Start by marking “A Cache of Corpses (Steve Martinez, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Cache of Corpses (Steve Martinez, #3)

A Cache of Corpses (Steve Martinez #3)

Porcupine City is a peaceful little town in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The residents enjoy a quiet life far removed from the comings and goings of larger cities. The kind of town where everyone knows everyone else and good-natured gossip is a prime source of entertainment. It's certainly the last place anyone would think of using as the backdrop for a high-tech, high-thri ...more
Published November 27th 2007 by Forge

To ask other readers questions about A Cache of Corpses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cache of Corpses

Jan 27, 2016 Eric_W rated it really liked it
I do enjoy the Martinez series. Steve, the half Lakota deputy, is running for Sheriff at the behest of Alex, his state trooper friend, and several others in the county. He’s been quite successful in clearing some murder cases and has developed a reputation. Someone is now leaving headless and handless cadavers in assorted places. It’s a bizarre scheme involving geocaching. A bit weird.

There really isn’t much of a mystery, it’s more of a police procedural, and it’s quite clear who the bad guys a
Jul 07, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Andrew
Shelves: mysteries
A very different mystery (in a good way)! I'd never heard of geocaching and the explanations were clear and easy to grasp. I just love Steve Martinez and I really loved the last chapter of the book - very touching.
Dec 19, 2011 Zinta rated it really liked it
[Three 1/2 stars] When I recently remarked to a writer-friend who writes a mystery series based in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, “But you’re the only one who writes about the U.P., right?,” he gave me a long, meaningful gaze. You know, the kind of gaze that makes you realize you’ve just said something really stoopid. So I did some online researching. Yeah. I did say something stoopid.

I got a list of U.P. authors, a very long list, I might add, and among them was Henry Kisor. My writer-friend had r
Dec 10, 2007 Kevin rated it liked it
Cache is the third in a series featuring Deputy Steve Martinez a Lakota Indian who was raised by a Methodist preacher in upstate New York but who found a home and a career in Upper Peninsula Michigan.

The "cache" of the title is a play on the hook for the novel's plot: the modern day treasure hunt hobby of geocaching. When Martinez finds a headless body wrapped in a plastic bag he has no idea that it will connect him to this burgeoning hobby and prove to be one of his most difficult, and dangerou
Jun 21, 2008 David rated it it was ok
I liked it okay overall but the logical leap the lead character makes from corpses to caches is just what it says in the book (and I paraphrase) "a coincidence that only happens in dime-store mysteries."

The character was refering to a different aspect of it, but it holds true anyway.

If the coded numbers had been deciphered least enough to know the digits and the sequence, then maybe the leap would have made more sense, but not the way things happend in the book. At the point in t
Jun 06, 2010 Sharonm rated it liked it
A mystery based on a rogue geocaching event with dead bodies serving as the caches. The angle was intriguing and there was a lot of hiking and description of outdoors. However, the characterization was flat and the writing style very plain and straightforward. The last chapter was a tying up of all the ends – very formulaic mystery.
Aug 07, 2008 Alesia rated it liked it
Okay, I admit it was the squirrel holding a spent cartridge on the cover that got my attention.

I am not a fan of first person narrative, and this was rather slow going for the first half of the book. However, once it got moving, it kept on at a good clip.

Some good ideas & characters. Plus it's set in Michigan, which is kind of cool.
Joe O'c
Aug 22, 2011 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Steve Martinez; bodies are turning up in the U.P. and seem tied to a "geocaching" contest; while dealing with that Martinez is also running to unseat the current sheriff
Bonnie S.
May 29, 2008 Bonnie S. rated it liked it
This is a story about something called geocaching. I'd never heard of it. You hide something in a place with a specific satelite coordinance. Then you give clues so people can locate it and add to it. Only there is a twist to this story. The Caches are bodies. A good mystery and quick read.
Holly Ristau
Jan 27, 2014 Holly Ristau rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this mystery because it contained geocaching, a murder mystery, Native slants on life, and an upper Midwest background.
Jan 16, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Interesting characters and setting. Good story. Not sure that I would read other books in the series.
Oct 04, 2012 Dave rated it liked it
I continue to like the core stories, but some of the asides are repetitive, really obvious, and really get in the way of the flow of the story.
Harry Lane
Aug 23, 2012 Harry Lane rated it really liked it
This is a three star mystery, light and entertaining. I uprated it because of the author's descriptions of the setting in the upper peninsula of Michigan.
Beverly Laude
Oct 02, 2014 Beverly Laude rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2014
Really enjoyed this book. Readers of the Longmire series would like this series as well. Great characters, some humor & likeable main characters. I'll have to find more books by Mr. Kisor!
Feb 02, 2008 Dave rated it it was ok
Shelves: crimedetnoir
Okay book. Not so great of a mystery. Seems like a series that could develop into something good. Characters are a little 2 dimensional at the moment.
Dec 06, 2007 colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: scpl, mystery, 2007
read 12.06.07
This is the first book I've read by this author. It was well written and moved along well; no boring parts. I'll definitely read his other books.
Bill Hall
Bill Hall rated it it was ok
Nov 07, 2011
Steve rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
♞ Pat Gent
♞ Pat Gent rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Sean Karsten
Sean Karsten rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Steve rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Tina rated it did not like it
May 20, 2008
John rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Aug 15, 2010 Bree rated it liked it
started a bit slow, but picked up speed around the middle and had a great ending
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Kandi Bailey
Kandi Bailey rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2008
Debbie Phillips
Debbie Phillips rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2012
John Bohnert
John Bohnert rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Tina rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2016
Paula rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Steve Martinez (3 books)
  • Season's Revenge (Steve Martinez, #1)
  • A Venture into Murder (Steve Martinez, #2)