Start by marking “The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual” as Want to Read:
The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual

The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual

THE HERBAL MEDICINE-MAKER'?S HANDBOOK is an entertaining compilation of natural home remedies written by one of the great herbalists, James Green, author of the best-selling THE MALE HERBAL. Writing in a delightfully personal and down-home style, Green emphasizes the point that herbal medicine-making is fundamental to every culture on the planet and is accessible to everyo ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Crossing Press

Sally
Oct 18, 2009 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Such a simple sentiment, but this passage has been paradigm-changing for me, not only in my herb and natural health studies, but also in general:

"Most herbalists I know strongly recommend that a student limit her studies to 'a few select herbs.' Get to know them well by learning to identify them,... touch, taste, smell, and use them. The energies of thirty to thirty-five herbs will enchant you and keep you sufficiently busy for the following year or two. Distinguished individuals from the remain
Jun 02, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: herbsandhealing
The nitty-gritty of herbal medicine making, laid out in a well organized and thoughtful way. James has a great conversational style to his writing, you will feel like a kind friend is right with you guiding your learning. I like that he sticks to just a few (25 or so) herbs that you are most likely to use, so you can get to know them really well. He also has a great sense of humor and so reading through this book is never dry! The lovely mucha-ish illustrations throughout the book are done by hi ...more
Trace
May 24, 2010 Trace rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010-book-list
Another interesting topic for me. In the past I've made batches of elderberry syrup and saved myself a bundle, as its expensive to buy! I'm ready to add a few more herbal/natural recipes to my repertoire.

UPDATE:

DONE! Didn't like it.. didn't find it to have a very comfortable flow.... couldn't get into it...and didn't like the new-agey feel to it.. read at least half of it and skimmed through the rest.. the author is obviously VERY knowledgeable about his craft... but I'll keep looking for a boo
JoMama
Feb 21, 2011 JoMama rated it really liked it
Fun book if you are into your own medicine making. Lots of great recipes and ideas and in depth descriptions.
Summer Bock, Holistic Nutrition & Herbs
A great resource for learning every step of herbal medicine production. Great illustrations. Of all the books I have read in this genre, this one far exceeds all others in its quality as a technical manual. He explains the medicinal qualities of 30 herbs and discusses the best preparation for each. He has explanations for certain productions in this book that I have never before seen explained in writing. As a trained herbalist, I have previously only heard this information passed from teacher t ...more
Heather
Oct 19, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
I am loving this book as a guide as I'm taking an herbalism class. I am really getting interested in learning more about plants, how to recognize, gather & heal with them. Such fascinating stuff!! Now as I'm reading the info on how to do everything, I am in the know as I've experienced a lot of it in my class. So exciting!! I'm just giddy!! This is definitely a good reference book that I am putting on my wish list for my home shelf.
Michele Hoover
Sep 19, 2012 Michele Hoover rated it it was amazing
Shelves: herbs, philosophy
I LOVE James Green ... always have. He has been one of my favorite herbalists, along with Susun Weed, since I first began my own herbal journey, many many moons ago.

This is a beautiful beginner's manual - an introduction to the philosophy, relationship with plants, tools and basic instructions for creating herbal medicines. James' writing is a joy to read, and this book includes a beautiful philosophy of health, beauty, and life.
Sara McDonald
Aug 16, 2014 Sara McDonald rated it liked it
Green is knowledgeable about using heat and solvents to extract chemicals. I really liked that about this book. Though the book gives some brief discussion on therapeutic activity of certain herbs, it is more about the processing side of herbal medicine making. He references pagan spirituality frequently in terms of communicating with the plants, and a bit of earth-worship. Nevertheless, it's a well-crafted book from a person who clearly has the knowledge and skill to speak on the subject.
Maja Haloway
Nov 12, 2010 Maja Haloway rated it it was amazing
Shelves: herbal-lore
THE foundational handbook for learning how to work with medicinal plant preparations. Provides detailed "how to" based on years of practice and research, from creating simple tinctures and infusions to the more esoteric preparations. The stories and anecdotes are both entertaining and highly educational.
Amanda Klenner-labrow
Aug 04, 2014 Amanda Klenner-labrow rated it it was amazing
Great, practical information on just 20 herbs - but good insight into each herb and how to make a lot of different types of herbal medicine with step by step instructions. It makes you practice american measurements to metric conversion - which is good. Wonderful recipes. Great voice. One of my top "herb books" that I recommend.
Christine
Aug 11, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it
i really like this book. james is reallyfunny and knowledgeable. tthis book covers a lot of topics and shows many different ways of making hherbal medicine. i think its better suited for intermediate studeents than begginners though. (i can actually spell, but my keboard is dying) :(
Anne Cheshire
Jan 12, 2013 Anne Cheshire rated it it was amazing
The best manual I have seen, an erudite writer with a sense of humour and spiritual awareness packs in a huge amount of usable information. Good for first-time herbalists and more experienced alchemists.
Kate
Apr 26, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
I am in the throes of this informative, loving and easily digestible text. As I write, I am also enrolled in an Herbalist class and feel that this will be a good go to after the class to reintegrate all that I have learned as well as give some options for me to play with.
Rhonda Galigan mcleod
Apr 15, 2013 Rhonda Galigan mcleod rated it it was amazing
WONDERFUL guide! A must have for any home remedy amateur. He teaches everything from plant identification to making teas and tinctures. My 'go to' herbal manual.
Brooke Jeffries
Jan 19, 2012 Brooke Jeffries rated it it was amazing
Educational & sentimental. I love Green's passion for plants. The reader can't help but get stirred by it.
Lizzie
Mar 27, 2013 Lizzie marked it as currently-referencing
I get the very distinct feeling I'll be referencing this book a lot in the coming months at herb school.
Elizabeth
For my plant medicine class. What I've read of it (the pages assigned for the first class) is really good and practical.
Julie Thompson
Dec 11, 2014 Julie Thompson rated it it was amazing
I've used this book often, I really enjoy the recipes he has in it. Oddly, I have a huge library of herbal books but this one motivated me to make several tinctures.
Christina
May 29, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely amazing, must have book for anyone interested in making your own herbal remedies. It may be a little overwhelming for someone just starting out.
Brian Rustle
Brian Rustle rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2014
Carri
Carri rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2008
Pettina
Pettina rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Jamie Fleck
Jamie Fleck rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
bethany
bethany rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Ginny
Ginny rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
beauregard
beauregard rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2008
Belladonnaandbones
Belladonnaandbones rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • The Way of Herbs
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Making Plant Medicine
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs

James Green - Male Health - a professional herbalist currently working and teaching in the San Diego area. He is the author of The Herbal Medicine-Makers Handbook and The Male Herbal. James was the owner and director of the California School of Herbal Studies in Sonoma Coun
More about James Green...