Start by marking “Junior” as Want to Read:
Junior

Junior

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  486 ratings  ·  83 reviews
A major national media event when published in hardcover, this startlingly original work of fiction introduces a new side of a well-known personality.Meet Junior. He does not know how to write a book. (Except -- maybe -- for this one.) His therapist says he has issues with closure. (Granted, this book has seven endings.) This is not a novel. (Everything in it is entirely t ...more
Published March 14th 2007 by Miramax Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Junior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Junior

K
It's a joke, anyone who can relate to a single page of it will see that. I believe what he writes, but he thinks it's ridiculous that people will buy it. He says that the only reason anyone would consider reading this book is because he is famous and that is why it got published at all. He's telling you not to buy the book, it's not worth anything to anyone but him. And it's wonderful. So for those of you who can't beleive you bought it, you should have opened your eyes to what he was telling yo ...more
Scott
A year ago, I thought it might be a good idea to buy and read Macaulay Culkin's new book Junior. That was pretty much the stupidest idea I've ever had. It's basically a meaningless miscellany of all too self-conscious stream of consciousness ramblings intended to paint our hero (affectionately calling himself "Junior") as some sort of creative, emotive force of modern writing. He comes off more as a crappy emo rock band that opens for a crappier emo rock band at your local Starbucks.

Just because
Rachel
Part of me wants to feel incredibly sorry for Macaul...err, Junior, because he seems so confused and broken and dejected with major daddy-issues, but then the other part of me knows that he is laughing at me for buying and reading his book in the first place.

(I can picture) Macaulay: "Sucker!"

He basically tells you in the beginning that hey, if you're dumb enough to buy this book, well then you're gullible enough to believe the load of horseshit he's about to feed you. And what's so great abou
Mariah Needler
I disagree with all the bad reviews of his book. I do not even get where the pretentiousness was??? It wasn't. Culkin lets the reader know right up front that the book is more of a non-book, it is a joke, that he is no author and that he realizes that the only reason anyone may buy it is because of his name and with expectations misdirected.
The reviews have been bad. I guess the people who say such ugly things about this book either didn't read it in it's entirety, didn't bother flipping through
Liz
This book got panned when it came out, but it is not a conventional novel and you cannot read it with such expectations. I really enjoyed it as it was extremely original and often unexpectedly touching
Bill
So, I'm not a big fan of Macaulay Culkin at all. I found this book while browsing through the library and the first pages made me laugh, so I checked it out. It's not a story, it's not really anything, but I think that's the point. It's just complete randomness and for some reason or another I enjoyed it. I don't know if I would necessarily recommend this, I don't know if a lot of people will like it. But I did.
Brenna
I read this book simply because it was written by Macaulay Culkin. I thought it was quite funny actually. He has some major daddy issues, but I like how he is so sarcastic about it. I like the whole idea that this book is a big joke to him and the joke is on us for reading it.
Brandy
I read this book in about 8 hours. I LOVED IT! The book reads like a journal, you almost feel like you found it in your boyfriend's closet. It was touching & revealing. Very funny as well. I would recommend it to anyone who is curious about the author's personality.
Ashley
unlike many, I found Junior to be quite an enjoyable read. If you take it for what it is, instead of trying to force it into a genre it wasn't meant to be in, it's a pretty decent book!
Shannon
Dec 13, 2007 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: either really whiny emos or people with a good sense of humor
Shelves: lulz, memoirs
What's with all the ones? Yes, it was silly and pretentious and tried WAY too hard. But.. it was amusing. You have to give it that. I give it three stars for pure amusement value alone.
Tory
This entire novel, can it really even be called a novel? was incoherent. And ridiculous.

It was like a blog, kind of, but without any continuity or time line. Some of the pieces were articulated well, but it was hard to care because the serious bits were about two paragraphs long and so out of place with the silly rhyming poems and alliterations, that they just came out of left field. Therefor hard to take them all that serious. But I don't see how it could possibly have been meant to take seriou
Becca Stokes
Aw, Macaulay!
When I was eight I was obsessed - we're talking unanswered letters, reading all his unauthorized bios, seeing meaningful darkness behind the cute child actor - I piiiiined, you don't even know!

So I bought this book. And I read it. And screw all of you.

So he can't write, he admits it. We're the suckers for buying the book and reading the damn thing.

But really it isn't very good.

Funny. I expect more of my once and future husband.
Amos
This is what I think happened to Macaulay Culkin: A child star is born. He then grows up, now rich and bored, and decides to write a choppy book that is heavily influenced by Harmony Korine's "A Crack-Up at the Race Riots," only with less substance on the pages and plagued by weaker substance abuse problems then Mr. Korine.
Christine
"Junior" is really random and stream-of-consciousness but a lot of it is reflective and contemplative. I enjoy this style of writing and absolutely didn't mind it one bit. I loved bouncing around from poetry to the memoir excerpts to the short stories to the letters; it provided a good variety.
Shanna
I didn't think I'd enjoy this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was well-written and it was interesting to weed out all the auto-biographical moments from the story.

It was definitely worth the read, since I am a fan of his work.
William Redd
This book. I mean, it's hard to say. It is stream-of-consciousness and switches gears fast and loose, but that's what makes it interesting. I definitely feel like this book isn't for everyone and some people will dismiss it as pretentious or as the rantings of a former child star, but that's what makes it work.

Clearly, Culkin borrowed from his own life, the best fiction does. But where is that line? What's fiction? What's reality? Does it matter? Not really. From letters to poetry to lists to sh
Elizabeth
I thought this book was a little dark.. seems to be an autobiography.

Still, I couldn't put it down. Little Macaulay from home Alone is a decent writer!
Aimee
It is utterly meaningless & totally ridictulous. & I love it.
Everypage is stranger than the last one. It's hilarious & heartbreaking.
Mandy
This book makes me feel less crazy with life. If you can handle the randomness, than you should read it.
Matt
Dec 08, 2008 Matt marked it as to-read
I think this is probably the next great American novel.
Vicky
Jun 16, 2014 Vicky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Muumuu House
Recommended to Vicky by: Goodwill score! Macaulay Culkin!!
will write review later but in meantime, all the low star ratings on here are dumb because macaulay culkin--who I like even more now, on top of my already-existing childhood crush on him--not only gives TWO prefaces before you start the book, even including a multiple choice quiz for you to take to determine whether you are the right audience for the book, but there are also like 4 or 5 "checkpoints" to update you on how many words you've read so far which is giving you every chance to abandon t ...more
Meryl
At first I didn't know what to think when I saw Macaulay Culkin wrote this. And you know, at first I kinda liked it. The writing was rather off and I thought some parts were pretty funny.

I think...

But for the most part, not even halfway through I got really bored with it. I would take it with me to the laundromat to kill time, or try and get some reading done before bed, but every time I just wished I had chosen to read something else. I mean, the laundromat? I could have been watching my cloth
Owen
I brought this home from a free-box and read the beginning, and then flipped through. I think this is a book I would have written at 15 years old in an angsty moment - thinking that there is deep meaning in meaninglessness. And maybe there is, but you don't need an entire book of meaninglessness. There are people who do quirky, dark humor and daddy-issues much better. But to critique it as a piece of literature is ridiculous because clearly it was Macaulay wrote it as a joke on us anyways.
Kat
After the experimental and playful exchange Macaulay has with the reader throughout, I'd like to think he'd read these. If so, I'd like to thank him first of all for sharing. :) It seems only appropriate that I'd like to make lists of all the things I thought of while reading his book:
My father. My brother. My father. My mother. My other brother. My father. My first time. My childhood acting aspirations. My father. The price of fame. My grandfather. My father. Alcoholism. Anger. My father. Sadn
Celena
If Macaulay Culkin had a tumblr blog, this is it in print form.
There were some moments when it's as if the writer read my mind and wrote some of my (rubbish) thoughts down. This doesn't mean that I liked the book, though. I found it immature, excessively whiny, and poorly written. The only redeeming factor is that the author knows that his book sucks and that it shouldn't even exist. Culkin was so meta way before meta was cool.
Rissa
Jan 17, 2014 Rissa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Being a book that I picked up out of curiosity, I don't think I gave the author and his work enough distance. In any case, it felt more like skimming a serial killer's field notes than reading a novel. Junior's narration is incomprehensibly angry and logically unsound, employing stream-of-consciousness and what I suspect to be drunk-writing. In spite of being all the inanities, though, there are times when he effectively elicits sympathy with his sentiments; he sometimes distills all his tumultu ...more
Chris
I found this book to be very interesting throughout the story because the author jumped around so much. If you are looking for a book that follows a linear thought process, this is not one to read.

The stories jump around like a mexican jumping bean. At one point you are reading a story about a child then you are reading about an experience this boy had in a bathroom and then reading about things they dislike.

I did enjoy though to see what kind of material would come from this famous person. I d
Anne
Looking back, I see I've read some pretty bad books this year. Some were just poorly written. Some had characters that I didn't care about. Some books I just didn't like, but I could maybe acknowledge were well-written. This book, however, is simply terrible. It is the first-person narrative of "Junior" - a twenty-year old who has issues with his father and is trying to find his way in the world after experiencing some success as a child actor. In this respect, the book is apparently autobiograp ...more
Erin Tuzuner
The kind of novel all of us would have written had there ever been a promise of financial reward. Brooding, nonsensical teenage discoveries of life and meaning. Mr. Culkin TRIES SO HARD to be taken seriously. He reminds me of a less repugnant James Franco. There are a few genuinely good moments, but most of this is just sad musings and pseudo intellectual frotteurism.
Nika Anuk
You yourself need to decide if you want to like it/believe it. If you do, yes, it is a sad book. If you don't, then don't worry, few hours you have spent on this book won't kill you. Could be worse, couldn't be?
  • Not Her Real Name and Other Stories
  • Pretty Little Dirty
  • How Writers Work: Finding a Process That Works for You
  • Hush
  • Flowers for Hitler
  • House of Cards: The True Story of How a 26-Year-Old Fundamentalist Virgin Learned about Life, Love, and Sex by Writing Greeting Cards
  • 3 By Flannery O'Connor: Wise Blood / A Good Man Is Hard to Find / The Violent Bear It Away
  • Thumbsucker
  • Headcrash

“I want to be able to hump people's legs and have them do nothing about it.” 2 likes