Tornado

Tornado

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  70 reviews

A tornado appears in the distance, and Pete, the farmhand, gathers everyone into the storm cellar. While they wait for the storm to pass,he tells the family about the dog dropped down by a tornado when Pete was a boy. Named Tornado, Pete's pet was no ordinary dog -- he played card tricks, saved a turtle's life, and had a rivalry with the family cat. By the time Pete tells

Published 1997 by Scholastic (first published June 28th 1996)

Betsy
What a great book!! To sum up why I like it:
1. That dog/the illustrations--he looks JUST like my big old beastie... warm fuzzies all around.
2. The reading level/plot/characterization--a great fit together. This is an early chapter book that will hold young readers' interest with a great story and memorable characters (not least of which is the dog, Tornado). It's not going to feel too "young" for older new readers, but it will still be understandable for young new readers.

I think it will make a...more
Melissa
4 1/2 stars. This was a short, fun book! I started reading it with one of my students who struggles in reading (about a 3rd grade level) and he enjoyed it so much he actually checked it out of the library on his own and was reading ahead! I told another of my struggling readers about it and now she is reading it! Good short stories within stories. Keeps the interest of those of us with short attention spans.
Mustafa
I liked the book but didn't. It was a short book. I wish it would have been larger in pages. Also, it was a good the dog came from the town they lived in.
Mary Mcgobe
I got this book at a garage sale and mainly just because of the black lab on the front of it. I have a black lab who I love and adore. I am really glad that I picked it up because it was a really sweet story.

There was nothing that I did not like about this book. I loved all the stories that the children told while waiting the storm out. I smiled at some and got teary eyed at others.

I think this would be a great book for second graders on up. Even adults will like this story. It would also make a...more
Amalia
This book is brief, only 49 pages. With large font, this is a great support for beginning readers and, hopefully a disappointment to readers when it ends too soon. I love the foundation for the plot: a family is stuck in a cellar during a tornado; there is additional worry because the father is still out in the fields. A farmhand provides the perfect diversion to the anxious group: telling stories about his beloved, childhood dog, Tornado, who turned up at his home during a storm similar to what...more
Brandi
A sweet story of a boy and his dog perfect for transitional readers. A doghouse lands in the yard of a family after a tornado, complete with dog. The family take in the dog, name him Tornado, and he quickly becomes part of the family. But Tornado didn't simply appear out of thin air; he was someone else's beloved dog before. This chapter book has a satisfying happy ending. Great atmospheric illustrations.
Lori
Sweet story of a dog found in his dog house after a tornado. Narrated by a man as he tells stories of his childhood to kids in a storm cellar. Good practice with point of view and changing time periods. Much dog love.
Melanie
The boys really enjoyed this quick read. It is the story of a boy who adopts a dog that a tornado drops--doghouse and all--in his yard.
Trace
Luke's review: this book was about a nice black dog named Tornado. I loved all of the little stories about Tornado. One story made me sad, but then it had a happy ending which was great!

Momma's review: I loved this book because the author obviously is a dog-lover... in little ways, her words proved that she knows dogs and loves them... this book reminded me so much of the black lab I owned as a child whose name was Coal. I find it exceedingly difficult to find wholesome early chapter books that...more
Amy
Previewed and decided this was too simple to suggest for Animal Lovers Book club.
J.J.
A book to read for kids living in tornado alley and also for kids that like dogs.
Josiah
I think that I would grant this book two and a half stars.
Betsy Byars is as good as ever in this very short read, but the accompanying pictures by Doron Ben-Ami are some of the best that I have ever seen. They are so finely detailed and smooth that I could actually believe that they are photographs.
There have been many stories of loyalty between a boy and his dog, but this one has some very good elements that make it a worthwhile read, and the circumstances under which the tale is told make i...more
Amy
Kids and I enjoyed reading this one! :-)
Becky
cute little children's book about a dog.
George Porteous
couldn't stand it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mrs. Kris's Class
Drew Baker's Review:

Tornado is a great book if you love dogs. I am not a fan of dogs. Ya'll are probley going crazy reding this knowing i dont like dogs. Tornado is about this family and there a nice family they live on land. A tornado comes and they all have to get in the cellar room. Anyway, they recive a dog and it runs away and at the end......
**********************************************
Jonathan
This is a great book for third-graders. It should transition them nicely into more advance books (chapter books). It has less pictures than the books they read in second-grade and also has more continuity. It's possible for a third-grader to even read parts of this in several sittings. It's a great transition book, but it suffers from a story that is not particularly engaging.
Tarra
Short chapter book, big on content. Beautiful illustrations. Lots of opportunity for cross curricular study (weather patterns, farm life, President Lincoln). I enjoyed reading this little gem with my daughter. I would recommend for independent reading about 2nd / 3rd grade, but my kindergartener enjoyed listening to the story and predicting the ending.
Sarah Jane
i read this book when i was a kid. even though it was a short book, it really appealed to me as a child because i was deathly afraid of tornadoes and it got me thinking that Tornadoes are dangerous but they do not threaten me anymore its great for children with fears of this sort of thing and i highly recommend it
Kathryn Jones
Growing up I read this book over and over again. It was one of the first chapter books I read. While in a storm cellar waiting on a tornado to pass Pete tells stories about his experiences with tornadoes. He explains one story how he ended up with a new friend. If you love dogs you will love this book.
Princess
I loved this book.I thought it was an amazing book about a dog. While in a storm cellar waiting on a tornado to pass, Pete tells stories about his dog that was named Tornado and how they lived. He explains one story how he ended up with a new friend. If you love dogs, you will love this book.
Cris
I think that it is a good book.I think that it's sad how they lose the dog because the other people say that it's their dog. I don't like that cat because he is a lazy cat. All it does is get food and leaves. I also feel bad for the turtle and the kids' father is a very brave father.
Sharon
This book was suggested to read as snippet but bought the book to read aloud. A tornado is coming! In the aftermath, a dog house is found moving. They look inside . . . I liked this book and looked for a sequel but there is none. It's a great book to think about what would happen next.
Kaitlyn Williams
I didn't like it because it was super easy so I rated it with one star. I'm in 5th grade so that may have something to do with it. Read this to your child if they're beginning to read more and more, it'll help them start reading chapter books.
Evan
Jul 24, 2011 Evan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Carly and Miranda
There is a twister so they have to go to the cellar. Pete tells a story about when he was a kid in tornado alley. The story was about a dog named tornado. I liked this story because it had a tornado, and it brought a dog to them.
Katelyn
I liked this story and it was about a dog one of my most fovorite animals it was also good because it had awsome storys about this dogs life it is amazing how he survived the tornado in a dog house and it was a good short chapter book.
Candy
I read this to my kids. My 5 year old son wasn't into it, even though I got it for him. My 2nd and 4th grade girls liked it but they thought it was too short. Nice quick read aloud book for kindergarteners if they are into dogs.
Catherine  Mustread
As they wait out a tornado in their storm cellar, a family listens to their farmhand tell sories about the dog that was blown into his life by another tornado when he was a boy. 1998 Arizona Young Readers Choice nominee.
Molly
Quick read. Will appeal to both boys and girls. Each chapter is basically its own touching dog story told to keep the children entertained while they are stuck in a storm shelter waiting for the tornado to pass.
Calla Carpenter
This is a lower level reading book, great for young readers just getting into chapter books. This would be a good book to read aloud in class. Students could also take turns reading passages to their classmates.
  • The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Jake Drake, Bully Buster
  • Wagon Wheels
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • Aliens for Breakfast
  • Phoebe the Spy
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American...more
More about Betsy Byars...
The Summer of the Swans The Pinballs The Midnight Fox The SOS File Keeper of the Doves