Start by marking “This Is the Rain” as Want to Read:

Water,
Where does it
come from?
Where does it go?
Published August 7th 2001 by National Geographic School Publishing (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about This Is the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is the Rain

Lisa Vegan
Apr 17, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.

The illustrations are remarkably striking and unusual, and I just loved them.

The sort of cumulative story, told in rhyme, tells about the life cycle of water on earth through history and in the present, and there is a short description in the back: “The Water Cycle on the Planet Earth.” It’s basically a non-fiction book but it reads like fiction, and it can be enjoyed by both very young children and school aged children.
Dana Still
Feb 22, 2015 Dana Still rated it really liked it
Twin text: This book would be a great pairing with Watch over our Water by Lisa Bullard. This book is full of wonderful illustrations and is written as a poem. The book talks about the water cycle with rhyming. The twin text book talks about keeping our water clean both work well together as one talks about how our water is around and has been around for thousands of years, keeping it clean is important to us and our future generations.
Mikayla Baker
Mar 16, 2016 Mikayla Baker rated it really liked it
Where does the water come from? It begins in the ocean, which the sun warm. Then vapor comes up into the sky. The gray clouds hold the vapor, which it the rain. The rain lands in many different places on earth.

This book was cute. I like the way it took you through the water cycle with a rhyme.

I would use this book to help kids understand the water cycle. It takes it down to younger kids levels.
Arlen
A classic moment of youth, retold via a wonderful relationship between a wise grandfather and a brave grandson. With exquisitely beautiful artwork to boot! This grandfather is a master at allowing his grandson to make the discoveries...
Diana Thomsen
Feb 04, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime
I'm not a big fan of "House that Jack Built" sort of stories, and this is no exception. And the art style, while creative, really didn't appeal to me at all.
Carol Jen
Mar 26, 2014 Carol Jen rated it really liked it
I think this will be a great addition to my April Showers bring May Flowers storytime. Bright illustrations with a basic explanation of the water cycle.
Tanya
Jun 18, 2015 Tanya rated it really liked it
I like the illustrations and how everything rhymes. Could see reading this to 1st or 2nd grade class.
Christie Angleton
May 17, 2014 Christie Angleton rated it did not like it
This would have been lovely if it weren't for the gut-wrenchingly awful illustrations.
Meg McGregor
Sep 17, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
I enjoyed the repetitive rhyme in this book.

This book explains the rain cycle to children.

Even though the text may get confusing this book is a great attempt at such a difficult subject for most little ones to grasp.

This book is suited better for older readers but the pictures will hold a little one's attention.
Jessica Vu
Great book for weather/science. Helps children to understand the water cycle. Have children write about all the things they can do with water.

Rhyming

Sequencing the cycle

Interesting pictures
Michele
Jul 15, 2012 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, colorful picture book about the water cycle. Paints a good picture, due to great illustrations and even better text. Good for really young kids such as kindergarten or first grade.
Kim Foy
Feb 19, 2012 Kim Foy rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, science
This is a wonderful depiction of the water cycle and what happens to rain once it falls from the sky. Children will enjoy these colorful illustrations.
Jennifer (sullivan)
May 03, 2011 Jennifer (sullivan) rated it liked it
Genre: Picture Book/Poetry

This book is a good read for children trying to understand what weather is and how rain is formed
Jeri
Mar 31, 2008 Jeri rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Pictures are abstract...I like prettier pictures, but it has a good, rhyming way to tell the life cycle of water.
Conquering Dinner
Sep 09, 2013 Conquering Dinner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, water, rain
A fantastic book to introduce the concept of a water cycle to preschoolers.
John
Aug 25, 2009 John added it
Good for storytimes due to design!
Krug
Krug added it
Aug 14, 2016
Holly
Holly added it
Apr 26, 2016
Justine Goeden
Justine Goeden rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Andréa
Andréa rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2016
Christian McKay
Christian McKay rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016