Start by marking “Letters from the End of the World: A Firsthand Account of the Bombing of Hiroshima” as Want to Read:

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A love story in the form of letters to the author's young wife, who died soon after the bombing of Hiroshima.
More than fifty years after the Second World War, the scars left by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima refuse to heal. This compelling account of one man's experience gives a human face to the events of August 6, 1945.
For a week after the bombing, the author, who was...more
Published November 9th 2001 by Kodansha (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from the End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from the End of the World

Candy
Engrossing first hand account of the atomic bomb over Hiroshima, Japan. This book was originally published in 1948, taken from a series of letters the author wrote to his wife who died 2 weeks after the blast. The author chronicals in detail his own experiences as well as those of all he met in those first crital days and weeks. Heart wrenching. I bought this book in Heroshima when I was there in December of 2008.
Lindsay
An iteresting take on the bombing of Hiroshima. The reader is told the sotyr through love letters he writes to his dead wife. I alwasy like reading books about history that are from a narrative point of view, (not so "text book-y") and this book does the trick.
Wanda Kasmarzyk
While I was in Hiroshima on vacation I saw firsthand how devastated the Atomic Bomb was. This is a true account of the day of the A-bomb and what happened. Fascinating book.
Choonyeefan
Lugubrious!

It almost moved me to tears. A true personal account of how life was immediately before and after the bombing. You have to read this book.
Debbie
Oct 23, 2007 Debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mike
Brian and I read this for summer reading. Very moving.
Odetta Grey
Odetta Grey marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Daniel Rawiński
Daniel Rawiński marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Hightrad
Hightrad marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Jun 12, 2014
Ginger
Ginger marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Nacho.gb
Nacho.gb marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Juliet
Juliet marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Kaitlynn
Kaitlynn marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
Julie Dunn Shedd
Julie Dunn Shedd marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Virginie
Virginie marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Miguel RodCar
Miguel RodCar marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2013