Start by marking “The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers” as Want to Read:

You don't need to pay a fortune for expensive "green" commercial cleaning products. It's easy and inexpensive to mix up effective, nontoxic alternatives using basic kitchen staples — baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, herbs, and borax — plus a handful of easy-to-find essential oils. Karyn Siegel-Maier offers 150 all-natural recipes for cleaning everything inyour home — fro ...more
Published December 1st 1999 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Naturally Clean Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Naturally Clean Home

Kelli
Feb 28, 2008 Kelli rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! It has tons of recipes for making your own all-natural, non-toxic cleaners that WORK! I only had to buy a few ingredients, most of them I already had in my cupboards! (baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, etc.) I don't use any of the harsh chemical cleaners anymore and I feel so much better about cleaning with kids in the house. I don't worry about all the nasty fumes or my kids getting poisoned. And my house always smells great! I love it! To me, it is totally worth the time ...more
Rachael
Jul 23, 2014 Rachael rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-hard-copy
I received this book as a gift from my sister a holiday or two back. I started reading it from the front cover and was initially unimpressed. Several of her recipes call for combining baking soda (an excellent cleaner) and vinegar (another excellent cleaner). Just because they are good individually doesn't mean they are good together. Why? Because together they react to release carbon dioxide and leave water. That's what all the bubbly is about when building a volcano.

Recently, though, I've foun
Katie
Mar 01, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
I am SO impressed with this book so far. I am slowly trying to get all of the detergents and plastics out of my home, and this book has been a useful tool. The recipes here all help you achieve what I'd call a sense of "mainstream" clean. I have been searching the internet in the hopes of finding good recipes for green homemade shampoos/conditioners, natural window/mirror cleaner, laundry detergent, etc., but in that hunt I kept finding myself bogged down with weird and extreme advice:

"You don't
Stacy
Nov 02, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it
I'm already on board with natural cleaners and make many products, which means I've read several books and spent a lot of time researching online. This book, however, would make a great reference to have on hand. It's small enough to fit in the cabinet with your supplies and has ideas on everything from fabric softener to ways to clean copper or keep deer out of your flowerbeds. I've been wanting to expand my understanding of the correct uses of essential oils and this book helped me organize my ...more
Olga
Feb 19, 2012 Olga rated it really liked it
You will find some very good reasons why you should stop buying regular detergents for your house and many recipes to make your ownh detergents. I found the idea that we keep tons of liquids which are dangerous in our closets very thought-provoking. Why use these and not their natural version instead? Yesterday I managed to get rid of the ants in my bathroom just by using some drops of essential oil. I have to admit though that these ver nice ideas need time and money, but who doesn't spend in b ...more
Mish
Jan 10, 2009 Mish rated it it was amazing
*** There is actually a 2nd new edition that is updated with 150 formulas*****
Great herbal recipes. Most call for several essential oils which is daunting for some folks, though 1 bottle will last a long time AND you are given what their purpose is <--- which I love. Some are just for scent, and that is really just optional. Many herbs are antibacterial and/or antifungal. You will find a formula for every household task you have and many you might not think about. Very useful!!
Heather
Jan 15, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
simple formulas and clear, thorough instructions. list of ingredients is not too complicated or specialized. that said, the components are about evenly split between what is already in my cupboards and what i would have to buy to complete the formulas. i have only tried one so far (no-brush toilet cleaner minus the essential oil) and it did an excellent job cleaning the iron stains left by our hard water.
Michelle
Apr 22, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome resource! I stumbled across it trying to figure out how to clean my oven without using the gross stuff. Making your own, natural cleaning products is such a great way to elimainate chemicals from your home. I cannot wait to try the laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent recipes!
Diane
Nov 10, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. I was skeptical that I would be truly happy with the results of the formulas, but I was very impressed! Each one that I tried worked just as well as a storeboughten, toxic cleaning product. I ordered a copy for myself and a couple extras to give as gifts!
Nov 16, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
A nice book with useful recipes for homemade cleaning. Using soda/vinegar/essential oil is something I did before, but I never tried combining them together, and new ingredients, such as castile soap, borax or dried leaves/flowers look interesting - will certainly try those.

Barb Murphy
Jul 25, 2011 Barb Murphy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: green cleaners
A handy green cleaning guide I use over and over. I'm still trying new recipes (there's one for everything, including floor wax), but have the basic ones I have come to love. All made using everyday ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, salt and essential oils.
Latasha
Feb 15, 2013 Latasha rated it liked it
I liked the recipes, but it seems a little more labor intensive with all of the oils and herbs she uses. However I did like that she did more than just household cleaners, there were car cleaning recipes and concrete cleaners... All things I need to clean "greenly"
Alison
Mar 17, 2008 Alison rated it really liked it
A great resource if you're looking to make your cleaning less toxic. The author has amassed great recipes, though I can't say that I'm ready to try borax and washing soda. I'm going to try some stuff with vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice and see how it goes.
Rachel C
Feb 17, 2009 Rachel C rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I skimmed this book through my public library's e-books. It had lots of useful recipes for cleaning your home with environmentally friendly products, like vinegar, baking soda and essential oils. I will probably refer back to this book on occasion.
Melissa
Jan 14, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
Great recipes and how-to for cleaning your home without using harsh and expensive chemicals. It would take considerable effort to make and use all of these recipes, but there are times when it is definitely worth the effort.
Aug 19, 2008 Anna rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! It gives you recipes for any kind of cleaner you need - with nontoxic, environmentally friendly materials. I don't buy any household cleaners anymore - just mix up my own.
Lisa
Feb 26, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Love how simple and uncomplicated this book is. I am excited to try making many of the recipes right away and happy to have this on my shelf as a reference.
Debbie Vanover
Read this, and do this!

veggloverherbaltraditions.wordpress.com
feedmeveggies.blogspot.com
theherbnjungle.blogspot.com
Sandra
Aug 31, 2010 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Lots of recipes on how to make cleaning products that are non-toxic to kids and pets (and adults too).

Sara
May 01, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing
Truly a great little gem. Lots of wonderful recipes for home cleaners that actually work.
Stacie
Mar 19, 2008 Stacie rated it it was ok
Not much new information, every recipe uses essential oils a lot.
Carla
Nov 08, 2012 Carla marked it as to-read

Recommended by a friend who uses it and loves it!
Mar 09, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is my go-to guide for cleaning recipes.
Feb 17, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing
michele
Apr 07, 2007 michele marked it as to-read
I want this book.
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
carmen staton
carmen staton rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • The Solar House: Passive Solar Heating and Cooling
  • The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • Lemons and Lavender: The Eco Guide to Better Homekeeping
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • The Complete Houseplant Survival Manual: Essential Gardening Know-how for Keeping (Not Killing!) More Than 160 Indoor Plants
  • Gorgeously Green
  • Water Storage: Tanks, Cisterns, Aquifers, and Ponds for Domestic Supply, Fire and Emergency Use--Includes How to Make Ferrocement Water Tanks