Start by marking “The Condor And The Cows: A South American Travel Diary” as Want to Read:
The Condor And The Cows: A South American Travel Diary

The Condor And The Cows: A South American Travel Diary

One of the few classic works of South American travel, now available in paperback with a new foreword by Jeffrey Meyers and additional photographs by Isherwood's lover, Bill Caskey. Isherwood frankly depicts the squalor and discomforts of his journey--as he wrote he was very skeptical about the book but later came to regard it as one of his best.
Published November 10th 2003 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Condor And The Cows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Condor And The Cows

Jim
Apr 11, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
I was most of the way through The Condor And The Cows: A South American Travel Diary by Christopher Isherwood when the though suddenly hit me that Paul Theroux was to make almost exactly the same trip thirty years later, when he wrote The Old Patagonian Express. Except, that Isherwood did not see himself as a traveler. Witness his musings as he left Ecuador:
That is the irony of travel. You spend your boyhood dreaming of a magic, impossibly distant day when you will cross the Equator, when your e
Richard Jespers
Apr 29, 2016 Richard Jespers rated it it was amazing
Writers don’t do this much anymore: take long journeys to foreign countries like those found in South America and pen a single book about it, but that’s what Isherwood does in The Condor and the Cows. He writes about his trip taken with lover-at-the-time and photographer, William Caskey, one that spans six months in 1947-48.

“The meaning of the title should be evident, but perhaps I had better explain that the Condor is the emblem of the Andes and their mountain republics, while the Cows represe
Chris Fellows
Jan 04, 2015 Chris Fellows rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ow, I am overcome now with nostalgia for places and times I have never been, with an intensity that I have not felt for many years. Isherwood has a knack for conveying emotional atmosphere, and in this modified travel diary gives vivid pictures of the places and people he encounters on a journey north to south through South America in 1947-1948.

I am afraid to look up any of the places on his journey on Google to see what they are like nowadays. The South America he travels through is so empty, a
Lisa
Dec 26, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
The format is of a travel diary but still Isherwood makes comments and observations about political, social, and economical status of the countries he visits. I notice similarities in each country all these years later and some of his predictions have come true. Interesting and reflective view of early tourism in South America.
Richard Newton
I had mixed feelings about this book. In parts it is brilliant. Isherwood writes with ease, elegance and a deceptively simple style. When he write about people or about his own feelings whilst travelling the book is very good. As a travel guide it is poorer. This would not matter if he never tried to be a travel guide, but there are odd sections here and there which try to give you facts about the countries. Given the book was written over 70 years ago, these are obviously irrelevant except as h ...more
Micebyliz
Truly awful. This is the second (and last!!) travel book i will read of his. I was deeply disappointed because i had so enjoyed the Berlin Stories, but this was full of racism and judgment. I am not sure that he was really aware of it, since it was written in 1949, but for me it's no excuse. (here i am being judgmental)
There are some very interesting pictures of life at that time in the countries they visited, some of festivals and some portraits of local artists. There is even a photo of Borges
Peter Daerden
Isherwood may not be the greatest of travel writers (as he admits himself in this book) and some parts could have been easily skipped. Still there is some irresistible charm to his writing (which I cannot quite define). In the end, as with all (longterm) travelling, the account gets a bit boring. In fact I doubt whether Isherwood really liked Andean South America, also given his sudden statement that Brazil - not on his itinerary - 'must be much the most interesting and exciting country in South ...more
John
Sep 12, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, if slightly bogged down in places with local politics and literary scenes, though not as dated as I feared it might be. Sherwood's actually pretty funny - too bad he didn't do more travel writing.
Fredrik
Aug 04, 2016 Fredrik rated it really liked it
Cast o' characters:
Vikas Datta
Aug 08, 2015 Vikas Datta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A forgotten classic.. and one of the best on the region..
June
June marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
S.b.
S.b. marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Glenda
Glenda marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Claire Bansagi
Claire Bansagi marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Juan Mejía
Juan Mejía marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Celeste Grant
Celeste Grant marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Pernille
Pernille rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Luke Mennuni
Luke Mennuni marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Adam
Adam added it
Jul 10, 2016
Amrita
Amrita marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Christopher Isherwood was a novelist, playwright, screen-writer, autobiographer, and diarist. He was also homosexual and made this a theme of some of his writing. He was born near Manchester in the north of England in 1904, became a U.S. citizen in 1946, and died at home in Santa Monica, California in January 1986.

Isherwood was the grandson and heir of a country squire, and his boyhood was privile
More about Christopher Isherwood...