10, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maria Kalman books are always great - for kids and their parents. (Guaranteed to not make your eyes glaze over - you'll get a kick out of her books as much as your kids will!)
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Rebecca
Aug 12, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
given to lia, i have read this one several times and each time i giggle out loud!
Leskiddoshoffman
Leskiddoshoffman rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2012
  • Moon Man
  • The Happy Lion
  • There Was a Tree
  • Now One Foot, Now the Other
  • Fireflies (Reading Rainbow)
  • Little Tug
Maira Kalman was born in Tel Aviv and moved to New York with her family at the age of four. She has worked as a designer, author, illustrator and artist for more than thirty years without formal training. Her work is a narrative journal of her life and all its absurdities. She has written and illustrated twelve children's books including Ooh-la-la- Max in Love, What Pete Ate, and Swami on Rye . Sh ...more
More about Maira Kalman...