Start by marking “A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)” as Want to Read:
A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)

A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer #7)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  382 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Late spring, the year of our Lord 1370. Owen Archer, ex-soldier and spy, is preparing to depart Wales, his work for John of Gaunt completed. But his attempts to arrange safe passage home to York are thwarted by a mysterious suicide.

In York Lucie Wilton is disheartened by her husband's long absence and concerned by allegations against her apothecary. Then Brother Michaelo b
Hardcover, Signed, 318 pages
Published 1999 by William Heinemann

To ask other readers questions about A Spy for the Redeemer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spy for the Redeemer

Alex Telander
This is the seventh book in the series featuring the one-eyed hero Owen Archer, and yet even though this is the first I’m reading in the series, I didn’t feel discombobulated in any sense. While some characters are referenced from another book, and the current characters have obviously aged more, the events taking place in the book have no dependence on any earlier events. Essentially there are two mysteries at hand here. One involves Owen Archer, a Welshman in Wales, in the town of St. David’s, ...more
Louise
Another good Owen Archer story. Set in 1370, during the reign of Edward III, Owen (who works for the Archbishop of York) is in Wales in the holy city of St David's.

In this one Owen is in Wales investigating a murder whilst Lucie - back in York - is having to content with a spiteful customer; an aged aunt; a rebellious apprentice; the death of her father; and rumours that Owen will not return.

Really containing two separate stories, Robb manages to keep a strong link between them so that while you
Marisa
A Spy for the Redeemer is fast paced right from the beginning.
While Owen is away in Wales Lucie, his wife, is troubled by accusations made against her apothecary. Then she gets news that her father has dies. She goes to visit her aunt and fins troubling news. while visiting the manor is attacked. Lucie's friend and neighbor offers his steward to help out. The steward is very obviously attracted to Lucie and with Owen away from home Lucie faces temptation wile trying to figure out who is behind t
MBP
I didn't think this was up to the high standard of the previous books in this series. Well-researched as always, with maps and an author's note at the end, but slower paced. I agree with previous reviewers that it's also darker, but I think the series has been moving in that direction for a while now, and I like that. And (speaking of dark) I wished there was more of Archbishop Thoresby and Brother Michaelo; they've been developing in intriguing ways, and I think they should have their own book! ...more
Heather
Candace Robb's Owen Archer mysteries seem to be getting darker. Her characters are full of doubts. It's realistic if not pleasant. I didn't enjoy this one as much as some of her earlier books in the series.

In A Spy for the Redeemer we find Owen still in Wales questioning his own political/familial loyalty and assigned to find a murderer. Meanwhile, Lucie's back in York dealing with a teenager, an attack against her ancestral home, and doubts of her own.
Liisa
Much darker and deeper than the other stories in this series, it actually is the second in a two-parter that stretches from York all the way to St. David's in Wales. This is the first time Robb addresses the dual citizenship that Owen feels as a servant of Edward III and a Welshman.
Carol
Romance, mystery, political intrigues, and adventure set in 1370 Wales and England.
Susan
Jan 04, 2010 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any who like an action packed story with historical content
Recommended to Susan by: authors list
Contains everything;history, adventure, mystery, thriller & a touch of romance
Jen
A quick note this is my favorite book title EVER!
Nancy
Good medieval mystery.
Sarah Boyd
Sarah Boyd marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Maureen Sklaroff
Maureen Sklaroff marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Cheri Edwards
Cheri Edwards marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Nekoian
Nekoian marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Carolynn R
Carolynn R marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
  • The Maiden's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #8)
  • Murder Most Holy (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #3)
  • The Hermit of Eyton Forest (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #14)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • The Wicked Winter (Roger the chapman, #6)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
AKA Emma Campion or Candace M. Robb
My novels are inspired by my study of the late Middle Ages in Northern Europe. I write crime novels under my own name, and historical novels about women in King Edward III's court under the pen name Emma Campion. I live in the beautiful Pacific NW, but frequently spend stretches of time in England, Scotland and Wales doing research and exploring. I have two ongoi
More about Candace Robb...

Owen Archer (10 books)
  • The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1)
  • The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)
  • The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)
  • The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • A Vigil of Spies (Owen Archer, #10)
The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1) A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6) The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2) The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4) The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)