Start by marking “Starting Out In the Afternoon” as Want to Read:
Starting Out In the Afternoon

Starting Out In the Afternoon

Jill Frayne’s long-term relationship was ending and her daughter was about to graduate and leave home. She decided to pack up her life and head for the Yukon.

Driving alone across the country from her home just north of Toronto, describing the land as it changes from Precambrian Shield to open prairie, Jill finds that solitude in the wilds is not what she expected. She is a
Published March 25th 2003 by Vintage Canada (first published March 12th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Starting Out In the Afternoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting Out In the Afternoon

Jen Winter
Nov 23, 2010 Jen Winter rated it really liked it
Best landscape descriptive writing I think I have ever found. Jill is very open in relaying her feelings and emotions. The two blended together perfectly. I wish I had read this one while camping instead of during a snow storm because I got the itch to be outside!
Cathy Austin
Feb 26, 2015 Cathy Austin rated it really liked it
Written well before Wild by Cheryl Strayed and reflecting a different trip/journey altogether. Frayne is middle aged on subsequent and frequent trips to Atlin in BC and to the Yukon. Strayed was a very young woman searching for herself. So is Frayne but in a different way and mindset. The wilderness of the BC interior is so breathtaking and peaceful and Frayne's imagery so makes you want to be there right now. Poetic at times, some dialogue but mostly she shows us what she sees and experiences a ...more
Nan
Mar 04, 2015 Nan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely, lovely book

I so enjoyed reading this book for its deft descriptions of the north and the author's musings about her life and relationships. There is something rich, unpretentious and open in this work, a curiosity and a spirit of letting things be as they are that feels human and healing.
Nancy
Oct 12, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
Frayne has an eye for landscape and natural surroundings that draws you in and makes you walk the trail with her. Her physical trek leads her into a soul searching voyage where she finds acceptance for her own need for solitude and reflection.
Jane Lack
May 16, 2017 Jane Lack rated it it was amazing
Made me think a lot about who I am and what I like to do and how brave I could be
Paula Dembeck
Mar 28, 2015 Paula Dembeck rated it liked it
We all experience critical moments in our life that compel us to pick up a challenge and adapt to the new circumstances life presents. Jill Frayne was at such a point. Her daughter Bree was graduating from high school and her relationship with her long time partner Leon seemed to be fracturing. In a moment of high suggestibility while listening to a radio interview, she became excited by the idea of an extended outdoor camping trip to the Yukon. So she made plans, took a leave from work, tied up ...more
Karin
It was an ok read. STory about how Jill takes a trip to the wild lands of Canada and that she keeps going back after it is over. I liked paddle to the Arctic better.

Still, as I am also starting, or about to start my 'mid- afternoon' years, she tells me that I don't have to settle for the same-old, same-old. I can dream and plan and go for it. Altho I don't have the cash she has, and i'm still raising a daughter. Not that either of those facts have ever stopped me before. We took our son Tom alo
Catherine
Apr 01, 2009 Catherine rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
Claireinwoodbridge
Nov 10, 2013 Claireinwoodbridge rated it it was amazing
Loved it. It was like reading poetry. Frayne is an incredibly talented writing…her descriptions of the north bring the novel to life. She is very skilled, and I would love to read more of her work. Also, she reminds me of my solo camping experiences, and she really nails some of the experiences. Great topic and I really loved it!
Julie Michaud
Jill Frayne "conquers her fears and begins a new relationship with nature, exuberant at becoming a competent outdoorswoman." (VPL item description)

"Despite a late start I expect to spend the rest of my life dashing off the highway, pursuing this know-how, plumbing the outdoors side of life." From the Trade Paperback edition.
Pat
Mar 11, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it
My 2nd time reading this...I like the idea of what she did. I'd love to go wilderness trekking but I still would like to go with another person...not alone. I do feel with her the sense of "freedom" she must have experienced on some of her lonely treks...perhaps one day:)
Stephanie
I need to start this again when I'm in a better frame of mind.
Nicole Fairbairn
Sep 02, 2013 Nicole Fairbairn rated it liked it
This book was just ok. I was mesmerized by the book Wild which is a much better version of the 'finding yourself' through solo travel genre.
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Evie
Evie rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2008
Louis
Louis rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2016
Jason Riehl
Jason Riehl rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Sarah Bradley
Sarah Bradley rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Jenina
Jenina rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Janet Moodie
Janet Moodie rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
kim
kim rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2009
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Brenda E-T
Brenda E-T rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Aidan
Aidan rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Rick Pozeg
Rick Pozeg rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Linda Lee
Linda Lee rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2012
Jennie
Jennie rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

“Landscape, which looks so constant, is on the move. The mountains dream on the horizon, but mountains are just passing through. I watch them, wearing, grinding, rising up out there, their motion still the main beat.” 0 likes