Start by marking “Island of the Mighty” as Want to Read:
Island of the Mighty

Island of the Mighty (Mabinogion Tetralogy #4)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Book 4 of Walton's Mabinogion series.
Published August 8th 1993 by Collier Books (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Island of the Mighty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island of the Mighty

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
Best Arthurian Fiction
101st out of 346 books — 1,215 voters
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumDracula by Bram StokerThe King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord DunsanyThe Complete Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen
Pre-Tolkien Fantasy
59th out of 130 books — 138 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki
Island of the Mighty retells the last branch of the Mabinogion, the story of Gwydion, Arianrhod, Llew Llaw Gyffes, Blodeuwedd and Goronwy. It begins with a retelling of stealing the pigs belonging to Lord Pryderi. Gwydion uses this to provoke war, allowing his younger brother to rape the king's footholder. This also leads to the death of Pryderi, which doesn't endear Gwydion to the reader who has also read the retellings of the other three branches -- and also to the disgracing of Arianrhod and ...more
Joseph
I'm not sure if this is a "retelling" of the Mabinogi, or an "adaptation" or a "novelization" or what. What I am sure of is that it was a lovely, lovely book, full of graceful prose, magic, love and loss. And unpronounceable Welsh names. And maybe just a wee dram of 1930's spiritualism/mysticism courtesy of the author. Highly recommended.
Fraser Sherman
A superb adaptation of the fourth branch of the Mabinogion (a collection of Welsh myths). The magic is powerful (despite Walton's insistence it's just Lost Science), the characters are vivid, though the mysticism is cliched and her handling of gender issues a bit uncomfortable (this was written in the 1930s)--for example, Walton's assertion that before virginity became a concept, rape didn't exist (WTF?). I think it's terrific, even so.
Katie
A rich, interesting remake of old Welsh myth. I enjoyed marking the similarities between this and other more modern takes on Celtic lore.
Tony_Bat
Now that I've finished the Fourth Branch I wish that there was more, time to start reading any related material I can find. ^_^
Adam
An exciting adaptation of the fourth branch of the Mabinogi. Walton made it a blast to read, and contextualized it for a slightly less misogynistic audience without bowdlerizing or making it feel inauthentic. I'm ordering the other three parts to read soon!
readmuchrunfar
I'm not sure why, but I couldn't get into this one at all. Main characters were all pretty hateful and selfish, and I didn't like them or care about them. I much prefer Lloyd Alexander's Gwydion!
Jackie
Originally titled The Virgin and The Swine. Awesome celtic mythology. My father knew the author who was known as "The Blue Lady" because she suffered from a lack of oxygen when she was born.
Readelf
Wow! Trippy feminist retelling of parts of the Mabanogion. Unexpected and slightly shocking in places.
Philip
first half was four stars, second half was five stars, so I'd give it 4.5 if I could:).
Carolyn V.
read it during the 1970s and remember loving it. Need to reread it.
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
N I
N I marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Relanni
Relanni marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Victor Cioban
Victor Cioban marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Tiffany Overton
Tiffany Overton marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
ares
ares added it
Apr 17, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
  • Red Moon and Black Mountain
  • The Water of the Wondrous Isles
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • Hyperborea
  • The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis
  • Kai Lung's Golden Hours (Kai Lung #2)
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley
  • Figures of Earth
  • The Doom That Came to Sarnath
  • The Celtic Heroic Age
  • Princeless #1
  • Mordred's Curse
  • The Bird of the River (Lord Ermenwyr, #3)
  • In Winter's Shadow
  • Parsival Or A Knight's Tale (Parsival #1)
  • The Chessboard Queen (Guinevere, #2)
  • Land of Unreason
Evangeline Walton was the pen name of Evangeline Wilna Ensley, an American author of fantasy fiction. She remains popular in North America and Europe because of her “ability to humanize historical and mythological subjects with eloquence, humor and compassion”.
More about Evangeline Walton...

Mabinogion Tetralogy (4 books)
  • Prince of Annwn (Mabinogion Tetralogy #1)
  • The Children of Llyr
  • The Song of Rhiannon
The Mabinogion Tetralogy Prince of Annwn (Mabinogion Tetralogy #1) The Children of Llyr The Song of Rhiannon She Walks in Darkness