Start by marking “Tarzan of the Apes: Three Complete Novels, Tarzan of the Apes/ The Son of Tarzan / Tarzan at the Earth's Core (Tarzan, #1, #4, #13)” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Tarzan of the Apes: Three Complete Novels, Tarzan of the Apes/ The Son of Tarzan / Tarzan at the Earth's Core (Tarzan #1, 4, 13)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  153 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
1 Tarzan of the Apes Tarzan orphaned babe in Africa adopted by ape, grows strong, loses love
2 The Son of Tarzan Jack flees to Africa with ape Akut, grows strong, finds love
3 Tarzan at the Earth's Core Tarzan leads expedition by dirigible to Pellucidar. Jason Gridley wants to rescue Emperor David from Kosaks.
Published May 19th 1998 by Gramercy Random House

To ask other readers questions about Tarzan of the Apes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarzan of the Apes

An Odd1
Apr 12, 2015 An Odd1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, action, fan
Author "Burroughs violated" rule of "beginning writers: he wrote on things he knew nothing about" p vii, leading to inconsistencies, impossibilities. Yet wimpy Lady nearly sinks newlyweds, ape nurses boy, brave hero wins gory fights. In funny scene, near-sighted Samuel T. Philander tugs at doddery Prof Archimedes Q. Porter who believes pursuing lion runs loose in zoo, not free in nameless island.

Maybe because I read Pellucidar stories together, I prefer jungle stay apart from invented monsters
Mark
May 30, 2009 Mark rated it liked it
I read these a good thirty years ago, when I was a boy. It took me a while (about five or six books) till I realized they all revolve around the same plot: the kidnapping of Jane by various nefarious people. Even as a kid the racist elements upset me. But the character of Tarzan was such a compelling fantasy--living at one with nature--that I tried to overlook them. Incredibly dated now, the series is still an interesting historical document, and--if you can get past a white man being the lord o ...more
Elana
Jul 27, 2008 Elana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know the real story of Tarzan
Recommended to Elana by: my mother
Growing up (in the 70's) I read ALL of the Tarzan books (we had over 20 in the series -- I wonder if my mother still has them -- I hope so). I loved these books, but I especially loved the first 3 books. I cannot recommend these books enough. When reading, simply remember they were written in another time (you can actually get a glimpse of that time in the writing). If you're curious, you're likely to enjoy these books.
Paulette
Jun 22, 2009 Paulette rated it it was amazing
I read this in my teens. I think my sister collected about 20 of the Tarzan books. The latter ones (Tarzan and the Monkey People -- I'm making this up) are probably not worth reading. But the first 3 books are truly amazing. The concept itself (a man raised by apes) is just so unique.
K.D.
Jan 03, 2008 K.D. rated it it was amazing
I'll admit it. I am a Tarzan freak. I love wondering who we would be if society wasn't in the way. Still makes me want to fly down the stairs on a silver serving platter.
Cindy
May 22, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I LOVED, Loved these books as a teenager. I think I should read them again and relive the wonder!!
Tessa Eger
Dec 27, 2011 Tessa Eger rated it liked it
Like the adventure, not the opining and racism.
Nick Cincotta
Nick Cincotta marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Broughps
Broughps rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Susi
Susi rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Laura Frazier
Laura Frazier rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Mandellah
Mandellah marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Angela Morin
Angela Morin rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Yi
Yi marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Chrystaleigh Pilkey
Chrystaleigh Pilkey marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Peter Nys
Peter Nys marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
KayTea
KayTea marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
J.L. Day
J.L. Day rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Jon H
Jon H rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Patrick Giasson
Patrick Giasson rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Harm's Way (Inspector Sloan #11)
  • Gerald and Elizabeth
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Peace Breaks Out
  • Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses (Sue Barton, #5)
  • The Gap in the Curtain (Sir Edward Leithen #4)
  • Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)
  • This Was Tomorrow (Williamsburg, #6)
  • The Stillness of Time Travel (Benedict, #1)
  • Die Twice (David Trevellyan, #2)
  • Weird Texas: Your travel guide to Texas's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Animal Farm and Related Readings
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

Tarzan (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)
  • The Return of Tarzan (Tarzan, #2)
  • The Beasts of Tarzan (Tarzan, #3)
  • The Son of Tarzan (Tarzan, #4)
  • Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (Tarzan, #5)
  • Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan, #6)
  • Tarzan the Untamed (Tarzan, #7)
  • Tarzan the Terrible (Tarzan, #8)
  • Tarzan and the Golden Lion (Tarzan, #9)
  • Tarzan and the Ant Men (Tarzan, #10)