Start by marking “The Ascent of Rum Doodle” as Want to Read:
The Ascent of Rum Doodle

The Ascent of Rum Doodle

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  829 ratings  ·  115 reviews
First published in 1956, The Ascent of Rum Doodle quickly became a mountaineering classic. As an outrageously funny spoof about the ascent of a peak in the Himalayas, many thought it was inspired by the 1953 conquest of Everest. But Bowman had drawn on the flavor and tone of earlier adventures, of Bill Tilman and his 1937 account of the Nandi Devi expedition. The book’s ce ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Random House UK (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Ascent of Rum Doodle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ascent of Rum Doodle

Jogle
For reasons associated with but not limited to having no friends, I arrived one night alone and at very short notice in Kathmandu. The prehistoric taxi from the airport was assembled from many previously fossilised taxis, and after only a few hundred exhilarating yards, violently disassembled on unsurprisingly crashing into what I assumed was the target motorcycle. The ensuing melee moved almost seamlessly into my trek on foot, carrying a rucksack (passably similar to an American ‘backpack’) con ...more
Rhys
The second funniest work of fiction I have ever read... It's a good example of British surrealism. The British never really regarded surrealism as a serious artform and most examples of British surrealism are in fact strange comedies with no especial interest in the concerns of the original Surrealists (Freudian psychology, automatic writing, unpalatable honesty regarding sexual desires, etc).

This novel stands comparison with *Three Men in a Boat* or *Diary of a Nobody* but it's much more extrem
Antonomasia
A classic British comic novel about a shambolic Himalayan mountaineering expedition. Perhaps a forgotten classic - it's been familiar to me for a long time and I didn't know it wasn't well-known until I read Bill Bryson's introduction. He compares it with Diary of a Nobody - the narrator is similarly incompetent, though perhaps marginally less pompous. (There's an awful lot happening, so less time to be so.) There's also a touch of Goonish / Pythonesque surrealism and a dash of Ealing charm. And ...more
Eric
Jan 29, 2014 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of farcical humor
Shelves: humor, audiobooks
I added this book to my to-read shelf after reading this blog post. After reading it, I fully endorse it as worthy of adding to your to-read shelf as well.

The premise is straightforward. Binder -- who is, to give a modern equivalent, very similar to Michael Scott from The Office -- is leading an expedition to ascend to the top of the Rum Doodle mountain peak. His companions include a translator that appears to not know the native language, a doctor who remains sick with various maladies, a navig
Tweedledum
I love the serendipity of books. 1 month ago I discover this obscure and forgotten spoof on my bibliophilic son's ever growing bookshelves. Today I find a reference to it in another book I am reading... !

In this age of political correctness and sensitivities to all kinds of imagined slights The Ascent of Rum Doodle could never be written.for this reason alone it deserves to be rediscovered and celebrated. Thank God for a time when people could see the funny side of things without taking offence
Mimi
Loaned to me by a friend who said, "this book is very funny." I couldn't agree with the assessment more. It was a good treadmill read, although I nearly fell off a couple of times.
Gary Hoffman
An overlooked classic. Read it in a single sitting. Extremely silly, in a good way, and often funny enough to bring tears.
Jamie
Absolutely hilarious, giggled like a schoolgirl all the way through. I'm off to meditate on the responsibilities of leadership...
Tiago Vitória
Apr 16, 2015 Tiago Vitória rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mountaineers
I have to be really honest about this book. I couldn't enjoy it. To be honest, Bowman's style of writing it is really tiring and I was often drifting with my focus on the book. Although I have to say that's probably my problem and not Bowman's. As a matter of fact his writing is surprisingly good and very well polished. What I did not like about the book it's the fact that almost every part of it seems like a sitcom, everything is happening and nothing seems to happen. The characters are dull an ...more
Ilona
I think Bill Bryson is one of the funniest authors out there. Bill Bryson thinks Rum Doodle is one of the funniest books out there. Therefore, I should find Rum Doodle extremely funny, right?

Nope.

That was my reasoning when I picked the book up from the library, but no. I could see where the humour was, for sure. I smiled regularly for the first two or three chapters. I probably would have kept smiling if I'd kept reading, but the story didn't grip me, and the humour wasn't sufficient to keep me
Niklas
Dieses Buch ist einfach unglaublich lustig! Freunde des trockenen und subtilen Humors werden an dieser Bergsteigergeschichte definitiv ihren Spaß haben. Ich kann es nur empfehlen. Leider ist es relativ kurz :/
Erasergirl
I am delighted to find that after 37 years as a used bookseller, i can still discover a new favorite book and fall in love. Though I am slightly embarrassed that I am only discovering Rum Doodle NOW, but perhaps books come along in your life just when you need them. The Ascent of Rum Doodle can only be described as a Good Show epic running on all cylinders. The conquering of a mountain has never and will never be this funny. Give this book to someone whose never ending devotion you wan to earn, ...more
S.P. Moss
BECAUSE IT'S (NOT QUITE) THERE
'The team spirit remains first-rate and the porters are splendid.'

A little gem of a book, this is a spoof on British mountaineering literature of the early to mid 20th century. It's purportedly written by the leader of the expedition, an endearingly clueless character who carries on regardless (and oblivious) to the obvious disdain in which he's viewed by his team. These include the usual suspects of scientist, photographer, route-finder, translator, doctor and Army
Angie
This is a farcical story of a group of "climbers" setting out to tackle the daunting (and imaginary) summit of Rum Doodle. It's told in first person by a decidedly non-omniscient narrator who observes the laziness and bickering of his climbing team with unfailingly naive goodwill. I enjoyed the dry, subtle humor--laugh-out-loud in many places. A bit slow at times, but all-in-all a funny read. I'd probably give it 3.5 stars if I had the option, but it deserves to be rounded up rather than down.
One of the best comic novels I have ever read. Extremely well observed and deserves to be thought of as one of the true classics of comic literature along with P.G.Wodehouse. I particularly loved the leader of the expedition who exemplifies the stereotype of the optimistic but not at all worldly British ex-public schoolboy.
Ape
Suitably silly book sending up the good old sort stereotypical English gentleman adventurer. This little band are off to climb Rum Doodle in Yogistani, convinced of their superiority in all things - thank goodness the porters were there to keep an eye on them! It's a funny read although I got a little weary of it towards the end, despite it not being that long. Not sure why, maybe I'm not enough of a mountaineer to enjoy, or maybe the repetition of the leader having to ask everyone about his fia ...more
Susan
They are an odd and pretty inept bunch. the guide who cannot find his way anywhere, the interpreter who seems to spend all his time offending the locals by his mispronunciation, the doctor who succumbs to every illness real and imaginary and a totally useless leader who spends all his time sorting out issues and not being much of a leader as they all take advantage of his as a soft touch.

It is written as a kind of 'Jeeves and Wooster' humour and in the same langiage/tone. Wittiy and totally unbe
Joe
Dec 01, 2009 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: nepal
You will find this book promnently on the front shelf of every bookstore in Thamel, the neighborhood of Kathmandu where all the mountaineers stay when in town, going to- or coming-back. Wonderful parody.
Jules
Ein Buch über die Herausforderungen der Natur und der unbedingte Wunsch des stolzen Menschen (bzw. hier: Mannes), jegliche Herausforderung sofort als persönlich Beleidigung des eigenen Mut und Überlegenheit anzunehmen.
Bowman ist sich aber durchaus bewußt, dass sogar der stolzeste und nobelste Mann nach und nach zu einem egoistischen Menschen werden kann, der immer versuchen wird, den Weg des geringsten Widerstandes zu gehen, wenn widrige Umstände nichts anderes zulassen.
Der Chef der Expidition
Chrystal
While reading this book, be prepared for the question to be asked of you repeatedly, "What is so funny?"
CherryFee
Oh I loved every single page of this book.
Binder starts on an expedition to climb Rum Doodle, the highest mountain on earth. His team is carefully selected and every character is blatantly incapacble in his area of expertise, however Binder remains beautifully ignorant of their shortcomings and constant bickering, and reports in this account of their adventure how they fared along the way to the top of the mountain.
I loved the language and the irony which the author is able to continue from th
Nicole
It wasn't hilarious, but it was amusing. Short read as well.
Chris Amies
The story of the attempt to conquer the world's highest mountain, the 40000-and-a-half-foot Rum Doodle. Featuring a navigator who keeps getting lost, a physician who is always sick, and a supporting (often literally) cast of porters who speak in belches. Then there is the food prepared by the dreaded Yogistani Cook, Pong -- who can even make a ghastly mess out of high-quality tinned provisions.

Well, yes, it is a spoof, as though you hadn't guessed. For some reason given the British fondness for
Ian Russell
This is the second novel in a row I’ve spent too long reading. At a little over 130 pages, I think an experienced eye could manage this in one or two sessions, and would be better for it. I thought the story would make a good half-hour comedy drama for TV or radio; it’s the kind of situation humour that’s sketched out around a handful of running gags; the bad food, the unsuitability of each character for his assigned specialism, the question of fiancées, and the number 153.

That’s not to say I d
Nikki
It is difficult to sustain parody through the length of a novel, even a short (171 pages) one such as The Ascent of Rum Doodle. Yes W. E. Bowman's subtle humor seldom palls and indeed the book grows funnier the further one reads.
The Ascent of Rum Doodle purports to be a report of a British mountain-climbing expedition, and the tone is perfect. Although it was published not long after the conquest of Everest by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay, it is said to have been inspired by an earlier
Arunn Narasimhan
A farce and a parody (of course, on mountain climbing) mixed disproportionately, resulting in being neither in the end, but providing few good laughs throughout. The books is a forgotten classic, the only one from the author it seems, with the surviving copy obtained from his wife by Bill Bryson for making a reprint. Certainly worth a read for that effort by Bill for whom the book was a childhood delight.
Teresa
I'm not sure that my review could do this book justice. The quote by Bill Bryson is the on that sums it up for me. "One of the funniest books you will ever read." That is a pretty bold statement and I was skeptical. However, I laughed out loud in about every chapter. Although it's written about a mountain climbing event, it absolutely pertains to any team or committee pursuit. Having the "photographs" and "real life" drawings in the middle just as though it was a true documentary made it even fu ...more
Angela
It is January 11th and I know that this is the funniest book I will read all year. Very very clever and as funny now as it was when it was first published in the 1950's. How this isn't celebrated as one of the all time classics I'll never know. I will be recommending it to everyone I know and boring people with excerpts to convince them of just how funny it is.
Hannah
I wish I could say I loved this book. It's silly in the very best sense, has superb characterisation and is just a lot of fun. But somehow it's lacking a bit of bite or substance that would make it a fabulous book, in my opinion.

Still very much a book I think more people should have read though.
Rory Smith
Funny, there were several moments were I collapsed into a fit of giggles. Several jokes will be shamelessly stolen for my next hiking trip! Especially liked the bit about Scotland. Probably more mad than comedic, but still a good read. Suffers a little from being over hyped.
  • Augustus Carp, Esq. By Himself Being The Autobiography Of A Really Good Man
  • The Adventures of Gil Blas
  • The History Man
  • The Unbearable Bassington
  • White Man Falling
The Ascent of Rum Doodle and The Cruise of the Talking Fish The Ascent Of Rum Doodle The Cruise of the Talking Fish