Start by marking “The Words Of Joseph Smith” as Want to Read:

The Words Of Joseph Smith

4.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The Contemporary Accounts of the Nauvoo Discourses of the Prophet Joseph
Hardcover
Published December 12th 1994 by Grandin Pub Co (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Words Of Joseph Smith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Words Of Joseph Smith

Christian Larsen
Apr 14, 2013 Christian Larsen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, lds-history
This is the single most important history concerning Joseph Smith ever written. Contained in this volume are every existing account of Joseph's Nauvoo discourses gleaned from diaries, minutes, newspaper accounts, etc... The footnotes are reason enough to read this and provide historical insights that cannot be found anywhere else. This is not as accessible a volume as others because it is written as a documentary history, so quote is followed by quote with no narrative connecting them, so I woul ...more
James Miller
Sep 18, 2009 James Miller rated it liked it
A very interesting book. I somehow acquired a photocopy of it during my stay in Utah. As far as I know, it was originally published by some BYU professors, then the church quickly bought the copyright and never allowed it to be published again. It was just TOO interesting. They cut out all of the controversial stuff, what I like to think of as Joseph's opinions of doctrine, and then reprinted the more traditional teachings as "The Teachings of Joseph Smith".

Anyone interested in reading this sho
Stephen Cranney
Dec 22, 2013 Stephen Cranney rated it liked it
A little disappointing. Not because of the editorial job or the words themselves, it's just a little hard to get inspired from hastily scribbled notes: "Joseph...lectured on the plan of salvation..[illegible]" (and on for 300 pages). Occasionally some good finds, but most of the items of interest here are already repeated elsewhere in Sunday School manuals and such. It's not like the Journals of Discourses where you occasionally find interesting nuggets that nobody seems to be aware of. People i ...more
Jacob J
Mar 29, 2009 Jacob J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mormon-studies
An indispensable resource providing all the original accounts of the sermons of Joseph Smith in the Nauvoo era. Unlike the classic Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith in which lots of the entries were probably not written by Joseph Smith himself, this book provides only reliable sources and without amalgamation. The only problem is that this book keeps going out of print and the price shoots into the hundreds of dollars for a copy until the next printing. Luckily I got one early.
Dustin
Oct 30, 2014 Dustin rated it it was amazing
A classic. A read must for any student of Joseph Smith. The contemporary primary sources from Joseph's Nauvoo sermons. I had just finished reading Teachings (which contain amalgamated versions of many of these sermons) and I was surprised at how much more I was able to learn by going to the sources. The notes are well done and give incredibly valuable context, a feature very much lacking in Teachings.
James Carroll
Feb 20, 2009 James Carroll rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best collection of what Joseph Smith actually taught published so far. If I had to give up all my religious books but the standard works and one other book, this is the one I would choose.

Joseph's main focus in Nauvoo was the temple, so if you have ever been curious about the meaning of the Temple, this is also the book for you.
Michael
Feb 10, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ebook version (for the Kindle at least) should lose a star due to character set conversion issues; but this is a six star book, so it still gets five. :)
Matt
Dec 30, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing
If Joseph Smith Papers is cool, this book is uber-cool. I only wish someone would do the same for his pre-Nauvoo discourses.
Viliami
Sep 13, 2012 Viliami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am forever indebted to Andrew Ehat. Just used this book today for background on Celestial marriage and exaltation.
Michelle Gross
Apr 22, 2013 Michelle Gross rated it really liked it
Some parts are good. The Lucy Mack Smith history is a bit on the disjointed side.
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Shirley Anderson
Shirley Anderson marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Wes
Wes marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Penney
Penney marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Tony
Tony added it
Sep 19, 2015
Bryan
Bryan is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2015
Jeremy Hunt
Jeremy Hunt rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Abram Hatch
Abram Hatch rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
James Tredway
James Tredway marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
James
James rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Lee Childs
Lee Childs marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Sadie
Sadie marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Patty Wahlquist
Patty Wahlquist rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Randal Wright
Randal Wright marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014