Start by marking “Island of the Mighty” as Want to Read:
Island of the Mighty

Island of the Mighty (Mabinogion Tetralogy #4)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Book 4 of Walton's Mabinogion series.
Published August 8th 1993 by Collier Books (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Island of the Mighty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island of the Mighty

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
Best Arthurian Fiction
96th out of 370 books — 1,245 voters
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumDracula by Bram StokerThe Complete Fairy Tales by Hans Christian AndersenThe King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany
Pre-Tolkien Fantasy
66th out of 132 books — 151 voters

More lists with this book...

Island of the Mighty retells the last branch of the Mabinogion, the story of Gwydion, Arianrhod, Llew Llaw Gyffes, Blodeuwedd and Goronwy. It begins with a retelling of stealing the pigs belonging to Lord Pryderi. Gwydion uses this to provoke war, allowing his younger brother to rape the king's footholder. This also leads to the death of Pryderi, which doesn't endear Gwydion to the reader who has also read the retellings of the other three branches -- and also to the disgracing of Arianrhod and ...more
I'm not sure if this is a "retelling" of the Mabinogi, or an "adaptation" or a "novelization" or what. What I am sure of is that it was a lovely, lovely book, full of graceful prose, magic, love and loss. And unpronounceable Welsh names. And maybe just a wee dram of 1930's spiritualism/mysticism courtesy of the author. Highly recommended.
Fraser Sherman
A superb adaptation of the fourth branch of the Mabinogion (a collection of Welsh myths). The magic is powerful (despite Walton's insistence it's just Lost Science), the characters are vivid, though the mysticism is cliched and her handling of gender issues a bit uncomfortable (this was written in the 1930s)--for example, Walton's assertion that before virginity became a concept, rape didn't exist (WTF?). I think it's terrific, even so.
A rich, interesting remake of old Welsh myth. I enjoyed marking the similarities between this and other more modern takes on Celtic lore.
Now that I've finished the Fourth Branch I wish that there was more, time to start reading any related material I can find. ^_^
An exciting adaptation of the fourth branch of the Mabinogi. Walton made it a blast to read, and contextualized it for a slightly less misogynistic audience without bowdlerizing or making it feel inauthentic. I'm ordering the other three parts to read soon!
I'm not sure why, but I couldn't get into this one at all. Main characters were all pretty hateful and selfish, and I didn't like them or care about them. I much prefer Lloyd Alexander's Gwydion!
Originally titled The Virgin and The Swine. Awesome celtic mythology. My father knew the author who was known as "The Blue Lady" because she suffered from a lack of oxygen when she was born.
Wow! Trippy feminist retelling of parts of the Mabanogion. Unexpected and slightly shocking in places.
first half was four stars, second half was five stars, so I'd give it 4.5 if I could:).
Carolyn V.
read it during the 1970s and remember loving it. Need to reread it.
Syl Grant
Syl Grant marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Dani marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Dissy Rose
Dissy Rose marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Fae marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Soultrypp marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Craig added it
Jul 19, 2015
Ludovica marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Catherine Lehmann
Catherine Lehmann marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Emily Wright
Emily Wright marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Jacob Andrews
Jacob Andrews marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
David marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
  • Red Moon and Black Mountain
  • The Water of the Wondrous Isles
  • The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis
  • Hyperborea
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley
  • The Grey Horse
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Kai Lung's Golden Hours (Kai Lung #2)
  • The Silver Stallion
  • The Doom That Came to Sarnath
  • Land of Unreason
  • The Mezentian Gate
  • Princeless #1
  • The Celtic Heroic Age
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • In Winter's Shadow
Evangeline Walton was the pen name of Evangeline Wilna Ensley, an American author of fantasy fiction. She remains popular in North America and Europe because of her “ability to humanize historical and mythological subjects with eloquence, humor and compassion”.
More about Evangeline Walton...

Mabinogion Tetralogy (4 books)
  • Prince of Annwn (Mabinogion Tetralogy #1)
  • The Children of Llyr
  • The Song of Rhiannon
The Mabinogion Tetralogy Prince of Annwn (Mabinogion Tetralogy #1) The Children of Llyr The Song of Rhiannon Witch House