Start by marking “Junior” as Want to Read:
Junior

Junior

A major national media event when published in hardcover, this startlingly original work of fiction introduces a new side of a well-known personality.

Meet Junior. He does not know how to write a book. (Except -- maybe -- for this one.) His therapist says he has issues with closure. (Granted, this book has seven endings.) This is not a novel. (Everything in it is entirely

Published March 14th 2007 by Miramax (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Junior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Junior

K
Aug 20, 2008 K rated it really liked it
It's a joke, anyone who can relate to a single page of it will see that. I believe what he writes, but he thinks it's ridiculous that people will buy it. He says that the only reason anyone would consider reading this book is because he is famous and that is why it got published at all. He's telling you not to buy the book, it's not worth anything to anyone but him. And it's wonderful. So for those of you who can't beleive you bought it, you should have opened your eyes to what he was telling yo ...more
Mariah Needler
Mar 13, 2010 Mariah Needler rated it really liked it
I disagree with all the bad reviews of his book. I do not even get where the pretentiousness was??? It wasn't. Culkin lets the reader know right up front that the book is more of a non-book, it is a joke, that he is no author and that he realizes that the only reason anyone may buy it is because of his name and with expectations misdirected.
The reviews have been bad. I guess the people who say such ugly things about this book either didn't read it in it's entirety, didn't bother flipping through
Scott
May 13, 2007 Scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A year ago, I thought it might be a good idea to buy and read Macaulay Culkin's new book Junior. That was pretty much the stupidest idea I've ever had. It's basically a meaningless miscellany of all too self-conscious stream of consciousness ramblings intended to paint our hero (affectionately calling himself "Junior") as some sort of creative, emotive force of modern writing. He comes off more as a crappy emo rock band that opens for a crappier emo rock band at your local Starbucks.

Just because
Rachel
Nov 05, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Part of me wants to feel incredibly sorry for Macaul...err, Junior, because he seems so confused and broken and dejected with major daddy-issues, but then the other part of me knows that he is laughing at me for buying and reading his book in the first place.

(I can picture) Macaulay: "Sucker!"

He basically tells you in the beginning that hey, if you're dumb enough to buy this book, well then you're gullible enough to believe the load of horseshit he's about to feed you. And what's so great abou
Liz
Jan 22, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: memior
This book got panned when it came out, but it is not a conventional novel and you cannot read it with such expectations. I really enjoyed it as it was extremely original and often unexpectedly touching
Bill
Sep 15, 2009 Bill rated it liked it
So, I'm not a big fan of Macaulay Culkin at all. I found this book while browsing through the library and the first pages made me laugh, so I checked it out. It's not a story, it's not really anything, but I think that's the point. It's just complete randomness and for some reason or another I enjoyed it. I don't know if I would necessarily recommend this, I don't know if a lot of people will like it. But I did.
Brandy
Oct 28, 2010 Brandy rated it it was amazing
I read this book in about 8 hours. I LOVED IT! The book reads like a journal, you almost feel like you found it in your boyfriend's closet. It was touching & revealing. Very funny as well. I would recommend it to anyone who is curious about the author's personality.
Rebecca McNutt
I've never really been a big fan of Macaulay Culkin. He's an okay actor, but that's right all you Home Alone and Uncle Buck fans out there, I don't think he was any better of an actor than any other kid off the street.

description

He had his moment in the spotlight during the Nineties, and even today, as evident from his drug use, his "pizza band" (don't ask, but the guy seriously has a 20 minute long YouTube video of himself doing nothing except eating a piece of pizza, what the hell?) and his immature beh
Brenna
Mar 02, 2012 Brenna rated it liked it
I read this book simply because it was written by Macaulay Culkin. I thought it was quite funny actually. He has some major daddy issues, but I like how he is so sarcastic about it. I like the whole idea that this book is a big joke to him and the joke is on us for reading it.
steen
Dec 26, 2008 steen rated it really liked it
"Junior" is really random and stream-of-consciousness but a lot of it is reflective and contemplative. I enjoy this style of writing and absolutely didn't mind it one bit. I loved bouncing around from poetry to the memoir excerpts to the short stories to the letters; it provided a good variety.
Aimee
Feb 01, 2011 Aimee rated it it was amazing
It is utterly meaningless & totally ridictulous. & I love it.
Everypage is stranger than the last one. It's hilarious & heartbreaking.
Shannon
Dec 13, 2007 Shannon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: either really whiny emos or people with a good sense of humor
Shelves: lulz, memoirs
What's with all the ones? Yes, it was silly and pretentious and tried WAY too hard. But.. it was amusing. You have to give it that. I give it three stars for pure amusement value alone.
Ashley
Oct 01, 2008 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
unlike many, I found Junior to be quite an enjoyable read. If you take it for what it is, instead of trying to force it into a genre it wasn't meant to be in, it's a pretty decent book!
Vicky
Jan 06, 2016 Vicky rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Muumuu House
Recommended to Vicky by: Goodwill score! Macaulay Culkin!!
will write review later but in meantime, all the low star ratings on here are ugh because macaulay culkin--who I like even more now, on top of my already-existing childhood crush on him--not only gives TWO prefaces before you start the book, even including a multiple choice quiz for you to take to determine whether you are the right audience for the book, but there are also like 4 or 5 "checkpoints" to update you on how many words you've read so far which is giving you every chance to abandon th ...more
Tory
Aug 26, 2007 Tory rated it did not like it
This entire novel, can it really even be called a novel? was incoherent. And ridiculous.

It was like a blog, kind of, but without any continuity or time line. Some of the pieces were articulated well, but it was hard to care because the serious bits were about two paragraphs long and so out of place with the silly rhyming poems and alliterations, that they just came out of left field. Therefor hard to take them all that serious. But I don't see how it could possibly have been meant to take seriou
Becca Stokes
Jun 05, 2007 Becca Stokes rated it did not like it
Aw, Macaulay!
When I was eight I was obsessed - we're talking unanswered letters, reading all his unauthorized bios, seeing meaningful darkness behind the cute child actor - I piiiiined, you don't even know!

So I bought this book. And I read it. And screw all of you.

So he can't write, he admits it. We're the suckers for buying the book and reading the damn thing.

But really it isn't very good.

Funny. I expect more of my once and future husband.
Amos
Jul 10, 2008 Amos rated it did not like it
This is what I think happened to Macaulay Culkin: A child star is born. He then grows up, now rich and bored, and decides to write a choppy book that is heavily influenced by Harmony Korine's "A Crack-Up at the Race Riots," only with less substance on the pages and plagued by weaker substance abuse problems then Mr. Korine.
Shanna
I didn't think I'd enjoy this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was well-written and it was interesting to weed out all the auto-biographical moments from the story.

It was definitely worth the read, since I am a fan of his work.
Kelly Creel
May 20, 2015 Kelly Creel rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how much I appreciated this. Macaulay's writings and ravings are frustrating at times, but he is a talented voice. I hope he continues to write. The book became dark and poignant when the topic turned to his father. I can relate.
Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a little dark.. seems to be an autobiography.

Still, I couldn't put it down. Little Macaulay from home Alone is a decent writer!
Mandy
Dec 16, 2009 Mandy rated it it was amazing
This book makes me feel less crazy with life. If you can handle the randomness, than you should read it.
Matt
Dec 08, 2008 Matt marked it as to-read
I think this is probably the next great American novel.
Myra King
Nov 15, 2016 Myra King rated it really liked it
This book is not to be taken seriously, it's just him playing around with words and making fun of the concept of a novel. He even warns you it is not a proper novel on the cover. Mainly it's silly ramblings by a man who clearly has a lot on his mind. But the passages where he actually stops messing around and writes from the heart are rather soul crushing. How could anyone do that to their child?

And the last two pages had me in tears. I found it funny that he was so worried about not ending on a
Georgia-Elizabeth
Dec 13, 2016 Georgia-Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Reading other reviews, I understand where people are coming from - but personally I adore this book, its actually my favourite book. It's actually a bittersweet view into the mind of Macaulay Culkin and I could relate to some of the things within its pages - which, by the way, isn't stupid as some reviews imply. It features poems, drawings, journal extracts and short stories and I personally like to dip into it if I need a little reassurance or inspiration from time to time.
Meryl
Jul 25, 2011 Meryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first I didn't know what to think when I saw Macaulay Culkin wrote this. And you know, at first I kinda liked it. The writing was rather off and I thought some parts were pretty funny.

I think...

But for the most part, not even halfway through I got really bored with it. I would take it with me to the laundromat to kill time, or try and get some reading done before bed, but every time I just wished I had chosen to read something else. I mean, the laundromat? I could have been watching my cloth
Jeff Grosser
Jan 24, 2015 Jeff Grosser rated it it was ok
It's hard for me to really rate/review this "book". When really what this is, is a collection of random thoughts, opinions, rants, and therapeutic writings of Macaulay dealing with the issues he has with his father.

I knew going in that this was not to be taken very serious. I'd seen interviews with him when he was promoting the book, and knew what to expect. I chose to proceed because I thought anyone who watched Singin' in the Rain 50 times straight might have something interesting to say. Some
Kat
Sep 23, 2014 Kat rated it liked it
After the experimental and playful exchange Macaulay has with the reader throughout, I'd like to think he'd read these. If so, I'd like to thank him first of all for sharing. :) It seems only appropriate that I'd like to make lists of all the things I thought of while reading his book:
My father. My brother. My father. My mother. My other brother. My father. My first time. My childhood acting aspirations. My father. The price of fame. My grandfather. My father. Alcoholism. Anger. My father. Sadn
Anne
Nov 26, 2007 Anne rated it did not like it
Looking back, I see I've read some pretty bad books this year. Some were just poorly written. Some had characters that I didn't care about. Some books I just didn't like, but I could maybe acknowledge were well-written. This book, however, is simply terrible. It is the first-person narrative of "Junior" - a twenty-year old who has issues with his father and is trying to find his way in the world after experiencing some success as a child actor. In this respect, the book is apparently autobiograp ...more
Chris
Oct 22, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very interesting throughout the story because the author jumped around so much. If you are looking for a book that follows a linear thought process, this is not one to read.

The stories jump around like a mexican jumping bean. At one point you are reading a story about a child then you are reading about an experience this boy had in a bathroom and then reading about things they dislike.

I did enjoy though to see what kind of material would come from this famous person. I d
mandy
Feb 06, 2008 mandy rated it it was ok
no matter how much Macaulay Culkin wants you to believe this is fiction, it isn't. It reads like a memoir of a child star where the names have been changed. not fiction. This book is useful if you are looking for a list of: