Start by marking “Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2

Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2 (Runaways Deluxe #2)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,263 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
This deluxe hardcover collects Runaways Volume 4: True Believers and Runaways Volume 5: Escape to New York, plus extras. In True Believers, it's an all-new beginning for the book that Wizard calls "the best original concept from Marvel in thirty years " When a group of teenagers discovers that their parents are actually super-villains, they run away from home... but that's ...more
Published December 6th 2006 by Marvel (first published December 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2

Sesana
Aug 07, 2013 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Not quite as satisfying of a read as the first volume, probably because it doesn't have the same focus. Now that the Pride storyline's been settled, we're basically left with a no adults, costume free version of Generation X. This is not a bad thing, necessarily. I really liked Generation X. And I really like these characters, most of them. (I haven't quite warmed up to Nico.) There are a lot of guest characters involved here, including some really big names, some of them acting very dimly. Capt ...more
Melissa
I don't know if I want to write a review about this, but I do have some musings.

It gets a little old for Nico to be asked over & over again, "Can't you just use the Staff of One to *do this thing*?" and she replies, "No, I've already used that spell." Could the Staff of One be used along with a thesaurus? If you can only say, like, "Teleport!" once, could you get a similar effect from saying, "Transport me across space and distance instantly"?

If Gert is going to be referred to as fat by bad
Feb 18, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Once upon a time, six couples agreed to sell the earth to monsters in return for great power. Each couple has a kid, each couple loves their child, and perhaps consequently, most of the children do not grow up as sociopaths. They do, however, kill their parents, saving the world. This is the further adventures of our young heroes. Well, the ones that are left. Plus Ultron’s kid. And a gender bending Skrull.

It’s kinda amazing how much more I liked this than The Age of Apocalypse. The characters
Rian
Jan 09, 2009 Rian rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
Very enjoyable, if not quite as good as Vol. 1 The overall plot felt less focused, with more side stories and vignettes thrown in, and I wasn't overfond of the initial group of villains. Still, I found Chase and Gert's relationship to be touching and interesting, and Karolina became a much more charming character as she grew into herself. Nico, on the other hand, seemed to just get more and more irritating, and her string of sexual escapades went from awkwardly funny, to awkward, to boring. When ...more
Donna
Jan 26, 2015 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

I'm struggling rating this one because overall I loved it, but the plot wasn't quite as tight as the first collection. The beginning and end was really strong but I just felt like the middle kind of meandered all over the place for no real reason.

The characters are really what keep me reading and I'm super glad to know that this isn't the end for them and that there will be one more collected edition!
velma
Jul 25, 2015 velma rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Not as satisfying as Volume 1, but Volume 1 contained all the issues of the first Runaways incarnation. This book only has half of the second incarnation, and for all I know it'll get better in the second half.

Still really really good though. God bless my precious angel, Karolina Dean.
Pernille
Apr 06, 2016 Pernille rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tegneserier
Likey likey! Lovely little cameos or well... appearances from all those cool superheroes I've seen in the movies lately and should have read the comics of!
Matisse
May 18, 2016 Matisse rated it it was amazing
I find myself playing chicken with 'Runaways'. The series stays true to itself as long as Brian K.Vaughan is writing it; once Whedon takes over it loses its way, and then Moore runs it into the ground, only for the rebooted 2015 series to be an in-name-only revival. So, I'm reading as much of the BKV run as possible and hoping it doesn't lose steam.

This volume soooort of does. The first volume of Runaways has a memorable villain, it's got a contained arc, and everything is fresh and new. Volume
Holden Attradies
My first instinct when putting this down was that I liked it more than the first volume, but I think maybe it was just that I had experienced this one just then and really it was just on par with the first volume.

It was cool having the team be almost all women, especially when they are a variety of ethnicity, sexual preference, and body type (at least for a comic). The grown ups were pretty amazingly grown up, even the "reformed kid heroes". and I really liked that spider-Man was on the level, a
Rusty
Jul 29, 2014 Rusty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This collection was even better than the first. I love the kids, and now that the little issue with their parents has been taken care of they are free to just be heroes. The last collection seemed to really be set in some sort of alternate universe where I recognized nobody (Well, Cloak and Dagger did show up in the first collection, now that I think about it). This time, Cap, Wolverine, Spider-Man, the X-men... many of the A and B list baddies show up.

And through it all, there's just these kid
Nikki
Sep 21, 2015 Nikki rated it really liked it
I love this series! So much girl power and such a fun ride. There was a lot of character development in this one, but the plot wasn't super focused. Can't wait for the next one.
Maddsurgeon
Mar 19, 2015 Maddsurgeon rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-book, marvel
This has a lot of good stuff, as is to be expected of Vaughn. The premise are a bunch of teenage superheroes are operating as vigilantes, outside the big-kids club of the mainstream superheroes -- the Avengers, the X-Men, etc. The first arc, which has a child-hero support group including Julie from the Power Pack and Darkhawk (remember him?), was a whole lot of fun. There's a good Spidey guest-spot later on, too; I like the way Vaugh writes Spidey. Also, the Runaways/X-Men one-shot drawn by Skot ...more
Alexandria
Mar 22, 2016 Alexandria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The end of this book left me a teary mess. Covers for later editions tell me things might not be as they appear, but that didn't stop me from crying for a good long while when the big drop came. I don't want to say too much for fear of spoilers, but this book takes the impact of the first collection and then ups the ante.

Other reviewers have said that the middle of the book seems to lose its way after a strong opening and I tend to agree. I would have liked to see a little more cohesion, though
Priscilla
Feb 10, 2015 Priscilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ernest
Nov 16, 2015 Ernest rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though their parents are gone, it doesn’t mean life is all sweet for the Runaways now. They find themselves dealing with the son of an unknown villain, an ex-hero support group and a new Pride?!?

While the focus and drive of this volume doesn’t match the first volume, the stories are still generally interesting to read. The stories involving guest characters from the wider Marvel 616 universe are of differing quality – in general, I preferred having a might lighter touch than it was done her
Robert Beveridge
Brian K. Vaughan, Runaways, vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland (Marvel, 2005)

So the pack have themselves a hideout, a mission, and a big problem: the Pride have set things up to look like the murder the kids witnessed in book 1 was carried out by Alex, and that the batch have kidnapped Molly. To that end, their mole in the police department, acting without the Pride's knowledge, has called in Cloak and Dagger, a couple of B-grade superheroes (as Alex snidely mentions) to track them down and recover Molly
Rachel
Apr 07, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
Alex Lee
Jun 25, 2015 Alex Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic, 2015
Still good. Not as good as the first volume since there's none of the that focus. But you still see that our heros are settling into the normal comic book routine. Still, the characterization is okay, though I would have liked to see more. The art is also enjoyable. There is a hint at a larger arc developing but much of that is left hanging. Still if you liked the first volume, there is enough here to keep it interesting.
Renata
I'd never read these before, only the first run of Runaways (lolz) so I was glad to finally read more of their story! It doesn't come together quite as perfectly as the first run, but it's a lot of fun to see more of these characters and it does the whole time travel ethics thing pretty splendidly. Also, hooray for Karolina and her sexy Super Skrull-in-training girlfriend!
Roxanne
Jun 29, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
Still really enjoying this series. This volume caught me up to where I had left off when reading these back in 2011 and also moved the story forward. I do think (view spoiler), but overall I enjoyed this a lot.
Ashley
Jun 05, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
Entertaining, but certainly lacking the driving plot of the first volume. On the other hand, I felt like character development took place more and there were still some intriguing plot twists. This volume seems to have laid some ground work for a big story in the next volume.
Sabra Embury
May 12, 2010 Sabra Embury rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Set in LA, Runaways is about orphaned kids with special abilities: an eleven year-old mutant with super strength, a witch with a magic staff, a flying extra-terrestrial lesbian, a cyborg with electromagnetic breath, etc., who have come together as a family living in a cave underneath the La Brea Tarpits.

Many Marvel favorites make special appearances: Wolverine, Spiderman, Captain America; it's great, greater depending on which illustrator was on, and good no matter what because Vaughan is an ex
David
Jul 30, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-read
Fantastic. The big two comic publishers let writers borrow their characters for the writer's story. Indie comics, on the other hand, let writers create characters and stories. This is Marvel dipping their toes into the Indie comic market, and it's the best *thing* with a marvel logo on it.
syrin
Mar 03, 2014 syrin rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, ebook, read-2014
Nope, definitely not as good as the first series... "Runaways" still has some interesting plots, but the lack of focus in this second series made it much weaker when you compare it to the first one. It still has its high points (the teens still sound like teens, and Molly is still awesome), but some of the stories felt rushed, and some made no sense at all. It's still enjoyable though, so I'll keep reading.
Sean Goh
May 16, 2016 Sean Goh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars,
the first book felt like it had a tighter plot (the whole parents VS runaway children thing) while this book had disjointed mini-stories.

But the final twist at the confrontation with the big bad villain was quite moving.
Jenny
Jul 23, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another excellent entry in the series. The titular runaways cross paths with any number of famous superhero teams in this volume, which is fun. I'm furious about the ending (BOOOOO), but still looking forward to the next one.
Lindsay Chapin
May 01, 2016 Lindsay Chapin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I really enjoy Runaways. I like that it can be really self aware, and totally pokes fun at a lot of the tropes that we see in comics. That being said they totally used probably the worst trope

(view spoiler)

Anyway, I was enjoyed all the storylines that were in this collection, I was glad to see Cloak and Dagger again. It was weird to see the Free Comic Book Day issue from 2006 because that chunk was
Busky3
May 06, 2014 Busky3 rated it really liked it
The premise gets a little worn out and they interact a lot with some less than stellar supporting cast a bit too much in this collection. But their funny run ins with Marvel bigwigs like Wolverine make it still great fun.
Katie Florida
Jun 10, 2015 Katie Florida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good, though not as enjoyable as the first one. I would consider this appropriate for 8th grade and up, there is some profanity, but no serially explicit material.
I really enjoyed the Marvel cameos, that was very fun.
Jake
Aug 27, 2015 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seriously can't get these books fast enough. Absolutely fantastic writing and understanding of their characters.

Minor ding for how they handled LGBT issues in this collection, though.
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids (Runaways, #8)
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 3
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong (Runaways, #9)
  • Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways
  • X-Factor, Vol. 1: The Longest Night
  • Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 1: This is What They Want
  • Alias Omnibus
  • X-23: Target X
  • Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Vol. 1
  • New Mutants Classic, Vol. 3
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Runaways Deluxe (3 books)
  • Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 1
  • Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 3

“Victor: You guys have some kind of rallying cry? You know, "Avengers assemble?" "It's clobberin' time?" "Hulk smash?"
Nico: "Try not to die.”
18 likes
“Gert: What... what just happened?
Chase: I don't know, but guess who totally stole Cookie Monster's glasses!
Gert: Whew, for a second there, I was worried we almost learned something.
Chase: Ooo, look at me! I'm a big fluffy nerd!”
8 likes