Start by marking “Knitting Lessons: Tales from the Knitting Path” as Want to Read:
Knitting Lessons: Tales from the Knitting Path

Knitting Lessons: Tales from the Knitting Path

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A women's memoir about the sense of community created through knitting. Possible two-color interiors and illustrations of stitches throughout.
Hardcover
Published April 14th 2003 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about Knitting Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting Lessons

Mollie *scoutrmom*
It is pure coincidence that I picked up this book from my huge to-read box on September 11, but it is apropos. This is part memoir, and part interviews. It was published shortly after the 2001 attacks, and though it does not deal directly with the subject, the inteviewees, especially those in New York, cannot avoid the subject.

The theme of this book seems to be "why I wanted to learn to knit and who taught me". It is an exploration of just what it is about knitting that draws devotees. I like th
Marilyn
All this is is dozens of knitters describing their craft, but oh, how it fed my soul in ways I didn't even know I needed.
I've been reading this book in bits and snatches for awhile. I mostly like it, but then sometimes she goes all introspective hippie on me and I have to take a break. The book is a selection of letters and interviews about knitting. As the author (or shall we call her a compiler?) travels around meeting knitters, she is also learning to knit. What I liked best about the book was the sense of knitting as a craft without generational, cultural or gender boundaries, that people who knit often knit f ...more
Leslie
I've read several books describing what knitters think and feel about knitting, but this one drew me in more than others. The conversation about the creative process as a journey, how knitting can give you insight into your personality, as well as calm, simple enjoyment, was a pleasure to read. The chapters cover all types of personalities and knitters. You're sure to find yourself among them.
Erica
The author travels the country, pulling at a yarn string as it were, uncovering personal stories, to find out why so many need their knitting fix. Suprisingly philosphical - knitting as meditation, as a symbol of the fates, as a metaphor for the patterns of living things, as a glue for communities. As well as occasionally frustrating. A very cozy and neatly structured book though I would have liked to hear perspectives from people other than those on the coasts of the US.
Violet
Jun 04, 2011 Violet rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters
This book was a nice dose of much needed inspiration. It was written in the early 2000s, and it was nice to take a little trip back to when knitting was much newer and exciting for me. It features lots of well written profiles of creative people, and got me excited about my knitting again!
Alesha Hubbell
This told the stories of many knitters, how they kearned to knit and what kniiting meant to them. It was touching and inspiring. I made me realize that what I do is art even if I mostly follow the patterns written by others. I love what I do and do it well, and that is art.
Mary
I've read this book probably 10-15 times. It's comfort, easy reading about my most beloved topic. I pick it up at random times when I just feel drawn to it. It's really a good read, although somewhat dated since the explosion of knitting blogs and ravelry.
Donna
Weird to say the least. The interpolated sections where Nargi talks about her own knitting experiences are a record of pure frustration, eyes bigger than needles, too much ambition and far too little patience.
Derbajo
Lately I find myself wanting to learn how to knit. I grabbed this book at the library today, I thought it was an instruction one. It's not, but, I've been reading it tonight and I like it.
Georgiana
I'm sure that the people interviewed for this book are actually interesting, but I couldn't tell fromt he way the author wrote about them.
Helena
After a while I just couldn't stay interested in any more interviews with knitters. But what I did read was fine.
Claire Boynton
More tales of other knitters across the world. Engaging and perfect to knit along to.
Karla
Short stories about knitters and why they knit. Interesting and enjoyable.
Sunnie_fairy
nice book- I enjoyed reading it immensely
Loren
started out good, by end --- "get me out of here"
Kate
For knitters only.
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Catherine
Catherine is currently reading it
Oct 25, 2014
elise
elise marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Ahalya
Ahalya added it
Oct 04, 2014
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Meg
Meg added it
Aug 09, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Carol
Carol added it
Jul 24, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Stephanie Western
Stephanie Western marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Knitting Through It: Inspiring Stories for Times of Trouble is an anthology of the hope found in handiwork."
More about Lela Nargi...
The Honeybee Man Knitting Around the World: A Multistranded History of a Time-Honored Tradition Knitting Through It: Inspiring Stories for Times of Trouble Knitting Memories: Reflections on the Knitter's Life The Farmer's Wife Canning and Preserving Cookbook: Over 250 Blue-Ribbon recipes!