Start by marking “How to be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life” as Want to Read:
How to be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life

How to be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,282 ratings  ·  112 reviews
"Living is like tearing through a museum. Not until later do you really start absorbing what you saw, thinking about it, looking it up in a book and remembering- because you can’t take it all in at once." —Audrey HepburnOn many occasions, she was approached to pen her autobiography, the definitive book of Audrey Hepburn, yet she never agreed. A beloved icon who found succe ...more
Published June 3rd 2004 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about How to be Lovely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to be Lovely

When the pressure of a book deadline pushes my nerves to the breaking point I do what many writers do: I shop at and Amazon for used how-to books on crafts I'm never going to learn, fantasizing about all the time I'm going to have post-deadline to work the other side of my brain and attempting through it all to make constructive plans for the sense of disorientation that tends to follow the completion of a long, intense writing project.

While gazing at postal art books this time arou
I AM & Always will be a Fan of Audrey Hepburn!I own just about EVERY movie she was in & just about every BOOK written about her.I keep a photo of her on my writing this book is an addition to my Collection of all Things Audrey.This book entails her thoughts on subjects that are dear to my heart_Happiness,Success,Love,Style..etc.May the light she shared with the world shine on in the lives of those of us she continues to inspire!Love Her!!!!!
هر چه چيزي را بيشتر دوست داشته باشي، بيشتر نگران از دست دادنش هستي، چون مي داني ممكن است همه چيز تغيير كند.

بهترين چيزي كه در زندگي بهتر است نگهش داريم يكديگر است.

راهنماي دوست داشتني بودن به روش آدري هپبورن / مليسا هلسترن / ترجمه ي ياسمن رضايي / انتشارات ميلكان
Women adore Audrey: her looks, figure, and sense of style. But not many people know that, beneath the glamor is someone who is very much like us. Audrey however embraces her introverted self and insecurities by 'winging it' as an actress. Author Melissa Hellstern packages the best of Audrey's advice, her pictures, and quotes into a book that can be read in one sitting--perhaps over and over again.
Audrey taught us that being a woman is as simple as knowing who you are, and who you are not.

This a wonderfully short book filled with pictures and quotes of who truly was one of the most remarkable women of our time. Her outlook on life is one to aspire to. Through her experiences in WW2 she learns at a young age to appreciate life and be thankful for every day God has given her. When asked about that time she says "It made me resilient and terribly appreciative for everything good that came a
A great collection of quotes, both by Audrey Hepburn and others who knew her. The pictures were so-so, but you can find great photos of Audrey elsewhere. I loved this quote in particular from the New York Times following Audrey's death:

"Nearly forty yeras later Audrey Hepburn's face was that of someone who'd squinted into the sun, laughed a few laughs, shed a few tears. The forehead showed some wrinkles, the eyes showed some more, and the strong jawline was softening around the edges.

As unwillin
Audrey Hepburn is my idol and I absolutely adore her. This book was filled with all of her quotes about life and pictures that prove that what she said was real. Some of her advice to the public makes me really confident and I hope that everyone will feel the same way when they read it.
Sirpa Grierson
A gift from my daughter, this is a book of snippets including quotations by Audrey set apart by photographs. Not really an autobiography, rather this might be considered a little book of wisdom on how to live graciously. For me, watching old movies starring either of the Hepburns--Katharine or Audrey--was a tutorial on learning to live one's life in an authentic way. They were as different as could be in personality, yet both had an impact upon me as an impressionable young girl. In an era when ...more
Reyhane noori
به قولِ آدرى::
"بهترين چيزى كه در زندگى بهتر است نگهش داريم يكديگر است."
به نظرم يكى از قشنگترين جمله هاى كتاب بود
كتاب را پدرم به من هديه دادند و اولش برايم نوشته اند :بعد از خواندن كتاب
مى فهمى انسان بودن اصل همه چيزه.
Brenton got this book for my 25th birthday. It is wonderful! It's a small biography, but mostly focuses on what made Audrey so, well, Audrey! It has direct quotes from her, fabulous photos, and quotes from many celebrities who worked with her. I loved hearing their perceptions of Audrey. Most of them said there really was something special about her, and that she really lived a higher standard of life than most celebrities. I've read it several times now when I just need a boost of Audrey charm ...more
Kelly Hager
This book is basically full of Audrey Hepburn quotes (mostly by her, but a few are by her friends and family). There are a few biographical notes, but not very many.

It's probably not very surprising, then, that after reading this, all I wanted to do was watch Sabrina. (Yes, I know everyone's favorite is either Breakfast at Tiffany's or Roman Holiday or My Fair Lady, but mine's Sabrina.)

I know a lot of people feel this way, but I absolutely love Audrey Hepburn. (Probably second only to my love of
An overview of the philosophies of living a happy life and a general biography of Audrey. After reading this, I have learned that she has overcome many struggles such as the loss of her father, the trauma of war, miscarriages and failed marriages but in spite of that, she manages to overcome these adversities and let us remember her not for these events but for her elegance, style and strength of character. One of the most influential people to me.
riley !!
Ahh I love this book. I adore Audrey Hepburn as she is my rolemodel, and in a similar context, my queen.
She lived life in the most beautiful way possible, and achieved happiness in health and short memory.
I wish more people resembled her today, and not tried to be someone that you cannot be, but more so try to seek out the great things about yourself, because you're worth it. And you're great. And the world will always see more in you than you see in itself.

Audrey Hepburn has taught me that l
Jul 17, 2011 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: love
I've always loved Audrey Hepburn, I've got a poster of her in my room and several of her movies.
This book made me appreciate her that much more. It took me through her life, and her take on things. It was fan-freaking-tastic.
Audrey Hepburn has always been one of my idols, and this book just solidifies that in a way I didn't think of before.
This was a charming collection of photographs and quotes/fun facts of Audrey Hepburn. I enjoyed it as it was simple and short yet still inspiring. It doesn't give you much information about her life other than a few stories and personality traits. A gorgeous collection though and perfect for a coffee table!
Audrey Hepburn is my all-time favourite personality and to me, she represents all that a woman could be. The book contains a lot of wonderful quotes from her, which are the continuous inspirations she shares with the world. The bonus of the book is the beautiful black-and-white pictures of her.
This is one of my favorite books. It is put together in a very charming way, with quotes from Audrey & great stories about her told by friends. Every woman should have this book on her shelf to reference.
I will start by saying that I am a big fan of Audrey Hepburn, and I always enjoy learning more about her; but this book was mediocre at best.

It is a collection of quotes, which the author has attempted to categorize in the hopes of teaching one how to become Audrey-like. Unfortunately, most of the time I didn't really see the relevance of the quote to the category, or there were contradicting ideas in the quotes, or the quote was just uninteresting; and the authors introductory commentary to ea
Erin Horner
I went into this book not knowing very much about Audrey Hepburn besides her being an actress and I found this book really an inspiration, I was really surprised to find out that she was a really insecure, reserved person who'd much rather be by herself, I didn't expect that at all. Her quotes were so true and so helpful, therefore I could relate to lots of it which is always a bonus!! I also really love how she didn't take her fame for granted and did take time to help others in need, she was w ...more
This slim book gives little tidbits of Hepburn's history in the form of anecdotes and quotes from Hepburn and people who knew her, along with many photographs exhibiting her uncanny and unusual sense of style. Audrey Hepburn was an amazing person who lived her life to fullest and always made time to care for others. She is a fantastic role model for a woman of any age.
4,5 Estrellitas, sólo porque no sale su célebre frase:
"Para tener ojos bonitos, busca lo bueno en los demás; para tener labios hermosos, di sólo palabras de bondad, y para tener equilibrio, camina con la certeza de que nunca estás solo."

Me gustó muchísimo este libro que es una recopilación de entrevistas, frases, etc. Es un libro inspirador, creo que lo he llenado de post-it, me ha fascinado todo, habían algunas cosas que no sabía de Audrey que es uno de mis mayores ídolos.

Y como bonus otra de m
Robyn Horn
I thought this was mediocre at best--I've read far better books on Audrey and how stylish and elegant she was. This wasn't anything to write home about. If I had to sum up my thoughts in two words: Skip it.
I just love Audrey Hepburn, and this was a fun read! I loved the little bit of history, the pictures, and reading her own words about certain topics. She was a beautiful lady, inside and out.
R.H. Ali
Such an inspirational read. Especially when you begin doubting yourself, that's the time you just need to "get on with it." Many lessons to be learned from the way Audrey Hepburn lived her life.
A compilation of inspiring quotes from/about Audrey tied together by generalized commentary from the author. Not a compelling story, but a great insight into Audrey Hepburn's life.
As a huge Audrey Hepburn fan, I thoroughly enjoyed this little book! An amazing assortment of pictures and great information about a truly incredible icon!
Kaneyoshi Shikaku
I read through this very quickly and instantly loved it. It wasn't so long and nor was it so short. The thing that I loved the most was that there were a lot of quotes from Audrey about various viewpoints and many comments about her from other people who knew her.

The pictures were lovely as well because they captured many different dimensions that I hadn't thought about her character before.

The only thing that bothered me were the random quotes by other people that had nothing to do with Audrey
So lovely indeed! Literally picked up this book because of the title (lovely is my favorite word) and Audrey Hepburn's beautiful face.

I almost want to give it five stars, enjoyable and informative book as it was, but that feels a little odd for something like this. It's mostly quotes, quotes and pictures of Audrey Hepburn, and a fun biography of her that is not really a biography, and I found it charming and thoroughly enjoyable. I love her (and also Katherine Hepburn, and the rat pack, and enjo
Beautiful portrait of Audrey"s life and philosophies. Short, easy read, really enjoyed it.
  • The Audrey Hepburn Treasures
  • Audrey: A Life in Pictures
  • Audrey Hepburn's Enchanted Tales
  • Audrey Hepburn: Fair Lady of the Screen
  • Audrey: Her Real Story
  • How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World: The Art of Living with Style, Class, and Grace
  • Audrey in Rome
  • The Breakfast at Tiffany's Companion
  • Audrey Hepburn: A Biography
  • What Would Jackie Do?: An Inspired Guide to Distinctive Living
  • Audrey 100

“To follow, without halt, one aim: There’s the secret of success.” -Anna Pavlova” 1 likes
“The most important thing is to enjoy your life—to be happy— that’s all that matters.” 1 likes