Start by marking “Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled

Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs Pollifax #14)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,290 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
Seven weeks ago, a young American woman, Amanda Pym, faced down hijackers on board a flight to the Middle East and saved the lives of more than two hundred passengers. In a blaze of celebrity, she stepped off the plane in Damascus and was whisked away in a waiting car. Since then, NOTHING. The CIA believes she was kidnapped and murdered.

Whose plans has the apparently ordin
Audio
Published February 1st 2000 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled

Jesse
Oct 29, 2012 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In her latest adventure, Mrs. P heads back to the Middle East—destination: Syria, this time. A very mysterious set of circumstances surrounds a plane hijacking that was averted from danger by a young American girl who walked up to a hijacker and asked for his gun, which was instrumental in freeing all of the hostages. And then, she gives a very nondescript, taciturn interview at the airport in Damascus, gets into a car—the wrong car—is whisked away and is never heard from again.

Enter Mrs. Pollif
Valerie
Oct 08, 2012 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this a few months ago but am now just getting around to writing my review. Ah, the end of the series so it is bitter sweet. It actually ends pretty satisfyingly although the author didn't intend for it to be the end. She just died before she could write another one. I really do wish that Farrell could have found someone right for him.

What I liked most about this book was actually the author interview that happened at the end. This interview took place 8 years before Dorothy Gilm
Lorraine
Jun 23, 2009 Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read every book in the Mrs. Pollifax series and enjoyed them all. Credible? No. Not the point. The idea of a darling little senior citizen with her flowered hats capturing villains and saving the world is fun, especially if you're a senior like me! I'd love to be hanging out with handsome sheiks, fellow secret agents and other good-lookin' dudes! Can I? Would I? Of course not ... there's the fun of it.
Liz
May 24, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
This is the final Mrs. Pollifax mystery. The author, Dorothy Gilman, died of complications of Alzheimer’s disease twelve years after this volume’s publication in 2000. I’m assuming that Dorothy Gilman’s illness prevented her from bringing Mrs. P’s adventures to a conclusion. I very much enjoyed this last story, in which Mrs. Pollifax and John Sebastian Farrell travel to Syria in search of an American girl who thwarted a terrorist attack, then disappeared. Amanda Pym has been written off as dead ...more
Francisco
You read these books long enough and you began to believe that if you drove up to Langley, you would find Carstairs and Bishop talking with Mrs. Pollifax about another courier job that turns into something estraordinary.
This is the last book in the series. And its a fitting farewell to Mrs. Pollifax with one last adventure with Farrell.
Donna
This was a challenge read and I just thought it was okay. This is not my kind of mystery book. I appreciated the effort put into the research for when this was written. For me, that was the most interesting part.

It was the 'everything else', that just left me saying, "meh." The characters were so 1 dimensional. There was obvious back story on the main characters that was assumed. Since I haven't read any other books in this series, I didn't know what the back story was and to be honest, I really
Stephanie
Sep 12, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book in the Mrs. Pollifax series. I read and enjoyed all of them. They were not all as good as the first book, which was my favorite. I enjoyed the series very much. Although by reading them one after the other I noticed a pattern in the mysteries that had I read other books in between I may not have picked up on, I am not sure - but it didn't keep me from reading the next book in the series nor was I disappointed.
These are not the most cliff hanging, page turning, suspense fi
Barbara ★
This is a cozy mystery series featuring an older (think senior citizen) lady who believe it or not, works for the CIA. Here latest adventure takes place in Syria where she is asked to discover if a kidnapped American, Amanda Pym is in fact still alive and being held captive by terrorists. Of course, the story is slightly ridiculous (an elderly lady overcoming tried and true terrorists) but it's fun and quick to read. Don't get me wrong there is evident danger and Mrs. Pollifax and John Farrell g ...more
Debbie J
Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled, a cozy upending of the usual Mata Hari-ish femme fatale spy tale, unfortunately hasn’t stood well the test of time. Its storyline, based in the politically volatile Middle East, is dated enough to require utter suspension of disbelief for readers now facing post- 9/11 realities.

Writer Dorothy Gilman’s character development is poor, especially for the kidnap victim whose confessed motivation makes her resemble a looking glass world’s Patty Hearst. Perfunctory plotting also
 Olivermagnus
Feb 21, 2016 Olivermagnus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2015
Believing an American woman has been captured or killed in Syria, the CIA calls on Emily Pollifax and free-lance agent, John Sebastian Farrell to travel to Syria and investigate. Rumors suggest that Amanda Pym is still alive after having been kidnapped six weeks earlier. When Mrs. Pollifax and Farrell arrives in Damascus and checks into the hotel, Mrs. Pollifax finds a message that directs them to go to the Citadel. Things really heat up as Farrell gets taken into police custody. Traveling the f ...more
Argum
Mrs Pollifax is off to the Middle East with Farrell again. A hijacking has occurred and while negotiating on the tarmac in Damascus a young American girl walks up to the first of two terrorists and tells him to give her the gun. In the stunned silence, a military man overtakes the second terrorist and the first is shot in the crossfire. She is rather quiet and unassuming afterwards and then disappears in the wrong car. Rumors say she is still alive in the Syrian desert. Farrell and Pollifax are ...more
Kathleen
Mar 16, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I really enjoy these books the way I enjoy good candy. No, they aren't anything really substantial, but they are fun while they last and leave me wanting another one.
Georgia Carvalho
Sally
Sep 10, 2014 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
It's always a little sad for me to come to an end of a long series of books where I have enjoyed a core of recurring characters. This book was no exception, but I did feel it was a satisfactory tidying-up of Mrs. Pollifax's very unusual international adventures. The whole lot was really unrealistic, but somehow made believable by the author's presentation of the plots and characters. These stories are not to be taken as real history or precise geography lessons, yet it feels as if they are. Than ...more
Stephanie Curran
Oct 30, 2015 Stephanie Curran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It makes me so sad this is the last Mrs. Pollifax...how ironic that it is about Syria.
Gena Lott
May 19, 2015 Gena Lott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, favorites
Love Mrs. Pollifax no matter where she is or what kind of scrapes she gets herself into.
An Odd1
Jan 15, 2015 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
Different than rest of series, because more feelings than tour of foreign country. I'd like better with less politics, whether true or made up. Summarizes hardships and rewards of Emily's espionage career. This series I read over and over.

After saving passengers on a flight to the Middle East from hijackers, a young American steps off the plane in Damascus, and disappears. The CIA believe Amanda Pym was kidnapped, hear "reliable" "bazaar rumors" she is "still alive" p 17, and send Mrs Pollifax
Ryan
Apr 09, 2014 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/2014
I re-read the book and enjoyed it in the same ways as before - odd because often my reaction to books is different depending on my current perspective. Apparently, I was in the same mood as the last time I read this one.

11/2012
Mrs. Pollifax books often start with her sense of not feeling useful, of boredom with what retirement provides - and she is a pretty active person if you look at her list of activities. But I get the desire for something exciting and meaningful, though I doubt I woul
librarian4Him02
In this last book in the series Carstairs sends Mrs. Pollifax and Farrell to Syria in search of a girl who was kidnapped following her heroic act of stopping a hijacking situation. They are to find out if she is alive and, if so, bring her home. Farrell, Carstairs, Bishop, and Cyrus (all my favorites) were part of the story. I also enjoyed the action and suspense. This was a great end to the series. I'm having fun imagining what Mrs. Pollifax might be getting up to next.
Sherrill Watson
Dec 27, 2015 Sherrill Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cyrus is off somewhere birding, and Carstairs asks Mrs. Pollifax (the "Duchess") and Farrell to seek out Amanda Pym, an American, who has disappeared but is still alive. Maybe. They meet Joe Fleming, who speaks fluent Arabic, at a dig in the desert, find Amanda, who is being trained as a terrorist for the Muslim Brotherhood.

Some smattering of Arabic, many disguises, betrayal by persons they thought they knew, etc., etc.. A pleasant romp.
Marilyn
Jul 15, 2016 Marilyn added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mrs. Pollifax fans
I enjoyed the entire Mrs. Pollifax series and listened to the audiobooks narrated by Barbara Rosenblat. I knew the characters by the accent she used for each one, so was frustrated to to have a different narrater for this final book of the series. Sharon Williams did an okay job of narrating this final book, but I felt Barbara Rosenblac did a superior job reading all the previous books. I was also sad that the final book came to such an abrupt end to the series. An epilog to the series would hav ...more
Tamara
May 05, 2014 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was my book club's selection for the month of May. We have not yet met to discuss the book but here are my personal feelings about it. I have never read any of the other books from this series so I was happy to be introduced to a new author. The book is a quick read but I found it to be very easy to figure out and did not allow for any sense of wonder. I enjoyed the main characters in the book and their camaraderie but outside of that the book was just ok .
Susan Sample
Jan 16, 2016 Susan Sample rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Pollifax makes for a lovely tea-cozy heroine, as a spy rather than a detective. She's great...adventures, uncomplicated good and evil, charm. This one has the added bonus of having been written in 2000, and it makes a prescient argument about how the whole Middle East blows up if you try to get rid of Assad in Syria, no matter how much he might deserve it....
Nathalie S
Aug 08, 2014 Nathalie S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I had read all the Mrs. Pollifax mysteries but not so. It was nice to have a new story. I got hooked into the story right away, but then it seemed to meander with a lot of background story which got me a little lost---probably due to the fact I was listening to this story in my car. But we finally got back to the story and it did not disappoint!
Kelela Taufa
Oct 27, 2010 Kelela Taufa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
What a good and interesting book i read! My book was basicly just talks about how there was a plane crash and this girl comes out of the plane alive, and the guys in Syria kill everybody, but didn't kill her at all so they took her away, so now everybody back at home thinks she died when really she didn't, so the bishop in her church sends two family members on a case to find out what had really happened to her, and where she had disappeared too! At first when i looked at the cover i thought i w ...more
Sara
May 31, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audios-owned
Very satisfying conclusion to the series. Quite ironic, too, given that Gilman published it in 2000, that it takes place in Syria and all the seeds of the ongoing current conflict are already there.
Diane
Nov 03, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last of the Polifax books! As usual, the loveable senior citizen, Mrs. Emily Polifax, is able to use her common sense and complete her task for the CIA. While on her escapades, she treats us to a detailed description of Syria so that you feel you are there yourself. Always enjoyable.
Shawn
Jul 13, 2016 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so sad to see this story end. I have enjoyed the entire series and this was no different. It was a great end to the series, after all, I still want more.
Janice
Jun 01, 2015 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Pollifax goes undercover with an old friend in Syria, to try and locate a kidnapped American girl. Interesting look into life in the middle east as they work their way across the country trying to find and hopefully save this girl. This book is the last in the series.
Darla
Aug 28, 2008 Darla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Genre: Fiction/Adventure-suspense) I really wish that we could give 1/2 stars because this one would be 3 1/2. It was quite an enjoyable read. Mrs. Pollifax is a senior citizen CIA agent that is sent to Syria to search for a missing American who is rumored to being held in the desert. She poses as the aunt of said American. Plot is fairly simple and straight forward. I kept expecting big mystery/twists to the plot that never happened. That is what stops it from being a 4-star book for me. But I ...more
  • Lord of the Silent (Amelia Peabody, #13)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • Mrs. Malory and Death By Water
  • Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #11)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)
61934
Dorothy Gilman started writing when she was 9. At 11, she competed against 10 to 16-year-olds in a story contest and won first place. Dorothy worked as an art teacher and telephone operator before becoming an author. She wrote children’s stories for more than ten years under the name Dorothy Gilman Butters and then began writing adult novels about Mrs. Pollifax–a retired grandmother who becomes a ...more
More about Dorothy Gilman...

Mrs Pollifax (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax  (Mrs. Pollifax #1)
  • The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #2)
  • The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs Pollifax #3)
  • A Palm for Mrs Pollifax (Mrs Pollifax, #4)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax, #5)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station (Mrs. Pollifax, #6)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha (Mrs Pollifax #7)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Golden Triangle (Mrs Pollifax #8)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Whirling Dervish (Mrs. Pollifax, # 9)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief (Mrs. Pollifax, #10)