Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “How to be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life” as Want to Read:
How to be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

How to be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,457 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
"Living is like tearing through a museum. Not until later do you really start absorbing what you saw, thinking about it, looking it up in a book and remembering- because you can’t take it all in at once." —Audrey HepburnOn many occasions, she was approached to pen her autobiography, the definitive book of Audrey Hepburn, yet she never agreed. A beloved icon who found succe ...more
Hardcover, 208 pages
Published June 3rd 2004 by Dutton
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about How to be Lovely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to be Lovely

Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit by Sean Hepburn FerrerAudrey Hepburn by Barry ParisHow to be Lovely by Melissa HellsternAudrey Hepburn by Diana MaychickEnchantment by Donald Spoto
Audrey Hepburn
3rd out of 30 books — 3 voters
The Lost Symbol by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownNotes from a Small Island by Bill BrysonOutlander by Diana GabaldonA Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
Books Recently Finished
26th out of 31 books — 5 voters


More lists with this book...

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 3,000)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Rana Heshmati
اوه، آدری عزیزم...
کاملا مشخص بود که زیبایی و برازندگی ات، همه سرچشمه در روح بلندت دارند... و حالا از این موضوع تقریباً مطمئنم.
" همه مان می خواهیم دوست داشته شویم، این طور نیست؟ هر کسی دنبال راهی است تا عشق زا پیدا کند: جستجوی پایداری که در هر قدم از زندگی دنبال عطوفت است."

" آخر، هرچه چیزی را بیشتر دوست داشته باشی، بیشتر نگران از دست دادنش هستی، چون می دانی ممکن است همه چیز تغییر کند."

"بهترین چیزی که در زندگی بهتر است نگهش داریم یکدیگر است."

" مهم نیست چطور دوست پیدا می کنی؛ مهم این است که دوست ها
...more
Kathryn
Dec 04, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
When the pressure of a book deadline pushes my nerves to the breaking point I do what many writers do: I shop at AbeBooks.com and Amazon for used how-to books on crafts I'm never going to learn, fantasizing about all the time I'm going to have post-deadline to work the other side of my brain and attempting through it all to make constructive plans for the sense of disorientation that tends to follow the completion of a long, intense writing project.

While gazing at postal art books this time arou
...more
Pam
Sep 24, 2011 Pam rated it it was amazing
I AM & Always will be a Fan of Audrey Hepburn!I own just about EVERY movie she was in & just about every BOOK written about her.I keep a photo of her on my writing Desk..so this book is an addition to my Collection of all Things Audrey.This book entails her thoughts on subjects that are dear to my heart_Happiness,Success,Love,Style..etc.May the light she shared with the world shine on in the lives of those of us she continues to inspire!Love Her!!!!!
nigo0ol
Feb 21, 2016 nigo0ol rated it really liked it
بزرگترین پیروزیزندگی ام این بود که توانستم با خودم زندگی کنم، کمبودهای خودم و دیگران را بپذیرم. از آنچه دوست دارم باشم خیلی دورم، اما بلاخره به این نتیجه رسیده ام که آنقدرها هم بد نیستم.


وقتی کسی را نداشته باشی، میتوانی یک فنجان چایی درست کنی. اما وقتی کسی بهت احتیاج ندارد، زندگی تمام میشود...
پ.ن: کتابی جذاب که خوندنش کلی حس خوب میده به آدم
Soha
Oct 11, 2015 Soha rated it really liked it
هر چه چيزي را بيشتر دوست داشته باشي، بيشتر نگران از دست دادنش هستي، چون مي داني ممكن است همه چيز تغيير كند.

بهترين چيزي كه در زندگي بهتر است نگهش داريم يكديگر است.

_________________

راهنماي دوست داشتني بودن به روش آدري هپبورن / مليسا هلسترن / ترجمه ي ياسمن رضايي / انتشارات ميلكان
Basma shalaby
Jul 22, 2016 Basma shalaby rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this Inspiring & beautiful book
I really adore Audrey Hepburn and she will always be one of my favorite Idols
Love her quotes, pictures, sense of style and her way of thinking.
I love the relationship between her and her mother
I enjoy the biographical notes about her life
This book is about Audrey's way to reach happiness in life
Her friends and celebrities quotes are so touchable

" I heard a definition once: Happiness is health and a short memory! I wish I’d invented it, beca
...more
Emily
Aug 17, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Women adore Audrey: her looks, figure, and sense of style. But not many people know that, beneath the glamor is someone who is very much like us. Audrey however embraces her introverted self and insecurities by 'winging it' as an actress. Author Melissa Hellstern packages the best of Audrey's advice, her pictures, and quotes into a book that can be read in one sitting--perhaps over and over again.
Delilah
Nov 01, 2015 Delilah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-reads
Audrey taught us that being a woman is as simple as knowing who you are, and who you are not.

This a wonderfully short book filled with pictures and quotes of who truly was one of the most remarkable women of our time. Her outlook on life is one to aspire to. Through her experiences in WW2 she learns at a young age to appreciate life and be thankful for every day God has given her. When asked about that time she says "It made me resilient and terribly appreciative for everything good that came a
...more
Melanie
Jun 19, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
A great collection of quotes, both by Audrey Hepburn and others who knew her. The pictures were so-so, but you can find great photos of Audrey elsewhere. I loved this quote in particular from the New York Times following Audrey's death:

"Nearly forty yeras later Audrey Hepburn's face was that of someone who'd squinted into the sun, laughed a few laughs, shed a few tears. The forehead showed some wrinkles, the eyes showed some more, and the strong jawline was softening around the edges.

As unwillin
...more
OwlBeReading
Sep 20, 2015 OwlBeReading rated it it was amazing
Audrey Hepburn is my idol and I absolutely adore her. This book was filled with all of her quotes about life and pictures that prove that what she said was real. Some of her advice to the public makes me really confident and I hope that everyone will feel the same way when they read it.
Zahra Rashidian
Jun 24, 2016 Zahra Rashidian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ستاره ها به خاطر در مورد آدری بودن و عکساشه.
و البته جنس برگه ها!
أسرار الأنصاري
Jun 10, 2015 أسرار الأنصاري rated it it was amazing
Inspiring !
Sirpa Grierson
A gift from my daughter, this is a book of snippets including quotations by Audrey set apart by photographs. Not really an autobiography, rather this might be considered a little book of wisdom on how to live graciously. For me, watching old movies starring either of the Hepburns--Katharine or Audrey--was a tutorial on learning to live one's life in an authentic way. They were as different as could be in personality, yet both had an impact upon me as an impressionable young girl. In an era when ...more
Nazanin Moshiri
Aug 10, 2016 Nazanin Moshiri rated it it was amazing
عاشق آدری بودن کار آسانی ست..مگر می شود دلربایی ذاتی این مخلوق خدا را نادیده گرفت؟! صورت شیطونی که توامان معصومیت کودکانه ای را به همراه دارد و چشم های فریبنده ای که برایم معیار گیرایی ست...آدری برای من همیشه همان (پرنسس آن) است که با شور و شوق خودشکنی یک روزه را بر می گزیند..پرنسسی که در زمان خودش هم شیفتگان سینما را مجذوب خود کرد و مرا قریب به شصت سال بعد متحیر ساخت! می توانم درباره ی جذابیت این الهه متن ها بنویسم اما این نوشته مربوط به کتابی ست در ستایش روح بزرگ او...طبیعتا هر آنچه که مربوط ب ...more
Amy "the book-bat"
I enjoyed the photos and the quotes from Audrey Hepburn and her friends & family.
Katie
Jan 04, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
Brenton got this book for my 25th birthday. It is wonderful! It's a small biography, but mostly focuses on what made Audrey so, well, Audrey! It has direct quotes from her, fabulous photos, and quotes from many celebrities who worked with her. I loved hearing their perceptions of Audrey. Most of them said there really was something special about her, and that she really lived a higher standard of life than most celebrities. I've read it several times now when I just need a boost of Audrey charm ...more
Kelly Hager
May 18, 2014 Kelly Hager rated it really liked it
This book is basically full of Audrey Hepburn quotes (mostly by her, but a few are by her friends and family). There are a few biographical notes, but not very many.

It's probably not very surprising, then, that after reading this, all I wanted to do was watch Sabrina. (Yes, I know everyone's favorite is either Breakfast at Tiffany's or Roman Holiday or My Fair Lady, but mine's Sabrina.)

I know a lot of people feel this way, but I absolutely love Audrey Hepburn. (Probably second only to my love of
...more
Natalie
Sep 11, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing
An overview of the philosophies of living a happy life and a general biography of Audrey. After reading this, I have learned that she has overcome many struggles such as the loss of her father, the trauma of war, miscarriages and failed marriages but in spite of that, she manages to overcome these adversities and let us remember her not for these events but for her elegance, style and strength of character. One of the most influential people to me.
riley !!
Oct 17, 2014 riley !! rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ahh I love this book. I adore Audrey Hepburn as she is my rolemodel, and in a similar context, my queen.
She lived life in the most beautiful way possible, and achieved happiness in health and short memory.
I wish more people resembled her today, and not tried to be someone that you cannot be, but more so try to seek out the great things about yourself, because you're worth it. And you're great. And the world will always see more in you than you see in itself.

Audrey Hepburn has taught me that l
...more
Katie
Jul 17, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love
I've always loved Audrey Hepburn, I've got a poster of her in my room and several of her movies.
This book made me appreciate her that much more. It took me through her life, and her take on things. It was fan-freaking-tastic.
Audrey Hepburn has always been one of my idols, and this book just solidifies that in a way I didn't think of before.
Jacqueline
Dec 27, 2012 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
This was a charming collection of photographs and quotes/fun facts of Audrey Hepburn. I enjoyed it as it was simple and short yet still inspiring. It doesn't give you much information about her life other than a few stories and personality traits. A gorgeous collection though and perfect for a coffee table!
Wsclai
Oct 23, 2011 Wsclai rated it it was amazing
Audrey Hepburn is my all-time favourite personality and to me, she represents all that a woman could be. The book contains a lot of wonderful quotes from her, which are the continuous inspirations she shares with the world. The bonus of the book is the beautiful black-and-white pictures of her.
Reyhane nouri
به قولِ آدرى::
"بهترين چيزى كه در زندگى بهتر است نگهش داريم يكديگر است."
به نظرم يكى از قشنگترين جمله هاى كتاب بود
---------------------
كتاب را پدرم به من هديه دادند و اولش برايم نوشته اند :بعد از خواندن كتاب
مى فهمى انسان بودن اصل همه چيزه.
Lizzie
Dec 12, 2008 Lizzie rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. It is put together in a very charming way, with quotes from Audrey & great stories about her told by friends. Every woman should have this book on her shelf to reference.
Ashlee
Jul 17, 2015 Ashlee rated it it was ok
I will start by saying that I am a big fan of Audrey Hepburn, and I always enjoy learning more about her; but this book was mediocre at best.

It is a collection of quotes, which the author has attempted to categorize in the hopes of teaching one how to become Audrey-like. Unfortunately, most of the time I didn't really see the relevance of the quote to the category, or there were contradicting ideas in the quotes, or the quote was just uninteresting; and the authors introductory commentary to ea
...more
Erin Horner
Apr 13, 2015 Erin Horner rated it really liked it
I went into this book not knowing very much about Audrey Hepburn besides her being an actress and I found this book really an inspiration, I was really surprised to find out that she was a really insecure, reserved person who'd much rather be by herself, I didn't expect that at all. Her quotes were so true and so helpful, therefore I could relate to lots of it which is always a bonus!! I also really love how she didn't take her fame for granted and did take time to help others in need, she was w ...more
Meredith
Nov 29, 2014 Meredith rated it really liked it
This slim book gives little tidbits of Hepburn's history in the form of anecdotes and quotes from Hepburn and people who knew her, along with many photographs exhibiting her uncanny and unusual sense of style. Audrey Hepburn was an amazing person who lived her life to fullest and always made time to care for others. She is a fantastic role model for a woman of any age.
Allyson
Jul 31, 2016 Allyson rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It gave a wonderful glimpse into the private life of Audrey Hepburn. It tells you even how she thought and even spoke to close friends, with quotes from herself and loved ones. This is a marvelous book for those who love Audrey and who also want a piece of good, solid advice added to their lives on how to genuinely be lovely.
Vivi
Apr 25, 2013 Vivi rated it it was amazing
4,5 Estrellitas, sólo porque no sale su célebre frase:
"Para tener ojos bonitos, busca lo bueno en los demás; para tener labios hermosos, di sólo palabras de bondad, y para tener equilibrio, camina con la certeza de que nunca estás solo."

Me gustó muchísimo este libro que es una recopilación de entrevistas, frases, etc. Es un libro inspirador, creo que lo he llenado de post-it, me ha fascinado todo, habían algunas cosas que no sabía de Audrey que es uno de mis mayores ídolos.

Y como bonus otra de m
...more
Lizzie Epton
Aug 05, 2016 Lizzie Epton rated it liked it
a lovely little insight into the life of Audrey Hepburn, a woman who I have admired from her movies and now have a greater appreciation of everything she achieved in her life and the troubles she faced and conquered, a true inspiration not for being a movie icon, but for the way she lived her life.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 99 100 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • The Audrey Hepburn Treasures
  • Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit
  • Audrey Hepburn: A Life in Pictures
  • Audrey Style
  • Audrey Hepburn: An Intimate Portrait
  • Audrey Hepburn
  • Audrey Hepburn: The Paramount Years
  • Audrey: A Life in Pictures
  • Enchantment: The Life of Audrey Hepburn
  • Audrey Hepburn
  • Audrey Hepburn: Fair Lady of the Screen
  • The Breakfast at Tiffany's Companion
  • How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World: The Art of Living with Style, Class, and Grace
  • Audrey Hepburn's Enchanted Tales
  • What Would Jackie Do?: An Inspired Guide to Distinctive Living
  • Audrey 100
  • Audrey: Her Real Story
  • Audrey Hepburn: A Biography

Share This Book



“The most important thing is to enjoy your life—to be happy— that’s all that matters.” 2 likes
“Being young is one thing, but healthy is beautiful at any age.” 2 likes
More quotes…