Start by marking “Blutadler” as Want to Read:

Blutadler (Jan Fabel #1)

Jan Fabel steht vor einem Rätsel. Der Hauptkommissar der Hamburger Kripo hat es mit einem Täter zu tun, der nach einem altnordischen Ritual tötet. „Blutadler“ nennt sich diese rituelle Art des Tötens, bei der dem Opfer bei vollem Bewusstsein der Rumpf geöffnet wird und die Lungenflügel herausgerissen werden. Alles deutet darauf hin, dass es sich um ein und denselben Täter ...more
Published by Bastei Lübbe (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Blutadler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blutadler

Aug 01, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've actually had the pleasure of writing the German TV adaptation for this novel. Did I like the novel - you bet! I like dark and twisted, I like grisly - and Craig's delivered on that and ever so much more. He's created, with Hauptkommissar Jan Fabel of the Hamburg police, a truly iconic cop. A man in the middle of life, a good man, for once not a torn, broken or morally corrupt cop - he's a good man, all around, thoughtful, smart (of course), always tries to think of everyone. The novelist lo ...more
Jul 22, 2011 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Blood Eagle” is the first book in Craig Russell’s series featuring Principal Chief Commisar Jan Fabel of the KriPo in Hamburg. This book is really more a thriller than a mystery, in some ways closely mimicking the sensational thrillers that are usually set in America. A serial killer is on the loose…a killer who leaves behind victims who have been murdered in what seems to be a brutal and ritualistic manner. Add to this the politics of Germany, the Ukraine, and Turkey and you’re left guessing ...more
Thomas Edmund
Apr 13, 2013 Thomas Edmund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With Blood Eagle, Russell pens a classic police thriller complete with gruesome murders, organised crime, police corruption and a driven yet flawed detective. The only thing missing is by modern standards the pacing is a little slow.

Nonetheless Blood Eagle is a compelling piece on par with Thomas Harris, and James Patterson's earlier novels. Probably not for late night reading if you want safe dreams.
Nov 09, 2015 Jav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite good actually. Especially having lived there for a while.
Jul 06, 2015 Espen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Nowhere near as smooth and professional as Eternal, this bears many hallmarks of being a debut novel. However, it still flows well (especially towards the end) and is overall a good read.

I found myself missing the more scientific appeal from Eternal (which is #3 in the series Blood Eagle is #1), but, overall, the thematic similarities are so extreme that I'm kind of wondering how similar the books in this series are going to be! Eternal is quite close to being "Blood Eagle Draft 2", without goi
Aug 11, 2015 Cliff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've moved from Italy to Germany. To Hamburg which has more canals than Venice! And policemen with long German compound noun ranks. Here it is Erste Kriminalhauptkommissar Jan Fabel of mixed German/Scots descent. A decent cop caught in the midst of offences by criminals from half of Europe (or at least that's what it seems like). I don't know if Hamburg in particular and Germany in general has a problem with Turkish and Ukrainian mafias fighting turf wars. If there are I hope they are not as blo ...more
Thomas Strömquist
"Thriller with the only difference to all others is that it is set in Germany. Uneccessarily gory and unbelievable, not recommended. "
Kay Robinson
Feb 18, 2014 Kay Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A serial killer is stalking the streets of Hamburg leaving grisly scenes behind. The police must work out whether the motive is some form of cult, with ritualistic sacrifices, a political threat from some neo-nazi group or even, as some evidence suggests, someone within the police and/or security sectors. The detective in charge has a major problem rooting out the truth. Apart from getting my head around the use of German names for the police departments and the ranks of the officers this is a c ...more
Nov 11, 2012 Hermien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great police investigation of a serial killer set in Hamburg.
Cyn Morales
Feb 18, 2015 Cyn Morales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Con una descripción bellísima de Hamburgo (se nota el apego del escritor con la ciudad) ed una historia que nos plantea muy bien al detective Fabel que no acepta medias tintas y busca llegar al fondo de una serie de asesinatos llenos de simbolismos; de esos personajes entrañables.
La lectura puede volverse pesada por la variedad de siglas e instituciones policiacas que se mencionan. Rumbo al final todo sucede vertiginosamente y si estaban esperando una conclusión, habrá que continuar la sa
Con la desafortunada traducción del título original "Blood Eagle" a "Muerte en Hamburgo", este libro, es el primero de una serie protagonizada por Jan Fabel, detective de homicidios de la policía de Hamburgo. La trama del libro versa sobre una serie de sangrientos asesinatos que se han realizado imitando a un milenario rito nórdico conocido como el águila de sangre -una ofrenda al dios Odín- cometidos por un asesino que se denomina a si mismo como el "Hijo de Sven".
La identidad de las mujeres as
What an amazing debut novel! I simply love the way that Russell writes! With his lush use of vocabulary and his turn of phrase he reminds me a bit of my very favorite author, John Connolly. It is so refreshing to see so much attention to detail to not only a murder plot, but also to the actual writing style in genre fiction. The plot, intricately laid out, untwists with enough clues to keep readers guessing, but also includes some very genuine surprises. And with that shocker of an ending, I am ...more
Asaf Bartov
May 24, 2015 Asaf Bartov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first crime thriller I've read in... I'm not certain, but over a decade, for sure, and probably two.

It is set in Hamburg, where I bought and started reading it, and it is exquisite. Russell has a masterful pace, knows Hamburg very, very well, and uses it to great effect, and the character of Jan Fabel is multi-faceted and appealing. I repeatedly had the feeling of "okay, now I know where this is going", only to be pleasantly surprised when that was not it at all.

The murders themsel
As the title suggests the crimes investigated in this novel are a bit on the graphic side. Despite that this was a relaxing read; a story well told. A case with historical inspiration made for a suitable introduction to Jan Fabel, an experienced detective who studied history at university. Recommended to anyone with a combined interest in modern crime fiction and the Vikings.
Oct 25, 2015 Fiona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find myself uncertain of my opinion of this book. While reading it, I was convinced that I was not entirely entertained, and found it easy to put down. that it's finished, a month or so after the fact, I found myself looking for the second book in the series.

I think part of this comes down to the obvious unfamiliarity with the setting and German terms used in the novel. While reading, they pulled me out of what was an otherwise engaging and original crime mystery.

Having now rea
Blanka Lednická
Škoda, že jsem Russella objevila až druhým dílem Jana Fabela - znala jsem tak konec první knížky. Ale velmi ráda jsem si ji přečetla i tak, Russell píše moc pěkně. Jen mě překvapilo zhuštění děje ke konci knížky - bylo to všechno najednou strašně uspěchané, z mého pohledu až zbytečně moc.
Mandy Bookaholica
Dec 08, 2012 Mandy Bookaholica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Blutig, spannend, lehrreich! Craig Russell überrascht mit seinem ersten Roman der Jan-Fabel-Reihe mit vielen Elementen. Besonders Freunde der Geschichte, Politik und Mythologie kann man diesen Thriller wärmstens empfehlen.
Die Charaktere sind gut gewählt; zusammen bilden sie alle ein eingespieltes Team, das sympathisiert. Den Schreibstil kann ich nicht kritisieren.
Die Story ist durchweg spannend und gut aufgebaut. An einigen Stellen wirken die Kapitel vollgestopft mit wissenswerten Informationen
Lauren Ferguson
I have really high hopes for this series! Although it's sometimes a little heavy in backstory and explanation, and Jan Fabel is apparently interested in and has a hobby of everything that contributes to the story, it lends a great foundation for a really in depth story with lots of twists and turns. Super keen for the next instalment.
เพราะแมแตตัวอิชันเอง ทีเพือนๆ ชอบกลาวหาวาซาดิสต

แตแอบสารภาพโดยสวนตัวเลยนะคะวา ...
อิชันอานหนังสือเลมนีแบบ งงๆ คะ
อาจจะดวยความซับซอนของเรือง หรือชือตัวละครทีอานแลวจำยาก
Jun 20, 2014 Labijose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Very good thriller and a beautifull description of Hamburg. It kept me reading non-stop. It's the first of inspector Fabel series, and for me it won't be the last. I also liked "Lennox", the first of the other series. I think Mr Russell is a Very good writter.
May 13, 2014 Ila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The modern day Germany setting and the insight into the psyche and realities of the post WWII, post Wall multiculturism and its tensions made this a different reading experience. Jan Fabel has the makings of a character I could be invested in.
Jan 28, 2015 Eva rated it really liked it
Shelves: gave-aways
The book began quite slowly (although with a heavy murder scene)and introducing so many different strings and sub-plots that I didn't have much hope for it, yet Russell brings together all those strings very, very well and the book turned out much to its favor after 100 pages or so.

I enjoyed the fact that a Scottish author is such an expert on German history and the city of Hamburg.
I hear there is a TV movie adaptation, I can't yet imagine how the book was "tamed" for it, since it is not for th
Melanie-ann Diesel
Quite well written and not what I thought it was going to be. Not one of my favourites but readable.
Tolga Becan
Oct 06, 2014 Tolga Becan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heyecanını tek satır yitirmeyen bir polisiye.
εlﻨբ ツ
Kitabı bitirmem uzun sürdü ama bu tamamen kitaptan kaynaklanan bir durum değil :) Başta Almanca kelimelere taktım. Bir türlü akışı yakalayamadım.Sonra kısmen alıştım bu duruma. Konu olarak kanlı cinayetler işleyen bir katil Komiser Jan Fabel'i seçer ve ona işlediği cinayetlerle ilgili e-mail gönderir. İş bununla bitmiyor tabi. Olaya Kanlı Kartal ayinleri, Ukrayna ve Türk mafyaları hatta özel polis birimleri bile karışmış vaziyette. O yüzden biraz karıştırdı kafamı :P Bayıldım diyemem ama seriye ...more
Dec 29, 2014 Sebastian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bloedstollend goed boek. Ik kon het niet neerleggen.
Jan 03, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it
It was 'Blood Eagle' an English hardback I read but this is the only cover that matches. And, having already made my mind up not to read Craig Russell's Hamburg/Jan Fabel series (preferring Scottish/Irish and already having enough of those to read) I picked it up in a library sale.
So. Writing good, which I expected, characters and place well-drawn and plot tight and tension taut. Very gory. But oh those titles and initials!

But I shall not hesitate to read Brothers Grimm, which is also on my shel
Feb 08, 2014 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fascinating and enjoyable thriller.
Jul 07, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es una novela entretenida, en la que lo que más me ha gustado es la detallada ambientación en Hamburgo. Por lo demás, a nivel de trama me ha parecido algo floja y sus personajes, salvo Fabel, algo clichés. Fabel, el protagonista, podría ser interesante, aunque habría deseado que el libro profundizara algo más en su personalidad. En resumen, correcto, como cualquier película de asesino en serie e investigación al uso. No me desagrada, pero no me ha impulsado a querer continuar con la saga.
Dec 06, 2014 Ingrid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goed geschreven en spannend!
  • Web of Deceit
  • La décima sinfonía
  • Equinox
  • The 50/50 Killer
  • Hexenkind
  • The Coil (Liz Sansborough, #2)
  • The Secret Friend (Darby McCormick #2)
  • Das Wesen
  • The Survivor (Jacob Striker, #1)
  • Jacob
  • Red Wolf (Annika Bengtzon, #5)
  • Die Rosenzüchterin
  • Erntedank (Kommissar Kluftinger, #2)
  • Time Of Death (Ren Bryce, #2)
  • The Gemini Factor
  • Sleep Like The Dead
  • Der Federmann
  • Die Therapie

Craig Russell was born in 1956, in Fife, Scotland. He served as a police officer and worked in the advertising company as a copywriter and creative director. Russell had a long standing interest in the German language and in post war German history and society. He has been
More about Craig Russell...

Jan Fabel (7 books)
  • Brother Grimm (Jan Fabel, #2)
  • Eternal (Jan Fabel, #3)
  • The Carnival Master (Jan Fabel, #4)
  • The Valkyrie Song (Jan Fabel, #5)
  • A Fear Of Dark Water (Jan Fabel, #6)
  • The Ghosts of Altona (Jan Fabel, #7)