Start by marking “A Black Englishman” as Want to Read:
A Black Englishman

A Black Englishman

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  275 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
India, 1920: exotic, glamorous, and painfully wrenching away from England's colonial grip, only to be thrown into ethnic violence and terrorism. Isabel, a young woman in search of herself and in flight from the ravages of the Great War, is thrust headlong into a passionate and dangerous liaison with Sam, an Indian doctor and a graduate of Oxford University who insists, aga ...more
Hardcover
Published November 24th 2004 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about A Black Englishman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Black Englishman

Julia Grundling
Sep 15, 2013 Julia Grundling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oh, how i absolutely loved this book. i felt emotionally drained when i finished it this morning.

initially i thought it was maybe going to be too much of a love story, as i don't enjoy the typical love story. something made me want to continue reading ... the author writes so beautifully. i personally don't enjoy paragraphs that are too long - words filling up the whole page without much dialogue and breaks. i tend to skip over a few words or sentences if this happens, but with this book i want
Nicola
Jul 17, 2011 Nicola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the story overall, even tho it's not my usual sort of read. Lots of history of India and the customs of the raj during the ealry 1920's. The author has a way of making the scene very real and you can almost feel the humidity! I found the writing to be a bit of-putting. Embedded conversation made it difficult to read, and a few more paragraphs would have helped - but that is my opinion! Other members of my book club loved the writing style.
Sooraj Subramaniam
It wasn't love at first sight - the detail of the first few pages meandered through a dreary path: too much richness felt as though nothing truly important or interesting was happening. The slow start, however, merely sets the tone for a compelling read ahead. Seemingly unbelievably stilted characters give way to candid obliqueness and honesty - I found resonance with this complexity.

The narrative is simply written and easy to follow. The metaphors, while intricate, were a little to the right of
Lauren
Jul 03, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The descriptions of India during the fall of the British Empire are fascinating, with enough historical detail to be informative but without taking away from the core story. At times the novel feels a bit disjointed, skipping over months and moving hundreds of miles across the subcontinent, but its other strengths outweigh this weakness. The complicated feelings the main characters have about race and identity were explored thoroughly without being resolved or exp ...more
Cats 274
Oct 19, 2012 Cats 274 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many things are being taken for granted if you're white and born in Europe. A Black Englishman makes one think hard about so many of the amenities that we have. It is a novel, but a demanding one, of a kind that puts questions in front of a reader and then answers with giving more questions.

And although the typeface used to print my book is ridiculously small, I'm really glad I made an effort and pushed past first few pages.
Jaki
Jul 14, 2015 Jaki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the strongest plotting, not the best writing style, but the places and characters come alive. Also, touches on several interesting issues and historical moments—the inspiration from the author's grandmother's unhappy ending to create this piece of historical fiction is particularly fascinating.
Ana
May 16, 2009 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most beautiful love stories I have ever read. I love the lovers who transcend love and create this amazing tapestry of emotion and hope that really drew me into their lives and inspired me.
Ron Ice
Aug 18, 2007 Ron Ice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hopeless romantics
The stupidity of racism
Rita Monticelli
Scroll down for the English version

Un quasi impossibile incontro tra culture

Questo libro viene descritto in maniera un po’ fuorviante ed è stato solo dopo aver letto altre recensioni che ho deciso di leggerlo. Non si tratta affatto del solito romanzo rosa, e non è affatto caratterizzato da un’impronta erotica in senso stretto (nelle scene mostrate i protagonisti non fanno che parlare!), è bensì una storia di incontro tra due culture estremamente diverse ambientata oltre novant’anni fa, con tutte
Valentina Morgana la fata
Direi che gli do tre stelle anche se sono abbastanza indecisa.
Questo libro è stato molto controverso, la trama di per se era molto bella e le descrizioni dell'India ti facevano trattenere il fiato e venire le lacrime agli occhi per tanta bellezza, quasi che l'amore dell'autrice per quel paese si fosse trasmesso al lettore attraverso quelle parole.
Però...eh si c'è il però: la totale mancanza di dialoghi e di punteggiatura che indicasse quando i personaggi parlavano l'uno con l'altra mi ha totalme
Carmen
Jun 20, 2012 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in India in the 1920's, this story is a combination of adventure and romance. Isabel lost her love in the first world war. She decided to gamble on adventure and not on love, so she married an Army guy whom she barely knew because he was stationed in India. Her father had lived in India as a child, and she needed something new in life. Immediately upon her arrival she is struck by how rigid the English Army society is. The list of things she could not do as a woman has multiplied astronomica ...more
Jennie
Feb 14, 2015 Jennie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because someone raved about it somewhere. Enjoyed some of the detailed descriptions of the cities, towns, provinces, countrysides, and the few historical components, but didn't buy the story at all. Makes me want to read an actual history of the British Empire in India though, which I haven't done since college and, well, that was a long time ago!
Sophie Martin
Sep 03, 2014 Sophie Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bellissimo!!!
Un romanzo suggestivo colmo di ogni sfumatura di bellezza, e degli orrori dell'India del 1920. Una storia d'amore meravigliosa e commovente, contrastata da ingiustizie razziali, politiche, ma soprattutto umane.
Un libro che tocca l'anima, da leggere assolutamente.
Therese
Jun 16, 2014 Therese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully descriptive writing. Such vivid imagery of India, both the squalor and the beauty. Skipped the few graphically violent pages. Loved the final scene.
Staci
Apr 27, 2012 Staci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book didn’t make an instant fan out of me – I thought the storyline was a bit weak but Slaughter filled in the gaps and kept me intrigued with her exquisite skill in description. She painted such a vivid, colorful image of the characters, wardrobes, and settings that I eventually came to realize the details were as much a character in the story as any of the human characters, perhaps even more so. I came to like the characters and even love one of them. I may not have been captivated right ...more
Julie Rand
Sep 05, 2014 Julie Rand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book!!!! I loved the way Slaughter described India in the 1920s; and her take on a period of turmoil as the English empire came to an end in India is fascinating. The romance between Isabel, an Englishwoman, and Sam, an Indian doctor educated in England brings out many of the issues of the day involving colonialism, racism, sexism, and political change. It's a great story and her writing is superb. It would make a great book club selection with lots of themes to discuss. I will ...more
Nerdgirl36
Dec 21, 2009 Nerdgirl36 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic story of forbidden love, a wealthy englishwoman in India despises her brutish military husband and falls for a refined Oxford educated Indian doctor in the early part of the twentieth century. The novel provoked very vivid images of life and attitudes in that time. Very moving images portrayed of attitudes toward minorities (including women) in that time. The landscape is lush and contstantly changing. The trials that the lovers face are of course overcome at the end. An emotional read ...more
Pamela Pickering
A very interesting story about gender roles and rights, politics, and cultural clashes in colonial India around WWI. An English woman married to an English soldier (it was the thing to do) moves to India and finds her great romance. Her great romance is with both an Indian man and India itself. Very entertaining and well written. My only complaint would be that it is one of those publications that does not use quotation marks but I did not notice it as much in this story as I have others.
Lisa Rich
Jan 13, 2008 Lisa Rich rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Marguerite Richards
A love story about a Welsh girl who marries a British soldier and goes to live in India in the final days of British rule. After the failure of her marriage she falls in love with an Indian doctor who has been educated in England and the book is about the difficulties they face as a couple...one white and one black in India . Beautifully written and interesting in what it says about women and how they were treated in India at that time.
Bachyboy
Mar 09, 2009 Bachyboy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took me a while to get into but I really enjoyed this story of Isabel who marries and goes to India after WW1. Nothing is the same after she meets Sam the Indian doctor. It is full of the history of India at that time before independence which makes it really interesting. One gripe; why would a good editor let through the word 'chuffed'the mouth of an Edwardian character. How picky am I :)
Christy
Mar 12, 2009 Christy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave up on it. IMO, the summary is false advertising (or good marketing). I found the writing very average, the story a bit anemic, and Isabel annoying. Even the dramatic events in this novel are not delivered in a way that elicits an emotional response from the reader. Overall, a bit of a yawn, when I have more interesting reads waiting on my shelf. Not worth my time.
Beth
A very tragic story but so interesting. Takes place in India during the time of the Raj.
Lynn
Mar 27, 2010 Lynn rated it liked it
If there were 3 1/2 stars I would have given it that rating. I found myself remembering studying India in Social Studies in Grade 6. I had forgotten about Ghandi and the religious unrest at during that time period. I was happy to learn what I learned :) I would never have chosen this book myself and I am glad I picked it up and finished it.
Marie
Dec 07, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in India or in stories set in other countries
The author reimagined the tragic life of her own grandmother, who lived in India as an independent-minded young woman and fell in love with a British-educated Indian doctor. Full of gender and racial politics, and the dark strife during the time of the Raj in India, it was a satisfying, adventurous story of star-crossed lovers.
Danii
Jun 23, 2012 Danii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if I would like this, but after the first two chapters I was hooked - you really get to love the main characters and feel like you are in India! There are a couple of violent descriptions but I think at the time, those things would have happened. Here's to strong heroines in the 1920s :-)
Adri
Mar 07, 2012 Adri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well-written. The story draws one in and makes one feel the emotions, suffering, joy, of the characters. Stories likes these fill me with horror though thinking that we have the right, nay the obligation to 'civilise' to 'educate' and interfere where in fact we have no right to be.
Emily
Aug 19, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this poco novel. Set at the fall of the british empire, it's a romance/journey/struggle that is probably a bit too relationship-y to teach in class, but it was the first novel I've read in awhile, and worth it!

Picked it up at Hodges Figgis in Dublin for 3 Euro 99.
Carla Anderson
Nov 24, 2009 Carla Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me just a few pages to get into this book and then I was off. The history and story line kept me hooked in and I found it enthralling. I had never heard of this book before it was a selection in our bookclub. So glad I got to read it.
Karen
Nov 28, 2009 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author's style is nicely unique. A measured cadence. I happen to love colonial literature. This book is largely a love story. Smaller amount of historicism. Not a must-read but I did look forward to picking it up each time.
deena kirk
Nov 23, 2008 deena kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so sensual. The description of food, fabric, cultural realities, and love were invigorating. I loved it. I would truly rate this book as 4 1/2 stars.
  • Not Yet Drown'd: A Novel
  • The Widow's Tale
  • Ragtime in Simla (Joe Sandilands #2)
  • Man of Honour (Jack Steel, #1)
  • Steer Toward Rock
  • Collision
  • Company of Spears (Matthew Hervey, #8)
  • The Sun in the Morning: My Early Years in India and England
  • To the Heart of the Nile: Lady Florence Baker and the Exploration of Central Africa
  • Blue Jasmine