Start by marking “Crow Stone” as Want to Read:
Crow Stone

Crow Stone

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  146 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A compulsively readable thriller that skillfully weaves together past and present to uncover the sinister secrets buried in the ancient stone quarries under Bath.

Kit Parry is reluctant to take the job shoring up the ancient quarries beneath her hometown of Bath — a place as riddled with memories she d rather forget as it is with Roman ruins. The miners certainly don t want
Hardcover
Published May 1st 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Crow Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crow Stone

LJ
Aug 10, 2007 LJ rated it liked it
CROW STONE (Suspense-Kit Perry-UK-Cont) – G+
Mills, Jenni – 1st book
HarperPress, 2007, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 9780007247127
First Sentence: Look at this.
*** Kit Perry, a mining engineer, has returned to Bath, where she was raised but she would rather people there not recognize her. At fourteen, known as Katie and after a difficult childhood with a mother who left and a strict, unpredictable father, she left Bath in a large black car. Now she is back working with a team to shore up the Roman quarries
Katherine Roberts
Apr 30, 2015 Katherine Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one. I picked it up because I used to live in Bath, and the book is set in the stone mines (now I know the correct term is quarries!) beneath one of the city's seven hills.

The story follows Kit, who lands a job as a mining engineer when the mines are being assessed prior to filling them with concrete to make the surface safe for the housing estates and a school built above. But an MOD site also lies above part of the mine, and Kit suspects the danger has been exaggerated to r
Paul Kerr
Jul 17, 2010 Paul Kerr rated it really liked it
Got this through a UK bookclub not really knowing much about the author or book. I was pleasantly surprised - a really strong debut from this author, particularly with the development of the main female character and her interactions within the hostile work environment she finds herself in while pursuing her underground passion. The intertwining storylines are well worked and I found the final resolution very satisfying. Highly recommended author and one to look out for in the future.
Karen
Jul 02, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
"Corax the Raven - the messenger of the gods. Just when you think life is on track, along comes a socking great bird, squawking news of a divine quest. My advice is, shoot the bloody thing....."

The quote at the start of CROW STONE hinted at something with a very dry, quirky sense of humour and it definitely delivers - on the lighter moments, with good characterisation and a tremendous, taut, tense and frequently disturbing plot.

Katie was a little girl in Bath, living with her overbearing father,
Joss
Mar 14, 2014 Joss rated it really liked it
Having enjoyed The Buried Circle (set in Avebury), I thought I'd like this too, and did. Set in and around Bath, it too has an archaeological theme, a strong female protagonist and a family mystery but is quite different. A real page turner that keeps the reader guessing until the end!
Helen
Very interesting since I live near Bath and am interested in archaeology and paleontology. Something of a thriller. Includes dark secrets, so not the best of bedtime reading. I thought that the ending fizzled a little.
Sibylle Seys smets
Jun 19, 2014 Sibylle Seys smets rated it did not like it
Début plutôt agréable, plus chick lit que thriller, mais tout devient vite si prévisible, et les ficelles sont si énormes qu on se lasse et qu on abandonne. Belle intention mais loupé par manque de finesse.
Jun 20, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
This was such a cool book! The way she wrote it with all the small questions you will have kept me flipping the pages, and the ending was sweet ^_^
Gill
May 11, 2015 Gill rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The plots interweave backwards and forwards through time and in and out of the maze of tunnels.
Jonathan
I really enjoyed this book. It was a long book for me - sometimes prefer shorter reads but the plot was well done. A lot of moving between times and her friendship and love interest were well done.
As well as this there was a constant tension between the main characters past and present lives and also the environment she was currently in and what she had to deal with.
Well worth the effort. I also liked the getting to know the author section at the back, info about the research she carried out an
Jessica Gong
Mar 15, 2014 Jessica Gong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march-2014
I thought that this book was well written,and put your heart at risk as the stories play out in front of you
Sharron
Jul 09, 2011 Sharron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"An addictive, high quality psychological thriller", "Nail biting suspense" that's what the reviews on the book cover said, don't believe everything you read I got to page 405 before something actually happened!! Didn't grab me at any point and at times it was boring, I only stuck with it as I was sure that something good might happen, alas, it doesn't. There are questions left unanswered and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Aug 13, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
What an excellent first book.. i was hooked and drawn in from the start...
Set in and around Bath and the quarries i felt really claustrophobic reading about underground tunnels, a network of them..all honeycombing a hill. The plot was really good.. I felt for teenage Katie and admired Kit's determination to stay in her job despite some really dreadful people around her in the mining workforce..
Robin
Aug 05, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-this
Although, it was a bit slow in places and a bit depressing in others, by the time I got to the last 150 pages I couldn't put it down. I must confess to staying up until the wee hours of the morning just to finish it. The male characters seemed more interesting to me and, indeed, I am not sure I would have made it through the book without Gary and Martin...

All in all, a good read.
MB
Feb 04, 2011 MB rated it really liked it
A really well-done mystery with some interesting twists.

When she's crawling into the caves beneath the earth, she made me feel what the narrator was feeling. I felt those sharp stones digging into my back; felt the frustration and rage when people wouldn't listen; felt the pressing desire to keep the past buried.

Will happily look for more from this author.
Windy
Sep 11, 2012 Windy rated it really liked it
Story of a mining engineer who is called to a job which brings back memories of a troubled childhood. The childhood story is revealed in snippets throughout the book. A really good plot overall but I felt it lacked depth and I spotted several errors in the research which disappointed me.
Cath
Aug 08, 2010 Cath rated it liked it
Romance and engineering. This author thought it would work, this reader thought not. Bored by this novel's technical stuff which is interwoven with good chapters concerning lead character's teenage years. These were the better bits & I found myself skipping on to read them.
Andy Plonka
Jul 09, 2011 Andy Plonka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archaeology, myth, stone quarries with a healthy dose dysfunctional families crawling around in caves and tunnels. It's an eerie book that draws you in pretty quickly and keeps your interest throughout.
Jess
Sep 19, 2010 Jess rated it liked it
A peculiar tale...set in a ficticious part of Somerset...keep me turning the pages though
Tanya
Oct 21, 2011 Tanya rated it liked it
A very good read, will be looking out for more from this author :-)
Ros
Jun 11, 2012 Ros rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read set in Bath about a caver and archeologist
Zitacortez
Zitacortez marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Melissa Patterson
Melissa Patterson is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2016
Daniella
Daniella marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Vandenplas Iris
Vandenplas Iris marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Marleen Meuleman
Marleen Meuleman rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Maria
Maria added it
Jan 18, 2016
amfsp
amfsp added it
Jan 17, 2016
Xan
Xan rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Yee Kien
Yee Kien marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Spider Light
  • The Promised Land
  • Blackmoor
  • truecrime
  • The Bay of Love and Sorrows
  • The Red Velvet Turnshoe (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #2)
  • Stranded
  • The Chosen Child
  • Kissing the Mask: Beauty, Understatement, and Femininity in Japanese Noh Theater
  • Pistache