Start by marking “Knitting Lessons: Tales from the Knitting Path” as Want to Read:
Knitting Lessons: Tales from the Knitting Path

Knitting Lessons: Tales from the Knitting Path

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A women's memoir about the sense of community created through knitting. Possible two-color interiors and illustrations of stitches throughout.
Hardcover
Published April 14th 2003 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about Knitting Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting Lessons

Mollie *scoutrmom*
Sep 14, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all crafters
It is pure coincidence that I picked up this book from my huge to-read box on September 11, but it is apropos. This is part memoir, and part interviews. It was published shortly after the 2001 attacks, and though it does not deal directly with the subject, the inteviewees, especially those in New York, cannot avoid the subject.

The theme of this book seems to be "why I wanted to learn to knit and who taught me". It is an exploration of just what it is about knitting that draws devotees. I like th
Desiree'
The author interviewed many people who were starting out to change the environment on knitting. Especially in New York. Knitting exploded on the public scene after 11 Sep 2001; New Yorkers expanded knitting into the social network we know today as "knitting in public." The interviews are set up from the perspective how the face of knitting began to change and what knitting means to them and how they were inspired to knit. We are able to get to know those who weren't big on the knitting scene and ...more
Marilyn
Jul 13, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, 2014
All this is is dozens of knitters describing their craft, but oh, how it fed my soul in ways I didn't even know I needed.
Sep 08, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been reading this book in bits and snatches for awhile. I mostly like it, but then sometimes she goes all introspective hippie on me and I have to take a break. The book is a selection of letters and interviews about knitting. As the author (or shall we call her a compiler?) travels around meeting knitters, she is also learning to knit. What I liked best about the book was the sense of knitting as a craft without generational, cultural or gender boundaries, that people who knit often knit f ...more
Hope
Dec 27, 2014 Hope rated it liked it
Charming.
Erica
Jan 16, 2008 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author travels the country, pulling at a yarn string as it were, uncovering personal stories, to find out why so many need their knitting fix. Suprisingly philosphical - knitting as meditation, as a symbol of the fates, as a metaphor for the patterns of living things, as a glue for communities. As well as occasionally frustrating. A very cozy and neatly structured book though I would have liked to hear perspectives from people other than those on the coasts of the US.
Leslie
Dec 29, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
I've read several books describing what knitters think and feel about knitting, but this one drew me in more than others. The conversation about the creative process as a journey, how knitting can give you insight into your personality, as well as calm, simple enjoyment, was a pleasure to read. The chapters cover all types of personalities and knitters. You're sure to find yourself among them.
Violet
Jun 04, 2011 Violet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters
This book was a nice dose of much needed inspiration. It was written in the early 2000s, and it was nice to take a little trip back to when knitting was much newer and exciting for me. It features lots of well written profiles of creative people, and got me excited about my knitting again!
Alesha Hubbell
Jun 22, 2012 Alesha Hubbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
This told the stories of many knitters, how they kearned to knit and what kniiting meant to them. It was touching and inspiring. I made me realize that what I do is art even if I mostly follow the patterns written by others. I love what I do and do it well, and that is art.
Mary
Aug 25, 2011 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book probably 10-15 times. It's comfort, easy reading about my most beloved topic. I pick it up at random times when I just feel drawn to it. It's really a good read, although somewhat dated since the explosion of knitting blogs and ravelry.
Donna
Jul 05, 2010 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Weird to say the least. The interpolated sections where Nargi talks about her own knitting experiences are a record of pure frustration, eyes bigger than needles, too much ambition and far too little patience.
Derbajo
Lately I find myself wanting to learn how to knit. I grabbed this book at the library today, I thought it was an instruction one. It's not, but, I've been reading it tonight and I like it.
Georgiana
Feb 05, 2013 Georgiana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting, gave-up
I'm sure that the people interviewed for this book are actually interesting, but I couldn't tell fromt he way the author wrote about them.
Helena
After a while I just couldn't stay interested in any more interviews with knitters. But what I did read was fine.
Claire Boynton
Jan 23, 2011 Claire Boynton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, knitting
More tales of other knitters across the world. Engaging and perfect to knit along to.
Karla
Apr 15, 2010 Karla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories about knitters and why they knit. Interesting and enjoyable.
Sunnie_fairy
Sep 03, 2008 Sunnie_fairy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nice book- I enjoyed reading it immensely
Loren
Aug 17, 2007 Loren rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
started out good, by end --- "get me out of here"
Francesca
Francesca marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Laura Settlage
Laura Settlage marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2016
Debbie
Debbie added it
Mar 19, 2016
Cindy Kosciak
Cindy Kosciak rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Kellie
Kellie added it
Feb 10, 2016
Nettie
Nettie marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Glennese Patterson
Glennese Patterson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Big Book of Knitting
  • Knitting America: A Glorious Heritage from Warm Socks to High Art
  • KnitKnit: Profiles + Projects from Knitting's New Wave
  • The Knitting Experience: Book 2: The Purl Stitch
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns
  • Knitting for Baby: 30 Heirloom Projects with Complete How-to-Knit Instructions
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting
  • Zen and the Art of Knitting: Exploring the Links Between Knitting, Spirituality, and Creativity
  • Sweater Quest: My Year of Knitting Dangerously
  • Knitting Circles Around Socks: Knit Two at a Time on Circular Needles
  • Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns
  • The Art of Fair Isle Knitting
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book
  • Knitting from the Top
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Knitter's handbook
  • Mary Thomas's Knitting Book
I’m a writer of books for adults and children living in a leafy corner of Brooklyn, NY with my daughter, my husband and my dog.
More about Lela Nargi...