Start by marking “Halftime: Changing Your Game Plan from Success to Significance” as Want to Read:
Halftime: Changing Your Game Plan from Success to Significance

Halftime: Changing Your Game Plan from Success to Significance

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  388 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Is there life after success?'One of the most common characteristics of a person nearing the end of the first half (of the game of life) is that unquenchable desire to move from success to significance.'Bob Buford believes the second half of your life can be better than the first. Much better. But first, you need time to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your ...more
Published January 17th 1995 by Zondervan (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Halftime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halftime

Don Kaiser
I went into this book with a sense of dread--I had skimmed through it and saw the old "write your epitaph" exercise. I HATE that exercise, but this book quickly redeemed itself. "Allow yourself to listen for the bell. And before it tolls for you, allow it to be your wake-up call." Essentially Bob Buford tells his reader to get quiet and make peace with the past, not dwell on mistakes or become consumed with the effects they may have had. Rather, accept them as poignant markers to learn something ...more
George
Aug 02, 2009 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was a quick read, however the concepts behind it are essential in planning the second half of your life. he has some interesting ideas, if you are in the 40 to 50 yrs old range, to change you lifestile, to something more lasting and meaningfull; of course its up to you to decide what's meaning full. even though i read this book over a period of two days, i feel that I need to go back and re-read it again in order to digest what he is tryin to convey. If you are starting the second half ...more
Randall Hartman
Jun 18, 2013 Randall Hartman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by Matt Stover...who has been through his own "halftime" of sorts, I imagine, as his football career came to an end. The book is written primarily for individuals who have achieved some level of success or accomplishment and recognize that it is not satisfying...that there is more to life. The period where one feels these promptings and examines his life with a view toward making the remainder more meaningful is what the author calls "halftime." Buford writes from a uni ...more
MVV
Apr 03, 2013 MVV rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An average book on mid-life planning with a healthy dose of, what I call, "Christian pop psychology"; i.e. American style pseudo Christian theology used to rationalize the American culture of business success and personal ego gratification. If you are a typical American church goer that uses his/her religious beliefs to justify his/her chosen lifestyle, then this is a good tool for you to assess your mid-life life-plan.
Rick Ludwig
Half Time talked about the ability of some folks, nowadays, to retire in their fifties and contemplate the “second act” of their life, where just providing for the family is no longer the driver, but rather leaving something behind of value. I like that concept and hope to find a way to accomplish this, maybe through my writings.
Tim Chavel
This book has a lot of good information, but Bob Buford, the author, talks about the second half of your life serving the Savior. I understand that many people use the first part of their life building the resources needed to enjoy and serve the 2nd half of their life but shouldn't we as Christians do that our entire Christian life? I trust you will enjoy the quotes below:

Even more incredible is that, when he (Bob Buford) realized that what the Lord had made him capable of doing well was very di
Barry Davis
Feb 16, 2016 Barry Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by an outplacement client, this book is similar to Barbara Sher’s It’s Only Too Late if You Don’t Start Now. Buford makes the point of having two lives – the first half is what you do to make a living and the second half should be more significant. It may take some time between the first and second halves; some people may work at all three for a while. Designed to be used primarily by people seeking to make the transition earlier in their lives – forced into early retirement, outplac ...more
Dave Fordice
Jul 11, 2012 Dave Fordice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, for a great time in our lives. What joy to know that the second half doesn't have to be lived under the same pressures and stress.
Fred Leland
Nov 26, 2012 Fred Leland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring read for those of us hitting middle age and looking for a way to make a difference in yourself and all those around you.
Thomas
Dec 05, 2012 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really opens up options for those who feel like they should be doing more significant work with their life.
Drew Johnson

A bit simplistic but good counsel on focusing on using one's talents, to serve in significant ways in the second half of one's life. Slow down. Be deliberate. Ask what you wish to be remembered for. Repotting, changing, can stimulate growth. Make changes after exploring in low cost probes and leveraging existing platforms. Modern govt is not capable of taking care of community and social problems, nor is the free market. The "third sector" will need to fill the breach.

Some advice: 1) make peace
Lori
Oct 07, 2010 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. Everyone should read in their 30s/40s. The best is yet to come.
Homeschoolmama
May 17, 2014 Homeschoolmama rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Well, as I said earlier, I picked this book up b/c it was sitting in front of me one day at church. I was hesitant about it, afraid it was going to be one of those self-help, motivational rah-rah type of books. I think to some extent I was right, it was. I was drawn by the premise: that one's second half of life is better than the first and that this is b/c of of a shift in focus from success to significance. So while you're young, working hard, trying to build a career, you are stressed out, ru ...more
Doug Probst
Feb 22, 2015 Doug Probst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book in 2006 (estimated) because it was referred to me by a friend who "retired" early from his high paying exec position. I'm so glad I did because it was influential in my own career planning. As a faithful Christian, it changed my perspective significantly and helped me direct my career, "retirement", and transfer "success into significance"
Sue
Jul 04, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better "self help" Christian books I read this year. Refreshing new information to ponder on. After reading this book, I realized the I unconsciously was planning my half time and have entered it fairly well. I'm glad I read this book as it will remind me to do my half time well.
Josh Miller
Jul 22, 2013 Josh Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book that I picked up at a thrift store for $1 or less. However, the book and its message was pertinent to me at this stage of my life.

The author deftly paints a picture of one's life as a basketball game. He quotes the following in chapter 1, "The first half of life has to do with getting and gaining, earning and learning...the second half is more risky because it has to do with living beyond the immediate."

And Half Time - the name of the book - has to do with the time period when you
John
Nov 30, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for all men in their 30s-50s, but especially good for Christian men since it focuses on shifting from the world's success to eternal significance
Lori Ben-ezra
Apr 26, 2015 Lori Ben-ezra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to help inspire changes in perspective upon approaching middle age the author is a devout Christian, but it is possible to appreciate this book without personally holding those beliefs.
Cindy
Apr 13, 2016 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read, easy to read, really makes think...and plan for the second half of my time...
Chris
Feb 17, 2016 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I did review it but the ether ate my review.
Piti Yimmuang
Enfront of my life
Jeff Newbery
Oct 18, 2013 Jeff Newbery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been dealing with my wife's cancer and my Mom having some medical issues. My doctor has been amazing and this book was given to me by our financial advisor. It didn't just speak to me- it yelled at me loud and clear. This is exactly where I am in life right now mentally, spiritually, socially, and in every way. One of the best books I have ever read. I will be implementing many of the suggestions. Read it, give it to your friends, slow down and take it in.
Nick Woodall
I loved this book. Well written. Well researched. Well thought-out and presented. Good read.
Gary
Jan 19, 2014 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those thinking about retirement and meaning
Recommended to Gary by: Radix magazine
Bufford has some good points, some good comments and good questions. This is not a book of uniform quality throughout. It is instructive and turns my attention to the word significance rather than meaning. He also reminded me that all things are not for me to engage in, even if they are good and significant. It was a worthwhile read for me.

For more, see my blog.
Steve Miller
Jun 05, 2012 Steve Miller rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: over 40 years old
Halftime has to do with the second half of life. For that reason alone, I gave it the four stars. I needed to know that living the second half of life is different than the first half.

I thought the book could have been cut down by a third. I truly dislike the metaphor of "God in a box" that Buford consistently uses. The book is about 25 years old now and it feels dated. But the information is good for all that.
Mike
Nov 10, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book at an estate sale in 2013. I bought it because I had heard so much about the book, and this copy was signed by the author. The book did not disappoint. The premise is solid - the shift from striving for success to striving for significance. The book caused a good bit of introspection, which I always believe is good for the soul.
Steven Bullmer
Bob Buford has a great perspective on life. The first half is about "success;" the second half is about "significance." I think I spent too much time in the first half ... either that or I'm going to live to be 120! The book helped me to clarify some things about how I want to go about the second half of my life different than I approached the first half.
Hanju
Jan 20, 2014 Hanju rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Game changer.
Julie
Dec 20, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT BOOK!! It completely articulates my mid life career crisis. It is amazing to me how many of my very successful friends are stuck and feeling the same way. This book helped me get clearer around why my job wasn't fulfilling me and why even though I was successful, I was still empty. Thanks for helping me continue down my journey!
Veronica Knudson
Interesting book that leads to reflection about how I want to spend the 2nd half of my life. Well written, great questions. Written from a Christian perspective. Will re-read it soon with a journal at hand to reflect and respond to the questions. Reminded me in some ways of the Purpose Driven Life, which I thought was a great book.
  • Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World
  • The Man in the Mirror: Solving the 24 Problems Men Face
  • Descending Into Greatness
  • Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • Move: What 1,000 Churches Reveal about Spiritual Growth
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Pressure's Off: There's a New Way to Live
  • Choosing to Cheat: Who Wins When Family and Work Collide?
  • Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time
  • Embracing Obscurity: Becoming Nothing in Light of God’s Everything
  • Paradigms: The Business of Discovering the Future
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • More Natural Cures Revealed