Start by marking “To Spoil the Sun” as Want to Read:
To Spoil the Sun

To Spoil the Sun

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A classic about the devastation of smallpox is back in hardcover after many years

"'You cannot imagine what it [smallpox] is like. It falls on everyone and soon there is no one who can stand. It is like a fire that sweeps through the town, an invisible fire. People begin to fall with fever, and blisters rise on their skin and turn to running sores, and there is no way to gi
Published September 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about To Spoil the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Spoil the Sun

Jimmy Westerman
I thought it was a good way to relate to American Indians but over all it was a great book.
Kevin Rod
This is a great book to learn about the history of the native Americans
Cassidy Schultz
Read about a young Cherokee girl grow up to be a woman, facing the 4 omens and the deadly sickness they represent in To Spoil the Sun. I recommend this book because it teaches us about what the Native Americans experienced, since we don't learn about it.
Mackenzie Knapp
The story is all about a young Cherokee girl growing with struggles and we follow her along her journey basically. Through this story is a 10/10 recommend must read.
Chris Connelly
I think that this book is an outstanding representative of how things were at the time of Smallpox entering America and how everything was at that time.
Cierra Litz
I believe the story was very interesting but pulled at the heartstrings while still teaching how the Native Americans lived in their time
Jenna Missanelli-griffin
I think this book is an excellent way to teach young adults about the realities of America's history with exploration.
Gavin Welsh
I thought that this book successfully mimiced that of the native american history.
Rebecca Osbaldeston
I enjoyed the book to spoil the sun but it was a little slow in some parts
Jenny
The story of a Cherokee girl coming of age in the early 16th century, also know as the beginning of European colonization. Tells the story of a girl, Rain Dove, as she comes of age, marries, has kids and loses most of her world to small pox. A peek into what being a girl is like in other times and cultures, I think I would have loved this when I was young. Pretty sophisticated for a J title (talks about sex and death, but not explicitly). An excellent afterward by the author talks about the unwr ...more
Artie
i thought it was a great book. it had a lot of suprises and suspense
Tamera Tillman
Sep 13, 2009 Tamera Tillman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any one
Book 9: The story of a Cherokee girl coming of age in the early 16th century, also known as the beginning of European colonization. This girl named Rain Dove tells , as she comes of age, marries, has kids and loses most of her world to small pox. A peek into what being a girl is like in other times and cultures, I loved this when I read this.
Tristan
I did not like this book very much at all because there was not very much suspense or action
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Midnight Horse Groundhogs Horse (Old) Long Man's Song Une jument extraordinaire The Midnight Horse