Start by marking “Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go To Sleep” as Want to Read:
Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go To Sleep
Preview

Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go To Sleep

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Little bunny Willa is scared to go to sleep, just in case she has a bad dream. She asks her older brother Willoughby for help. Wise Willoughby knows that she just needs to think of all happy things that will be waiting for her in the morning...

A beautiful text by one of our best-loved authors, illustrated in an adorable style, this book has won widespread critical acclaim.
Paperback
Published September 2nd 1999 by Corgi Childrens (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go To Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go To Sleep

Kathryn
A wonderfully sweet, reassuring bedtime story from Joyce Dunbar with snuggly-adorable illustrations by Debi Gilori. I loved how the story centers on an older brother helping his sister overcome her reluctance to fall asleep (for fear she'll have nightmares) by showing her all the things that are eagerly awaiting the morning--all happy thoughts for her to focus on so her mind will drift off to sleep worry-free. (Reminds me of the fabulous big brother Charlie of "Charlie and Lola") Highly recommen ...more
Leeanne Sweeney
This is a delightfully sweet book about two bunnies which are brother and sister. Little bunny Willa is reluctant to fall asleep because she is afraid of having bad dreams. Willa’s older brother Willoughby, comforts Willa by reminding her of all the happy things (her chicken slippers, her blue and white jumpsuit, ingredients for breakfast, her toys and the morning itself) that are eagerly awaiting her in the morning.

Joyce Dunbar has written this story in a way that is simple, but meaningful, wit
Candice
Aug 25, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
This is a sweet and reassuring book about the love and support a lucky child can find in an older sibling. Little bunny Willa can't go to sleep because she is afraid of having bad dreams. Big brother Willoughby says and does all the right things to put his sister at ease. He tells her that her chicken slippers are waiting for nobody's feet but hers. The bread and honey and oats and milk and apples in the kitchen are all waiting to be made into breakfast for brother and sister to share. Her toys ...more
Maureen Jehling
Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go to Sleep, by Joyce Dunbar, is a fictional story about two bunnies that are siblings to one another. Willa, a bunny, is having a hard time sleeping because she is at the age where many exaggerated fears are created in their heads. But luckily she has a caring older brother named Willoughby who helps ease that issue. The author includes many different examples as to why going to sleep at night isn't just as scary as children may think. But go ahead and read it f ...more
Niken
"And when the morning comes and wakes me up, will you still be here?" asked Willa.

"I'll still be here," said Willoughby.

"Good," said Willa. "That's the happiest thing of all!"

"Good night, Willa."

Hmmmm.... (^-^)
Marcia
A sweet and reassuring bedtime story for a little rabbit who can't get to sleep. Big brother helps her to see all the things she loves just waiting for her to come back in the morning. Soft, cute illustrations are soothing, just right for a bedtime read.
Oblongata
Coming to the end of the book... I was actually dozing off...lol this book can surely make you sleepy. o_o
Jvanvelsor
I LOVE this boom. Tender sibling love story with a message to all about happy
Kaylee Warzecha
Very sweet book about a brother and sister getting ready for bed.
Bree
Notes:
big brother helping sister so she won't be afraid of bad dreams; cute pictures but story is just okay
Lindsay
This is another cute story that I used for both bilingual and Spanish story time programs as part of a bunnies and nighttime theme. In this story, a little girl bunny (I can't remember the name they used in the Spanish version) can't sleep, so her older brother shows her several things that will be waiting for her when she wakes up.

I do like this story a bit better than Flora's Blanket, which is also a bunny/going to sleep story. Both Flora's Blanket and Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go to B
Rachel Salinas
I love how this book highlights all of the simple things to be grateful for before falling asleep. And it beautifully shows a young child how to not be afraid of the dark, to feel secure in his bedroom, and to look forward to the morning. It's also a wonderful example of a loving, nurturing, older sibling.
Jenna
The genre of this story is realistic fiction. This is a story about a bunny that can’t sleep so he asks his big brother how to fall asleep. The big brother comes up with numerous things that usually help him fall asleep. This would be a good book for a child who has trouble sleeping to read.
Allison Burke
This is such a sweet book. It's about a rabbit who can't sleep and has her brother tell her happy things that she has in her life to cheer her up and not be afraid at night. This is a great book for younger kids because almost every child gets scared before bedtime at some point. Grades prek-2nd
Becca Holcomb
This book shows how a scared little bunny is given courage by her older brother. When the little bunny is scared to fall asleep because of nightmares, her older brother reminds her of all the happy things in her life. This is a good read for young learners.
Dolly
Feb 09, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
An adorable bedtime story that illustrates a close relationship between siblings, with the older brother helping the younger sister go to sleep. Very sweet. We really enjoyed reading this book together and have read it a couple of times.
Jen
Little Willa is having a hard time falling asleep, so she asks her older brother to help her by telling her things that make her happy before she falls asleep. Very cute book that many of my students have enjoyed.
Chrystal
I loved this book. The artwork is adorable and the siblings are so cute together. I also liked the hopeful attitude and gratitude for simple things in life. I am glad my girls experienced it.
Angela Nelson
I love the story of the older bunny taking care of his younger sister. This would be really helpful for young children who do not want to go to sleep. Cute pictures.
Kristalyn
Another one of our favorites for our young toddlers. A wonderfully SWEET story about a big brother trying to help his little sister who can't sleep.
Nicole
This is one of our favorite bedtime stories. We have checked it out from the library so many times that I finally hunted down a copy to buy!
Donna
One of my favourite childhood books and the first book I remember asking to be bought! (seriously it's really cute, you should read it).
Amanda
Cute story of a rabbit who has trouble going to sleep and has sibling tell many different happy things before going to bed.
Madison
Willa is afraid to sleep so Her older brother shows her the great things that are waiting for the next day.
Suzy Platt
A very lovely story, my 2 year daughter loved snuggling up while I read this to her for her bedtime story.
Clara Dearmore Strom
Too much text for storytime, but a nice story if you child has a longer than average attention span.
Emma
I, like, always read this book. It is sooooooo good. And sweet. LOOOOOOOOOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!
Noel Arndt Caryl
Tanner loved this little story about thinking about good / happy things before going to bed
Chelsea
A really sweet book. Big brother bunny helps his little sister to not be afraid to go to sleep.
  • Little Quack's Bedtime
  • No Matter What
  • What Does Bunny See?: A Book of Colors and Flowers
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Sleepyhead
  • Grandfather Twilight
  • 10 Minutes till Bedtime
  • Ten Tiny Babies
  • What Grandmas Do Best / What Grandpas Do Best
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • Mother, Mother, I Want Another
  • Just in Case You Ever Wonder
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • In a Blue Room
Shoe Baby The Monster Who Ate Darkness Puss Jekyll Cat Hyde Tell Me What It's Like to Be Big This Is the Star