Start by marking “Dangling” as Want to Read:
Dangling

Dangling

On a shimmery summer day, eleven-year-old Ben watches his too tall, bird-crazy best friend, Ring, wade into the river. Everyone else is laughing and talking on the riverbank, paying no mind. Ring turns and gives them all one last look -- and disappears.Day after agonizing day, Ben waits for news of his friend. In the meantime, he tries to sort out a jumble of thoughts and ...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Dangling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangling

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Oh my goodness where do I begin?! At first I was kind of like where did the kid go? Then it bounced real quick in the past. It was like a sad quick tennis match. I think it could have been better with out all the flashbacks. That's why they have prologue's at the begining to explain before hand.
Jacob
Apr 25, 2016 Jacob rated it it was ok
Dangling by Lillian Eige is about a eleven year old boy named Ben and his best friend Ring. Ben and Ring and their families were playing and swimming in a river, laughing and having a good time when they noticed Ring wasn't there. Everyone had seen Ring floating down the river but then he was gone from their sight. Everyone thought something very bad had happened to Ring. Day after day Ben waits for his friend to show up hoping he hadn't drowned. Ben spends his time thinking about memories he ...more
Steve Clark
While less of a thrilling mystery than it appears at first glance, the narrator and his friend Ring are well developed characters that turn out to be pleasantly sympathetic in the end. The book can get confusing at times, and those looking for a steady stream of action will likely find it frustrating. In the end it is a simple but fairly moving tale of a lost boy who only wanted to find a home.
Aileen Stewart
May 25, 2010 Aileen Stewart rated it really liked it
At first I had a difficult time getting into this book because of the flashback way in which it was written, but after a few chapters, I couldn't seem to put the book down. Dangling is a well crafted story about friendship, family, and wanting to belong. The characters show, that family is not necessarily who or what you are born into but can be who or what you choose.
Alexis
May 13, 2009 Alexis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book seemed to carry a very interesting mystery about it when the protagonist's best friend disappears into the lake during a summer picnic. However, by the end of the story you wonder why you spent the time reading bc the ending is such a let down. It is not nearly as mysterious as was first thought to be.
Katie Clark
Aug 20, 2011 Katie Clark rated it really liked it
Shelves: 6th-grade-class
This book kept my interest, but like the narrator, I felt unease throughout it. The story was jangled. Each chapter slipped into a flashback, but was written in the present tense. However, the story line and the main character, Ring, made the style of writing seem utterly suited.
Trish
Aug 24, 2008 Trish rated it really liked it
Shelves: grades-6-8
I read this book in our Landeen library some time ago, so the details are a little sketchy to me. The one thing I remember is that it had a twist to it that I never saw coming. I found the plot refreshingly unique.
Jess
Nov 29, 2010 Jess rated it it was ok
this book was really strange. it started off completely mysterious and enigmatic...and then it kind of lost that as the ending drew near. i find that happens a lot when it comes to books and movies. the foreplay is always more thrilling than the climax.
CLM
Aug 02, 2007 CLM rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
I read a very positive review of this book so hunted it down but just found it sad. The central character is an odd and very sensitive little boy, yearning for a friend, and hiding a secret about his background and that of his eccentric parents.
Quanah Tonihka
Nov 17, 2015 Quanah Tonihka rated it it was amazing
i like this book because how he loses his friend in the river. Also how he has the flash back to when he was there with him. Also i like ring personalty cause at his home he doesn't have real picture or windows they paint on there walls like windows.
Doug-jen
Enjoyable afternoon read. I enjoyed the characters and appreciate the difficult situation of Ring and the foster care system being available for middle grades to discuss.
Lizzy S.
Lizzy S. rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2011
Lisa Hakes
Lisa Hakes rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2013
Helena E.
Helena E. rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Karen Siddall
Karen Siddall rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2008
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Krystal Heins
Krystal Heins rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
June
June rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2012
❀angela
❀angela rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2013
Mramprasad
Mramprasad rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Richele
Richele rated it it was ok
May 07, 2016
Janette Liers
Janette Liers rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Mikhaila
Mikhaila rated it liked it
May 22, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
May 12, 2008
Clarissa
Jul 19, 2013 Clarissa rated it it was amazing
Very fun characters. Quick read.