Start by marking “Human Oddities: Stories” as Want to Read:
Human Oddities: Stories

Human Oddities: Stories

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In Human Oddities, by newcomer Noria Jablonski, we meet Siamese twins, newly separated, drag queens, and seedy hospital orderlies. A corpse washed up on the beach, cancer diagnoses, and tummy tuck operations all intrude abruptly into characters’ lives; sadness is interrupted by hilarity. Jablonski’s characters cope with the drama of the body and what it means, what it feel ...more
Published August 30th 2005 by Counterpoint

To ask other readers questions about Human Oddities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Human Oddities

Summer
From reading reviews of this book, I assumed it would be dark and psychologically complex, like Katherine Dunn's Geek Love. Unfortunately, it's a rather unremarkable book of domestic fiction, with a few classic freak show performers tossed into the mix. Do we really need two completely unrelated stories about conjoined twins? Is the "freak" theme really necessary? Has Noria Jablonski never heard two human beings speak with one another?

Yvette Niles
Aug 12, 2007 Yvette Niles rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like short stories about odd people.
Shelves: favorites
This book got me hooked on short story books. Noria writes with a oceanic rhythm and understands the small details of being odd. The stories, aside from "Big Guy", could be read by even my mother and appreciated. I loved some stories more than others but all are well written and hold a magic coin. It is about conjoined twins, a drag queen, a little girl without legs, and love.
It is in no way like Geek Love- which I hated. By the way.
Rachel
Are drag queens really "human oddities?"
Gay people?
People with plastic surgery?

I was hoping for a book about actual human oddities.

I only give it 2/5 stars because some parts were beautifully written. But as far as content, I was pretty disappointed.

I guess her chosen subject matter just doesn't strike me as "odd"
Tamara
Aug 18, 2007 Tamara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dudes, Gals, my mom, and anyone who likes good stories
Excellent stories. Just weird enough to be interesting, and just interesting enough to never feel weird.
Jenna Evans
It's about the oddity of being human. These are a few of my favorite things: Tight and spare but still spacious sentences, deadpan humor that sometimes breaks into a vaudevillian flourish, unflinching observations, hauntingly acute moments of being alive. Unforgettable.
Criticalsass
I wish I had written this! It's so strange but at the same time really precious and thoughtful. All these bizarre characters are somehow made to seem strikingly normal: Siamese twins, brutal fags, three generations of bruised women. All of these queer vignettes are so fucking PRECIOUS. Jablonski illustrates how humanity and all of its flawed little eccentricities are so beautiful in their weirdness.
Carly Johnson
I could not continue reading this 'book'. Each short story is quite shallow - the plot, the characters, the descriptions. The book could have been really awesome focussing on 'human oddities' as the theme, but I have no idea what the author was writing about with any character in each story a majority of the time. Don't waste your time on this one.
Freaks. Siamese twins. The maimed. The deformed. The all-too-human struggles of society's cast outs. Amazing book. Clever. Well written. Other worldly. Parts of it took my breath away. All of it left me wanting to be a better writer.
Stephanie Spines
"This was pretty good. I liked the main theme of well, as the title says, ""Human Oddities"". Between conjoined twins and cross-dressers, her characters are lovable and easy to relate to despite their differences.

Decent!
Lynette
Noria is a relative and it was fun to read her short-story fiction, even though I haven't seen her for more than two decards.
Sae-chan
It was praised in such a way I kept my hopes too high. Tried a little too hard to be quirky.
Lisa
A few stories were great, some too odd they didn't make sense.
Ira
Ira marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Sierra Duncan
Sierra Duncan marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Ching-In
Ching-In marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Loretta
Loretta marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
NORIA JABLONSKI is the author of the story collection Human Oddities. Her stories have recently appeared in FiveChapters.com, Swink, Monkeybicycle, KGB Bar Lit, and the anthology Who Can Save Us Now?: Brand-New Superheroes and Their Amazing (Short) Stories.
More about Noria Jablonski...
Who Can Save Us Now?: Brand-New Superheroes and Their Amazing (Short) Stories