Start by marking “The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - and Other Stories: The Body Snatcher; Markheim; The Bottle Imp” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Strange Case of Dr...

Robert Louis Stevenson

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  13 reviews

Be the first to ask a question about The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - and Other Stories

Ane
The thing I love about books like this is the author's view on mortality, good vs. evil, things that make you think deeper than just the storyline going on. I wish I didn't know the story about it being one man because it certainly would've been the twist of the century, but it was still a good short story! :)
amber
the book was okay, but i did really like the story the bottle imp.
Colin McKay Miller
Robert Louis Stevenson’s “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” is an average morality tale vastly overshadowed by “The Bottle Imp.”

On a long enough timeline, popular stories can become better known for their metaphorical appeal rather than the stories themselves. Part of it is that these stories are too well known, removing the suspense from the unraveling of the tale, but like Dracula, “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” suffers more from poor narrative structure rather than
Amy Spencer
The theme of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is the struggle between the good and evil in one’s mind. Robert Louis Stevenson makes this especially easy to see because, in this story, the two are physically manifested in the different forms of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Dr. Jekyll is the original combination of good and evil, while Mr. Hyde is the evil part of this personality. By making Dr. Jekyll unable to create a completely “good” personality, Stevenson is showing his purpose in wr ...more
Evelyn
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: it was less scary than I'd imagined it to be. Kind of boring, actually.

The Body-Snatcher: what I call a broken-frame story: it looks like a frame story but the setup never makes a reappearance at the end.

Markheim: this was my favorite one. I particularly liked the ending line. (view spoiler)

The Bottle Imp: interesting enough, but the ending screamed copout to me. Kokua was p
First of all, I never realized that Robert Louis Stevenson wrote Jekyll. Don't know why.
Anyways, I was looking for Treasure Island for research & happened upon Jekyll. I realized it's one of those stories that I feel I know without having read it. In fact, I bet the majority of people could tell you the story, but never lay eyes on the script.
So, I decided I should educate myself with some classic literature.
First: I was surprised to see how short the story is, only about 100 pages.
Second:
Jwm
I couldn't find the exact edition on here or Amazon. But this is very much one of those required genre reads. Solid all around, and the ancillary stories (like the new arabian nights) are full of delightful quotes I've actually written down to remember forever.
Cheryl
I LOVED the story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I'm surprised I had never read it before. But I didn't really care for the rest of the stories in the book. I only read a few and they didn't really keep my attention.
Christina
Actually considered a short-story it was good but different from what I had expected. The other short stories were a nice insight to the author's overall style.
Jill
I read the book in preparation for a play at the Aurora Theatre. I actually liked the play better because a love interest was added for Mr. Hyde.
Andrew
i love this book just for the fact that it has very proper english, something about that i think is awsome!
Cheryl
Oct 30, 2009 Cheryl added it
I am still amazed at what a fantastic writer Stevenson was.
Mike
Good book, liked the short stories
Avashni Dass
Avashni Dass marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Priti Samtani
Priti Samtani marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Sherilyn
Sherilyn marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Sandeep Soodan
Sandeep Soodan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Martina
Martina marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Dan Brownsberger
Dan Brownsberger marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is o
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...
Treasure Island The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1) A Child's Garden of Verses