Start by marking “Sofie Metropolis (Sofie Metropolis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sofie Metropolis (Sofie Metropolis, #1)

Sofie Metropolis (Sofie Metropolis #1)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  1,940 ratings  ·  169 reviews
Sofie Metropolis should be married. But when she caught her groom and her maid of honor carrying on with each other in the church, Sofie canceled the wedding. She took the honeymoon by herself, "and "she kept "all" the presents, including a small apartment building filled with just the sort of quirky tenants you'd expect in an old Queens neighborhood like Astoria.
Sofie sh
Published April 4th 2006 by Tor Books (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sofie Metropolis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sofie Metropolis

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Cozy Mystery Series
175th out of 584 books — 1,611 voters
One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
287th out of 1,072 books — 1,247 voters

More lists with this book...

2 1/2 stars
I really thought I would enjoy this book. It sounded good...I've enjoyed Stephanie Plum and I really liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Problem is that this book is like a million different recycled stories with barely any cohesion. Sofie is an okay character--not unlikeable, but also not too interesting. She seems to ramble on a lot, but never really thinks anything through.

There are plenty of Greek references...there isn't one moment in this book that you will forget that Sofie is Gre
Laura de Leon
Sofie Metropolis was probably closer to 3.5 stars. I'm wondering if I'd read the printed version rather than listening to the audio, would I have spent less of my reading time comparing it to [Janet Evanovich] and Stephanie Plum.

Sofie's the same kind of fish out of water, stumbling into crazy situations. Except that she's trying to be a P.I. rather than a bounty hunter. And her wacky family is Greek, not Italian. And she caught her ex cheating at the church, rather than after they married.

The go
David
This book is billed as a cross between "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (which I've never seen) and the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. While the Greco-American culture was certainly well featured-- it was pretty darn close to a Stephanie Plum novel-- in fact, it was either a huge homage or a carefully plotted plagarism.

Similarities:

Stephanie is hot for a mysterious guy named Ranger who is like super-mercenary-bounty hunter- spy.

Sofie is hot for a mysterious guy named Porter who is like a su
Connie N.
When I started this, I wasn't impressed because it seemed as though it was going to be one of those chick-lit books where the author tries too hard to be funny and it doesn't really come together. But as the book went on, either she or I became more comfortable, and it all started to fall into place. Sofie is a self-deprecating amusing Greek woman who looks at life in a somewhat skewed but funny way. She has worked at various jobs and is currently a new PI working for her Uncle Spyros (who we di ...more
Kelly
I have read quite a few Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum knockoff novels/series to keep me laughing until the next Stephanie Plum in the series comes out. None of them have lived up to Stephanie Plum, Joe Morelli, and Ranger, but this series, which is obviously an attempt to capture the same humor, romance, and murder mystery that Evanovich includes in her Plum series, is actually satisfying. It is definitely a copycat of Evanovich's style and plot (the main character even reads the Stephanie Plum ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"On her wedding day, right before the ceremony, right there in the Greek Orthodox church, Sofie Metropolis discovered her groom and her maid of honor in each other's arms. Sofie took this as a sign, and since then, she's been doing her best to confound her own, and her family's, expectations.
First, she is no longer waiting tables at either her father's or her grandfather's dueling Greek restaurants in Astoria, Queens. Second, she kept the engagement ring (the garbage disposal choked on it
Ginger
As you can tell from the summary, there's a lot going on in this starter series novel, but it's all good. I quite enjoyed this book like a spritz of water in the face in the heat of summer. It reads much like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series but there's no Grandma Mazur and Sofie's mother is much more overbearing. It does have a great sense of humour much like Evanovich that had me laughing out loud and sharing parts with my husband.

There's kooky characters in general within Sofie's famil
Tory
This book made me want to tear my eyes out. It was terrible. Terr-i-ble.

I thought it would be clever chick-lit.

But it wasn’t big and it wasn't clever. It was such a blatant rip-off of Stephanie Plum that I was appalled from the first page, then about half-way through the author actually mentioned both Janet Evanovich and Stephanie Plum. Like mentioning who you are ripping off makes it alright.

So. Very. Bad. It makes the Stephanie Plum novels look like ground breaking literature.
Joanne

This was a very entertaining audiobook. Reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum novels.

Sofie is a budding PI with her uncle’s firm. She’s investigates a lost dog, vampires and a cheating spouse. She recently found her soon to be husband cheating on her with her maid of honor. Her antics land her in some funny situations. Sofie is a fan of frappes and her old convertible Mustang. She’s also got her eye on hunky Australian Jake Porter who likes to fiddle under
Katherine
I will continue reading this book, but it is so much like Janet E's books that it isn't even funny. Not sure how an author gets away with that. I bought it so I will read it.

This is just too hard to finish. Not funny, not entertaining, not suspenseful, not anything. Too many really good books to read to spend anymore time on this one. I hate not finishing a book but I gave this one the old college try.
Lisa
It's in a genre I've been reading lately...single girl detective/PI's/ bounty hunters. I guess the most disappointing thing is it's like an Evanovich novel, only she's Greek-American and a PI instead of a bounty hunter. They borrowed heavily from Evanovich, but they are entertaining nonetheless.
Jean
Even though this book is the same formula as the Stephanie Plum series, it was well done and fun. Sophie is a PI just learning the game and gets herself into a few jams. Some fun characters and a Greek family round out the scenario.
Cathleen
1/2 star. A poor [wo]man's Stephanie Plum meets "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Disappointing both as mystery and as humor. Name check of Evanovich only highlights that the authors must have realized how much they were cannibalizing.
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Michele
Terrible rip off of the Stephanie Plum series. I did not finish it.
Jenny
Yes, the story is a lot like Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, and yes, sometimes I felt like this author took all the Greek references and stereotypes right out of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but despite all that, I found myself enjoying it.

If I think too much about it, I might start talking about how some of the characters were a little 2-dimensional (Like, Porter, her Mother, her Rosie), but what I ended up coming away from when I was done with this book was that I kinda like Sofie.

I liked that she
Angela
Sep 28, 2010 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Evanovich or Lutz fans.
Shelves: tori-carrington
Here's another fun P.I. series to keep you entertained! Sofie Metropolis is on the case! Working at her mostly retired uncle's Private Investigator office along with the quirky, gum popping office manager. Of course what's an entertaining P.I. series without the mysterious hunk!? Don't fear...the mysterious & hunky Jake Porter will steam things up!

The book takes place in Astoria, Queens. Where if you haven't guessed it already Sofie & her Greek family live & work. Of course you can'
Heather
Why such weak reviews? It was a well done book, and a great way to pass some time drinking tea and escaping. Yes there were some similarities to Janet E.s Stephanie Plum series, but I liked it cause it was less wacky, and had more heart. As for the mystery, I was just a clueless as our main character, as to what was going on, and when it all came together, I was happy with the results.

Tori Carrington is actually the pen name of a Husband and wife team who write many, many romance novels, you kn
Lynn
This was a good book but I think it suffers from a comparison to Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. This book was good, I enjoyed it -- but it wasn't "laugh out loud almost wet your pants you are laughing so hard" funny ... and there are scenes in Janet Evanovich's books which are that funny.

Sofie is from a good Greek family, she has grown up in the neighborhood and everyone knows her, her family, and everything about her. She almost marries the 'good Greek' husband but she finds him in a compro
Mandolin
When Sofie Metropolis found her groom canoodling with her maid of honor on their wedding day (in the church, no less!) she left on her honeymoon WITHOUT him and never looked back. Now, she's returned home and established herself in the small apartment building that was her parents' wedding gift and where she's stashed all her unreturned wedding gifts. Sofie refuses to return to her father's restaurant as a waitress and instead takes on the unlikely job of private investigator for her uncle's PI ...more
Christyn
Sofie Metropolis was an okay read for me, it was a decent way to pass some time - that is I liked it but I didn't love it despite the fact I really wanted to. I went into this thinking that I was going to love this book - didn't exactly happen but I liked it well enough. That being said, I can't help but compare it to another series that was actually mentioned in this book - Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. There were some very similar characteristics and aspects to this book that were d ...more
Ann Goddard
There seems to be a small genre of mystery fiction that features an ethnic young single woman working as a private eye. This one is Greek American. The apparently-required romantic aspects are pretty toned down here, which is fine. It's humorous, and the main character likable. Heard it as an audio book, and the reader was good with the different voices, as well as that of the protagonist. The mystery was rather inconsequential, but I enjoyed hanging out with the characters.
Neets
Feb 01, 2009 Neets rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like to read crime or mystery, anyone who like Evanovich and Stephanie Plum
I can't help feeling the character in this book is like a Greek version of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum.

-Both have very specific heritages and families that take huge roles in their lives (Greek Vs Plum's Italian)
-Both work in crime and investigation (PI Vs. Plum's Bounty Hunter)
-Both work for their families (semi-retired uncle Vs. Plum's creepy cousin)
-Both work with a busty secretary in their offices (Rose Vs. Plum's Connie)
-Both have a mother who wants to marry them off and feed them a c
Sara
Apr 08, 2012 Sara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum
A single gal in her twenties, with no career ambitions other than to not be a waitress in the family business. She has her very own apartment and misfortune seems to follow her constantly. So, she goes to her uncle and tries to work for him as a PI. A handsome bounty hunter type is always around to take care of her. Her fridge is always empty, so she gets her meals at her Mom's house. She wears only jeans and tees despite her Mom trying to get her to dress nice, and her Mom is constantly trying ...more
Georgene
Imagine Stephanie Plum from the series of books by Janet Evanovitch. Now, imagine her as Greek and living in Brooklyn, New York and working as a PI for her Greek uncle. And there is even an annoying cop and a handsome hunk Australian mystery man added to the mix.

While not a bad book, it's not very original. On the other hand, it was readable.
Sheri Lind
This book was fine. It is not the best chick lit I've ever read but the character shows some promise of developing into something interesting. It is also not the worst chick lit I've read. It was sometimes funny, sometimes annoying and sometimes suspenseful. Just enough to read another one to see if it gets better....
Celine
I agree with many poster on this site. The book is too similar to Stephanie Plum and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and too poorly written for me to care. I made it to page 96 and nothing of interest happened. Too many other good books to read to waste my time reading this.
Linda
I hate giving bad reviews, but I honestly disliked this book so much that I couldn't even finish it. The story and the characters were so cliché! The main character is so sex starved that she sees something sexual in everything around her. I imagine this book is probably tame compared to the steamy novels the author usually writes, but I still thought it was ridiculous. A big part of what killed it for me was the narration. The voice actress they used was terrible. It would have been better if s ...more
Leigh Ann - Silver Wings Reviews
I have to agree with everyone else on the Stephanie Plum parallel. Heck, she even climbs in the tub with her favorite Stephanie Plum novel! I recommended this book to a friend and told her it was Stephanie Plum meets Big Fat Greek Wedding...then I read the reviews and laughed because I see I'm not the only one that made this connection. I'm a big Plum fan...well, actually a big Evanovich fan, so you'd think I would be rolling my eyes at the parallels between these books. But, I honestly enjoyed ...more
Angie
If you like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series and the My Big Fat Greek Wedding movie, you'll love this book! Can't wait to read the next in the series! Also I listened to the audiobook version and the narrator did a great job! Her sense of humor and timing was very entertaining.
  • A Dose of Murder (Pauline Sokol, #1)
  • What Looks Like Crazy (Crazy, #1)
  • Knock Off (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #1)
  • Unzipped (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #1)
  • Bubbles Unbound (Bubbles Yablonsky, #1)
  • Dating Can Be Murder (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #1)
  • Dating Dead Men
  • Cooking Up Murder (A Cooking Class Mystery, #1)
  • Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1)
  • No Such Thing As A Secret (A Brandy Alexander Mystery #1)
  • Sex, Murder And A Double Latte (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #1)
  • The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • The Miracle Strip
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • This Pen For Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1)
  • The Good Friday Murder (Christine Bennett, #1)
Author Tori Carrington is the penname of husband and wife writing team Lori and Tony Karayianni.

Hands down, penning a bio is always the most difficult writing challenge we take on. What do we say? What do we keep a secret? Considering we've been writing together for over twenty-two years...well, that reveals more about us than anything you'll likely read here. We're fiction writers simply because
More about Tori Carrington...

Sofie Metropolis (6 books)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Foul Play (Sofie Metropolis, #3)
  • Working Stiff (Sofie Metropolis, #4)
  • Love Bites (Sofie Metropolis, #5)
  • Queens Ransom (Sofie Metropolis, #6)
Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2) Foul Play (Sofie Metropolis, #3) Working Stiff (Sofie Metropolis, #4) Love Bites (Sofie Metropolis, #5) Shameless

“There are three things you need to learn in life, Sofie. First, how to dance like you're alone. Second, to love like you mean it. And, third, you need to learn to laugh at the rain. Learn how to do those three things, and you'll be happy, always. ” 6 likes