Start by marking “Anaïs: The Erotic Life of Anaïs Nin” as Want to Read:
Anaïs: The Erotic Life of Anaïs Nin

Anaïs: The Erotic Life of Anaïs Nin

Anais Nin (1903-1977) was the ultimate femme fatale, world-famous for her sexual exploits, most notably her simultaneous affairs with Henry and June Miller and her bigamous marriages. In the 1920s she fell in love with the creative circles of the Parisian Left Bank. She lived her long life as a liberated woman - author of 11 books of fiction and erotica, uninhibited lover ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 525 pages
Published September 1993 by Little Brown & Co.

To ask other readers questions about Anaïs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anaïs

Jaye
Feb 06, 2008 Jaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fellow Pisces
A doorstop of a book from the library but better than trying to read 7 volumes of diaries. Although now from this psychological but not over-analytic biography, I know that the diaries were so heavily doctored, I would be reading yet another piece of fiction and not really learn about who Anais Nin was. What a fascinating person. The list of her acquaintances let alone sexual partners is truly amazing, how one person could intersect with so many characters. The style of the book is enjoyable. Fi ...more
Payal
Dec 31, 2012 Payal rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Romance book readers, erotic book lovers
Well this is one of the most erotic novel I have ever read. And also the author has the most weirdly twisted chilhood. I dont know exactly which book I read coz on the book it was written "wanderings".
The book was about her childhood. Most weird childhood I would say..........................and also most erotic. It was written in such a simple language. Sure, SEX seems such a delightful activity in this book. Anna took so much pleasure and relish in the activity. But its all wrong. There is n
Jeremy
Oct 21, 2013 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anais Nin is a fascinating woman, and this book is a solid survey of her life. And what a life Fitch tells us about. Nin, born in the early years of the 20th century, recorded almost all of her experiences and thoughts from the age of 11 in 35,000 pages of diaries until she passed in 1977. In those pages she traced love affairs, literary failures and achievements, her incestuous affair with her own father when she was an adult, her experiences as both a therapist and a patient when Freudian anal ...more
Lori Perkins
Nov 15, 2009 Lori Perkins is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Was talking to a friend about Nin's diaries, which I read in their entirety when I was in my 20's, and influenced me profoundly. I started keeping a journal when I was 17 and still do, but since Nin's dairies had been so heavily edited, I kept all the sex an drugs out of mine too (most of the rock'n'roll as well, because it had so much sex and drugs in it). Then, when the unexpurgated diaries came out, we were all floored, so I'm reading an overview of the truth. I plan on re-reading the unedite ...more
Roman Clodia
Jun 25, 2016 Roman Clodia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First things first: this is a biography written in the present tense. I struggle sometimes with this affectation in fiction, but it feels particularly inappropriate in a biography of a subject whose life in her own writings was constructed, edited and reconstructed with hindsight and a view towards an audience.

Riley Fitch admits and foregrounds the extent to which Anais Nin was almost a character in her own life, but is so in love with her own subject that I finished this book and wanted to read
Drew Hoffman
Aug 16, 2013 Drew Hoffman rated it liked it
One wishes the author would've toned down the judgmental tone concerning Nin's wildly unconventional personal life. Still, the conflicted sexuality of Anais Nin makes for a fairly interesting read.
Ishki
Apr 30, 2009 Ishki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always had this curiosity about what made Anais Nin tick. I'm still not sure if I know what her tick. Did anyone know, even Anais herself, know what made her tick? Did anyone know Anais? Which Anais? I'm still confused, however, the book did shed much light on her life, especially her early which interested me. Well written, well researched, well documented.
Shan Watts
Apr 05, 2013 Shan Watts rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm finding this really hard going. For a woman who was fascinating, the author certainly makes it an incredibly dry story. I'd like to just put it down and not bother picking it back up, as I'm over halfway through, but part of me still holds out hope that it will get better - the dreamer I me, I think!
Amy
Feb 11, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i've read anais nin's work since i was younger and it is interesting how she weaved a certain web throughout her storytelling and lovers so much so that you never really knew what was fact vs. fiction. this book tries to demystify her and i think succeeds pretty well.
Sandy
Jun 04, 2007 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: femmes, bios
It took me a long long time to finish this book. Fitch's account of Nin's life isn't nearly as interesting as Nin's own, but it does fill in a lot of the gaps that were edited out of the diaries.
Natalie
Nov 10, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has read anything by Anais Nin
The most easy to read biography I have read yet. Also included much more information than just reading her diaries and has influenced me to read the all again along with her short stories.
Emma Weine
Dec 28, 2012 Emma Weine rated it liked it
I lived and loved Anais Nin in my 20's and read this bio on a round road trip from Sydney to Brisbane. I enjoyed it so much I didn't even get car sick.
Laila
Jan 28, 2008 Laila rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: half-read
I can't deeal with this book. Anais Nin and all her lovers, her hysterics, her twisted fantasties, it all got to be a bit much so I had to abandon it.
Sonia
Jun 24, 2012 Sonia rated it really liked it
I just started reading this book and am so excited. I love her books and am just as enthralled with her life.
Hoyadaisy
It seems very carefully researched, but I'm amazed that Nin's erotic life could be so tedious.
Elizabeth
Feb 24, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
better than the deirdre bair biography, which focused too much on nin's morality.
Michelle Fields
Mar 05, 2008 Michelle Fields rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this angle
missemmamm
Mar 18, 2012 missemmamm rated it really liked it
wonderful
KatieB
KatieB is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2016
Oriob-John Goudy
Oriob-John Goudy rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Laura Beth
Laura Beth marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Nadeen Abu
Nadeen Abu rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Jackie Vazquez
Jackie Vazquez marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Kaye Burchette
Kaye Burchette rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
  • Anaïs Nin: A Biography
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
  • Painted Shadow: The Life of Vivienne Eliot, First Wife of T. S. Eliot
  • Eudora Welty
  • The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 2: 1934-1939
  • Anton Chekhov
  • Lover of Unreason: Assia Wevill, Sylvia Plath's Rival and Ted Hughes' Doomed Love
  • The Broken Tower: The Life of Hart Crane
  • Whittaker Chambers: A Biography
  • James Baldwin
  • The Kindness Of Strangers: The Life Of Tennessee Williams
  • Louise Brooks: A Biography
  • Jean Rhys: The Complete Novels (Voyage in the Dark, Quartet, After Leaving Mr Mackenzie, Good Morning, Midnight, Wide Sargasso Sea)
  • Dorothy Parker: What Fresh Hell Is This?
  • Robert Frost: A Life
  • Passionate Minds: Women Rewriting the World
  • Private Demons: The Life of Shirley Jackson
  • The Portable Henry James
Noël Riley Fitch is a biographer and historian of expatriate intellectuals in Paris in the first half of the 20th century. Every book Fitch has written has some connection with Paris and the artists who lived and worked there, including her biographies of Sylvia Beach, Anaïs Nin, and Julia Child.

In June 2011 Noël was awarded the prestigious Prix de la Tour Montparnasse literary award in France fo
More about Noël Riley Fitch...