Start by marking “Field Notes: The Grace Note of the Canyon Wren” as Want to Read:
Field Notes: The Grace Note of the Canyon Wren

Field Notes: The Grace Note of the Canyon Wren

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this collection of twelve stories, Barry Lopez—the National Book Award–winning author of Arctic Dreams and one of our most admired writers—evokes the longing we feel for beauty in our relationships with one another, with the past, and with nature.

An anthropologist traveling with an aboriginal people finds that, because of his aggressive desire to understand them, they
Published June 8th 2004 by Vintage (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Field Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Field Notes

Field Notes by Barry LópezGraphic the Valley by Peter Brown HoffmeisterRefuge by Terry Tempest WilliamsMother Country by Marilynne RobinsonAngle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
Tee Tee Dubs
1st out of 17 books — 2 voters
Desert Solitaire by Edward AbbeyA Sand County Almanac by Aldo LeopoldPilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie DillardA Year on the Wing by Tim DeeRefuge by Terry Tempest Williams
Best of Outdoor Literature
42nd out of 77 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Jacquelyn Mccaw
Let Barry immerse you in the worlds he creates through words…
Field Notes by Barry Lopez. Vintage Books, New York, 1994

Barry Lopez masters the art of creating a picture in the mind of the viewer in this fiction piece. His descriptions are so vivid and detailed that the reader can literally see the surroundings around the characters. Field Notes is broken into 12 short stories that bring the reader into completely different settings with each. There are common themes throughout each short story, h
Kevin Spicer
Favorite line: "I departed-my body deft, taut-with a clear sense of where I should go: the route, the dangers, the distances by day. But then the landscape became vast."

Each of these stories speaks of how our desire to know, to analyze, to categorize, to enact some method of control in our lives is often overwhelmed by something emotive and infinite lurking within ourselves and the land. Moving into that state of unknowing is a movement toward consolation and ultimately, hope, while resistance t
Ryan Mishap
This collection of short stories proves that Lopez is underrated as a fiction writer--oh sure, he's won awards, but his nonfiction overshadows the little gems he writes (see Resistance for an excellent book).

As the title suggests, most of the stories deal with people who are intent on observing, and, doing so, they fail to participate in the life aorund them; fail to live in nature and remain apart from it.

The second theme that emerges involves people who become disconnected from others beca
Rachel
I thought this was a book of nature essays, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's short stories, and they do have to do with nature, but they have this magical element that's just enough for me. The book is many years old, but I'd say this is the freshest nature-type writing I've ever read. It's surprising and very well written and quick but not too light. I will definitely be seeking out more of Lopez's fiction.
Ryan
Amazing short stories. There seems to be a theme in this collection, that the main character doesn't always 'get' the situation they are in, that they are distracted or can't see the deeper meaning to what's being communicated.
I don't read or enjoy much short fiction, so the fact that I even liked this is remarkable... I found the stories interesting, unsettling, enjoyable, thought-provoking, and will probably return to a few of them again.
Terresa
A memorable book, for the rare chance of reading it at an ideal time (!!) and for the beautiful unknowingness of the places, characters, and their quests. A perfect introduction to the writings of Barry Lopez.
Mary Cartledgehayes
I broke up with this book before finishing it, but I was pleased to wander within Lopez's scrumptious vocabulary for a time.
Nell
Apr 05, 2011 Nell added it
Sometimes it is good to remember there is a life outside of the screen.
Kathryn
Beautiful images but not enough plot or character to really engage the reader.
Keith Miller
Field Notes: The Grace Note of the Canyon Wren by Barry Lopez (2004)
Brandon
I read this book in less than a day, couldn't put it down.
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Dilyana
Dilyana marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Michael Karwowski
Michael Karwowski marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Sarah Grosvenor
Sarah Grosvenor marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Erin Murphy
Erin Murphy marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Rob
Rob is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Walking It Off: A Veteran's Chronicle of War and Wilderness
  • The Open Space of Democracy
  • Hole in the Sky: A Memoir
  • The Birds of Heaven: Travels with Cranes
  • The Desperate People
Barry Holstun López is an American author, essayist, and fiction writer whose work is known for its environmental and social concerns.

López has been described as "the nation's premier nature writer" by the San Francisco Chronicle. In his non-fiction, he frequently examines the relationship between human culture and physical landscape, while in his fiction he addresses issues of intimacy, ethics an
More about Barry López...
Arctic Dreams Of Wolves and Men Crossing Open Ground About This Life Desert Notes/River Notes

“You smell like the woods.” 0 likes