Start by marking “Dune” as Want to Read:
Dune

Dune (Dune Chronicles #1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  406,261 ratings  ·  9,465 reviews
Set in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary dynasties are controlled by noble houses that owe an allegiance to the imperial House Corrino, Dune tells the story of young Paul Atreides (the heir apparent to Duke Leto Atreides & heir of House Atreides) as he & his family accept control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only sour ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Published January 15th 1984 by Berkley (first published December 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Dune, please sign up.

Andrew Cleary The first book was written as an open-ended standalone novel. After its success. Herbert planned out an eight-part dune series and began working on…moreThe first book was written as an open-ended standalone novel. After its success. Herbert planned out an eight-part dune series and began working on book two. However, after writing book six he unfortunately died. His son and a hired author finished the last few books a while ago. So there are really three "break points" in the series, after book one, after book six and after book eight. Some people would also say after book four as that's quite a dramatic shift in the scope of the Duniverse, but that's getting into spoiler territory.(less)
Avaminn F'nett Appropriate, yes. But I don't think most 12 year-olds would find it that interesting. Smart 12 year-olds who like fantasy and sci-fi books would like…moreAppropriate, yes. But I don't think most 12 year-olds would find it that interesting. Smart 12 year-olds who like fantasy and sci-fi books would like it, though.(less)

Manny
There's a characteristically witty essay by Borges about a man who rewrites Don Quixote, many centuries after Cervantes. He publishes a novel with the same title, containing the same words in the same order. But, as Borges shows you, the different cultural context means it's a completely new book! What was once trite and commonplace is now daring and new, and vice versa. It just happens to look like Cervantes's masterpiece.

Similarly, imagine the man who was brave or stupid enough to rewrite Dune
John Wiswell
Jul 30, 2013 John Wiswell rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction readers, fantasy readers, speculative fiction readers
No one should argue the importance Dune. It laid the foundations for a great deal of the themes and constructs in modern science fiction. Frank Herbert was as important to the genre as Isaac Asimov and Arthur Clarke. Unfortunately, just like them, he's quite dated, and his books can be a labor to read. One thing he maintained from old science fiction was prim and scientific dialogue that no one would ever actually speak. I've known many scientists, and they don't talk like this. You're not going ...more
Rajat Ubhaykar
In my head, the purpose of this review is very clear. It is to convince YOU to read this book. Yes, you! Waste time no more. Go grab a copy.

Machiavellian intrigue, mythology, religion, politics, imperialism, environmentalism, the nature of power. All this set in a mind-boggling, frighteningly original world which Herbert ominously terms as an "effort at prediction". Dune had me hooked!

First impression

The very first stirring I felt upon opening the yellowed pages of Dune was that of stumbling upo
Matt
Like most of my five star books, I’ve read Dune multiple times. In fact, I’d say that what makes a book more than just enjoyable and instead truly amazing is that you want to read it more than once and are rewarded for doing so. I’ve probably read Dune six times, and I’ve never gotten tired of it but my understanding of the work has increased over time.

To begin with, the first time I read Dune, I got about three pages into it, realized I didn’t understand a thing and that I was hopelessly confus
J.G. Keely
People often forget that this series is what innovated our modern concept of science fiction (up until Neuromancer and The Martix, at least). Dune took the Space Opera and asked if it might be more than spandex, dildo-shaped rockets, and scantily-clad green women. Herbert created a vast and complex system of ancient spatial politics and peoples, then set them at one another's throats over land, money, and drugs.

Dune is often said to relate to Sci Fi in the same way that Tolkien relates to Fantas
Bookworm Sean
I could never give Dune five stars because I really struggled to get into the novel in the beginning. It has taken me almost two months to read. This, for me, is a very long time to spend on a book. It took me so long to read because I found the writing style incredibly frustrating. I had to read whole chapters again so I could get the gist of the plot. This was more so in the beginning, which I found particularly hard to read because of the author’s way of shifting between the thoughts of multi ...more
Terry
Is it space opera? Is it political commentary? Is it philosophical exploration? Is it fantasy? _Dune_ is all of these things and possibly more. One thing I do know: it's a kick-ass read!

I've loved this book since I first plunged into it's mightily constructed, weird and obscure world. Of course it's hailed as a classic, and I am one of those that agrees. The sheer magnitude of Herbert's invention, his monumental world-building tied with an exciting story of betrayal, survival, rebellion and ulti
Markus
Buddy re-read with Athena!

“To begin your study of the life of Muad'Dib, then, take care that you first place him in his time: born in the 57th year of the Padishah Emperor, Shaddam IV. And take the most special care that you locate Muad'Dib in his place: the planet Arrakis. Do not be deceived by the fact that he was born on Caladan and lived his first fifteen years there. Arrakis, the planet known as Dune, is forever his place.”

Thus begins one of the greatest novels ever written.

About ten years
Keith Mukai
I guess I'm one of the few that bridge the gap between the Pride and Prejudice camp and the Dune camp. I loved both.

Dune isn't a light, enjoyable read. At times it reads more like excerpts from geology, ecology, zoology, sociology, pscyhology, and political textbooks. The characters are more like mega-archetypes than real human beings.

The appeal of Dune is peculiar. In order to enjoy Dune you have to enjoy complexity. All authors create little worlds in their stories but Herbert created a world.
j
DBR to follow, at Ceridwen's request. She must have used one of her Bene Gesserit tricks on me.

***
Dune. Dune is a fascinating book. A classic of science-fiction, it plays equally as fantasy and allegory. It is deeply textured, richly layered. And if you want to read a sensible review of it, I'd go read, say, Cedriwen's. This one is going to be full of silliness.

Arrakis. The desert planet. Home to spice and sandworms. Dune. You know, I went to the desert once. The Sahara Desert. It looked like th
Otis Chandler
When people ask me what my favorite book is, Dune is always my answer. Words cannot even do justice to what an epic tale this is. We learn about spirituality, human nature, politics, religion, and the making of a hero.

I loved the spiritual aspects of the book the best. The philosophies and practices and Pranu Bindu training of the Bene Gesserit that Paul learns and builds upon. The Bene Gesserit believe in a training regiment that results in a superior human being - one with every sense as refin
Alexa
Welcome to Unpopular Review Time! Where I go against what almost everyone else says about a book.

Before we start, please do not be fooled by the three star rating. Even if I didn't like really like the book, I have to acknowledge there are reasons why Dune is a cornerstone of the Sci Fi genre.

Now, let's talk about the important stuff.

This is a masterpiece of world building.

We get a new planet, and while it's obvious that Herbert based his desert planet on real sights and cultures, it's still aw
Evgeny
This is a classic science fiction book with both movies and miniseries adaptations, so I assume the majority of the people are familiar with the plot which means I will be a little less careful about giving spoilers than usual.

In the distant future the humanity is ruled by an intergalactic feudal Empire - is absolute monarchy the best the humanity could come up with after all its history? Anyway, Duke Leto Atreides accepts control of a desert planet called Arrakis (aka Dune) which also happened
Penny
Top 10 favourite book of all time! I'm having a good run of books from that point of view at the moment.

Told in the voice of an omniscient narrator the plot unfolds with practised ease around the cast. I'm not used to this style of narration and found it to be very powerful. Knowing the private thoughts and reactions of relevant characters in certain scenes was often vastly more revealing than anything else could have been.

The world building was simply brilliant. The universe with it's politics
Szplug
As kids, my older brother was a Dune guy, whereas I bowed at the altar of John Ronald Reuel—and neither of us could ever bring ourselves to meet fully in the other's territory. I have tried Frank Herbert's renowned series several times now but have yet to make it further than Dune Messiah, the succinct, but inferior, follow-up to his smash-hit series opener. Everything that constitutes this curiously prescient science-fiction champion appeals to me: an alluringly thoughtful and flush aeon-spanni ...more
Apatt
Does the world need another Dune review? I very much doubt it needs mine but that never stopped me before, saturation be damned!

Dune in and of itself, in isolation from the rest of the numerous other Dune books, is by general consensus the greatest sci-fi novel of all time. You may not agree, and one book can not please everybody but statistically Dune comes closest to achieving just this. Witness how often you see it at or near the top of all-time best sf books lists.

I never read Dune with the
Becky
This is one of those books that I've always thought that I should read, but never actually wanted to read, simply because I thought that it would have to be tedious and dry and, I hate to say it, boring. Which goes to show what a poor book-cover judge I am, because this book was anything but tedious, dry or boring. In fact, one of the first things that struck me about this book was the readability and fast-paced action and intrigue. So much happened in such a short amount of time, that I'd have ...more
Katie
I've loved science fiction my whole life, but I was finally told that I couldn't call myself a SF fan if I hadn't read Dune. So I read it. I know Dune is worshipped as a paragon of groundbreaking SF, I can witness and acknowledge Herbert's genius, and I can understand that when it was written it was certainly seminal, but I still don't think much of it.

Aside from Herbert's horribly annoying use of 3rd-person-omnipotent viewpoint, he's just not a good writer. For clarification: he's a fantastic s
Stephen
6.0 stars. On my list of All Time Favorite Novels. Arguably the greatest Science Fiction novel ever written and certainly a standard by which other works are judged. The best way I can think of to describe the world and characters created by Frank Herbert in his Dune series is "staggering." HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!

Winner: Hugo Award for Best Novel
Winner: Nebula Award Best Novel
Listed #1 of Locus Poll of All Time Greatest SF Novels
Jonathan
Cross-posted at my booklikes profile

4.5 Stars

Dune has long been a book that has attracted my attention, even before I realised it. When I was seven years old I learned to read with the aid of The Chronicles of Narnia and shortly afterwards The Hobbit. These fantasy novels inspired a love of reading and also a love of wonderful worlds and adventures, a love which was further fostered when at around the same age my parents introduced me to Star Wars. Such a science fiction concept with its spac
Jonfaith
What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises—no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting.

My problems with Dune are not issues with speculation. My disbelief is maintained through healthy exercise. Much as I am opposed to terms like world-building I can empathize and imagine. Pondering alternatives is a heady philosophical endeavor. That said, I do not like the insistence on the epic in SF/F. What I want is a Month
Steve
This was a reread for me; I first read it over 30 years ago, in 1982, I think. It's still a classic in the realm of science fiction, and is among the same standard as Tolkien's Lord of the Rings set for fantasy writing.

Not much to add to the hundreds of thousands of reviews and ratings. The truly amazing thing about this book (and series) is the amount of detail that the author put into not only the world creation, but the entire galaxy, including languages, religions, politics, and space trave
Tatiana
Apr 15, 2010 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of sophisticated science fiction
Recommended to Tatiana by: Ryan
Shelves: sci-fi, 2010, nebula
I like books for different reasons - characters, writing style, exciting plot. I will remember "Dune" for its remarkable world-building.

Dune (or Arrakis) is a desert planet. It is barren, almost waterless, and it is the only source of melange - a spice with unique geriatric qualities - it extends lives, enhances mental abilities, and is necessary for space travel. Dune is at the center of an Imperial scheme to bring down the influential House of Atreides led by Duke Leto Atreides. The plan is to
Lyn
Dune.

No other single syllable means as much to the science fiction genre, a single word that conjures images of sandworms, spice wars, great battles between rival dynastic families and a massively detailed and intricately crafted universe. No wonder this is widely regarded as not just a Science Fiction masterpiece, but a literary achievement as well.

Like a study of Shakespeare, the reader finds that this is an archetype upon which many influences and imitators have based their works. The comple
Chris
I love this book. This was my first re-read of the classic that I'm sure I'll visit with again a few times down the road. But I shouldn't have waited 20 years. This book is too good to go that long without reading again.

How can I do it justice in a review? I can say, "it's cool", but that doesn't come close. Even a 5-star rating seems to be short of expressing its worth. This is one of those books that should be allowed a 6th star.

I can't even pin down what it is exactly that makes this stand ou
Adam
I've read and reread this novel across the years, and I'll continue to do so.

Dune was Frank Herbert's imagination breathed into the pages of a single book. He wrote numerous others to follow it, all of which continue to explore and flesh out the world he introduced us to in this, the first of his Dune series. The world in its pages is so vast and so rife with potential that his son, Brian, has continued in his father's footsteps, writing further explorations of the history that led up to this bo
Léonard Gaya
This novel is often said to be one of the classic masterpieces of 20th century American Science-Fiction. Incidentally, it has probably become a worldwide popular novel thanks to the film adaptation David Lynch directed in the early 1980's (this movie was, and still is, not considered one of his best). Indeed, Frank Herbert wrote a novel of epic proportions, in other words a "space opera", with its intergalactic feudal society, its decadent (if not evil) empire and its band of rebels: the book wa ...more
Xime García
: Me gustó, nada extraordinario.

3.5 estrellas en realidad.

Hello, fellas! Sigo de viaje, sí, pero hallé una tarde libre y mientras se me carga el penúltimo episodio de The Walking Dead, decidí dar una vueltita por Goodreads.

description

Resulta que me gustó. Sí. Nunca había leído nada de ciencia ficción enteramente. Husmeando en mi librería habitual me choqué con este libro, y luego de investigar un poco en internet, descubrí que es algo así como la biblia de los libros de ciencia ficción, como el Star Wars
Donovan
Oct 25, 2007 Donovan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who thinks they love StarWars
I had never read Dune. I can’t put my finger on exactly why I hadn’t read it; although, I do have a nebulous memory of picking it up and not being able to get in to it. I know for a fact that I’d read the closing line previously, which is something I never do prior to reading a book; so that is really odd, perhaps it was quoted in either the movie or the miniseries.

I do know people, a surprising number of people, who give Dune an almost Biblical reverence. It isn’t a selective grouping either. A
Matt
Oct 11, 2007 Matt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
This is the best book ever written. Cerebrally stimulating for anyone. When we attempt to understand why entertainment of this caliber (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars) and mass appeal (Harry Potter) resonates so strongly with us, many are quick to utilize Jungian archetypes to support such effects.

I haven't heard it said for this novel and for good reason, I believe. Herbert didn't draw upon existing archetypes to flesh out his story, He created completely different new ones. Herbert's vision was
Dune, 50 years on 2 21 Jul 06, 2015 05:12PM
what is the best order to read the Dune books in? 283 6777 Jun 07, 2015 10:23PM
On Paths Unknown: Dune 75 32 May 28, 2015 04:10AM
  • The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune, #2)
  • Foundation's Edge (Foundation, #4)
  • Chasm City
  • Blue Mars (Mars Trilogy, #3)
  • Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2)
  • The Snow Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #1)
  • The Einstein Intersection
  • Young Miles (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #2)
  • The Demolished Man
  • Matter (Culture, #8)
  • A Canticle for Leibowitz
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi
More about Frank Herbert...

Dune Chronicles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (Dune Chronicles, #6)
  • Kopa: Pirma knyga (Dune Chronicles, #1, part 1 of 2)
  • Месията на Дюна - част 2 (Dune Chronicles, #2, part 2 of 2)
  • Децата на Дюн 1 (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • Deca Arakisa II (Peščana planeta #6)
  • Бог-император на Дюна (Dune Chronicles, #4, part 1 of 2)
Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2) Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3) The Great Dune Trilogy  God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4) Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)

105 trivia questions
12 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” 5768 likes
“Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.” 633 likes