Start by marking “The Works of Josephus” as Want to Read:
The Works of Josephus

The Works of Josephus

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,021 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Encounter the world and traditions that Jesus knew.

Illuminate your understanding of the New Testament.

In The Complete Works you will discover what the New Testament writers knew about Abraham, Moses, Samuel, David, and Solomon and examine an in-depth history of Herod and his infamous family.

Josephus left us the earliest independent accounts of the lives of Jesus, John the
Hardcover, updated, 940 pages
Published October 1st 1987 by Hendrickson Publishers (Peabody, MA) (first published 100)

Janet Mueller
May 16, 2014 Janet Mueller rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Janet by: Calvary Chapel
I use this book as a reference to my daily Bible study. The text gives insight into historical aspects of the Bible & clarifies persons as well as their part in the history of God's people. The translation is clear & easy to absorb.

Fascinating read as Josephus writes of evidence of remains of 'the Giants', recorded in Scripture, which he himself has seen. Genesis 6 , 'Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, that the sons
Steven Kent
Jul 09, 2009 Steven Kent rated it really liked it
Nope, I cannot claim to have read this volume from cover-to-cover, but I have read much of it... including the spurious accounts of his own conversion to Christianity.

It's been a while, but as I recall, Flavius Josephus was a Jewish scholar writing a history of his people for the Romans. Jewish scholars discount him because he wrote for the Romans.

He possessed a restless mind. His plan, as I recall, was to spend a few years practicing life as a Pharisee, then as a Sadducee. I think he planned to
D.A. Cairns
Aug 14, 2016 D.A. Cairns rated it it was ok
Heavy, heavy, heavy reading. Unless you're a history nut, or you are insane, leave this one alone. It does possess some interesting nuggets in amongst the endless tales of paranoid and violent despots, but the language is almost impossible to understand: long sentences with weird syntax and very big and obscure words. It's obviously not meant to be read cover to cover, but I attempted it anyway. It was my toilet book, so I figured I could wade through it all eventually.

Wrong. I bailed about two
J
Oct 28, 2016 J rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcopy, reference
This was a college reference book I had to refer to quite a bit. I still have it. Not my favorite book.
Andrew Charles
Aug 07, 2011 Andrew Charles rated it liked it
Flavius Josephus provides a unique insight to the history and events of the Jewish people, especially in the first century CE. As a first-hand witness and participant there are natural biases and more than a little self-aggrandizement, and these can easily be identified. The fidelity of this translation however must be called into question by the clear biases of the translator who, despite the testimony of Josephus himself and his defense of Jewish Orthodoxy, repeatedly claims that Josephus is ...more
Travis FFFFFFFFFF
Oct 25, 2016 Travis FFFFFFFFFF rated it liked it
WHEW.

I don't know if I'll ever get all the way through this alternative version of the Old Testament. Handed down to us from a first-century Jewish historian, this here has all my fave biblical tales -- plus a few tantalizing details and minus a few parts that I thought were... yknow, biblical.

For instance:
Moses as a youngster was a BADASS army general and totally destroyed the Ethiopians who were causing an insurgency in south Egypt. While he was down there, he married an Ethiopian princess. Wh
Denise
Dec 08, 2013 Denise rated it liked it
Recommends it for: history buffs
It would be untrue if I said I read this cover to cover because I didn't. I read a great deal and skimmed a great deal. I have no way of accessing how much is lost in translation and I know that Josephus tended to skew history in his favor. I'm also aware that unscrupulous editors made unnecessary additions. Overall, an interesting read that should be taken with a hefty grain of salt.

For those who care, Josephus identified Vespasian as the predicted Messiah and was at no time ever a Christian, m
Lance
Sep 01, 2008 Lance rated it really liked it
This version tries to remedy a problem that cropped up with students not being able to cross reference Whiston's translation with the Greek texts. As a result, each paragraph has Whiston's numbering system in boldface and throughout the text there are numbers appearing in parentheses, corresponding to the Greek texts' line numbers. Also the numbers are Arabic instead of Roman. Whiston's original footnotes have footnotes themselves from the modern editors. This can, at times, become tedious, but ...more
Regi
Jan 17, 2013 Regi rated it really liked it
I read most of the book. I skimmed, then went back and re-read, looked up other sources, then continued. Although a vain man, he was a very important historian because of the amount of information he provides. I read his history with a grain of salt as I would read any; it has a bias - just as the translator obviously does.

It was very hard to start, but once you get used to his style of writing and ignore his self-flattery, you start to learn. I would give his style lower ratings, but I am not
Alexander Kennedy
Mar 25, 2015 Alexander Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rome, judaism
This text gives you both the Antiquities, the Jewish War, and the Life. Josephus is an essential read for understanding politics in Palestine from the Maccabean Revolt through the destruction of the Temple. While he doesn't discuss Jesus, most scholars view his paragraph on Christ as a later interpolation, he does give us the social and political context of the world Jesus would have lived in. You will not read the Bible the same way after reading Josephus. You will be a much more informed ...more
Mark Sequeira
Jul 30, 2013 Mark Sequeira rated it it was amazing
As one of the few extant works from the time of Jesus and as his countryman, Josephus is invaluable to understanding the life and times of 1st century Israel. Also of understanding the book of revelation and the relationship with Rome, the typology used in relation to the Antichrist and the destruction of the temple and the war in 70ad. Jesus warned people to flee and not look back and with good reason when you read the account here.

sologdin
Jul 28, 2015 sologdin rated it liked it
Shelves: ancient, history
valuable for a number of reasons. it is difficult to overcome, however, author's admission that he foreswore his suicide pact during the Great Revolt and defected to the Romans, acquiring obviously a Roman name and thereafter becoming a propagandist for the Empire.

that stain aside, texts are very cool, even acknowledging their overt propaganda function.

debates regarding the silly 'testimonium flavianum' are fairly comical.
Deanna
Jul 23, 2011 Deanna rated it it was amazing
I have not read all of this, but I have read a lot of it and I find it facinating. I look forward to using it has a reference.

I have studied a lot of Relief Society history this year and one thing that was interesting is that when they did the Old Testament Course of study in 1916 (I think that was the year), each sister was expected to have her own copy of "The Works of Josephus" to suppliment her readings.
Eliyanna Kaiser
Sep 18, 2011 Eliyanna Kaiser rated it liked it
Shelves: research
Josephus gets five stars, I mean, c'mon, it's incredible.

The highly biased, 18th century Catholic annotations of this edition, however, get zero stars.

Three stars is the balance.

Read Josephus. Do. There's so much incredible history here. So much instant time travel and deeper understanding of where so much of our current world situation comes from. But for the love of whatever merciful deity you worship, get a more modern translation and annotation!
Andre
May 31, 2008 Andre rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference-works
Outstanding resource and probably should be on the shelves of all students of the Scriptures. This edition is contains it all in one volume: Antiquities, War of the Jews, and the debated Discourse to the Greeks. Whiston's edition, as far as I know, is the the only edition that contains the discourse. Much insight can be gained through reading through Josephus.
Robert
Aug 31, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
Fascinating history of the Hasmoneans (Herod the Great and the others) and the destruction of Jerusalem. Unfortunately it seems that only the Christian Bible gives an account of what was happening in that part of the world around that time and that focuses only on Christ. The complex political situation is fascinating and really complex.
Bendick Ong
Jun 03, 2014 Bendick Ong rated it really liked it
Shelves: humanities
A complete translation of the Antiquities of the Jews and the Wars of the Jews. Plus a good introduction on the life of Joseph and several related dissertations. Contains quite a number of typos errors though. For eg, p543 column 2 line 1; Pg 545, column 2 lines 10 and 15; pg 546, chapter title; p547 column 1 line 9 ff.
Rod
Nov 03, 2009 Rod rated it it was amazing
The first half of the book is a chronological exposition of the "Old Testament". The second half is an eye witness account of the war of the Jews and the Roman Empire including the fall of Jerusalem. It is very detailed with graphic imagery.
Claudio Laferla
Apr 16, 2009 Claudio Laferla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
This is a reference book and a very important book since it has been written by a non-believer. Flavius(who was a keen scribe)remarked about Jesus (therefore, this shows that Jesus really existed) and his miracles.
Liesel
May 17, 2012 Liesel rated it it was amazing
This book was essential to my understanding of Christ's time, the first century and the New Testament. It is a difficult read, but I highly recommend it to someone who really wants to dig in and understand that time period and the New Testament.
Jackie
Jul 11, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
Great for historical context! The language is a bit hard to understand though for the average curious reader.
Tom
Jan 29, 2009 Tom rated it liked it
I read this and the dead sea scrolls new translation at the same time. I had a headache for three days after I finished. once again, history is generally written by the winners.
Linda
Feb 08, 2012 Linda added it
This is one of those books you just dont read from cover to cover non stop. Somethings you have to digest over time. Listing this as read though.
Jim
May 11, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
A tough read. It looks as though my reading skills are also suffering from the era of sound bites. On a serious note, more attention needs to be given to the classics of antiquity.
Robin
Sep 11, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm using this book as a reference to my study of the Old Testament this year. It's quite interesting and informative, but I will never sit down and read it cover to cover.
John  Ervin
Aug 04, 2009 John Ervin rated it it was amazing
I recommend this,,,but if you can find an earlier copy you would be better served.One from the 19th century or earlier.
Elizabeth
Nov 06, 2009 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
I'm enjoying the Old Testament so much, I thought it would be worth a try. So far, it's been a great read. We'll see if I make it to the end.
Patrick\
Sep 11, 2015 Patrick\ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-history
Without Josephus we would know even less of Jewish and Roman hsitory. His was the first Jewish work to be published with the introduction of movable type. Deservedly so. Wow!
Sandra
Mar 02, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it
This was a LONG read but a good one. I enjoyed the writing style (I know it is a translation). I enjoyed the history. It is very worthwhile to invest the time in reading it.
Celeste Batchelor
Reading this one in combination with "The World Before Christ an LDS Perspective" as it is referenced quite a bit and I wanted to read all of the text.
question 4 20 Dec 25, 2012 07:40PM
  • The Works of Philo
  • The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Apocalyptic Literature and Testaments
  • The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English
  • The History of the Church: From Christ to Constantine
  • Annals of the World
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • New Testament History
  • Dictionary of Biblical Imagery
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • The Temple: Its Ministry and Services
  • Rome and Jerusalem: The Clash of Ancient Civilizations
  • Dead Sea Scrolls Uncovered
  • A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament & Other Early Christian Literature
  • The Other Bible
  • The Jewish Gospels
  • Halley's Bible Handbook: An Abbreviated Bible Commentary (Bible Handbook Series)
  • The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon
  • History of the Christian Church, 8 vols.
Titus Flavius Josephus (37 – c. 100),[1] also called Joseph ben Matityahu (Biblical Hebrew: יוסף בן מתתיהו, Yosef ben Matityahu),[2] was a 1st-century Romano-Jewish historian and hagiographer who was born in Jerusalem - then part of Roman Judea - to a father of priestly descent and a mother who claimed royal ancestry.

He initially fought against the Romans during the First Jewish–Roman War as the h
More about Flavius Josephus...