Start by marking “Army Of Children” as Want to Read:
Army Of Children

Army Of Children

From the back cover: "In 1212 A.D. nearly 50,000 boys and girls rebelled against parents and Church to join a Crusade to the Hold Land...to win by love what their fathers had failed to take by force. But before they even reached Rome--and the Pope's betrayal--nearly all of them had fallen to hardship. Those who went on would pay for their innocent courage in Saracen brothe ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Army Of Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Army Of Children

Sonia
I have a vague sense that this paperback has been collecting dust on my bookshelf for at least 7-8 years and I've never had the overwhelming urge to pick it up and read it. Thankfully, it was the perfect fit for a reading challenge task and I've finally finished it.

The writing was adequate and straight-forward and the story was interesting. While it's not for everyone, I do enjoy historical fiction. This novel was particularly arresting because of the subject matter, the children's crusade to Je
Mauro Solis
Sep 02, 2016 Mauro Solis rated it it was amazing
Leí este libro cuando tenia unos 8 o 9 años; nuevamente lo lei en la adolescencia, y ya en la adultez, y hoy en día me gustaría leerlo nuevamente.
Fue un libro que me marco en muchos aspectos, desde el punto de vista de la amistad entre personas con creencias distintas (los dos protagonistas tienen diferentes religiones), el amor y los sacrificios por el, las bajezas del ser humano cuando se aprovecha e los mas débiles... y sobre todo la fe, inagotable, irrompible, que mueve montañas o en este ca
Tiara McClure
May 15, 2014 Tiara McClure rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of my favorite books of all time. The subject matter is a little hard to swallow at times with the inclusion of the raping of at least one minor. However I found myself pulled into the story and unable to put the book down until I had turned the last page. Its portrayal of the Children's Crusade demonstrated the naivety and hopefulness of youth being exploited by the selfish concerns of those with more life experience. Making it a fitting theme for this book.
Grazyna Nawrocka
Nov 06, 2012 Grazyna Nawrocka rated it it was amazing
The tale grabbed my attention and kept me hooked on reading. I decided to explore the subject being puzzled by the concept of children's crusade. The adult characters of Christian Saracen Frizzio, and his eunuch Baalbek, Harolde who was a monk and Flammonde who was his love, came to life on the pages of the book. It's a tragic story about confrontation between ideals and reality, and children who like Laurell, Jonathan, Richard and others were at the hart of what's best in human life.
Cheryl
May 24, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book although it is a while since I read it! But it has stuck with me, the story was engaging and I became genuinely interested in the fate of the main characters. The book seemed to be historically accurate without making me feel like I was reading a history lesson.... a nice feeling!
Truehobbit
Jan 25, 2011 Truehobbit rated it really liked it
A very pleasant mix of historical novel and romance/exciting story. In other words, the fictional bits were engaging enough to not feel like messing with history (as is the most common effect historical novels have on me).
Megan
Good story, wide-ranging and tolerant
Herman Labuschagne
Herman Labuschagne rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
N
N rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2016
Strawberryjoy
Strawberryjoy rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2008
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2008
Alynia Hermaine Rule
Alynia Hermaine Rule rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2008
Ian Banks
Ian Banks rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Judith
Judith rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2011
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
Kevin Hartigan
Kevin Hartigan rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Renee Edd
Renee Edd rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2014
GlobeRunner
GlobeRunner rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2012
Mark Smith
Mark Smith rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2010
Esseme
Esseme rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Wanda Gonzalez
Wanda Gonzalez rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Shara
Shara rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Bitten Nicander
Bitten Nicander rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Bill Gatlin
Bill Gatlin rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2013
Denvrjules
Denvrjules rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Velvetink
Velvetink rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2010