Start by marking “Faust's Metropolis: A History of Berlin” as Want to Read:
Faust's Metropolis: A History of Berlin

Faust's Metropolis: A History of Berlin

As Berlin prepares to become a re-unified Germany's capital at the end of this century, as well as the European Union's leading city, its historical role at the heart of the nation and the continent has never been so crucial or less recognized. No other book before this has fully examined Berlin's inspiring achievements and catastrophic errors.In this magisterial new work, ...more
Hardcover, First Edition (U.S.), 976 pages
Published March 18th 1998 by Carroll & Graf Publishers Inc. (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Faust's Metropolis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faust's Metropolis

Ren
Jan 08, 2011 Ren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, ww2, germany
This book is massive, so if you're not totally into Berlin history, don't attempt it. Assuming you are, it's completely readable, and a good comprehensive introduction to a lot of lesser publicized historical areas. The older history gets off to a somewhat slow start (I thought so, at least) but if you can stick with it until Frederick the Great shows up, the rest is completely worth it.
Oct 08, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting and well informed history.
Good for anyone interested in the Weimar period in Germany.
James Folan
May 17, 2017 James Folan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive and very readable history is sadly dated (1999) and marred by several curious errors, ie: the synagogue on Oranienburgerstr. was not burnt to the ground during Kristallnacht (p430); the Hansaviertel is north, not south, of the Tiergarten (p704); the details of the first Wall victims are incorrect (p723); most of the hostages were not killed during the Mogadischu hijack rescue (p783).
This potentially brilliant work needs updating and correcting.
Peveril
Mar 04, 2017 Peveril rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read a rather long preview, the opening (from 1999) about what will Berlin become now very outdated. The next cgapters about movement of people's around the area which became Berlin very interesting. I dont now know if I will have patience for the next 900 oages.
Mikko
Asiallinen katsaus Berliinin historiaan keskittyy ymmärrettävästi 1800-luvun jälkipuolen ja 1900-luvun tapahtumiin, jotka kiinnostivat itseäni vähemmän. Vain silmäilin toista maailmansotaa käsittelevät kaksi laajaa lukua lävitse; lukemani perusteella Richien teos ei tuo mitään lisää esimerkiksi Kolmannen valtakunnan nousun ja tuhon kaltaiseen laajaan selvitykseen tapahtumista. Myös ideologisesti Faust's Metropolis on William L. Shirerin klassikon linjoilla.

Kuitenkin kirja on hyvä yleisselvitys S
Chris
Sep 24, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truth in advertising - I only read through 1871.

I am curious about the history of Prussia, since that is where about ALL of my ancestors come from, and I stumbled across this tome in the local public library. This book is a THOROUGH study of all aspects of Berlin and it's importance in European history. It had many rises and falls, but it's big break came in the 19th Century because of the confluence of Bismarck, the Industrial Revolution and...the railroads.

They attempted a revolution in 1848 w
Wayne
Aug 21, 2011 Wayne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history

I'm sure this is going to be a BIG meaty read!!!!

Taking some German lessons a few years ago began to draw back the veil of mystery which has always
made this language incomprehensible even though it is akin to English.Prior to that I had begun attending the German Film Festival in Sydney and still do, a great way of getting a feel for a people and place.
Presently Nancy Mitford's "Voltaire in Love" is giving me an excellent introduction to Frederick the Great and his relationship with that French
Zelmer Wilson
Jun 16, 2016 Zelmer Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have only become interested in German history recently. I have read another book about the history of Berlin, Berlin and so was already familiar with Berlin's history. This book went further, starting in the Middle Ages, when Berlin was founded. The chapters I most enjoyed were about the First World War, the Golden Twenties, and the Nazis. I also enjoyed the chapters about the Second World War, the Battle of Berlin, and the Cold War. I was disappointed that the book ended before Berlin became ...more
Albert Lusnia
May 08, 2016 Albert Lusnia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It didn't strike me as a history of the city per se, but rather more like a history of Germany/Central Europe through the prism of the city. Mostly very good overviews. The author seemed a little weak on Roman history, and probably could have just as easily started a little later than that. I thought her first hand experiences and the information about Cold War Berlin, the DDR, and the immediate post-Cold War period were very interesting.

The book can also be used and an introduction to various t
P. D. Griffith
Although interesting, this is a very dense historical reference chronicling the history of Germany and Berlin. You have to be strong of heart, or very very interested to be able to get through this enormous book.
Joanne Gass
Aug 20, 2014 Joanne Gass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since we were going to Berlin, I set out to read this tome before we left. It is very long and sometimes slow; still it is a very good book; the introduction is especially good, I think. Well researched, balanced, fair, scholarly. Just good.
Riley Johnson
Jun 22, 2011 Riley Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite history books. The reading is tough but rewarding.
Rebecca
Aug 08, 2007 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finish-someday
I used this book for reference in my undergrad thesis. I love her writing style, she conveys the history like a story. Very fascinating city to learn about the tumultuous history of this city.

Jan 03, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I lived in Berlin one summer so I read this book. Fascinating stuff. It made my time there far more meaningful than it would have been otherwise.
Jun 13, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book added immensely to my understanding of German history! Fascinating stuff!
Karen Williams
Aug 16, 2012 Karen Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The writing is superb and the history is astonishing. Cannot wait to make my first visit to Berlin.
Apr 22, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The bible of Berlin history--European history, really, from the point of view of my latest favorite city. Best if you know your way around here; good reading regardless.
Davidberlin
Jan 14, 2010 Davidberlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitive history of Berlin.
James
I think you have to read it to have any hope of understanding Germany, even though Berlin isn't indicative of Germany as a whole (which is part of its brilliance).
Butters
Aug 29, 2008 Butters rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: History readers
One of the best books I have read in the past ten years. I couldn't put it down and despite it's length I hated to see it end.
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Everly Reynolds
Everly Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2013
DUONGBAONGOCANGELBABYBOOTS.
DUONGBAONGOCANGELBABYBOOTS. rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Paul Kruse
Paul Kruse rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2016
Joe Pudlewski
Joe Pudlewski rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2012
Geoffrey Hempill
Geoffrey Hempill rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2010
Rclv
Rclv rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2016
Joel Hung
Joel Hung rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013