The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual

The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  408 ratings  ·  28 reviews
THE HERBAL MEDICINE-MAKER'¬?S HANDBOOK is an entertaining compilation of natural home remedies written by one of the great herbalists, James Green, author of the best-selling THE MALE HERBAL. Writing in a delightfully personal and down-home style, Green emphasizes the point that herbal medicine-making is fundamental to every culture on the planet and is accessible to every...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Crossing Press

To ask other readers questions about The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook

Sally
Oct 18, 2009 Sally rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Such a simple sentiment, but this passage has been paradigm-changing for me, not only in my herb and natural health studies, but also in general:

"Most herbalists I know strongly recommend that a student limit her studies to 'a few select herbs.' Get to know them well by learning to identify them,... touch, taste, smell, and use them. The energies of thirty to thirty-five herbs will enchant you and keep you sufficiently busy for the following year or two. Distinguished individuals from the remain...more
The nitty-gritty of herbal medicine making, laid out in a well organized and thoughtful way. James has a great conversational style to his writing, you will feel like a kind friend is right with you guiding your learning. I like that he sticks to just a few (25 or so) herbs that you are most likely to use, so you can get to know them really well. He also has a great sense of humor and so reading through this book is never dry! The lovely mucha-ish illustrations throughout the book are done by hi...more
Trace
Another interesting topic for me. In the past I've made batches of elderberry syrup and saved myself a bundle, as its expensive to buy! I'm ready to add a few more herbal/natural recipes to my repertoire.

UPDATE:

DONE! Didn't like it.. didn't find it to have a very comfortable flow.... couldn't get into it...and didn't like the new-agey feel to it.. read at least half of it and skimmed through the rest.. the author is obviously VERY knowledgeable about his craft... but I'll keep looking for a boo...more
Jonelle
Fun book if you are into your own medicine making. Lots of great recipes and ideas and in depth descriptions.
Amanda Klenner-labrow
Great, practical information on just 20 herbs - but good insight into each herb and how to make a lot of different types of herbal medicine with step by step instructions. It makes you practice american measurements to metric conversion - which is good. Wonderful recipes. Great voice. One of my top "herb books" that I recommend.
Zenaida Partin
Want to know how to make decoctions, fomentations, infusions, lotions, oils, tinctures, poultices, salves and syrups from herbs in your garden? Want to make your own flower essences? Then this is the book for you. Beginners in the world of herbal medicine may find some the chapters quite detailed especially in deciphering weight to volume dosages. I am still not ready for the more difficult recipes in this book. James Green's knowledge of herbs, plants and medicine is impressive and his writing...more
Summer Bock, Holistic Nutrition & Herbs
A great resource for learning every step of herbal medicine production. Great illustrations. Of all the books I have read in this genre, this one far exceeds all others in its quality as a technical manual. He explains the medicinal qualities of 30 herbs and discusses the best preparation for each. He has explanations for certain productions in this book that I have never before seen explained in writing. As a trained herbalist, I have previously only heard this information passed from teacher t...more
Sara McDonald
Green is knowledgeable about using heat and solvents to extract chemicals. I really liked that about this book. Though the book gives some brief discussion on therapeutic activity of certain herbs, it is more about the processing side of herbal medicine making. He references pagan spirituality frequently in terms of communicating with the plants, and a bit of earth-worship. Nevertheless, it's a well-crafted book from a person who clearly has the knowledge and skill to speak on the subject.
Heather
I am loving this book as a guide as I'm taking an herbalism class. I am really getting interested in learning more about plants, how to recognize, gather & heal with them. Such fascinating stuff!! Now as I'm reading the info on how to do everything, I am in the know as I've experienced a lot of it in my class. So exciting!! I'm just giddy!! This is definitely a good reference book that I am putting on my wish list for my home shelf.
Michele Hoover
I LOVE James Green ... always have. He has been one of my favorite herbalists, along with Susun Weed, since I first began my own herbal journey, many many moons ago.

This is a beautiful beginner's manual - an introduction to the philosophy, relationship with plants, tools and basic instructions for creating herbal medicines. James' writing is a joy to read, and this book includes a beautiful philosophy of health, beauty, and life.
Maja Haloway
THE foundational handbook for learning how to work with medicinal plant preparations. Provides detailed "how to" based on years of practice and research, from creating simple tinctures and infusions to the more esoteric preparations. The stories and anecdotes are both entertaining and highly educational.
Christine
i really like this book. james is reallyfunny and knowledgeable. tthis book covers a lot of topics and shows many different ways of making hherbal medicine. i think its better suited for intermediate studeents than begginners though. (i can actually spell, but my keboard is dying) :(
Kate
I am in the throes of this informative, loving and easily digestible text. As I write, I am also enrolled in an Herbalist class and feel that this will be a good go to after the class to reintegrate all that I have learned as well as give some options for me to play with.
Anne Cheshire
The best manual I have seen, an erudite writer with a sense of humour and spiritual awareness packs in a huge amount of usable information. Good for first-time herbalists and more experienced alchemists.
Christina
This is an absolutely amazing, must have book for anyone interested in making your own herbal remedies. It may be a little overwhelming for someone just starting out.
Rhonda Galigan mcleod
WONDERFUL guide! A must have for any home remedy amateur. He teaches everything from plant identification to making teas and tinctures. My 'go to' herbal manual.
Elizabeth
For my plant medicine class. What I've read of it (the pages assigned for the first class) is really good and practical.
Brooke Beasley
Educational & sentimental. I love Green's passion for plants. The reader can't help but get stirred by it.
Lizzie
Mar 27, 2013 Lizzie marked it as currently-referencing
I get the very distinct feeling I'll be referencing this book a lot in the coming months at herb school.
Teresa
A manual. Not a book to read unless you are interested in herbs. Very thorough descriptions.
Matthew
A great resource for practical applications of herbal medicine making.
May
Jun 13, 2011 May added it
Not bad for those trying to learn to be healthier using herbs
Kristine
As a herbalist, this is one of my favorite references.
Nicole Faires
The only book you need to start making herbal remedies.
Michelle
...a gem for those interested in preparing herbs...
Melissa
This is a must have reference book...
Rah~ri
Fun book !
Claudia
Jun 09, 2009 Claudia marked it as to-read
Shelves: holistic-health
GCNM book
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • The Way of Herbs
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug Resistant Bacteria (Storey Medicinal Herb Guide)
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • A Modern Herbal
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • The Complete Medicinal Herbal
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation

James Green - Male Health - a professional herbalist currently working and teaching in the San Diego area. He is the author of The Herbal Medicine-Maker¹s Handbook and The Male Herbal. James was the owner and director of the California School of Herbal Studies in Sonoma Cou...more
More about James Green...
The Male Herbal: The Definitive Health Care Book for Men and Boys