Start by marking “High Performance Web Sites” as Want to Read:
High Performance Web Sites

High Performance Web Sites

Want your web site to display more quickly? This book presents 14 specific rules that will cut 25% to 50% off response time when users request a page. Author Steve Souders, in his job as Chief Performance Yahoo!, collected these best practices while optimizing some of the most-visited pages on the Web. Even sites that had already been highly optimized, such as Yahoo! ...more
Published September 18th 2007 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about High Performance Web Sites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Performance Web Sites

Miloš
Aug 05, 2015 Miloš rated it liked it
Interesting reading with a lot good advices. 3.5 stars
Greenicicle
Feb 28, 2011 Greenicicle rated it liked it
Shelves: developer-books
Need-to-know knowledge about we site performance, in a very compact form. On the other hand, much of this book has been distilled into the YSLOW tool suite, and a thorough sift through its documentation and some experimentation make reading the book kind of redundant.
Katie Cunningham
This is a must-read for anyone that ever touches a website. There's tips for front-end people, back-end people, and ops. Even the introduction blew my mind.

This will make you want to tear down every website you've ever built and make it as efficient as possible, even if it only gets four views a month.
Eric Phetteplace
Jul 29, 2012 Eric Phetteplace rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who build enterprise websites
Shelves: lis-web
A good overview of building performant websites, especially the first few chapters. Souders' book is essential primarily because no one else has published a competing work that does such a thorough overview of web performance. I particularly liked the focus on the network layer as that's the piece I know the least about, so learning about caching & HTTP headers was very useful.
Some the advice may be a bit outdated; the number of parallel downloads allowed in browsers has certainly changed &a
Tami
Oct 09, 2008 Tami rated it it was amazing
I remember when I first started using the Internet. Dial ups were extremely slow at the time, so I’d type in a URL, then go make a sandwich. By the time I came back, hopefully the page would be loaded.

Today, we expect more. Often if a page takes more than a few moments to load, I don’t bother. I tend to equate professional with quick. If a site doesn’t load quickly or if parts of the page are slow, I naturally assume that the information provided might be as shabbily compiled. I simply move ont
Mohammad Abu-Ali
Mar 13, 2016 Mohammad Abu-Ali rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
Great book on building websites that follow best practices for performance. This book reminds us how important it is to understand how the web works so that we work with it -not against it- it all terms, including performance. The book has one chapter about best practices for Ajax. Ajax back then -in 2007 when the book was published- was a relatively new trend. I hope that his other book "Even Faster Web Sites" would further elaborate on this part.
At some points in the book, I felt like I alread
Caitlin (Ayashi)
Aug 03, 2015 Caitlin (Ayashi) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-development
I think by now this book is getting a bit dated (literally asked myself "wtf is a css expression?") but it's well written and still has a lot of relevant stuff. I honestly didn't really know much about http headers before reading this, so I learned a lot about that.

As others have mentioned, a lot of these specific points are covered if you just run the YSlow tool. Personally though, I like that this book not only directly shows examples to prove that one solution is faster than another, but also
Mikey Cooper
Feb 22, 2013 Mikey Cooper rated it it was amazing
An excellent read for anyone creating web sites. While a bit dated now, the background information and advice is nonetheless a must have for optimizing performance. While many people now use things like bundling, CSS sprites, and script placement to increase performance, they're often doing so without understanding why it helps. This book helps fill in those gaps and adds in a wealth of information about browser caching, headers, proxy considerations, etc. It's well worth the few hours it'll tak ...more
Arun Mahendrakar
Nov 02, 2014 Arun Mahendrakar rated it it was amazing
I've got to admit that although I knew a good number of these suggestions, there were a couple that I did not know at all. Yes, YSlow does tell you the 'how to make it better' part, this book gives you more details on what happens behind the screens for some of the rules.

The other reason I liked this book was because this is pretty much the one place where I have to come to get all the information. I added a couple of optimizations to my website while I was reading this book myself.

All-in-all, w
Mike
Apr 10, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: development
This book provides 14 ways to speed up how a page renders itself in a browser. Many of the techniques presented are trivial to implement, and most of them have little in the way of significant drawbacks. As code optimization is often an exercise in fabricating a sufficient complexity of rope in order to hang one's self, it was refreshing to find simple means of improving performance.

At less than 150 pages High Performance Web Sites leaves little reason to ignore looking into this subject if you
Jeremy
Jul 29, 2008 Jeremy rated it liked it
I would probably give this book a higher rating except that the information contained is already so available online, and in the author's invaluable YSlow FireBug plugin. I had hoped for lengthier explanations beyond what is already found online, and was surprised by the only ~120 pages of the book.

That said, the information contained is very accurate and useful. It is nice to have a hard copy of the data found in YSlow.
Ala' Abuhijleh
Dec 25, 2010 Ala' Abuhijleh rated it it was amazing
Amazing! a must read book for all web developers and a real eye opener on front end performance.

This book suggests a lot of solutions to real- world problem issues. This book with "High performance Web Sites" recommendations will have huge impact on the performance of any Web Site.

It's really a very interesting reading, from the first to the last page!

Thanks to everybody who contributed in writing this great book
Chuck
Jul 12, 2010 Chuck rated it really liked it
An excellent resource on how to wring better performance out of a website.

Souders provides a series of ideas and approaches based upon his experiences. Further, I found it well written and highly readable. He knows how to present ideas while not dragging the reader into a morass of irrelevant detail.

I highly recommend that anyone responsible for a website read this book.
Christoffer Klang
Most of the stuff in here are things that we take for granted today. On the one hand that leaves me with lots of respect for the material but on the other hand it feels like reading things you already know which makes it a bit tedious at times.

Nevertheless a good refresher, source of ocational insights and very detailed argumentations. Well worth a read through.
Jakub
Jun 06, 2010 Jakub rated it really liked it
If you've ever made even a small webpage, you'd be happy to read that book. Very straight to the point advices, with hard numbers and real-life proofs. Of course this kind of knowledge is ephemeral, as things evolve and change from day to day - but that makes it even more important for you, to read it as soon as possible.
Trevan Hetzel
Apr 25, 2014 Trevan Hetzel rated it really liked it
While a few years dated now, all of the points in this book are still relevant to speeding up modern websites. The first 4 or 5 chapters cover super important topics that every front-end web developer should be doing, but quite a bit of the rest of the advice is either not as pressingly important or more server-side tweaks.
Ala' Abuhijleh
Dec 25, 2010 Ala' Abuhijleh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a real eye-opener and tremendous shift in web optimization. Very practical, straight to the point and valuable. You cannot consider yourself a web developer if you haven't read this book and totally understand it. You can read the whole book over the week end, go and get it :)

You think you're an expert in web development! wait till you read this book!
Set Kyar Wa Lar
Mar 21, 2016 Set Kyar Wa Lar rated it it was amazing
This book is **must read** book for all developers yeah. When I am on the half way of reading this book, I try to implement some of his rules. And I check my site status. It fast! And I just finished reading now yeah. Will be implement all those. No regret for the 5 stars!
Paujitas Galman
Feb 20, 2014 Paujitas Galman rated it really liked it
It was a really technical book to understand the ways to enhance the performance on web, BUT.. it is focused mainly in BACK-END configurations and best practices and not for a front-end perspective which I was hoping to find. But in general, it was ok.
Daryn Nakhuda
Aug 08, 2008 Daryn Nakhuda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: web developers
A must read for any web developer. It's an easy but extremely informative read, revealing a lot of non-intuitive optimization tips. Steve is the creator of the YSlow plugin, and perhaps the leading expert in this field.
Mark Cheverton
Jan 27, 2008 Mark Cheverton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Essential reading for all web developers. I can't recommend this highly enough - with most developers focus on back-end optimisation, this book clearly shows that there are significant gains to be achieved on the front-end.
Ulina
Feb 27, 2011 Ulina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech-books
Most of the stuff I already knew but it was still in interesting read. If I am every part of building a major site from scratch again, I know the majority of stuff I need to know to keep the front end efficient.
Dave
Oct 14, 2008 Dave rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: webmasters, it
Is there anything as beautiful as a well crafted website? Great book with extremely concrete points that (nearly) any web programmer can follow to improve their website's front-end performance.
Jamie
Apr 08, 2011 Jamie rated it liked it
This book is straightforward and definitely worth reading if you haven't encountered any of the ideas he presents (such as minification, gzip, and expires headers) before. It is critical for web developers to be aware of the topics he presents.
Nelson Correia
Jun 13, 2016 Nelson Correia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This read covers the basics and much more.

Additional resources are included for further investigation. I particularly appreciate the complex concepts explained in simple terms and the section on E-Tags.
Micah Rasmussen
(140 pages)
.. whenever I see an O'Reilly book I tend to pick it up and buy it. Such crucial information made very accessible. If you are a webmaster of a site that is rapidly growing you should definitely read this and keep it with you.
Tae
Oct 15, 2011 Tae rated it really liked it
Shelves: web, non-fiction
A so well explained text, that certainly I'll buy the second part: Even Faster Web Sites: Performance Best Practices for Web Developers.
Peter
Jul 13, 2010 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, computing
Not much information you can't get from the freely available Yslow recommendations. There is a little bit of extra flavor though and it's nice to have it in book form.
Giuseppe Pizzimenti
molto illuminante , ed anche piuttosto pratico, ma da questo punto di vista, è più che altro un'estensione teorica a strumenti come YSlow e Google Speed
John Hobbs
Jun 20, 2012 John Hobbs rated it liked it
This book is showing its age a bit, most of this content seems to be common knowledge these days.

Still, a good review and explanation of some of the most common techniques.
  • Building Scalable Web Sites
  • High Performance JavaScript
  • High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, Load Balancing & More
  • jQuery Cookbook: Solutions & Examples for jQuery Developers
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • Effective JavaScript: 68 Specific Ways to Harness the Power of JavaScript
  • jQuery in Action

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »