Start by marking “2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle Works for any Sock Pattern!” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Sock knitters everywhere know the frustration of Second Sock Syndrome. It goes something like this: A cute new sock pattern and soft, foot-warming yarn lead to many happy knitting hours, resulting in . . . ONE sock. The first sock is done (and it's adorable!) but pattern distraction sets in. Who wants to knit the same project all over again? There are so many new projects ...more
Spiral-bound
Published December 12th 2007 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published December 12th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 2-at-a-Time Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2-at-a-Time Socks

Megan
Jan 15, 2009 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any knitter who's in for a mild challenge
Recommended to Megan by: Debi Seymour
Shelves: non-fiction, own
Excellent! The directions are clearer than most, and include a guide to picking up stitches that's the best I've ever read. I love the patterns and how versatile they are, and the sizing directions. Already 75% done with Pitter Patter, next up Frolic, and then something sweet for myself :) The only thing I would recommend to readers is if you've never tried one sock on one needle, DON'T start with two. It gets really confusing if you don't already understand how to knit a single sock on a single ...more
Melissa
I have to give it four stars, for crying out loud. I wrote it after all.
Jennifer Defoy
I like the technique that is presented. However I am having some trouble figuring it out. I think that with a little bit of free time and minimal distractions that I will be able to figure it out.

One thing that I do like about this book is that all the patterns can be adapted to allow for DPN knitting. Which, for someone that is having trouble getting the 2 at a time on one circular thing down I think it is a good idea.

There are quite a few sock patterns in this book that I do want to try. The
Miss Mouse
I recently learned using circular needles to knit one sock at a time (Cat Borhdi's book Socks Soar), so I was intrigued when I saw this. It seems to be straight forward instructions. As soon as I finish the 2nd socks I'm working on, I want to try this method out. I think it would be especially useful when making small modifications to a pattern, but forget to write it down, and invariably forget about it when knitting the 2nd sock of the pair.
Kari Trumbo
I do like the patterns in this book and some of the helpful hints are great. I do wish that the pictures matched the actual pattern. In some cases the picture shows a crew sock and the pattern is for calf length sock. If I wasn't fairly new to sock knitting, I probably would have realized what was going on with the pattern before getting so far along, but I didn't. One thing I would like to say is that heals of these socks end up HUGE, if you do try her patterns, do it her way once and if you fi ...more
Kel
I have the first edition of this book and my first complaint is that the pattern shown on the cover isn't included in the patterns in the book. WTH?! I see now that the book has a different cover so perhaps I wasn't the only person ticked off by this HUGE error.

That aside, however, this method intrigues me and after several failed attempts over the past three years I think I may have actually figured it out. Maybe. :) I'm still working on the legs of my first pair so we'll see as time goes by h
Alicia
I tried one pair of socks from this book, but read the 2-at-a-time instructions wrong when it came to starting the heel. I tried to rip back those rows, but couldn't figure out how to get the socks back on the needles. This was my first attempt at socks. Since then, I made baby socks on dpn's for an expecting friend. That helped me understand the construction of the heel of the sock. Today, after much procrastinating for fear of messing it up again, I cast on a new pair of socks from the 2-at-a- ...more
Mary
I didn't think her method was worth the trouble but I did like some of the patterns.

I've now looked up the corrections for the book and see why I was having so much trouble with the technique. If I printed the corrections out there'd be seven pages. Seven. And a lot of them are on the technique itself's pages, not just patterns. I don't think I'll try to make anything from this book. I wouldn't trust that any of the patterns were right. Even the ones without corrections, I'd just figure they had
Anne
Feb 04, 2012 Anne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I liked this book. I have read many books on doing 2 at a time socks on circulars with one circular or two. By many I mean about 10. I own a few and I have knitted about 4-5 pairs of socks on circulars, two at the same time. This book wasn't as detailed or didn't offer as much additional information as some I have added to my collection.

I read this one from the library. I tend to do that with knitting books, then I buy the ones that have what I want. I have the most trouble with turning the hee
Kim
Bought it awhile ago, tried a pair, messed it up. I'm ready to try again, but now I'm curious about the top-down-2-at-a-time technique. And I have 3 projects on the sticks, one slightly missing that I really need to complete before the other 2. Gotta search for it and hope I didn't leave it somewhere. And am interested in a couple of other projects...sigh.
Kristin
So if you’ve shied away from socks because they just seemed too complicated (or because you hate working on double-pointed needles)—or if you’ve found yourself looking for one-legged friends to bestow your single socks upon—give 2-At-A-Time Socks a try.

See the full review at NightsAndWeekends.com: http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
Katie
After checking it out from the library, I loved it so much I bought it. The technique is clear, well explained and well illustrated. I actually want to knit all the patterns. In fairness, I am already comfortable with the Magic Loop technique.
Andrea
I'm loving this method for knitting socks. It's awesome to see the progress and when i'm done, i've actually got a pair of socks instead of having to start all over for sock #2. I'm working on the berry pattern, easy repeat, in a blue/white yarn.
First edition of the book includes lots of errata. Took a lot of effort to get the corrections (repeated e-mails to the publisher) and then updating my copy of the book. After all that, it turns out I HATE, HATE, HATE this technique.
Batya7
A bit less stellar than I'd expected. I've seen this technique on video but wanted a text to follow. I like the many sock patterns in the book but most are short (not knee-high). A good book for basic library.
Jordan
Feb 02, 2010 Jordan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I love the patterns from this book! Even as an avid knitter, I have avoided socks and DPNS. This book makes socks amazingly simple. I cannot wait for the toe-up book by Melissa Morgan-Oakes.
Theresa
Not sure that I am capable at this point of making two socks at the same time. I am attempting to make one sock that fits. If that works out, I may revisit this book.

All patterns are cuff down.
Kerry
I used to own a copy of this book and I thought it would make my socks go faster. Not a chance. It seemed more difficult and it seemed to suck the joy out of making socks (for me anyway)
Elaine Nelson
My group used (mostly) the techniques in this book for a sock knit-along project. Didn't actually knit any of the patterns in the book, although some looked intriguing.
Laura Kelley
This is an excellent book. It illustrates the technique very easily. If you want to learn to knit 2 at a time with only one circular needle I recommend it.
Meryl
I like the idea. The directions look clear. But I didn't have time (in the time I had this book checked out from the library) to try a pattern.
Lorri
The book isn't bad, I just lack the ability to learn a new technique and the coordination to handle two balls of yarn at once.
Anne
Still struggling to master this method of sock knitting, but I will do it! So so success. I am getting better though.
Brat
Mar 14, 2012 Brat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Magic Loop lovers, sock knitters
Shelves: knitting
I enjoyed working thru the process to learn 2AAT socks. This should make my life much easier.
Cindy Williams
I enjoyed learning this technique. The book is well written with easy to follow illustrations.
Linda
Not sure I'll actually knit 2 at a time, but I do like many of the patterns
Fangirl
It does show an interesting technique, but I have not yet tried it.
Patti
still working on cast-on method while I look through the book
Leslie Jem
For when I really want to be a productive sock knitter.
Shannon
trying to learn to knit socks before christmas...
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • Getting Started Knitting Socks
  • Knitting Around
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!
  • Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • The Knitting Experience Book 1: The Knit Stitch, Inspiration & Instruction
  • Folk Shawls
  • Knitter's handbook
  • Knitting Circles Around Socks: Knit Two at a Time on Circular Needles
  • Lace Style
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks Teach Yourself Visually Circular Knitting