Final Verdict

Final Verdict (Mike Daley Mystery #4)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  14 reviews
San Francisco lawyer Mike Daley is called on once again by Leon Walker, the man Daley kept out of jail through a few (some say) questionable maneuvers. Now, standing accused of murder, Leon says he's innocent-and fatally ill. Now it's up to Mike to clear the man's name-and his own.
Published August 3rd 2004 by Signet (first published 2003)

LJ
FINAL VERDICT (Legal Suspense-Mike Daley-San Francisco-Cont) – VG
Siegel, Sheldon – 4th in series
G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 2003, US Hardcover – ISBN: 0399150420
First Sentence: Judge Elizabeth McDaniel is glaring at me over the top of her reading glasses.
*** Attorneys Mike Daley and Rosie Fernandez defended Leon Walker in the past. Although they won their case, it harmed their reputation and their marriage. Now Leon is accused of murdering a Silicon Valley venture capitalist. Leon wants Mike to defend h...more
Deb Mjaatvedt
Sheldon Siegel is back to form in this 4th offering in the Mike Daley series. Thank goodness. Do yourself a favor if you decide to read this series. Read the first, skip the next two, and pick back up on #4. You really won't miss much in the recurring characters' development. Looking forward to the next one and hoping that Siegel stays on track.
Ed
Sep 07, 2010 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Legal thriller fans
This book was quite a surprise. I had not read any of Siegel's stuff before. While he's no Lescroart, nevertheless this novel was an interesting one. It doesn't hurt that the action all takes place in San Francisco, where I lived for many years.

His main character, Mike Daley, is asked to defend an ex-client, Leon Walker, who is accused of murder. The problems with accepting are many: the client has incurable cancer, the last time Daley defended him, Daley and his ex-wife Rosie Fernandez, were ac...more
Marti
This was a book that I mostly read during the 20 minute Jacuzzi soak once a week in our Ultra Bain bathtub. When I was doing that, the book seemed interesting. When it got to the last third of the story, it seemed to drag quite a bit. A man who is dying wants to prove he is innocent of murder. He hires a team--divorced husband and his cancer survivor wife to defend him. There is a nice ending--almost like an afterthought. Maybe I should give Mr. Siegel a second chance.
Pam
This is the fourth in the series featuring Mike Daley and Rosie Fernandez--formerly married to each other, now partners in their own law firm. In this book, Mike and Rosie set out to prove Leon Walker, former client and now terminally ill, innocent of murder. Good dialog and legal descriptions. Mike and Rosie have an unconventional relationship--with a twist at the end of this book. Plot is rather predicatable at this stage of the series.
Jan
A well written legal mystery abour former priest, Mike Daly and his ex-wife, Rosie Fernandez. A lot of good characters, courtroom drama and dialogue and a little tweek at the end. As this was my first Siegel book, I had not known it was the 4th in a series and plan to back-track to read the others. Reminded me of the Dismas Hardy series Lescroart writes.
Joyce
First book I have read of Sheldon Siegel. I thought it was pretty good. About a divorced husband/wife team who work as lawyers together. They take on a case of a man accused of murderwho swears he is innocent and he is dying.
Jennifer Hutchins
I didn't care for this book though it was well written. Usually legal type books are among my favorites, but it jut didn't keep me involved.

Suzeesg
slow start, but once got into it, real page turner. Bit too descriptive in parts, but otherwise intriguing and accurate SF references:)
Kim
met this author and thought i should read one of his books. It was not bad, but i will not persue additonal books.
Hank Lawrence
Good read. Interesting characters. I'll read the others.
Ron
Nancy 4 stars; Ron 5 stars
Nancy
Nancy 4 stars; Ron 5 stars
Jackie Simons
Read 3/04
Jody Ryan
Jody Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sheldon Siegel (born July 14, 1958) is an American novelist and author best known for his works of modern legal drama.

Siegel was born on the south side of Chicago, Illinois. He attended New Trier High School in Winnetka, Illinois, and later went on to attend the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as an Accounting major. He graduated with a Juris Doctor from Boalt Hall at the University of...more
More about Sheldon Siegel...
Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, Book 1) Incriminating Evidence (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #2) Criminal Intent (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #3) The Confession  (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #5) Judgment Day (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #6)

“are required to tap dance around perjury more frequently than we care to admit. It’s a big no-no for us to knowingly let our clients lie. As a result, we often choose not to ask certain questions if we think we aren’t going to like the answer. “He told me he wasn’t going to change his story,” she continues. “He clearly expected us to go along with him.” “And if we didn’t cooperate?” “He said Frankie’s friends would have had a word with us.” What? “He threatened you?” “Yes.” She never told me about this. “Was he serious?” “I think so.” “Did Frankie’s thugs threaten the eyewitness?” “I don’t know.” 0 likes