Start by marking “Starting Out In the Afternoon” as Want to Read:
Starting Out In the Afternoon

Starting Out In the Afternoon

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Jill Frayne’s long-term relationship was ending and her daughter was about to graduate and leave home. She decided to pack up her life and head for the Yukon.

Driving alone across the country from her home just north of Toronto, describing the land as it changes from Precambrian Shield to open prairie, Jill finds that solitude in the wilds is not what she expected. She is a
Published March 25th 2003 by Vintage Canada (first published March 12th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Starting Out In the Afternoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting Out In the Afternoon

Paula Dembeck
We all experience critical moments in our life that compel us to pick up a challenge and adapt to the new circumstances life presents. Jill Frayne was at such a point. Her daughter Bree was graduating from high school and her relationship with her long time partner Leon seemed to be fracturing. In a moment of high suggestibility while listening to a radio interview, she became excited by the idea of an extended outdoor camping trip to the Yukon. So she made plans, took a leave from work, tied up ...more
Jen Winter
Best landscape descriptive writing I think I have ever found. Jill is very open in relaying her feelings and emotions. The two blended together perfectly. I wish I had read this one while camping instead of during a snow storm because I got the itch to be outside!
Cathy Austin
Written well before Wild by Cheryl Strayed and reflecting a different trip/journey altogether. Frayne is middle aged on subsequent and frequent trips to Atlin in BC and to the Yukon. Strayed was a very young woman searching for herself. So is Frayne but in a different way and mindset. The wilderness of the BC interior is so breathtaking and peaceful and Frayne's imagery so makes you want to be there right now. Poetic at times, some dialogue but mostly she shows us what she sees and experiences a ...more
Nancy
Frayne has an eye for landscape and natural surroundings that draws you in and makes you walk the trail with her. Her physical trek leads her into a soul searching voyage where she finds acceptance for her own need for solitude and reflection.
Nan
A lovely, lovely book

I so enjoyed reading this book for its deft descriptions of the north and the author's musings about her life and relationships. There is something rich, unpretentious and open in this work, a curiosity and a spirit of letting things be as they are that feels human and healing.
Karin
It was an ok read. STory about how Jill takes a trip to the wild lands of Canada and that she keeps going back after it is over. I liked paddle to the Arctic better.

Still, as I am also starting, or about to start my 'mid- afternoon' years, she tells me that I don't have to settle for the same-old, same-old. I can dream and plan and go for it. Altho I don't have the cash she has, and i'm still raising a daughter. Not that either of those facts have ever stopped me before. We took our son Tom alo
Claireinwoodbridge
Loved it. It was like reading poetry. Frayne is an incredibly talented writing…her descriptions of the north bring the novel to life. She is very skilled, and I would love to read more of her work. Also, she reminds me of my solo camping experiences, and she really nails some of the experiences. Great topic and I really loved it!
Catherine
Apr 01, 2009 Catherine rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No One
Julie Michaud
Jill Frayne "conquers her fears and begins a new relationship with nature, exuberant at becoming a competent outdoorswoman." (VPL item description)

"Despite a late start I expect to spend the rest of my life dashing off the highway, pursuing this know-how, plumbing the outdoors side of life." From the Trade Paperback edition.
Pat
My 2nd time reading this...I like the idea of what she did. I'd love to go wilderness trekking but I still would like to go with another person...not alone. I do feel with her the sense of "freedom" she must have experienced on some of her lonely treks...perhaps one day:)
Nicole Fairbairn
This book was just ok. I was mesmerized by the book Wild which is a much better version of the 'finding yourself' through solo travel genre.
Stephanie
I need to start this again when I'm in a better frame of mind.
Pat Urban
Pat Urban marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Kjersten
Kjersten marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Mona
Mona marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Carolyn McBride
Carolyn McBride marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Dorothy Van
Dorothy Van marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014