Start by marking “A Black Englishman” as Want to Read:
A Black Englishman

A Black Englishman

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  45 reviews
India, 1920: exotic, glamorous, and painfully wrenching away from England's colonial grip, only to be thrown into ethnic violence and terrorism. Isabel, a young woman in search of herself and in flight from the ravages of the Great War, is thrust headlong into a passionate and dangerous liaison with Sam, an Indian doctor and a graduate of Oxford University who insists, aga ...more
Hardcover
Published November 24th 2004 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about A Black Englishman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Black Englishman

Julia Mukuddem
oh, how i absolutely loved this book. i felt emotionally drained when i finished it this morning.

initially i thought it was maybe going to be too much of a love story, as i don't enjoy the typical love story. something made me want to continue reading ... the author writes so beautifully. i personally don't enjoy paragraphs that are too long - words filling up the whole page without much dialogue and breaks. i tend to skip over a few words or sentences if this happens, but with this book i want
Sooraj Subramaniam
It wasn't love at first sight - the detail of the first few pages meandered through a dreary path: too much richness felt as though nothing truly important or interesting was happening. The slow start, however, merely sets the tone for a compelling read ahead. Seemingly unbelievably stilted characters give way to candid obliqueness and honesty - I found resonance with this complexity.

The narrative is simply written and easy to follow. The metaphors, while intricate, were a little to the right of
Nicola
Enjoyed the story overall, even tho it's not my usual sort of read. Lots of history of India and the customs of the raj during the ealry 1920's. The author has a way of making the scene very real and you can almost feel the humidity! I found the writing to be a bit of-putting. Embedded conversation made it difficult to read, and a few more paragraphs would have helped - but that is my opinion! Other members of my book club loved the writing style.
Ana
This is one of the most beautiful love stories I have ever read. I love the lovers who transcend love and create this amazing tapestry of emotion and hope that really drew me into their lives and inspired me.
Ron Ice
Aug 18, 2007 Ron Ice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hopeless romantics
The stupidity of racism
Rita Monticelli
Scroll down for the English version

Un quasi impossibile incontro tra culture

Questo libro viene descritto in maniera un po’ fuorviante ed è stato solo dopo aver letto altre recensioni che ho deciso di leggerlo. Non si tratta affatto del solito romanzo rosa, e non è affatto caratterizzato da un’impronta erotica in senso stretto (nelle scene mostrate i protagonisti non fanno che parlare!), è bensì una storia di incontro tra due culture estremamente diverse ambientata oltre novant’anni fa, con tutte
Carmen
Set in India in the 1920's, this story is a combination of adventure and romance. Isabel lost her love in the first world war. She decided to gamble on adventure and not on love, so she married an Army guy whom she barely knew because he was stationed in India. Her father had lived in India as a child, and she needed something new in life. Immediately upon her arrival she is struck by how rigid the English Army society is. The list of things she could not do as a woman has multiplied astronomica ...more
Sophie Martin
Bellissimo!!!
Un romanzo suggestivo colmo di ogni sfumatura di bellezza, e degli orrori dell'India del 1920. Una storia d'amore meravigliosa e commovente, contrastata da ingiustizie razziali, politiche, ma soprattutto umane.
Un libro che tocca l'anima, da leggere assolutamente.
Therese
Beautifully descriptive writing. Such vivid imagery of India, both the squalor and the beauty. Skipped the few graphically violent pages. Loved the final scene.
Staci
This book didn’t make an instant fan out of me – I thought the storyline was a bit weak but Slaughter filled in the gaps and kept me intrigued with her exquisite skill in description. She painted such a vivid, colorful image of the characters, wardrobes, and settings that I eventually came to realize the details were as much a character in the story as any of the human characters, perhaps even more so. I came to like the characters and even love one of them. I may not have been captivated right ...more
Julie Rand
What a wonderful book!!!! I loved the way Slaughter described India in the 1920s; and her take on a period of turmoil as the English empire came to an end in India is fascinating. The romance between Isabel, an Englishwoman, and Sam, an Indian doctor educated in England brings out many of the issues of the day involving colonialism, racism, sexism, and political change. It's a great story and her writing is superb. It would make a great book club selection with lots of themes to discuss. I will ...more
Nerdgirl36
A classic story of forbidden love, a wealthy englishwoman in India despises her brutish military husband and falls for a refined Oxford educated Indian doctor in the early part of the twentieth century. The novel provoked very vivid images of life and attitudes in that time. Very moving images portrayed of attitudes toward minorities (including women) in that time. The landscape is lush and contstantly changing. The trials that the lovers face are of course overcome at the end. An emotional read ...more
Pamela Pickering
A very interesting story about gender roles and rights, politics, and cultural clashes in colonial India around WWI. An English woman married to an English soldier (it was the thing to do) moves to India and finds her great romance. Her great romance is with both an Indian man and India itself. Very entertaining and well written. My only complaint would be that it is one of those publications that does not use quotation marks but I did not notice it as much in this story as I have others.
Lisa Rich
Jan 13, 2008 Lisa Rich rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Marguerite Richards
A love story about a Welsh girl who marries a British soldier and goes to live in India in the final days of British rule. After the failure of her marriage she falls in love with an Indian doctor who has been educated in England and the book is about the difficulties they face as a couple...one white and one black in India . Beautifully written and interesting in what it says about women and how they were treated in India at that time.
Cats 274
Many things are being taken for granted if you're white and born in Europe. A Black Englishman makes one think hard about so many of the amenities that we have. It is a novel, but a demanding one, of a kind that puts questions in front of a reader and then answers with giving more questions.

And although the typeface used to print my book is ridiculously small, I'm really glad I made an effort and pushed past first few pages.
Bachyboy
This took me a while to get into but I really enjoyed this story of Isabel who marries and goes to India after WW1. Nothing is the same after she meets Sam the Indian doctor. It is full of the history of India at that time before independence which makes it really interesting. One gripe; why would a good editor let through the word 'chuffed'the mouth of an Edwardian character. How picky am I :)
Christy
I gave up on it. IMO, the summary is false advertising (or good marketing). I found the writing very average, the story a bit anemic, and Isabel annoying. Even the dramatic events in this novel are not delivered in a way that elicits an emotional response from the reader. Overall, a bit of a yawn, when I have more interesting reads waiting on my shelf. Not worth my time.
Beth
A very tragic story but so interesting. Takes place in India during the time of the Raj.
Lynn
If there were 3 1/2 stars I would have given it that rating. I found myself remembering studying India in Social Studies in Grade 6. I had forgotten about Ghandi and the religious unrest at during that time period. I was happy to learn what I learned :) I would never have chosen this book myself and I am glad I picked it up and finished it.
Marie
Dec 07, 2008 Marie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in India or in stories set in other countries
The author reimagined the tragic life of her own grandmother, who lived in India as an independent-minded young woman and fell in love with a British-educated Indian doctor. Full of gender and racial politics, and the dark strife during the time of the Raj in India, it was a satisfying, adventurous story of star-crossed lovers.
Danii
I wasn't sure if I would like this, but after the first two chapters I was hooked - you really get to love the main characters and feel like you are in India! There are a couple of violent descriptions but I think at the time, those things would have happened. Here's to strong heroines in the 1920s :-)
Adri
Extremely well-written. The story draws one in and makes one feel the emotions, suffering, joy, of the characters. Stories likes these fill me with horror though thinking that we have the right, nay the obligation to 'civilise' to 'educate' and interfere where in fact we have no right to be.
Emily
I really enjoyed this poco novel. Set at the fall of the british empire, it's a romance/journey/struggle that is probably a bit too relationship-y to teach in class, but it was the first novel I've read in awhile, and worth it!

Picked it up at Hodges Figgis in Dublin for 3 Euro 99.
Carla Anderson
It took me just a few pages to get into this book and then I was off. The history and story line kept me hooked in and I found it enthralling. I had never heard of this book before it was a selection in our bookclub. So glad I got to read it.
Karen
The author's style is nicely unique. A measured cadence. I happen to love colonial literature. This book is largely a love story. Smaller amount of historicism. Not a must-read but I did look forward to picking it up each time.
deena kirk
This book was so sensual. The description of food, fabric, cultural realities, and love were invigorating. I loved it. I would truly rate this book as 4 1/2 stars.
Dana O'brien
Jan 26, 2008 Dana O'brien rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hopeless romantics
A tale of forbidden romance between an Engish educated Indian doctor and the wife of a British soldier stationed in India in the 1920's - loved this book.
Overall rather affecting, but it also seemed to veer weirdly from harlequin romance to scenes of horrific violence. Still an interesting read.
flajol
I often felt the author lost touch with the era in which the book is set. Some of the descriptions of people and situation just felt too modern.
Fritz
Loved this book. Set in India, a love story between a woman from Wales and an Indian doctor who was educated in Britain. Based on a true story.
  • Not Yet Drown'd: A Novel
  • Ragtime in Simla (Joe Sandilands #2)
  • A Prisoner of Versailles (Darkness to Light, #2)
  • Love Marriage
  • Steer Toward Rock
  • To the Heart of the Nile: Lady Florence Baker and the Exploration of Central Africa
  • Olivia And Jai
  • Sand Daughter
  • The Page Turner
  • The Sun in the Morning: My Early Years in India and England
  • Blue Jasmine
Before the Knife: Memories of an African Childhood Relations Dreams of the Kalahari Dresden, Tennessee The Innocents