Blank-133x176
Cracking The Gre Liter...

Princeton Review

Cracking The Gre Literature, 1997 Ed (Annual)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The GRE subject tests are among the most difficult standardized exams. Rather than testing general problem-solving skills, they require highly specialized knowledge.

The experts at The Princeton Review have thoroughly research each subject test to provide students with the most thorough, up-to-date information available. Students don’t need to relearn the entire histories o...more
Paperback
Published July 2nd 1996 by Princeton Review

To ask other readers questions about Cracking The Gre Literature, 1997 Ed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cracking The Gre Literature, 1997 Ed

Rachel
Fine. And by "fine," I mean, this book is like this scene from Undeclared: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H3GM-...

Which is to say: the only way to prepare yourself to get punched in the face is to get punched in the face. Fear is the only obstacle. A fight is only, like, 20 punches in the face, which is what this test is going to be. 230 punches in the face.
Sus
A highly effective book that does pretty much what it promises: offer good ways to review for an approach the GRE in Lit. I used an earlier edition of this book when I first took this exam nine years ago; I found it as useful the second time around.

I haven't tried any of its competitors, so I can't offer comparisons. But I can recommend the Princeton Review guidebook unreservedly.

(One would do well to bear in mind -- this is the caveat -- that a Literature test is very hard to cram for, so givin...more
Katey
I suppose I shouldn't rate this until I see how I actually do on the test, but I feel like it has been helpful, and I liked the tone. It was actually fun to read, especially compared to other prep books.
Lauren
I like the style in which this book is written but am unimpressed with the amount of literary terms included in the text. That's about as far as I've gotten though. I would definitely recommend to anyone taking this exam that they supplement the lit. terms with, for example, an NCTE guide to lit. terms. Again, though, much of my review will be contingent upon how well the test (which I won't take until Nov.) goes, or rather the results I receive back in Jan. :) Well, took the test. I should have...more
Noah
A fairly good preparation, though the test was the hardest thing I ever took (even including the actual test). The book is set up in a few parts : explanation of the test, strategies, discussion of frequently referenced works, a test, and an explanation. It is this last bit that is the most important, as the book explains HOW to arrive at answers, EVEN IF you don't know all there is to know about certain authors and works. In the end, I'm not sure the book accurately represented the GRE subject...more
Kristen
I had the joy of reading this beauty cover to cover over the last few weeks. I thought it was super helpful, but the practice test they include is way easier than the one ETS supplies so that worries me. I do like that it generally insults ETS and mocks the test while it's telling me how to pass it. It makes me feel like it's us against ETS. Thrilling read, I know.
Beth
This review book was amazingly helpful. I especially liked the way it provided an explanation of correct/incorrect answers at the back of the test.

I also really like the tone of the authors...sort of a "hey, we know the test is severely deformed, but we're going to help you get the most point you can anyway" attitude.
Stephanie Bens
This was a very helpful study tool. I actually put it down for several months while doing other things and I found that I could pick it back up and remember easily what the book emphasized as far as reading material and study tips.
Ke Huang
The book provides a good foundation for a prospective test-taker.

I'm not sure how reliable the practice test is and was a bit annoyed with the horrible jokes, but I'm sure the writers meant well.
Emily
Extremely useful over view of the hard core old school literary canon.
Jessica
May 06, 2011 Jessica marked it as couldn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Decided not to take the test this year. This books seems great, though.
Kimberly Ann
i feel like i can't provide stars until i see how i do on the exam?
Aries Setiadi
A recommended book for GRE test-takers.
Windy
Aug 11, 2011 Windy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Blah, blah, blaaaaaah.
Cat
Cat is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Lawrence
Lawrence is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Hilary
Hilary is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2014
Sourangsu
Sourangsu marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
A. Ariel Vandebrooke
A. Ariel Vandebrooke marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Cracking the GRE, 2007 Edition (Graduate School Test Preparation) Word Smart: How to Build an Educated Vocabulary Cracking the SAT, 2012 Edition MCAT Biology Review Cracking the GMAT with DVD, 2008 Edition (Graduate School Test Preparation)